Capital City BankStay away

Capital city bank, formerly known as farmers & merchants bank is the worse bank on earth. Their so called bounce protection is not a protection for the customers, but a device for them to con their customers out of their hard earned money. They will approve small amounts of debits and check, and if you then debit a large amount from your account, a week later, they then rearrange your account so that all the small debits, that were posted and already debited, they will then take the larger amount and post it first, throwing all the other debits of the smaller amounts to have 30.00 overdraft fees. How is this helping the customer? on line, in the offices, and at the atm it shows that you have enough to cover the smaller debits and may be shy just a few dollars for the larger amount, but again, when the larger amount is debited, they see fit to then go back and redo your account to throw the smaller debits in overdraft!!! Please, if anyone else is having this problem, please speak up so this practice can be deemed illegal. Many of my friends and families have lost so much money to this practice, something has to be done!!! Do not use Capital city bank, it's the devil's workshop!!!

• Ah
    ahjr Jul 28, 2010

Here it is two years later and they are still handling business in the same manner. I have been with Capital City Bank for five years now and I have seen them do this occasionally to try and make me over draft my account. Well today it has finally happened. They have re-ascended my transactions so I end up with $300 in INSF fees for $80. Here's the catch though I DON'T have overdraft protection. How does that work? They also do this close to your paydays. Well this is the last straw. I hope the $300 dollars really meant that much to Capital City Bank. You have just lost a long time customer and I'm sure my co-workers (that have accounts with you) would really like to hear how you do business.

• Jj
    JJ Messick Aug 12, 2010

Just left with meeting with a bank officer today in regards to this very subject. The meeting was at first non productive. As she explained that the multiple items that were showing up as cleared on my account prior to my using the so called overdraft protection service were in fact pending. However this was not how it appeared to me on my transaction records that I did check prior to withdrawal of the larger amount. Which I expected would be charged with a single fee on.

Long story short I grew inflamed over their obvious scam and as my voice grew louder she finally agreed to refund the added fee that was posted on the item they moved after my large transaction. This has happened before. So I demanded that she remove the overdraft scam from my account. Which she did.

My automatic deposits go into this account. So I need to find a honest bank if one exist to move this activity to prior to closing this unfortunate account. If anybody has suggestions please share.

• Ah
    ahjr Aug 24, 2010

@JJ Messick. Envision seems to be a reliable, honest bank. Try them if you haven't done so already. CCB doesn't care about their clients (unless you have a mil in your account then you get red carpet treatment). Their main concern is to make money at any expense, including losing clients. But what goes around comes around, hope they realize this sooner than later, (just saying this to be nice, I don't really mean it).

• Md
    M Dorris Nov 03, 2010

This happened to me on two occaisions, Items that had previously cleared (ATM with draws at their location) were rearranged for a couple of days so they could create multiple fees ($300) instead of just one. They rearrange to pay the largest first to promote overdraft fees. I have overdraft protection but did not help. When asked if some of the fees could be refunded I was declined. I know they don't need my business, but they just lost my 4 accounts and I will campaign against them.

• Ay
    AYESHA RAZA Jan 17, 2011

Respected sir,
    MALIK TANVEER EJAZ is ur previous claint his old NIC#5808407, & current# [protected].& his old num is [protected] & his old adress is "CC-17, 1ST FLOOR, CHINTOO MINTOO ENTERTAINMENT WORLD DEFENCE VIEW.he have SOGO CAR 2342 & new num#[protected], [protected].now he run new ARTY PARTY bussiness and he live in GULISTANE JOHAR in NOMAN AVENUE 2ND FLOOR corner flate, he have two stores in johar near city bank, and he is arrange castles slide every week PAF KARSAZ.
    he is defolter many banks and ur bank too, he cheated many banks, plz u should strong step and recover ur amount, because he never cheat any company banks, he is not good citizen.
    THNX

• Sc
    Scott Lawley May 12, 2011

Send your complaint to the Better Business Bureau. I did!

• Sc
    Scott Lawley May 12, 2011

Send your complaint to the Better Business Bureau. I had the same problem. How these people sleep at night and feel good is beyond me Capital City Bank is a total ripoff!

• Iv
    IvanBalla Jun 18, 2011

I had same problem, said they closed my account then went on line five minutes ago, and all off a sudden the overcharges were wiped clean...yet when I tried to open an account in a new bank they flagged me...ugh they rip me off right and left, going to deposit 5.00 in the account in the morning and see what happens...they sent letter 2 months ago threatening to take me to court for overdraft fees but money was there...they are complete ###s. Their own employees hate to run the bank and then we ### at our friends working there when they have no control, it hurtd them, not the bank.

• Iv
    IvanBalla Jun 18, 2011

I would love to tell my father to remove his money, which he has a large amount of out of this bank.

• St
    standup1000 Dec 03, 2011

I had same problem, they charged me alot of overdraft fees i couldnot explain to thim there was mistake and i always make sure that i do have enough money so i will not hit overdraft. they always passed the higher amount and leave me with short money so they can pass the smaller amount with alot of over draft. i decided to start pay my bills not with checks or my visa card rather than to withdrew all my balance include my overdraft, and after several times after they knew that i will not be stupid like before they stop my overdraft and acuse me that i abused my acount. i think they are agroup of...and u know the rest

oxDragonflyox Jan 19, 2012

Same thing happened to me This morning. I found out that they rearranged my account and Made my account into the Neg. I am highly Upset And to the point To where Im ready to contact a lawyer and Find out what I can do to prevent this from happening again!! Maybe This should be in the media Also!! Let people Know what Capital city bank is doing!! And not to bank with them!

oxDragonflyox Jan 19, 2012

I would close my account but since I have direct deposit and My pay period is ths week I won't recieve My check! Great Idea capital city I bet your making a killing off of honest Hard working People!! DISGUSTING!!

oxDragonflyox Jan 19, 2012

No what you dont understand is that THEY WERE NOT CHECKS !!! I used my debit card and them Transactions that I did Had shown up on my statement NOT AS PENDING!! they were covered.. All of a sudden My Bank account Was rearranged In a manner to where I Had over draft fees!! so Miss/ Mr why the long faces Can you explain to me how 4 of my transactions shown they were deducted in the positive on a certain date and then posted in the negative 1 day later??????????????????? This has happened to quite a few people. I think we know our ouwn bank accounts!!

• Mq
    MQqqqq Mar 28, 2012

It's really simple...KEEP A CHECK REGISTER! Write down all your debits, your checks, and SUBTRACT! It's basic math that a first grader could do! If you overdraft, it's because you didn't maintain your account. A bank account is a personal responsibility...it's not up to the bank to know how you use your money. Get a pen, a free check register from your bank and a calculator. It's that simple.

• My
    My bank robs me! Jul 08, 2012

When you use your debit card to get gas Capital city bank also adds a 75.00 hold on your account plus what your debit is, so if you put 25 bucks in your gas tank it is teally costing you100 bucks against your account and then other debits bounce, when you use your debit card to get out of "town" they do this as well! They do not tell you this, this is not in the disclosures agreement you sign and it doesn't show up on your account online, paper bank statements, etc only on "their" screen.

• Why The Long Faces Jul 08, 2012

My bank, no the bank does NOT add the $75 hold on your account when you get gas, the GAS STATION does and they TELL YOU RIGHT ON THE PUMP HOW MUCH THE AUTHORIZATION IS before you ever pump that gas. Learn to read. Shell Gas station is $150, and BP is $50 in certain states.It is stated on the pump. It is stated on the pump. It is stated on the pump.

Stop overdrafting and spending more than you have and you will never get a fee. Never.

MamaSue23 Aug 13, 2012

My son - age 18- is about to start college. Years ago his grandparents set aside some stock money for this day. Fees are due at TCC and my son called his grandfather to ask for some some of this stock money for tuition. His grandfather called the broker and a check was sent to our address with my son's name on the check, but secondary to his grandfather (custodian). He tried to deposit this check last week and was told NO that his grandfather had to endorse it. His grandfather lives out of town and this past weekend we visited him and he endorsed the check. My son was back at the branch on Thomasville Rd. by SteinMart and again they REFUSED to DEPOST this check into his checking account! This after both I (his mother, who has had a CC account for over 20 yrs) and his elderly grandfather had talked to them on the phone at length regarding this matter. Apparently some egomaniac bank clerk is making some kind of power play, not caring that a young man with a legitimate check MADE OUT TO HIM and endorsed by the custodian on the account could lose his classes at college. Bad way to start a relationship with a bank.

• Why The Long Faces Aug 15, 2012

No it is not a bad way to have a banking relationship. It has nothing to do with egos and everything to do with the banking policy and the law. How much is the check for? What reasons are they giving for not allowing the deposit? You left the last part out.

MamaSue23 Aug 15, 2012

Reason given: 18 yr old's name was second on check, not primary custodian. However, we did what was asked of him to deposit this check, travelling out of town and getting the check endorsed by the primary custodian. This check was for $3700. And YES, this is a bad start to a banking relationship, to be treated like a criminal. There seemed to be an assumption that something was wrong with this check, despite lengthy phone calls from me (his mom) and his grandfather (the custodian on check). I am moving my checking and savings account, and so is my 16 year old. I have banked with them for over 20 years and this is how they treat my son?! It was as though those phone calls made by his mother & grandfather which discussed how to get the funds deposited in his account never happened?. Where were the notes regarding this situation for them to refer to regarding this?! THEY COULD HAVE PLACED A HOLD ON THIS CHECK but chose not to based on no particular reason except to stonewall a customer based on personal bias that I have to believe was a power trip.

It is indeed a bad way to start a banking relationship when you get lies from unhelpful employees and the whole family wants to leave this bank, me after 20 years, my son after 2 months! Shame on "Jackie" at the Thomasville Rd. branch by Appleby''s.

• Why The Long Faces Aug 15, 2012

Poster, you claim the bank treated your son bad, and that you have been with them for 20 years. I want you to think about something.

Let's say I bring a check for $3700 with your name and mine on it to have it cashed. I claim to be your child. The bank calls to confirm this and I give them the number to call you. You verify that I am your child and that all is well. They cash the check and I go on my merry way...Now...how does the bank know that YOU are YOU? They can not see you through the phone. There is a reason that checks over a specific dollar amount with 2 names on it are scrutinized before cashing. It is to prevent fraud. How would you like them to cash the check I give them without seeing YOUR ID to make sure you are you and I am who I claim to be? Would you say, oh well, they should not treat you as a criminal? No, you would not want me cashing a fake check and stealing your money.

Stop being stupid and realize that every single bank has a policy about cashing checks with two people's name on it. Most often than not, BOTH parties have to be present to cash it.

MamaSue23 Aug 15, 2012

Uhmmm... They did not tell my son or me to have request to have it re-issued. They told us to get grandpa to endorse it. Then they refused it again. Now they want to hold it NINE days, having already verified it's a GOOD check. What exactly IS the baking policy for this situation? Apparently it changes every day.

• Why The Long Faces Aug 16, 2012

Venice, being kicked off my 3 cents is not the worse thing I have ever dealt with honey. It does not even rate to the pain of a stumped toe. So, cry me a river.

MamaSue23 Aug 16, 2012

Well, obviously you aren't following what happened closely. Apologist for the bank much? We do what they ask, but then they change their mind and decide they want to handle it yet another way. Of course, IF they had originally asked for the check to be re-issued, that would have already happened. This is going on a week and a half. If you followed my narrative about this, you would know that they FIRST they wanted the custodian's (who lives out of town's) signature, NOW they want a 9 day hold, but again, you appear to want to make excuses for why CC gives customers the run around. Because they can change the "banking policy" which it appears isn't a policy exactly, so much as road-blocking a good check for a customer apparently on personal bias BECAUSE THEY CAN.

MamaSue23 Aug 17, 2012

Obviously in hindsight, the funds still sitting on hold, would have been the best option. If only they had told us that the first time. We are only customers who are unaware of banking rules and policies.I do wonder why the broker issued this check. He certainly did not alert grandpa about this ahead of time. With the customer's personal information right in front of him on the computer, he should have known that the grandson lived out of state and warned him that if grandpa isn't on grandson's account, it would not be deposited. The bank definitely could have been more helpful and understanding. Also all their employees need to get on the same page and not have one employee tell you to do one thing and have another say no, that won't work either. I thought it was the banker's job to be helpful when you run into problematic situations, to suggest the best way to handle such a transaction. Meanwhile folks, my son's college money sits with a hold on it and school starts in a week. Thanks for the helpful comments.

• St
    Steaming HOTT Sep 09, 2014

Capital City Bank is a total rip off, I have experience first hand on how they rearrange checking accounts to so that you will acquire the 35.00 over draft fee, but I have contacted Better Business Bureau so I hope they can have my money refunded back to me ASAP..

• Mi
    mikel1111 Jun 09, 2015

WORST BANK IN THE WORLD!!! VARY HIGH OVERDRAFT FEES VARY LATE AN UNUSUAL DEBIT POSTING TIMES. I THINK I GOT 14 OVERDRAFT CHARGES LAST MONTH AFTER MY BILLS POSTED THEN DISAPPEARED THEN RE-POSTED WHEN THE ACCOUNT WAS LOW ON FUNDS. I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH THIS BUT I GOT FED UP AND SWITCHED BANKS TO SUNCOAST CREDIT UNION PROBABLY THE BEST DECISION I MADE IN MY LIFE BESIDES MY DIVORCE LOL.

• Ke
    Kenny2182 Sep 09, 2015

I recently got hit with 4 overdraft charges. And let me say right off the bat, these charges will get most people eventually, and that's exactly what the scam is designed to do.

For those who say this is the clients fault, first...how about CCB NOT opting me into something I never asked for to begin with? and when I call to opt out, how about CCB NOT tell me I have to show up at the bank in person in order to opt out? Turns out those aren't the rules at all, just something CCB tells their customers to make it just inconvenient enough that it may keep the client opted in. Of course Capitol City Bank denies ever telling me that little lie...imagine that.

I filed with the BBB and got half my fees back, and will likely write my bank locally to see if I can get the rest back. I may well close my account, especially after reading these posts, and all depending how the locals act. I wasn't aware of the rearrangement part of the scam.

I recommend you all file with the BBB no matter what circumstances caused the overdraft fees...your fault, you say? You never should have been opted into this to begin with, so no matter what, CCB is at fault. Capitol City Bank, by design, set this trap, then blames the victim for stepping in it...age old tactic. Problem is, some good, trusting people buy that it may be their fault, and CCB loves those "cooperative" clients, bless their hearts, another age old tactic, prey on the trusting... so sad.

I'd also recommend you file with Consumer Affairs online, it's very easy to do. Surprisingly, Consumer Affairs say they don't have enough complaints against Capitol City Bank to post them to the public on their site, so I recommend you change that by filing there, and give CCB the recognition they so richly deserve. CCB doesn't care, so what's the use? Of course they care and of course they will act like they don't...basic psychology. But in reality, every legit complaint that can be read, like here on the net, hurts them, hence can and will cost them clients/money, so speak out loudly and often against them or, for that matter, anyone who is mistreating you.

There are better banks out there, and I know it's a hassle but go to the trouble to dump this and any business that behaves like this, it's one of the few things that will stop them for doing their dirty deeds, as all they understand is loss of income...ethics/morals are something they have no interest in. And in a case like this especially, it may be of direct advantage to you in the future to leave. Not only all that, but it'll make you feel good because you accomplished several good things by doing so.

• Justifiably Angry Mar 02, 2017

I have been documenting all these same issues for years. I also was a victim of fraud one Sunday night starting around 12:00 am every 5 minutes to the tune of 20-35$ each time from the same account for a total of around 1500$. When I went to the Bank Managers office that am I was told that even though that money was clearly marked pending and had not been given to the fakes I would still have to wait 2-3 months so they could investigate. I refused to leave the "My" bank until they took care of their customer and gave me back my money. I was there until around 2:00 that afternoon. That's how hard they tried to protect the rights of the theif!

If there is an attorney our there that is willing to go up against this monster please step forward.

• Justifiably Angry Mar 02, 2017

Also, April 17, 2017 CCBG says you will no longer be able to sue them or profit from a classaction suit for any wrong doing on their part. Sounds like to me they already are prepairing for battle. Be of good cheer, be aware but remember the darkness will never outshine the light!

• Justifiably Angry Mar 18, 2017

@Justifiably Angry I certainly will be of good cheer. I am aware but not alarmed. I love your reference to light and darkness. Isn 't it good to know the one who's really in charge? Have blessed day!

• Da
    Dale Cooper Mar 12, 2017

worst banking system out there, newberry fl branch .DANGER nasty folks too, capitol city going down the tubes

• Si
    Silver moon Jun 13, 2017

Shame on you for personally and publicly attacking this employee at the bank because you did not get what you wanted and clearly cannot understand nor are willing to understand or accept the terms and conditions of a negotiable item (check) . if not properly endorsed and negotiated, the issuing financial company of the ck could return it and overdraw your sons account which is a bad way to start a relationship with a bank especially at a young age, and to be fair, it is not only This bank that has that policy, most banks would have the same policy, and a phone call would not authenticate the custodian signature or identity.