Care Creditsneaky little rules!

R

I paid care credit on time every month, so I was pretty surprised when I found out that late payment charges of 29 dollars was being applied to my bill each month. I called Care Credit and they explained to me that any payments made the during the first 5 days of a month are counted as payment for the last month. Because I made each payment at the first of the month, I was penalized! I do not feel I was adequately informed of this rule. By implementing this policy, Care Credit managed to gain 87 extra dollars from me. I can only imagine how much money they are making off the rest of their customers with this sneaky little rule.

• Ro
    Rozanna Aguayo Sep 24, 2007

I still have an acct. open with you guys and i had field for Chpt. 7 bankruptcy in Feb. of 07 and its still showing on my credit report that i am late with my payments when the acct. Should be closed and showing included in Bankruptcy!!!

MARTHA SCHMIEG Oct 30, 2007

YOU WERE LUCKY. I AM TRYING TO SPEAK WITH CARE CREDIT ABOUT MY CHARGES. I USED IT ONCE FOR $1150.00. AFTER 3 MONTHS OF MAKING PAYMENTS WAY AHEAD OF THE DUE DATE, MY CHARGES ARE $4375.00. NO EXPLANATION. I AM GOING TO REPORT THEM TO MY STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL. MAYBE II CAN GET A COMPLAINT FILED AGAINST THEM.

• Wi
    william harbour Oct 31, 2007

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO LOG ON GEONLINESERVICE.COM ABOUT MY ACCOUNT BUT CAN NOT GET LOGGED ON.THE REASON WHY MY USER ID NAME HAS A SPACE IN IT BUT I CAN NOT DELETE IT . IT IS IN BOLD LETTERS AND HAS NO BOX AROUND IT TO RIGHT CLICK IT TO DELETE IT. HOW CAN I DELETE IT AND START OVER AGAIN CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME IN THIS MATTER.

WILLIAM HARBOUR

• Kr
    Kristy A Bustos Nov 12, 2007

I authorized over the phone one time, One $32.00 payment be withdrawn from my checking account . I am making the monthly payments on time to Care Credit. For the past three four months GE Money Bank continues to illegally withdraw $32.00 from my account as a confirmed phone transaction. I have informed my bank that I did not authorize them to continue nor did I ever sign any approval. I have to now close my account and continue to dispute there illegal transactions. I still have not a received a response to my complaints and have made several attempts to contact an employee of Care Credit or GE Money. Th Care Credit Website does not even have an E-mail/comment section to respond to & the customer service phone number is all a recording. Any suggestions? Please help, or lets start a class action law suit...

Marianne M Stringer Nov 14, 2007

The same thing happened to me. I always pay my bills on the first of the month so I don't have to worry about them later.

I paid Care Credit and was charged a penalty because I paid them on the first instead of waiting until after the 3rd.

And just how is one supposed to know that this is their policy? I asked that question and I was told to, "read the fine print."

I am really sorry that I got involved with them and as soon as I am able, I will pay them off. I never let a chance go by without telling someone to stay as far away from them as possible. My best opportunity usually comes when I am sitting in a doctor or dentist's office and I see some one pick up a Care Credit application. I tell them all about the policy of the company and how sneaky they are.

Word of mouth is the best way of getting even.

• De
    Deborah Pricopio Nov 21, 2007

I also have made payments to Care Credit on time and have a zero percent interest loan. I was charged finance charges my first or second month. This month I mailed my payment in on the 7th, which was due on the 18th of November, and they tell me they haven't yet received it. My bank account shows it has not been cashed. I am wondering if these companies hold your payment until past the due date, and then call it late, and then charge you interest and late fees? Hmmm.

• Em
    Emily Nov 21, 2007

I have also received late fees when my auto-payment was turned on. CareCredit is one subject I could vent about for hours. Most recently I paid off my bill in full to find out the charge will not be taken from my bank until the next scheduled auto-payment date (3 weeks from now). Obviously I paid the amount off in full as I had the money at the time and just wanted to be done with Care Credit. Had I known this would be the case I would have mailed a check or turned the auto-payment feature off before hand. It was until I received an automatically generated email from GE Services that this was brought to my attention.

Care credit should be considered rape! The GE Services web page does not allow a person to make payments any larger than the minimal amount due; thus, being forced to pay high interest rates without actually paying towards the principal balance. Is this even legal??

Care credit sounds too good to be true because IT IS! It’s just a scam!! They don't explain anything to you up front and when you call with questions they basically tell you that you are SOL. I have not spoken to a single helpful customer services rep.

Furthermore, the web-site does not have a link to contact anyone via email. It only directs you to make payments online or send payments to a random address. What if someone has a legitimate issue or concern that is not mentioned on the FAQ’s page?

I would never refer ANYONE to use CareCredit’s services and will highly discourage anyone from even considering it!

• Me
    Melissa Hutchinson Nov 24, 2007

I just started up a care credit account, so have only received my first bill, not due until the seventh, needless to say, thanks for the heads-up on when to send my payment out. I hope I don't experience any of the things others have since its too late to turn back now.

Jackie Spenser Dec 06, 2007

I feel terrible reading these comments. Credit card companies are getting away with so many unethical practices and it's happening to good people who are paying their bills on time!

My horror story
    I had a bill of $2000 which I always paid on time. Four years go by and I'm still paying it without a hitch. Three weeks ago I was looking at my credit report and was SHOCKED to see 90 day late hit from Care Credit.

I immediately logged onto my account to check my payment history. With absolutely no explanation or reason, Care Credit had accepted my last three payments, but then reversed them the very next day. The salt in the wounds? They charged me a late fee payment on each of these reverse transactions for $39

When I called their customer service, I literally could not understand the broken english of my rep. He finally said he couldn't help me and I would have to call back "tomorrow" before hanging up. Unreal, isn't it?

I borrowed money from a relative, sent a cashiers check for my balance by certified mail. Carecredit is a despicable credit card company willing to do anything to make money from their customers. It's just disgusting and my heart goes out to each of you.

Good luck to all.

• Ri
    Richard Bryant Dec 14, 2007

I thought I closed this account a few years ago. My wife went to the dentist in Aug 2007 and the dentist somehow managed to place 2100.00 in charges without my approval or my wifes. I recieved a statement from CareCredit before my wife had her appoinment. I complained but decided that I would take care of it when I went to the appointment with my wife. The dentist was to do a root canal and crown but when he went to work decided the tooth was to far gone so he just did a filling. When I questioned the billing I was told the number provided were in error and the new number was the same as the old. So, a filling and root canal and crown costs the same! The dentist is a crook (Dr. Peidra) and Carecredit allows charges without the card holders approval. What A scam!!!!! If you have carecredit close the account!

• Ca
    Carol Carver Feb 15, 2008

Boy, was I happy to find this site!!! We have a Care Credit Account for emergency surgery for our pet. The very first month, although we had sent our payment in well ahead of the due date (the 29th), we were assessed a $39 late fee!!! When we called, they said because it was our first late fee they would reverse it. They said because it was sent through the mail, it didn't arrive in time (2 weeks??!!).

So we started sending payment via Western Union. in December 2007, the payment was sent 3 days ahead of the due date. Again, not posted till after the due date, and another late fee!! When I called, they said that Western Union had not transmitted the funds in a timely fashion. I called Western Union, and I know the exact date and time it was transmitted (that day) to the second! So I called GE back and had that late charge reversed.

Two days ago, I got a call from GE Collections, saying we were past due on our January 2008 payment, and DEMANDING payment over the phone. I knew I had sent it, so I told them I would call back when I had the paperwork in my hand. I HAD made the payment, again via Western Union. When I called CUSTOMER DISSERVICE, they said they showed receipt of the payment. When I asked why I had gotten a call from Collections, they said it was because I OWED A LATE FEE OF $39!! My payment was sent on the 26th, but not posted till the 29th (the due date) and I was STILL ASSESSED A LATE FEE!!

I had had enough, and told the person on the phone that I wanted to lodge a complaint. I was put on hold, and then connected with someone who said they were the "Supervisor". I explained my frustration and she tried to say Western Union hadn't sent the payment promptly. When I told her that was not true, that I knew EXACTLY when it was sent, her next excuse was that they could choose NOT TO POST MY PAYMENT FOR 5 DAYS BECAUSE IT WAS SENT WESTERN UNION!!! She stated that this was spelled out on the back of my bill (not true). My response was, the money was sent, why wouldn't it be posted? She had no good answer. I then asked, if payment was due on the 29th, and posted on the 29th, WHY DID I STILL HAVE A LATE FEE?? Again, nothing but runaround and nonsense.

I finally said, "Not only is what you're doing unethical, I suspect it's probably ILLEGAL."

Guess what happened then? SHE HUNG UP ON ME!!!

Does anyone know a lawyer? I think we should bring a class action lawsuit against GE money, and the 14 pages of complaints I have printed off this site only proves it!!!

Feel free to contact me: [protected]@hotmail.com. I would love to take these jerks on!!

• Ba
    bajaskier Feb 28, 2008

My wife had oral surgery done. The periodontist's office offered credit arrangements via CareCredit (a.k.a. GE Moneybank). The deal was 0% interest if paid in full within one year. We paid extra each month to make sure we paid it off before the one-year expired. Despite having cancelled checks as well as bank records from e-transactions, they found every way they could to say the balance was not paid in full within 1 year i.e. "did not receive", "received late", etc.; any BS they could think of. Even after proving them wrong, they socked us with a HUGE interest payment. Customer no-service was rude, rude, rude! They simply could not accept the fact they were proven wrong. The matter is still not settled after 18 months.

• St
    stephanie Mar 06, 2008

Care Credit is CROOKED. They way they operate, its as though no matter how, when, how much you pay, your balance is not gonna go down. They will get you someway, somehow. A class acton lawsuit is necessary.

• Be
    beth Apr 21, 2008

I was searching to see if CareCredit was accepted at a specific place and had this. Just so you guys know, i've never had a problem with them. I have bad credit, and they only approved me for $550, but i paid it as scheduled, paid off the last 2 months at once, and had no problem. i just started it up again, about $400, and so far, it's going along just like clockwork. no problems, no interest, no nothing.

• Ki
    Kim Nachazel Apr 26, 2008

My horror story just started today when I opened my statement. I have been paying for 16 months and today I just found out. I am back to what originally owed. I am still in shock. For sure I thought it was a clerical error. I would be the first one to join in a class action lawsuit. I can imagine million and million of dollars this company is making out of scam.

Lazette58 Jan 03, 2019

@Kim Nachazel The same thing happened to me after paying for over a year. I admit that I was late sometimes but how in the heck can I owe more than I borrowed after paying for over a year? I will not pay another cent to them until I get a reasonable answer. I wrote them a letter.

Laura May 03, 2008

I have ALWAYS had trouble with Care Credit. This last time the payment was due on the 22nd. On the 19th I paid much more than the minimum, which I ALWAYS do. It came out of my checking account on the 22nd but wasn't posted till the 23rd. Therefore, I was charged a $29 late fee. When I called to complain, Eric told me that he was sorry but they would go by the date it was posted and it was too bad, but there was nothing they would do about it. But they would report it to the credit bureau that I was 1 day late. This has happened more than once. I now have an attorney that is writing them a letter. I have paid $352 and still have a balance of $461 on a $500 credit!! No matter when I make the payment they are rarely credited on time PLUS they say that there have been "Payment Reversals". I still can't figure out why. I have called my bank and they have no idea. I have ALWAYS had the money in the bank when the payments were made. The routing and account numbers have all been correct. I think Care Credit is a scam. I was in the dental office a few months ago and a patient was looking at the Care Credit brochure. The office was full of patients. I told her what a scam they were and she would never get them paid off. She put the brochure back as well as did others. Anytime I see people thinking about it, I tell them all about Care Credit and none of it is positive. I have also complained to LA Weightloss about them.

• Br
    Brenda Smith May 18, 2008

I too believe that Care Credit is a SCAM. No matter how much you pay your bill never goes down but always manages to go up. At this rate I will never get it paid. I think something should be done, this is robbery without using a gun.

• Ho
    HOMER H GARBRICK May 29, 2008

I HAVE STILL NOT RECEVED A STATEMENT FOR MAY. I DID NOT RECEVE A STATEMENT FOR APRIL, BUT I DID RECEVE A PAST DUE NOTICE. HOW CAN I GET MY STATEMENTS SENT TO ME ON TIME. I HAVE WRITEN LETTERS TO EVERYONE AND NO STATEMENTS. PLEASE HELP ME.

Lar_dawg Jun 05, 2008

I have a care credit GeMoney Bank account for my hearing aids. These ### make it difficult if they don't send you a bill or have a site you can log into each month like I have in the past. I can't pay my bill but they can sure find me when they have added a late penalty.

• Cr
    craig poer Jun 07, 2008

I wish I would have never ran into these people,
    It is $39 late fee this month because I paid to early.
    Is there a class action yet?

• Ur
    Ursula Gonzalez Jun 08, 2008

I agree with all of you. They are a blue-collar scam company, and thanks to them, my credit has been severely damaged. I filed a complaint with Better Business Bureau, and you should do it, too. Also I will join that class action you're talking about, because is MY MONEY and my credit, and both are in real danger.
    They never agreed on changing my due date so I could easily pay on the 16th of each month, but since I read your posts now I realized that that would have never solved the problem, they didn't matter if you pay early or on time. They still charge you with late fees (same as me). On top of that, they have been harassing me on the phone to pay, and I always told them the same: I will pay after I receive my paycheck, because I have other bills to pay. And you know what did one of the Mexican 'agents' told me? She mockingly told me not to be WASTEFUL. That really annoyed me a lot, and I told her to get a life and then I hung up, because that was disrespectful.

Now I received a communication from BBB with Care Credit's/GE Money response about this complaint, and they still keep on telling lies, but they closed my account per my request. Maybe I did wrong closing my account before paying off, but I really am desperate and annoyed by all of this issue. I should have never made any business with these scammers. I wouldn't be surprised if these rats reported me to any collections agency. They already damaged my credit, and they should be severely punished!

• Pa
    Pam Jun 12, 2008

Care Credit is horrible! I only took out a $500 credit (after being referred by my veterinarian... they must get a kick-back) and have made $200 worth of payments, yet my balance has not decreased. They are a crooked, sneaky, and immoral company! I have yet to meet a satisfied Care Credit customer.

• Ju
    Juleyes Jun 20, 2008

I have a patient that wants me to sign up with credit care so they can purchase their glasses. After reading the above comments I don't think that I would be willing to subect my patients to that kind of headache. Does anyone have a positive comment about CreditCare?

• To
    Tony Prewit Jun 28, 2008

I contacted these con artists trying to pay off my bill.
    Then wham my account wass locked out. when I called them they said I was in bankruptcy.

After hours of calls they still have me as filed for bankruptcy and I cannot make payments.

Until they get it straight my account goes delinquent. DO NOT USE THEM.

• Wa
    waleah Jul 02, 2008

I have never, ever, recieved a bill and when I begged my dentist to have CareCredit call me they threatened me. Told me my bill was over due and turned over for collection. They had the wrong address wrong information. They told me they would have me arrested and lectured me on my irresponsible credit history???? It is a nightmare. My dental work is incomplete and I do not know what to do.

Joyce Foster Jul 20, 2008

I am in a battle with them now concerning their card which was not used for dental work and their billing me for services I never received from Royal Dental on Hwy 6/Beechnut, Houston, TX. I have shown them Xrays from a second dentist that clearly show I have had no dental work . I recieved a letter from dental care yesterday wanting $1416 that they say I owe them. I cannot pay for services I never received. Help!

Mary McLain Jul 31, 2008

I went to a dentist smilecare..and spent four hours back and forth talking to the financial Manger, Dentist Assitant..and dentist all trying to get me to do all this work on my teeth..I was late back to work .. and charged 4000.00 dollers for work never done..tried to appeal it to carecredit and they sighted with smilecare..I am ferious and will do everything i can to stop them both..!!! As god is my wittness!!!

Jo D Aug 14, 2008

I am scared to death! I just got my card and have only used it once (9 days ago) Can I just cancel it now and pay it up right away? My dentist pushed this on me and I was stupid - please advise in any way. Thanks much.

JoD

Matteo Aug 15, 2008

Wow, I have not had the same experience. My dental office in Seattle offers CareCredit for financing balances owed after dental insurance for crowns. I did not have all the funds to pay at one time so took them up on the offer to finance the crown and a night guard.
    I applied online and was approved for 6 months no finance charge(the only problem was my computer froze up so I was approved for 2 accounts). I setup my appt had the procedures done & did not receive a bill for 60 days. My pmts are due on the 8th. I have google calendar setup for all of my bills due dates with a reminder for 4 days before the due date. I go online and pay from a second acct that I use only for online activities.
    Me, I'm a little wary of automatic payments. what if I forget to transfer money in. What if I have a dispute, then they've already got my money.
    I did read my statement and don't see where if I pay early it counts to the previous month, instead of the current month.
    Sorry to see so many people having a bad experience. Mine has been pleasant so far. The only complaint I had was being charged some outrageous amount of money for "out of work insurance policy". I called when I figured out what I had done to agree to this & cancelled the service.
    I know that if too many patients complainted abou CareCredit my dentist's office would no longer offer the plan.
    Wish you all well

Dan Wasson Sep 19, 2008

cost of work done and payed to dentist by carecredit : $3500, what I had to pay to carecredit to get a zero balance : $5000.

• Ke
    Kelly Oct 20, 2008

If you read your statement each month and are knowledgable of how the healthcare provider set your plan up, there should be no problem. Anytime you open a credit account or borrow money, you should ALWAYS ask about details and be well aware of the terms before you agree and PAY ATTENTION to your bill, which a lot of people fail to do.I know many happy care credit customers and am one myself. They offer interst free loans which I have always untilized and have always paid by my promotional expiration date. It's only those that are uneducated on it that have a problem with it. It's simple.. pay your bills on time, read your statement, and ask questions... why are so many so ignorant and unwilling to read their staments, then complain. It makes no sense to me. It's always those that don't pay on time or who aren't as attentive to their bills as they should be who complain about credit companies. I have been making payments on geonlineservice.com for many many years with no problems at all, no late payments or concerns. It amazes me as to how many people really don't read their bills or terms and conditions before signing a contract. I truly wish you all well. I also hope this is an eye opener for those that may be less attentive to their bills than they should be.

Laurie Oct 27, 2008

IF YOU HAVE BEEN SCREWED BY GE MONEY/CARE CREDIT OR ANY OTHER CREDIT CARD WITH GE MONEY
    FILE COMPLAINTS WITH THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION AND OFFICE OF THRIFT SUPERVISION.

VIOLATIONS OF FAIR CREDIT BILLING ACT.

• St
    Stacia Kermgard Nov 04, 2008

I also got scammed. The one girl Sarah was very nice. On the other hand Stephanie in the next level where I wanted to talk about my finance charge was very rude. I will NEVER use care credit AGAIN!!!

Dana Nov 07, 2008

FYI for everyone. My dentist gave me a brochure for Care Credit and I did some checking. This is thru GE Money Bank who is owned by GE...General Electric Company. That's right, GE who we have grown up with.
    I remember hearing about Care Credit last year in conjunction with a weight loss program (can't remember which one) and the fact that they were adding ridiculous charges to their account and it was virtually impossible to get this cleared up.
    I've tried to find on the BBB, but have had no luck. So, I think I will pass on applying for this card for my dental needs.

• Bo
    Bob Nov 14, 2008

Care Credit is a payday lender disguised as a credit card company. They are great for doctors/dentists but bad bad bad for consumers. They offer outrageous interest rates with promises of deferred interest they have no intent of carrying through.

They offer credit approvals very fast because they have a pit bull collection agency. The lender is GE money Bank who is anything but caring.

• Ly
    Lydia Nov 18, 2008

I want to pay off my care credit also. I was charged $39.00 a late fee and my due date has alway been on the 19th or 23nd of the month, and now it's the 16th and they didn't even tell me. They just changed me a late fee, and d I am very upset.

Sandra Andersen Nov 22, 2008

You guys are scaring me. I have NEVER been late with any payment. I just put $11, 000. on this account for my husbands dental work with Gilani.
    Last month was the first payment and I assumed I could pay it online like everything else. So I put it off until a few days before due date. Can not even get on their site. I finally called and was told it would be a $29.00 fee for making it over the phone and it was too late to mail. Get this, she said the payments had to be made after 1:30 in order to be posted that day. I said do it and guess what it just turned 1:30. Well I had to pay it. They waived the fee and that's all I know so far. As soon as I can I will transfer the balance to another card. Thanks for all of your testamonials.

Sandra

• Ka
    Katharine Gates Nov 28, 2008

These people are total CROOKS!
    I wanted to pay my lasik surgery in full the day I got it. I did not want to take credit at all, but the &%$#@ doctor insisted.
    One month I did not receive my bill from CareCredit. I think they purposefully didn't send it at this point. I called them about it and they said "no problem", just pay the monthly amount and we'll waive the late fee. Apparently ever since then I have been accruing interest for that missed payment on my "no interest" loan. But no explanations on the bill. Suddenly, this month, I owe them $400 in accrued interest on this no-interest loan. They are completely inflexible and unreasonable. I have offered to pay the principal in full immediately to get them off my back and they said there will still be charges.
    Count me in on any lawsuits.

Dawn Dec 24, 2008

Although they were there for me when someone hit my cat with their car, I have experienced nothing but poor customer service and dirty tactics. They have called me at work twice- which I think is completely unprofessional- trying to get me to pay a measley $70. I have tried to go on their website to make payments and get sent in circles. I already use GE Money Bank for other home loans, and the customer service staff for that company are rude and nasty. I had asked for specifics on an upcoming billing cycle and the lady that was "helping" me- after holding for 45min on my cell- was condescending and excuse the verbage, but "ghetto" with me while she was trying to be a smart ###. When I have explained to them that my company changed pay dates they were less than understanding and not willing to work on an alternative payment plan. They have told me that if I pay late then they will terminate my "Promo/ Deferred Interest" Plan- and I say "FINE- DO IT!!" Every time CareCredit calls me at work I can not understand a word they are saying- probably contracted out of the country. And have told them to never call me at work and hung up on them. The company I work for is a Gyn surgeon and a medical day spa and we assist our clients in getting set up with CareCredit all the time, but I don't think that I will be suggesting them anymore, as my experience with them has been horrible. I really care for the patients at the clinic as well as our spa clients and would feel really bad if I knowingly set them up for big time trouble and harrassment.

• Lv
    LVMom Dec 29, 2008

WOW ... this company truly redefines the old "carpetbagger" definition. Unbelievable. In this economy, in this day and time when so many people are struggling just to keep their jobs and their homes Care Credit finds it appropriate in their business practice to charge a 19% recurring interest. So they send you a monthly bill for $22.00 on a balance of $650 but little to so many unsuspecting consumers realize that out of that $22.00 being paid, 75% of it is going towards their finance charges. In the end, a balance financed of $500.00 ends up costing twice as much.

I tried calling this company to resolve this issue ... shortly after I lost my job. I spoke with Kelvin who purported himself to be a supervisor. He offered a 3 month payoff with interest still accruing but said that the account was closed. I had a balance at the time of just of $500.00. This was 3 months ago. I got a bill today of $810.00 ... which was fed by the insane interest charges that they apply each month.

I am still waiting for this illustrious 3 month payment plan that the supervisor, Kelvin, offered but ironically (and typically) when I call no one knows what I am talking about.

I submitted a complaint with the BBB today ... we will see what happens. But I warn anyone out there who is looking for an alternative to pay for the rising costs of "out-of-network" or "out of parameter" medical procedures to beware of Care Credit. Don't get caught with their application and pen in your hand for you will be signing away your savings.