CenterPoint Energy Logo

CenterPoint Energy

Having problems with CenterPoint Energy?

CenterPoint Energy reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Mar 18, 2007. The latest review can not get someone to come out to do a metro upgrade been for a week and get different answers each time i call was posted on Sep 16, 2021. The latest complaint poor customer service, fraudulent practices was resolved on Aug 29, 2014. CenterPoint Energy has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 165 reviews. CenterPoint Energy has resolved 36 complaints.

CenterPoint Energy Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 992 7552 (Arkansas)
+1 877 224 6735 (California)
+1 866 275 5252 (North Louisiana)
+1 800 477 0177 (South Louisiana)
+1 800 245 2377 (Minnesota, Residential)
+1 612 321 4939 (Minnesota, Commercial)
+1 800 371 5417 (Mississippi)
+1 877 807 5193 (Wyoming)
+1 866 275 5265 (Oklahoma)
+1 800 752 8036 (Texas, Houston Metro)
+1 800 376 9663 (Texas, Beaumont)
+1 800 259 5544 (Texas, East Texas)
+1 800 427 7142 (Texas, South Texas)
P.O. Box 4583
Houston, Texas
United States - 77210-4583
Minnesota, General Correspondence
CenterPoint Energy, 505 Nicollet Mall, P.O. Box 59038, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55459-0038

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with CenterPoint Energy Customer Service. Initial CenterPoint Energy complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for CenterPoint Energy above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about CenterPoint Energy. Discuss the issues you have had with CenterPoint Energy and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

CenterPoint Energy Complaints & Reviews, Page 7

CenterPoint — Smart Meter Installation

Three months ago, Centerpoint installed a smart meter at my home. Since then, I have been experiencing very...

Centerpoint Energy — 83a (superviser in houston office)

I am very Shocked that Centerpoint Energy employs such individiuals, that lack human Morals!This individual...

Centerpoint Energyreconnect fee

CenterPoint Energy disconnected my gas without giving me a formal warning. CenterPoint Energy never called me to let me know that my account was past due. They never left a red tag on my door warning about the disconnection.

CenterPoint disconnected my gas over a $42.72 bill And then they charged me $60 to reconnect my gas. It took them two days to get someone out to my house to reconnect my service. Plus, they insisted that I be there for them to reconnect. They didn't have a problem disconnecting my gas without my presence. Imagine that!

Yeah! That's right. They disconnected my gas over being last on a $47.72 bill. And then CenterPoint Energy charged me $60 to reconnect the gas. Price gouging.

I want everyone to know about

• Gr
      GraceAtwood May 25, 2011

They are awful and they have you over a barrel. This has happened to us twice. My husband receives the billing notice in his e-mail, and he doesn't check his e-mail half the time. I don't even know the date it's due and I have asked him numerous times to change it to paper billing. This time we did get a cut-off notice, but the date due showed 5/26 on the top of the bill and on the cut off notice side, said 5/21. Well, our gas was cut off yesterday. My husband got them to turn it back on by not only paying the disconnect fee, but you have to pay an additional $45.00 to move ahead of the line. Since this has happened one other time, he was keen on getting it turned back on before I got home. So a $75.33 bill ended up costing $161.69. They really could care less--why give good Customer Service when you're the only game in town? The day I have a choice, I will be moving service from Centerpoint. I don't think writing to the PUC will do any good, but I'm going to do it anyway.

• Sh
      Shipp Dec 27, 2010

They disconnected mine over a 50.00 bill without warning or tag on my door on a Wednesday. I didn't realize it was off until Thursday, but by then they were closed for the Christmas holiday. The only way I ever reached someone was to say that there was a gas leak, but that lady just told me that I would have to wait till Monday (even with a 5 month old and when temps were going to drop to 28 over the weekend). I called 7:00 sharp Monday morning and was told I would have to pay 60.00 to reconnect and was then told that they were all booked up for that day so it would be Tuesday before someone could come out. If I wanted same day service it would be a 47.00 fee.

Charterwood Resident Oct 13, 2010

I meant to say "They disconnected my gas over being late on a $47.72 bill" Late on such a small amount. I had to pay 150% of my bill to get them to reconnect my gas. What a RIPOFF!!!

CenterPoint — Wrongful disconnection

For anyone who is having a problem with Centerpoint here are a list of direct phone numbers for managers. I...

Centerpoint Energycustomer service

CenterPoint Energy has THE WORST Cusomter "Service" I have EVER experienced in my life! Plain and simple. Just read the other complaints here. They have a monopoly in some areas and do not care how the customer is treated. They will make you feel like and idiot and demean you every chance they get you on the phone. If they get tired of hearing your story, they will just put you on hold and never return to the line. They are combative and rude. I've never posted a complaint on any company in my life, so it has to be pretty bad for me to do this ...

• Mr
        Mrbigpants Jul 15, 2011

Centerpoint is run by criminals, ala Enron. They are being sued by the city of Houston for millions of overcharged $! Of course they don't care about us! ### Beck and Masten put up a Kia dealership right behind my house and CP scummies put 3 huge oil filled tranformers 2 ft behind my property on a pole. And they dug 4 foot deep holes on my property with out notice to access a gas line, now its a sinkhole because they did not fill it in well.

jOHN Q. CITIZEN Sep 22, 2010

CENTERPOINT ENERGY SUCKS LARGE AMOUNTS OF ###!!!

• To
        towercam Apr 05, 2010

I bought this house last year. I though I'd set up all the accounts for all the utilities. Evidently not. CPE, the gas provider decided I was overdue and shut off the gas. I suffered through a weekend of no space heat, stove-oven cooking or hot water. I paid the fees and penalty charge and have since then been trying to set up what they call AUTOMATIC BANK DRAFT. I keep trying, but have had no success so far. I follow their instructions carefully and still no confirmation of AUTOMATIC BANK DRAFT. I FAXED in the application several times. I've applied online for AUTOMATIC BANK DRAFT several times too. My conversations with CPE representatives have been a waste of time thus far. Today's telephonic representative actually asked for my phone number so that some one could call me back. I actually bought it. I'm agreeing that CPE needs a radical reshuffling of suits and mindsets. They're doing a whole lot wrong in the Customer Service area. Shame on the suits of CenterPoint Energy. I'd like to be part of a class action suit against CPE too! CPE deserves to be taken down several pegs. They're abusing their position; a bad idea for a modern corporation.

• Ta
        Tashah Mar 17, 2010

Centerpoint energy could quite possibly have the worst customer service call center I have ever talked to. I attempted to pay my gas bill online but couldn't get my password correct and after answering the security questions and resetting my password I found out I was locked out. So I call to make a payment over the phone and get cut off before I get a confirmation number. I call customer service to check to see if the payment went through and they can't help me, I have to call the place they use for payments. At this point I'm really frustrated and voice my frustration to the person I spoke to, she could care less. I told her that I found this unsettling and that I found it hard to believe that she couldn't check for me. If she can't that's bad on their end, if she can she's just lazy. Either way I'm not helped and getting more peeved. Then I tell her that I'm locked out of my online account and I need to get that cleared up. She tells me that I need to reset up my account. I tell her it was a pain the first time and that I find it hard to believe that someone can't reset it for me. She said you owe us money and who else are you going to get your gas from? I told her I needed to speak to her supervisor, she told me that they don't do that. What kind of customer service is this? The Indian guy at the pay center was more helpful than she was. No wonder we are getting outsourced!
        I feel used and helpless here and I really don't know who to complain to as they don't seem to give a $*!^

Centerpoint Energyinflated billing, terrible customer service

Bought a single-family house in Houston and moved in in late April. First gas bill, for just 8 billing days, came to almost $150 for gas usage alone -- they said my daily gas CCF was in the double digits! (I just got my 2nd bill, for 31 days, and it was just $22.) Called to complain. They sent a guy to check the meter and he took a reading then left. Got a letter a week later saying my complaint was not valid. Sent them two letters with evidence to detail my complaint and they just ignored them. Called to complain again and they said too bad. Their billing info booklet gives no concrete info about contacting regulatory agencies. (Or maybe it's just that here in Texas, these crooks aren't regulated!) Have dealt with half a dozen gas companies in the past and CenterPoint Energy is by far the absolutely worst. Anyone who knows which gov't agency I should contact please let me know, thanks.

• Tk
          tkebh979 Mar 03, 2011

Texas Railroad Commission: http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/compliance/complaints/homegascomplaint.php#3

Centerpoint Energy — harrassement of customers (at their home)

June 7, 2010 5:32pm, Eden Prairie, MN A man claiming to be with Centerpoint arrived at my door while my two...

Centerpoint Energysevice

This email is expressing my disgust with the subpar service and unfair treatment I have received from center point regarding my natural gas service. Last month center point claimed my gas billed totaled 188.00. Because I have never had a gas bill larger than 40 dollars, I disputed the charge; even though the customer service representative did his best to try to reassure me center point was correct in the charges of 188.00. I also asked the representative if I needed to set up any payment arrangements anyway, because I did not want to have my service interrupted especially if this was no mistake on my part. I was told not to make a payment until I was contacted by center point. A month had gone by and I heard noting form center point until they came to my home to cut off my gas, in the middle of cold weather. When I spoke with customer service, I asked why I was not notified and she claimed there was a notice sent via U.S mail, which I never received, notifying me of an attempt to collect payment. She also claimed there was a call made and a message left, which I have not received. All in all, at the end of the day my service was interrupted because the 50 dollar payment I made (on my own not having received any communication from center point regarding my bill issues) was not enough. It was 38 dollars short of the adjusted bill from the month prior which came out to be 88 dollars instead of 188.00. At this point to restore my service it cost me the $38 dollars that was the remainder of the bill, $60 reconnect fee, and a $90 deposit. I asked if I could have the service restored the same day and I was told I could for a$50 fee. This was an upsetting situation on my part because the interruption of my service all came down to center point making a mistake by attempting to overcharge me on my bill, and then not notifying me of the corrections. Even though this was not my fault I attempted to rectify the issue by making the payments with no argument. I did not have the all the money to pay to have my service reconnected the same day, but as a loyal customer I asked a supervisor if I could just be billed for the charges because it was detrimental I had the service restored because I am alone with 2 small children. The representative was rude and simply told me no. When I asked if I could speak with someone else I was told no but he would have them call me. This all began on Thursday February 25 and today is February 28th and I have not heard from anyone regarding the issue and I and my two children are in a home with no heat, no hot water, and no way to cook. I know center point does not give a damn about me being a single mother trying to make it, but as a loyal customer I felt as though I was treated as if I were a customer who never pays their bill, and as if I were being unreasonable. I was willing to pay the ridiculous charges which were put on me by no fault of my own. This whole situation has come because I disputed the charges on a bill, which was determined to be WRONG. This seems as though it’s a plot to scam money from me, all because center point was not able to get me to agree with the bill they previously sent out. And even if I were late on the bill by my own fault…. $38??? Really??? Center point would not go into bankruptcy if I refused to pat this amount. Today we are home with no service and I intend on taking this complaint as far as it will go. I hope someone will contact me so I can have a chance to further explain and express my disgust with the lack of respect or customers and the attempt to scam money f room those who are considered “loyal” customers.

• Tx
            TxsonofLiberty Dec 02, 2011

Some other states have deregulation in Gas like we did in electricity. Hopefully soon Texas will be deregulated...

Maybe we should form a nice protest/picket line... see how they like hundreds... thousands... may tens or hundreds of thousands of people converging and complaining at once.

• Nu
            NURSINTX Mar 16, 2010

Feeling your pain!! They just now cut off my gas and to have it restored it is costing me more than the bill that is owed. It's not like I have a choice to just find another company. Ridiculous. This is America isn't it? Shouldn't we have a CHOICE?

• Bo
            Bob Oct 29, 2007

Is your account current? Do you need a city inspection?

• Ti
            Tito Echiburu Oct 23, 2007

It has been 2 months that I am trying for the above Co. to reconnect gas service. I have called every week , at least three times a week, to find out why it has not been done. Sometimes I get different answers, but at the end they assure me that it will be taking care, but to no avail. My account # is [protected]. Some of the service people are very rude. I will keep trying, but I believe somebody in this Co. ought to know that their customer service is horrible.

Centerpoint Energygas bills

I am the executrix of a house left to me and others when my uncle died. I live 350 miles from this empty house. The house was empty for a year and a half and up for sale. The gas bills were off the chart. I have made many calls to them and have written a letter. No one answered the letter or called about it. I hired a plumber to check out leaks in the home - no leaks. Center Point does nothing. They can't explain why I have these bills. The gas hot water tank is turned off, and the gas heating system is off. People never call you back. The people you speak to have no idea what is going on. I have a list of all the dates I have called them and whom I have spoken to. The house sold in Dec. and today I had the new owners call me and asked about the high bills. When the last bill was off the chart again, I told them I wouldn't pay it and they made a note of that and said they would have someone call me. NOTHING Then I got a statement telling me they were turning me over to a collection agency. If anyone owes money, it is them. They owe me hundreds for their problem that they have not attempted to address.

Centerpoint Energynon-email response

It all started when I had to connect my gas service. It was on a Friday. I left a callback number for Centerpoint to use in order to gain access just 'outside' to connect the gas for the apt. they didnt call the contact. And left a note on door. Okay so I let it go. Called the company and they were to bring someone out on Monday. Okay, i dealt with it. Mind you it was 38 degrees outside. So that meant i couldnt stay in my apt for that weekened (but oh yea still paying rent). Anyway- but come Monday afternoon -no one has showed up and I made sure I had someone at my apartment waiting in 38 degree weather with no heater nothing!! I call Centerpoint and they said, 'no it's not to be hooked up till tuesday". Hell, no! I had to insist that customer rep told me Monday. She said ok well I will have to charge you . There's no way I told myself. I ended up getting the fee waived luckily and service got turned on that afternoon. Ok- I guess they did something right FOR NOW. so get this i did a bill payment to be withdrawn automatically on 2/5. My bill was due shortly after. It was 2/8 and nothing debited from my bank account. So I made a manual payment. I then sent an email to the company informing them to only charge my account once. Never received response. on 2/12 they charged my account twice. I sent another email and again no response. their quote: they will respond within 24 hours. DID NOT HAPPEN!!. they are money -hungry and i have pay to pay my bills too! dont get me started

• Kemps Apr 13, 2013

You should have paid your bill on time. It is not the gas companies fault you did not pay so they had to send out an emplyee who they paid to shut you off. Not to mention all of the other costs incured to shut you off. They did send out notice because the system does that automatically. This is your own fault dumb head.

Centerpoint Energyperfectly legal

Having been employed in the Centerpoint offices for many years, I can tell you that everything we do here is perfectly legal. People call us fraudsters every day. We are accused of running rip-off schemes and even stealing/misplacing our own gas to artificially inflate retail prices. I can tell you with certainty that whatever level of illegal activity is happening here is not enough to warrant the upset I've seen on boards like these, especially considering that our activities (legal or not) are industry standard and are not attracting negative attention from FERC. You, the public, elected the folks who appointed the FERC officials, and thereby created the laws that govern companies like Centerpoint. If you don't like the fact that we are the only game in town for gas or residential electric maintenance or that we play for-profit hardball just like every other energy related company, then maybe you should have thought about that when you made your voting decisions a couple years back. If you are expecting great customer service or something, I'm sorry but that is a completely unreasonable request considering the lack of competition. Customer service improvements are expensive and will not affect our sales in the slightest and would therefore be silly to consider. Bottom line is just 'get over it'. Your complaints are not getting you anywhere, and in some cases could be construed as libel.

• Va
                  valarius1491 Aug 27, 2015

Centrepoint is a total and complete scam and I wonder why the government hasn't looked into them by now. I wanted to set auto pay on my debt card and was told "Sorry we only band drafts" every company in the USa takes debit cards. I looked for another company to change over to and What? they have a monopoly on gas? There numerous electric companies you an change over to but gas??? No only Centerpoint. Their practices are so bad you can talk to one repm hang up and talk to another rep and get two different answers to the sane questions. As for talking with supervisors, hell I can talk to the Pope easier then to one of them. ITS A TOTAL SCAM and nothing is being done about it? Someone is getting paid under the table big time to protect these bums!

• Ha
                  Hates_Centerpoint Feb 24, 2011

Legality, really? That has nothing to do with whether something is right or wrong. That's why people are supposed to have a conscience, which CP_guy obviously lacks along with ethics and responsibility. This person wrongly assumes that people voted for FERC a few years ago and makes Centerpoint look bad. "Customer service is unreasonable"? Really? What a [censor]. This is just the type of attitude and thinking that causes customers to hate Centerpoint and its employees. Bless your heart CP_guy, all I can do is feel sorry for you and thank goodness that you work @ Centerpoint and not a hospital or with the elderly where ethics is important. Oh wait, you DO work with the elderly and medically needy and I've seen them disconnected due to unethical people like you who only care about whether something is illegal or not working for Crappy Centerpoint. Guess what? Slavery and denying women the right to vote used to be legal. Idiot.

• Nu
                  NURSINTX Mar 16, 2010

REALLY?! REALLY!! You are defending Centerpoint!! Ridiculous. In todays economy noone has the extra money to pay their "FEES". Believe me if I had the option to switch gas companies I certainly would. The fact that they can and do rip off the consumer everyday is a tragedy. Maybe I should try to get a job with this company, they obviously pay really well. Enough for their employees not to have any worries about how their going to pay any of their bills. WOW sign me up, I can take a phone call and push a couple of computer keys. NO, WAIT! I have a conscience.

• Cp
                  CP_Guy Jan 28, 2010

And sorry, Heather... our company follows industry standards... legal or not... incidentally, I never indicated that what our company does is necessarily illegal. For example, have a look at the behavior of energy traders in the late nineties and early 2000's (I worked for Enron for a few years right at the end as well). What Reliant and other companies that still exist is thought of as horrific by the average folks (those who understand what really went down), but the companies involved were never charged with any "crimes" regarding price manipulation or any activity which could be covered by plausible deniability. The bottom line is the laws are determined by those with the money/power and consumers are stuck with it unless you actually DO something about it. Having this post removed seems counterproductive to your upsets...

• Cp
                  CP_Guy Jan 28, 2010

Why are you so angry with me? This is the attitude shared by the folks I work with. Sending it to the company is only going to get them riled up to cover it up and have the post removed (they might sick lawyers on this website to have it removed). Wouldn't you want everyone else to know how the company feels, rather than have the post removed? Just my two cents...

Center Point of Texas — Tree Killing Instead of Burying Lines

Center Point hires Davey Tree to "trim" tress and shrubs around the utility lines. I want to have our...

Centerpoint Energyterrible service

I have had a terrible time communicating with the ignorant people that Centerpoint Energy hires. Apparently they get off on calling customers liars, and don't ask for a manager b/c there just so happens to not be one regardless of the time of day that you call.

I receive my bill by email and when I do forget to pay they send a reminder through the mail. Great. With 3 kids and being a single mom not always enough time to pay everything on time.

Fine, I'll pay a late fee, no problem.

Well this month by the time I opened the reminder letter to late already disconnected. Finding this out Tuesday evening. Fine get on the phone pay the bill through billmatrix, call centerpoint give confirm.#, now just wait till tomorrow to have it reconnected. Great.

Not so great. Wed. morning call the customer rep center (from work I like many others do have a job from 7:30 - 4:30) I gave them my cell # to call me on while I'm at work since they said i could to have the tech call me 20 min prior to arriving. Great!

Not so great. All morning i waited no phone call. So I asked if I could take the afternoon off to wait for the tech (used up 1/2 a day of vacation since it was for personal use). Arrived home at 11:55 to look on my front door and that famous yellow ticket was hanging on the door that the tech had already been by. Got on the phone called centerpoint and the rep that answered said the tech would be out again later the ticket was no closed. Great! So then she said let me read the call ahead #, well she read it wrong so I corrected her and here is where it starts. She said that's what I said. ok no big deal just want my gas connected. Waited all day at home cell phone glued to my hand so i don't miss the call.

Well now it was 5:00 p.m. no tech. Open HOuse at the kids school in 30 min. so I'm looking out the window and by chance I see a msg. on the home answering machine. I play the msg. guess who? Centerpoint Tech. called @ 9:13 a.m. said he came by no one was home and was closing the ticket. I was so pissed I called the centerpoint and they were swore up and down the tech called my cell # maybe I didn't know where I was listening to the msg. from like i'm ignorant. telling me they had to verify the story and listen to the recording. And then they still insist that i'm confused. come on now.

All in all nothing was solved when i spoke to them last night the window of reconnection was 8am - 8pm. So i told them i'd like to try tomorrow but please i'll be home at exactly 5pm. and the ignorant Ms. Pamela Bolden said well now the window is from 8-5 be home before then. That b***h just aggravated me. If there were another provider in the city I would no longer by with centerpoint even if i had to pay twice as much. I think my sugar level dropped and my blood pressure went up at the same time arguing with those ignorant people there. And then one of them said well you have a problem and that is that maybe you should have paid your bill on time.

How's that for outstanding customer service. I know nothing will be done about this. I wish they would screen the ignorant people they hire. But I guess at 7.25 an hour we get what we pay them for.

• Ti
                    Tiredof people complaining Feb 26, 2011

Maybe trying to pay your bill would be a start. I find with most companies they will extend your payment window and work with you. Remember, if you did not pay your bill its up to you to wait for the service person to show up...the company did not cut you off, you cut yourself off. Maybe gas, water, food should come before nails, hair and Walmart. Take responsiblity for your own actions and stop blaming others!

• Cs
                    CSkinner Nov 05, 2009

Centerpoint Energy could care less about their customers or their service! I had the exact problem you did. I get emailed my bill. Just yesterday I opened a bill that said disconnect on it so I jumped online and paid my bill. The due date for the bill was 11/5 but the disconnect was for 10/31. Well, they hadn't turned it off yet so I paid it. Later on last evening at 5:30 p.m. they sent a technician out to turn off my gas. No little note on the door telling me that they were turning it off or anything. And, I was home! So they turn it off AFTER they get my money. I can't do anything about it last night because they were closed. I did try calling but of course the automated message came on telling me to call back the next day. If it's past business hours, why is someone at my home? Then I call first thing this morning, and of course they refuse to work with me on any of the reconnect fees or the deposit required now. Then they tell me they can't get anyone out here until tomorrow. Hopefully they actually show up.

jabj Aug 06, 2008

They need some COMPETITION!!! call the BBB

Marisol Jun 04, 2008

I have been trying to re-establish my service for the past 6 days. Missed a day of work to sit at home and wait ALL DAY for a representative to show up. No one ever did. I called again the next morning and was schedule for them to show up that evening so I left work 15 minutes prior to my work schedule (5pm) since I work only 15-20 minutes from home, was home by 5pm. No one once again showed up. I called the next morning and I was told a representetive was at my house at 5:58pm but no one was home. I aske if they nocked on the door or rang the door bell and there answer was that there was no vehicle on the driveway. I thought garages were mostly used to park your cars inside not leave them on the driveway.

Cenerpoint Energy — home service plus is a worthless

Why does anyone waste the $35-$45 a month on Home Service Plus when you end of waiting 2 days to get an air...

Centerpoint Energyfalse information given at the authorized represntative

on 8-12-09 @ 9:09 am i went into the discount tobacco oulet to pay on a gas bill, discount tabacco outlet had a sign posted stating that any bill of center point energy would immediately post, well i paid the bill @ 4:10 pm the same day 8-12-09 a service man from center point came and disconnected my services stating non payment, well i called centerpoint and they informed me that i needed to call in with the reciept number, but i did not know that only because the discount tabacco stated that my payment would post immediately, now centerpoint is charging me reconnect fees and disconnect fee which is totally wrong, futher more no where in centerpoints cut disclosure does it mention anything of a 31 dollar disconnect fee, i feel as though they are trying to get a dollar anyway they can, and its wrong. i paid my bill and it should have posted but discount tabacco did not post it, and centerpoint supervisor informed that they have NO CONTROL over what an authorized agent puts in their store. Discount tabacco should pay the 61 dollars as they are the ones that misrepresented centerpoint. and centerpoint had they time that i paid and still charged me those redicolous fees.

• Kemps Apr 13, 2013

Are you sure that the store you made your payment at was in deed an authorized representative? Go to centerpoint energy online and look to see if it''s listed. There are many liars who claim lots of things and centerpoint does not have time or care what claims they make. As long as it does not hurt them that is. Los Gallos and UnBank are the two primary payment partners for centerpoint in Minneapolis. There are others but if you get a receipt and call to advise customer service with the receipt number then your gas will not be shut off.

Center Point Energy - GasFailure to return overpayment to gas account

My husband made a wrong internet payment submitting a US$ $ 7032 instead of US$ 70.32 last March while we were in a hurry leaving for a trip last March 2009. We have paid BIG time as Center point has failed to return the money they owe us.
                    It took them weeks to understand the problem and do something about it, then we were transferred to Mrs. Susan Ackerman who said that they would make a deposit to my husband's account for the amount paid. After it, it is been a huge struggle for Center Point to successfully place the money to my husband's account due to 'technical difficulties' with Chase Bank. My husband had to go back and forth between these two in order to clear up a transaction none could understand! Finally, a couple of weeks ago my husband got the money into his Chase account and we thought it was the end of the story. He went to a Chase branch to ensure the money was there at the end of May and was not going to be removed and guess what happened. They have removed the money due to the 'disappearance' of the check Center Point claims made to the Chase Bank for this amount. The check is not found on the system reason why we are left without US$ 7032 again!!!
                    The unbelievable is that it is US the ones having to deal with the Chase Bank as Center Point not just kept and keeps failing to pay us back but to do it properly ensuring all mechanisms are in place with the bank.
                    Now I am going tomorrow to downtown to deal face to face with these people looking for a physical proof they've done what they said they did which honestly I do not believe anymore. That means, I have to miss work and money to look for a way to close this matter successfully.
                    All these months to make a single payment transaction???
                    It is unbelievable.
                    If anybody has any advice about other routes to proceed and get this fixed I am all ears.

Centerpoint Energy - HoustonRefusal to Correct a Mistake

They came in a team to jump my fence with ladders (i keep my gate locked) and cut off my gas. When I showed them copies of my bank statement and recent bill to prove I was up to date, they literally ran away from me and refused to even call their supervisor for confirmation.

I spent 45 minutes on the phone, trying to figure out how such a mistake could be made. I'm on time and current - in fact, I overpaid last time just because it was easier to make it a round number!

They said they would get somebody out within 2 hours. When he showed up, he flat-out said he would not climb my fence. Well, the person with the key wasn't home, so I couldn't unlock it, even if I wanted to. The technician was being such a jerk about it and said he was leaving - and not turning on my gas.

When I stood in front of his truck and called CenterPoint, he decided to call the police instead (like i would let him leave without doing his job?). When the cop showed up, he told the cop that he wasn't allowed to climb fences, which we all know is BS. His attitude was so bad with me that I wasn't about to invite the jerk into my home to go through to the backyard, but that was eventually what the cop suggested. The technician said he was frightened, which was why he didn't ask if he could go through in the beginning, which is also BS, because he came to the door with an attitude.

To top it all off, after the police escorted him to my meter and back, the technician had the nerve to ask if he could inspect the hot water heater. HE HAD TO COME IN THE HOUSE TO DO THAT, SO WHY DIDN'T HE JUST ASK TO COME IN AT THE VERY BEGINNING, instead of getting all trashy and calling the cops?

I'll tell you why: because CenterPoint hires lazy people. My husband caught one hopping the fence, but he was dressed like a thug: ballcap on sideways, baggy t-shirt, baggy saggin' pants, and basketball shoes on - NO CENTERPOINT IDENTIFICATION ON AT ALL. And now this guy, refusing to turn the gas back on because it required him to get a freakin' ladder.

Centerpoint Energy — unauthorized access into yard by meter reader

The Centerpoint meter reader's unauthorized access to our yard caused our older dog injuries. The...

Centerpoint Energybilling

Center Point Energy"...what a company.

I've been a long time paying, honest customer...& what do i get...

the tech came out to my home April 27, 09..to read my meter because my gate doesn't permit them get in my house... so of course we let him in to read the meter..
                        the following mth i get a $600.00 bill n the mail...Of course I call & they explain...the reason for the enlarged bill was, because the tech claimed we had a dead meter..& was changed out the next night @ 7:48 pm (yeah ok)... First of all we have survaliance cameras 2nd.. there was no way the tech came into my house...
                        long story short...I called ther infamous csr rep. & she strait out told me It was my my word against the techs...
                        They can Kiss My ###...

• Ta
                            Tania May 15, 2009

Not exactly the same problem we've had, but we also got told it was our story against theirs. I made a post about them here, and my husband made a website telling his story, that has been send to all their CEO's. There seems to be some people who does not belong working for that company..

Centerpoint Energypoor customer service and billing

We had been paying our bill, never late. They changed my account number without notice. They turned off our gas and left no notice. Now they will not turn it back on. Their customer service is below zero. TO top that off, you can't change to another gas company. I am very very upset. I will retaliate in any way I can.

• Yv
                              yvette kelley Jul 03, 2009

I need to file a complaint against Center Point (Gas). They are robbing me blind. They are not advising me of any extra charges that they keep placing on my bill due to a disconnection. Bad thing about it, I can’t choose another gas company because there is none, and they know it.

My invoice states "If service is disconnected, you must pay your bill in full in addition to a reconnect charge. Your deposit requirement will be re-evaluated and may be increased if necessary to cover payment for future service." There were no other mentions of any additional charges that Center Point keeps adding to my bill.

My $72 bill has now cost me almost $325 due to all the fees they keep charging me. The only fee I was advised of was a $62 reconnection fee and a $90 deposit. When I called inquiring about the other fees, they are making up names for them and no one can explain why I was not advised of these additional charges. I really feel this is a never ending battle and I can't do anything about it but pay it if I want to keep my gas on.

They have poor customer servicer and rude people that work for the company.

I need help!!! I feel I am being treated unfairly and this has place a financial hardship on me and my family.

• Th
                              Thomas G Jun 26, 2009

I also recently ran into a issue with Centerpoint. I had a bill due 5-8-09. The bank showed my payment posting and being received on 5-5-09. On 5-10-09 they disconnected my service.

Now the trouble begins. I called them up and informed them my payment was received on time and that I have yet to miss a payment in over 10yrs. I was then informed that it would still cost me 64 dollars to have my service reconnected and I would also need to pay a 32 dollar collection fee and on top of this I would also be charged 50 bucks extra on my next two bills as a "deposit"

I'm being charged out the Butt for a mistake they made and punished further because they are the only option i have for gas in my area. Oh yea.. its 5-26-09 and they still have no reconnected my gas. I have called numerous times and always get "We will have someone right out today" or "We will be by today but can only turn on the gas if someone is home" I wasn't home when they turned it off... So now I have to miss days of work to sit at home and HOPE they will stop to turn on the gas. I have missed two days of work and they have yet to meet the time-frame they provided me.

If you have the options DO NOT use centerpoint for your gas needs and if you don't have a option go electric. I know I will be.