California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]Unable to register a new vehicle

F Jul 02, 2020

I purchased a small camp trailer in Utah and towed it back to California in April, right in the middle of the closures for the pandemic. The Cal. DMV offices were closed. I went online and learned that because it was a new trailer and hadn't been registered in Utah I had to fill out a few forms and take them and the bill of sale and title to the local DMV. I did all this and went to the DMV this morning now that they're open again. I was first in line and when the lady working there came out she asked if I had an appointment, I told her no. I explained my situation to her and showed her the paper work which she took and looked at, and then she told me that I didn't have an appointment so she wouldn't assist me. I told her I was unable to make an appointment because they weren't accepting any new appointments. So I was turned away from a state agency that I pay taxes to support and now have an 18, 000+ dollar trailer that if I try to use I'll get a ticket for not being registered but I'm not allowed to register it because DMV refuses to register it because I didn't make an appointment several months ago in anticipation of purchasing something I wasn't even thinking about back then. I'm so frustrated at this point. I either use it and fight a ticket in court or sue the state for the 18, 000+ dollar brick I have I'm my yard. It should also be noted that our local DMV has times when there are zero public there but I'm still not allowed inside without an appointment... that I can't make!