Having problems with Cenlar?

+1 800 223 6527 (Customer Service)
+1 866 768 7354 (Mortrage Assistance)
425 Phillips Blvd
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

report them here!

inaccurate accounting / deception

This company has misaccounted our money and is overcharging on our payoff. They have already informed me that...

unorganization and possible fraud

Our previous mortgage lender (Taylor, Bean, Whittaker) apparently went under and our loan was given to Cenlar. A couple months ago they sent us a statment increasing our payment by about 1000.00/month. When we inquired they told us to get it changed we would have to fax them our loan docs, which we did. They then told us our payment would be a couple hundred more a month. When we asked for information, they said it was because they paid our taxes- Which we do ourselves and already did. We had already sent proof of this, but because they paid as well they are still asking for the additional money. It has taken us countless hours and we still don't have it straight. What can we do?

• Be
    Bettina2010 Feb 26, 2010

The creeps at Cenlar jacked my mortgage payments from $559 to $895 and I can't afford to pay! Reason given when I called? TBW under-estimated my taxes so the difference will go to escrow. Other people got other stories about their insane hikes in mortgage amounts. This all smells like a pretty sweet scam!
    What can we do?
    - File formal complaint with attorney general, your state.
    - Find out if another can be filed with their own state, which is SC as far as I can tell.
    - File formal complaint with BBB online -- there's another 80 there waiting to be read.
    - File complaint with the FTC, which possibly has a website corner for it, so no need to call them.
    - Issue a call to lawyers who'd like to gather all of us in a class action suit against these thieves.
    - Check out the site, Pissed Consumer, and lots of complaints, to which you can add your own by pasting your experience from here, to there.

• Ry
    Ryan140980 Feb 25, 2011

I went through the TB&W bankruptcy too. Sent to Cenlar where I can actually say was not a problem for me. The problem I had was that a payment sent to TB&W at transition is tied up in bankruptcy. Cenlar was kind enough to credit my account. 6 months later they sold loan to Ocwen(the devil). They did not honor the lost payment. Fought with them for 6 months to no avail. Even organized conference call with Cenlar and Ocwen. Ocwen said they didn't care and to pay. I continued sending my regular payments until one day they started sending my payments back to me. REALLY. They said that they would not accept any payment unless it brought the loan up to date, including disputed payment. They did this for 5 months and began foreclosing on me. To keep from having to sue them and possibly lose my home I dished out over 3500 bucks.(my payments are only $500/month. I thought that would be the end of it until a month later when my monthly statement had $745 worth of foreclosure fees tacked on to my bill. OMG!!! Ofcourse I'm right back where I started. I just wish Ocwen would sell my mortgage to another lender before they bleed me dry. If anyone else has a story similar to this please share. Thank you.

service

Where should I start! They have only had our equity line of credit since 08/2009, they purchased it from BofA. The first payment statement we received from them was more than triple what we had been paying. The phone number on the statement was incorrect, I had to make numerous phone calls to get an operable phone number for this supposed business. Then they had no answers, no supervisor available and no one returned my calls. I had to file a complaint with New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance and contact my local news on your side channel 3 to contact them before someone finally got back to me. Then it wasn't over. They didn't want to honor a previous loan modification done by BofA prior to them buying the loan, that was a big issue and fight but they finally agreed to do so after we threatened to get an attorney. THEN they started charging 1 or 2 days here and there at 5.25% (the original rate not the modified rate) and the other days at the 4.2% (modified rate) until I caught it on a statement one day and then I asked for a complete history to make sure all adjustments had been made. This company is unbelievable, I don't know why they are still in business. When I made a payment by phone, I asked for a conformation number and the customer service rep told me "we don't do that, just write down my name and number and we will send your receipt in the mail", wow. OMG! In six months I've spent more time on the phone with them than I did in three years with BofA, crap they should just pay me an hourly wage for all the time I've spent telling them how to do their job. Someone needs to do something. This is unfair, they were not my choice, our loan was sold to them and now we are stuck with this horrible company. We have a file at least 3 inches thick.

• Ce
    cenlar bad business Apr 04, 2014

Cenlar placed a forced insurance policy on my
    mortgage after my insurance company had sent them 3 request for payment. After they forced the policy and depleted my escrow account, they paid the insurance, but wouldn't refund the forced policy amount of 3500.00. After a few months, I tried to change insurance companies and they again didn't pay that one. I was told that after my current insurance received notice of new insurance, that it would take affect. They failed to pay that insurance and it went into another forced insurance policy. They depleted my escrow again. I fought with them numerous times on the phone. They did not refund the cost of the forced policy. Today, I received notice that my escrow was short funds, and they are going to raise my house payment. Really... that is a no brainer. Cenlar are such crooks... They are as bad as the IRS.

fraud

Cenlar is now servicing our mortgage since Taylor Bean and Whitaker went out. We have had trouble getting our insurance and our taxes paid. We have received threatening delinquent notices from tax collectors due to the fact that Cenlar will not pay them out of our escrow account. There is so much more to this story then can be typed on here.

I have created a group on Facebook called "Homeowner's Against Cenlar." If you are on Facebook please type "Cenlar" in the search bar and find us!!! I am trying to get a bunch of us together. We need to find a way to get the word out and get this place shut down!!! We are contacting news stations, the better business bureau, the attorney general and possibly even a lawyer!

Please join the group and share your experiences with the rest of us!! Together we can try to make a difference!

• Eq
    -Equalizer Mar 02, 2010

I know if you are having problems like I have been experiencing then there is probably fraud taking place. I am sick of it and the representatives working there. This is a fly by night company who is robbing the consumers of TB&W (Taylor, Bean, and Whitaker). They are trying to increase my fixed mortgage up to 40% higher than I ever agreed to. Please contact your State attorney General and the Federal Trade Commission to report your story because they will investigate.

Federal Trade Commission
    600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
    Washington, D.C. 20580
    Phone: 1.877.FTC.HELP (1.877.382.4357) or 1.202.326.2222
    TTY: 1.866.653.4261

• Fu
    Fustrated 3 Jun 01, 2011

From a fustrated citizen.
    I to am a victim of Cenlar, they have been charging me for homeowners insurance, when I have been paying this on my own. When I contacted them that they owed me $1, 804.00, they told me that they had never received the proof that I was making the insurance payments on my own, I faxed them the paperwork seven times and my insurance company sends them a copy also, but they still were charging me. I called and they said they would review my loan and send me a refund check. I told them that it should be for $1, 804.00, but they only sent me a check for $180.91, and told me that I would receive another refund for $450.52. I have not received the other refund check and I called them and they said that they had mailed a check for $335.00, which is a far cry from $450.52. This is still not the $1, 804.00 refund that they owe me. They said that they could not send me the $450.52 refund because that would make my escrow short $75.00. Well if you subtract the $335.00 from $450.52, they kept $115.00. Why not just subtract the $75.00 that they said was short, instead they took $115.00.
    I keep calling them and ask to someone who speaks English and all I get is someone that cannot speak English. When I ask to talk to a supervisor I get the same person that I was originally talking too.
    This company needs to give everyone back all the money that we are owed. Also every year it seems that my payments go up by $200.00. When I was with TB&W my payments were $378.00 now I am paying $476.66. Never had any problems with TB&W and I have another mortgage company that I deal with and they never say anything about an Escrow account.
    It is time that we put this company on an action law suit.

• Ge
    george wise May 09, 2013

My mortgage was paid in full on Jan.11, 2013, & I have been trying since then to get my refund on the unused portion of my homeowner insurance
    in the amount of $3062. Cenlar has used every lie in the world as to why I have not recieved my check.Their representatives are
    useless.I really believe Cenlar's intentions are to give me the run around until I give up and go away. I have contacted the Comsumer
    Protection Agency & have not heard anything from them.I am considering filing a complaint with the fraud dept.of the FBI .I really believe Cenlar is commiting fraud and should be shut down.

mortgage escrow mismanagement

My mortgage escrow account has been extremely mismanaged, almost to the point of theft. My home mortgage...

lies and money scam

When my mortgage went up I contacted Cenlar and was told by the supervisor Jim that it was because my taxes went up.

that was a lie. I checked. They lie and steal or try to.

They purchased my loan and whatever problems that comes with it.

I am currently trying to find legal help to stop them.

i am still on hold with these thieves as i type.

So far I have spent 5 hours just trying to get an answer.

If you deal with these guy's at all you know what frustration is.

JasonClemons Dec 25, 2009

the same thing happened to me.. I also am trying to deal with it.

• Wp
    wpababy Mar 12, 2010

But how do we deal with it? The same thing happened to me and I NEVER missed or was late with a mortgage payment.

• Hy
    hyper7900 Sep 27, 2010

It will be best for everyone who has had issues to really look at RESPA (Real Estate Protection Act). It will take time to resolve disputes with a stubborn company. But if the persistence is there and your facts are correct. Getting that big check from cenlar will be well worth it.

please do not take this as if I am telling everyone they don't know how to manage escrow. However it is important to realize that one should never depend on the bank to manage Escrow accounts. I am sure most would agree that proper handling of a checking account requires to reconcile and put items in your register that have been paid or quickens or whatever one uses.

The same is true with escrow. Estimate what your YEARLY expenditures will be (Hazard Insurance (Flood if required) Home Insurance, taxes, etc) Take the total divide by 12. It is important to understand a few things with escrows: As per the RESPA section 10 the servicer (Cenlar, or other institution) is prohibited from charging excessive amount for the escrow account. The lender CAN NOT charge any more then 1/12 of the total of ALL disbursements per month payable during the year..They CAN add any amount that was short from the year before. They CAN at their desecration add a cushion NOT to EXCEED 1/6 of the total disbursements for the year. Knowing this and knowing that as part of the RESPA the lender must perfom an escrow account analysis once during the year and notify borrowers of any shortage.. any EXCESS of $50 of more MUST be RETURNED to the borrower. (They can not hold it) Picture it like a BIG savings account----At the end of the year you will get BIG check from them if they are indeed charging outrageous amounts...

If they do not do this, then you will need to write a complaint letter to them FIRST, (Certify mailing) and they must ack the letter withing 20 business days. After which another 60 days from them to resolve or provide a valid reason for their position. If still they are violating any laws of the act then you may file a complaint with HUD (Housing and Urban Development. After which HUD, a state Attorney General or State Insurance commissioner may bring an injunctive action to enforce violations of Sections 6, 8 or 9 ( I have provided short info on section 6 which is relevant to most all complaints on this board)...

Keep in mind that Under section 10 which is Limits on Escrow accounts (1/6 and 1/12 talk)HUD as the authority to impose a civil penalty on loan servicers who do not submit inial or annual escrow account statements to borrowers.

Read up on RESPA and know where to file complaints... They will get addressed much faster then if you just phone or write a general office such as State Attorney General office. Go smaller before bigger.

Also, keep track ALWAYS (even if company is good) of what you are putting into escrow... Get copies of checks, and file them for your records. Checks are proof of payments...

unbelievable customer service representatives

Cenlar's customer service representatives are unbelievable, grouchy, and mindless. How can one financial organization make so many mistakes? The latest is my school real estate taxes are unpaid and now in the penalty phase.

They said the terms of our mortgages would not change. What they ment was we are making up the terms as we go along. Payments are taking 20 days to post payments to an account, nice way Cenlar for you to make additional money off of our sweat.

I have a real question for Cenlar. Are you trying to screw everyone who is refinancing to get away from you? I hope to sue you someday in the future for your mismanagement and the cost to refinance with the mess you have made out of my account. Me someone who has never had a late payment or missed a payment because it is going to cost me plenty to get rid of you.

• Li
    Linda660 Dec 31, 2009

12-31-09
    I was turned over to Cenlar after TB&W took a nose dive. I have been trying since Sept. to straighten things out with my mortgage. I was on the Equity Accelerator program with TB&W, but Cenlar informed me that I could not continue with that until TB&W únfroze'' my money. So, I sent payments in to Cenlar. Just last week, Cenlar sent my payments back to me saying that they could not accept them because I was late. I have NEVER been late on my mortgage. I don't know what to do now. They wanted to do a check by phone, which I said no to, simply because they sent my payments back to me. If anyone gets any straight answers, please post them. Thanks.

• Sh
    sharon and joe Feb 15, 2012

Cenlar is a big bad dream threatening to take our home over escrow account ...no communication...bullies

no answer

I have been trying to get a hold of someone by phone
for 30 days now and it is constantly busy. My loan from Taylor Bean was transfered and I need to change my checking account info. Sent in a check 2 weeks ago for last month mortgage and it still hasn't been pulled from my account. I am not sure they got it and hopefully I won't incur late fees. I don't know where I stand with my loan. How am I suppose to talk to someone? At this point I am not even sure what to do.

• Le
    legalrights Sep 19, 2009

You have to stay proactive! Call and get help! For $35 prepaid legal can help you!!! They will write the letters and make the phone calls!

Call or email me...I can help you!

Jeremy Herget
    818-402-8530
    [email protected]

• Me
    Meliza Sep 20, 2009

My mom's loan was recently switched to Cenlar, and she too cannot get anyone on a phone. This is ridiculous! The mortgage company will blame the homeowner's, wait and see. I would send a letter certified and express all of the above information, the way the mortgage companies send their notices certified.
    Phone calls don't count, as far as documentation really, although I would keep a record of how many times you called, when, and which employee(get their id #) you spoke with(if you get a hold of a person). You shouldn't have to pay any late fees do to them being unorganized!
    When people try to negotiate while mortgage companies are changing hands, they get screwed because the money clock for the bank never stops ticking, regardless if they answer phones or not. What an American Dream. Can you imagine owning a business, never answering a phone, just collecting checks with no accountability?

• Bp
    BP1 Sep 21, 2009

This company needs the feds to investigate. My Taylor Bean loan also transfered to Cenlar. I am unable to establish contact, actually rang the operator and the operator disconnected me. Sent in my Sept. loan payment certified mail with return receipt and have yet to receive the receipt. This company seems like a scammer, I will submit my problems to Senator Cardin (Maryland). Advise all to do the same in their home state.

jostby Sep 22, 2009

go to this website...
    It has all the VP's, CEO's, etc phone numbers with extensions and e-mail addresses. I sent a e-mail venting my frustration (former TB&W customer also). They called me back in less that 2 hours. Bigwigs don't like hearing complaints. One of the contacts is an internal auditor/quality control. If you work for a large company you know they don't want him hearing that they have problems!
    Good Luck!

• Pa
    Paperc Dec 01, 2009

I too am having the problems you describe, and, in addition, Cenlar is increasing my mortgage payment by $86 per month - my city taxes have only increased $34 this year.
    I encourage everyone to file a complaint with the Attorney General of their state and get this company to either fly right or go away. I refuse to be the victim to these theives.

bad business practice

My loan was taken over by Cenlar from Taylor, Bean, and Whittaker. They sent me a letter telling me that and...