Capital One Financial Corporationrestriction on credit card d/t fraudulent activity

J Jun 02, 2019

On 5/29/19 my fiance called to lift a restriction placed on our credit card. The Capitol One customer service representative told him it wouldn't be today, but because it was an emergency, they'd try as hard as they could to get it done the next day. The request would be placed 'ontop' of the fraud department manager's desk ASAP. I was in Branson, Mo on my way to Greenbrier, AR, (which is two hours South of our home) on a sales call. Simultaneously, I ended up having issues with my PayPal account and found myself stranded - with no gas, no cash, no food-hence our need to lift the restriction on our Capitol One Credit Card. We have a time share in Branson, so one day, even if it came to two days, wouldn't be too bad of an issue. I would just book a room for a night, and stay to catch up on paperwork until I could leave. I was forced to book a 3Night stay BC I didn't have a working major credit card to put a deposit on, BC our Capitol One credit card was restricted. This was a waste of our time-share points, but the situation was emergent, understood, and I was just grateful to have a bed and a shower. That same day, he submitted the required documentation, which were pictures of his driver's license, and was told "Thank you. This is all we need. Sorry for the inconvenience" after they verified that the submitted document went through. The next day, because my fiance had to work and has no cell-service out there, he asked me to call them to see... stating he gave them permission to talk to me about our account. I put him on speaker and called them. I requested how it was going, they needed to verify that he was near and he then gave them his personal information. They were very friendly and stated "Everything looks great!" The rep verified once again, that the paperwork was all in order and we just had to wait for a fraud manager to call him within 72hrs of when he first contacted them, which again, was 5/29/19. I stated that due to not having any service where he works, would they mind calling my phone. They stated that was no problem, and we hung up. Jeremy called them once more that day, and again that evening with the same response: They can't do anything. There is nothing for us to do but wait for the Fraud Management Department to call us. In the meantime, I lost the $500 sale, and to pawn my wedding ring for gas money, and had not eaten but 1 taco from scraped up change since the 29th. I returned home, and we continued to call them various times throughout the day with continued answers of us to wait. Our patients was worn thin by now, however, we couldn't do anything. Our hands were tied, and it wasn't quiet 72hrs. Because our Timeshare was still active, we decided to drive back with our children for a mini vacation. My Paypal account was once again active, and we took some money out of our bank bc, why not? It's summer vacation, everyone was bored, and our card was going to be activated within a couple of hours, as the 72hr window was up. Yesterday, we called at 0915, and were told the same [censored] story... Just wait. She couldn't do anything. They will call you. She'll put an 'urgent sticker' on her email, and put it 'ontop of their pile'. I asked her to do that, re-read me the email so I knew it would get done. She stated she couldn't bc the email was automated... sent to another department to be written and sent. I was frustrated at this point. Six hours later - 1515 - We called back, after still not hearing back from that magical management. We talk to a man named Joel (I believe) who told us that my fiancé needs to send in his social security card, and a bank statement, which was later changed to varication of address. It was afternoon on a Saturday. We were 2hrs away from home. Joel stated that that information has been on our account for days. Why did we not send it. He was a [censored]. We said noone had told us to send in more information. As a matter of fact, everyone we talked to said our paperwork was in order! He told us sorry, but those are what is currently needed. I asked to speak to a manager, which he gladly sent us to. I have asked for a manager multiple times, and have been told that one is not available. They are on a different floor. I spoke to the manager... I was upset/angry/unprofessional... I apologized, but I strongly voiced how angry I was. My fiancé does not like to get angry. He just wants to cancel it all and do away with it because he too, is incredibly upset for being tugged around the way we have been. Our phone call was - surprisingly - disconnected! *Shock/ Gasp* I called back and went through the whole automated crap, once again, and immediately asked for manager. She attempted to assist, and was calm and kind, which calmed me. She transferred me to manager, who did not give a [censored] about who we were, or what our situation was. I begged... explained... expressed...and he easily dismissed our case, stating that we had to send those documents in before anything can happen. So... now we wait. 2 hrs south of our home, with five children, who are bored bc we cant do what we said we could. We are making the best of this situation, but Capitol One has completely [censored]ed us over. They will not (they state they are not allowed to) tell us what all of this [censored] is even about. They sent us an email to upload the documents to... however, it is not working. I'm so done. I'm upset and disheartened. We have been customers for 3yrs now. Have had two cards. Filled them up. Paid them off. And now, I want nothing to do with them. I don't know if you can help. But I will be sending this to BBB. I will fax a copy of this to the "Complaint Department", which I was told during my 0900 phone call, that the only way to send complaints is through the USPS - address in Utah, or fax it. I will do all three. I don't know what can be done. We will send the damn documents. But we are continuing to consider our options. I have NEVER dealt with such unprofessionalism. I have been a customer service representative, I know the [censored] that comes through. I am generally one of the customers reps enjoy talking to, and discussing with, but I was pushed to the brink of mania because of the lack of respect. The obvious 'muted moments'. The flippant disregard of me, my family, as PEOPLE. We are PEOPLE. HUMANS. Not NUMBERS. Not solely CASES, ACCOUNTS. There are real-life consequences when your livelihood is messed with. When your expected money isn't available. When multi billion dollar companies cant show sympathy and consideration, they fail. You have failed. I want everyone we dealt with fired. I want at least $500 reimbursed to us due to the loss of my sale, and $50 for the loss of my engagement ring.