Checkredireturned check

K

I had a returned check that was written to the school for $10.00. It bounced because of forgetting about it and not balancing it in. I received a bill from checkredi for $40.00 to cover the check. I sent them a money order for $40.00 and two months later I received a letter and the money order in the mail from Shepps and associates stating that I now owe $210.00. Can they really do this? I paid the bill. They have not tried to contact me by phone even though the letter states that they have. I do not know who these people are. I have called and left messages and I get no response. I have now gotten another letter in the mail stating that I have 7 days to pay the 210.00. They are saying that my payment was a "partial payment". I really dont know what to do from here...

Samy007 Jul 11, 2012

Does the letter you received from Sheps and Associates have a telephone number?
    Did you call them?
    How old is the check?
    Second was this a first or second notice from Checkredi?
    Did Checkredi forwarded your money order to Sheps and Associates?

• Et
    ethos Aug 05, 2012

stop being a fool kimmy. get on google and look for cease and desist letters. next fire one to them and include the proof of payment done.
    now kimmy you said you do not know who these people are. and you paid them $210? how? and just how do u agree to a go from 10 to 210, are you nuts? you are classic case waiting to happen to a nigerian scammer or the latest, the indian scammers. don't go through life being so ignorant. get on google and don't play nice with scammers. buy an air horn and blow it on the phone. trust me it works, they get the hint real quick not to mess with you.
    ordinarily $40 is ok. but these scammers don't stop there, they keep pushing to see if you are a soft target from whom they can extract more and more $$$. so what you needed to do is attach the money order copy to the $40 bill and mail it to them as proof it was cleared with a cease and desist letter.
    btw did you check with your bank if they had passed on this bouncy fee to these scammers? or will the bank come later and tell you that you have never paid the fee?

• Et
    ethos Aug 05, 2012

btw mail should be certified, return receipt requested and not electronic access to your accounts. money orders will suffice.

Samy007 Aug 08, 2012

Unfortunately Kimmy looks like you may have validated the debt by paying on it.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices