Menu

F
Author of the complaint
4:11 am
Replied
The company left an official comment on this complaint.
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Scam alert. I was setting up a roku stick on another tv and I was directed to call a tech support. I did. The agent (probably located in India, by the accent) explained to me that there was some breach and that for safety I would need to pay a Lifetime guarantee subscription fee for 5 years 89.00 or so and for lifetime 130.00 or so, he was very convincing. I was surprised and told him roku does not charge additional fees but he really convinced me that by the end of the month I would be disconnected and that all other subscribers were paying... I paid and I now I realized it was a scam. They even provided me with a receipt for my payment after taking my card information.

The "company" is Caligeeks... beware.

I would like a refund.

More Caligeeks complaints & reviews

Caligeeks - Was charge $89.99 for a so call registration fee
Caligeeks - Misrepresentation of roku
Caligeeks - Roku
12 comments
Dec 05, 2020 5:32 pm

Update: Dec 5, 2020

The company "Caligeeks Inc", continues to run scams that impacts consumers of Roku Products. Beware! The smooth talking Caligeek representatives are nothing more than well trained scam artists. It saddens me to know that Caligeek continues to fraudulent represent the Roku name. At what point will this type of activity end. The scam goes well beyond an activity fee/upgrade. This company is sophisticated and highly knowledgeable in the area of the internet and consumer technology. Please be wear and an advocate for consumer rights.

M
Aug 28, 2020 10:13 pm

I was also scammed and need to know how I can get my money back.

Aug 07, 2020 5:04 am

I just bought a Roku smart Tv at best buy yesterday 8-6-2020 and in the process of setting it up got a error message and to call a phone number to fix it. The man on the phone had a India accent and i thought to myself that this conversation was not going to go well. I could not understand him very well but he did fix the problem. Also pressured me into buying a 5yr support contract of $62.00 for any issues that arise. I am a female of 70 years and feel l that i can spot scammers and this conversation was a red flag for me. I did receive another call back asking if i needed any further help but i did figure it out myself. In the email i received it read i could get a refund within 30 days which is what i plan on doing.

May 15, 2020 7:38 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Here's what I want to know, how are they getting their information to contact them on roku devices? Did they buy a ton of them then hack their info into them and then sell them to the public? Where are you guys buying your roku devices from? I've bought 3 and my current is a new gen that just launched last October. I've never had issue with this but I've also had my roku account for a very long time so I'm not creating a new one either. Here's the deal, Roku says this is a scam and they are not affiliated with these people. This company can't just decide they are going to provide services for another company and charge that other companies customers for that service without permission or agreement/arrangements to do so. So they can claim to be real and legitimate all they want but in regards to Roku, they are not. Roku doesn't charge for set up or to create an account. Take it from me, a long time ROKU user and satisfied customer. And buy your device from a reputable company like Best Buy or Walmart. Roku's aren't that expensive to try and save a few bucks buying from some website that has this scam software incorporated into it.

C
May 15, 2020 10:10 am

If not a scam why was my fiancé" told that every roku customer will be having to pay at the end of the month! She was told that all roku customers will be deactivated until they pay the fees! liars

D
May 01, 2020 10:13 am

I paid the 159 so that I can have a lifetime but here’s the deal if it’s a scam then explain to me why until I paid the money device would not work and once I connected it then it fired up . If it is a scam can we dispute it on the credit card? And the other thing is how come on the box and gave the website the then the website gave the number ?

S
Mar 02, 2020 12:00 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I was scammed also February/2020. While setting up my new Roku Ultra and almost to completion there was a notice on the TV screen that my Roku account had been denied and to call the number noted on the screen. I did (as I wanted my Roku to work). They told me (Caligeeks) that Roku had a new policy where a fee was charged for service, etc. I asked why wasn't that noted in the set-up instructions paperwork from Roku. He said because it was a new policy just instituted. Well, I was a sucker and paid! How does a scammer/hacker get into a Roku installation? I wish someone would let me know. Since, I have had to cancel my credit card, notify the FTC, notify the people I have my payments to via credit card! This has caused me much stress! Not happy! I want restitution from these criminals!

T
Nov 30, 2019 4:05 pm

I too was setting up new roku tv and it wouldn't work so it prompted me to call roku and I got caligeeks yes they were convincing I paid $120.00 for what it didn't give me anything I didn't already have I want a refund all or part of my money its a total scam!

O
Sep 25, 2019 10:40 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I was setting up my Roku Express this morning and almost fell victim to this scam. Because I looked online for Caligeeks and roku, this scam alert posting popped up. I told the guy on the phone to give me proof that they were working with Roku, and he could not, so I told him this was a scam and if I see a charge on my credit card I will sue him!

E
Sep 13, 2019 4:41 am

wish we had looked into this before doing this. My husband just did they same exact thing. Did they ever charge your account for anything else>? just wondering if we need to get a new bank card

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

15 complaints