Cabela'scredit card scam

I went to Cabela's in Scarborough, ME two months ago to get .22LR ammo, and was told they didn't have any. Then I questioned this, was directed to another person, then to another person, who then showed me some ammo, but asked me, first, if I would do him a favor and sign up for a credit card – he said he had to meet a quota for credit card sign-ups, AND, if I was approved, the purchase would be free. I did not want a credit card, but figuring I had to do this to get ammo, and thinking I would not get approved anyway, I acquiesced. But I did get approved, and he told me the ammo would be free. And I got a stupid hat. So I left with my FREE purchase and tore up the credit card (which, I noticed, has an RFID chip in it) as soon as I got into the parking lot. Two months later they are harassing me to pay $19.05. I have no phone but I did e-mail their customer service and told them to please close my account with nothing due and we'll be good. I will post an update.

• Re
    Reviewer80368 Nov 20, 2015

Order rod and reel 2 weeks ago they can't find it and it been paid with MasterCard was told she would talk to her super that will take another 4 days. They certainly lack customer service

• Ro
    Rockandroll Oct 26, 2013

Best to read the terms and conditions before you agree to anything.

• Ga
    Galileo 698 Oct 25, 2013

I went to Cabela's in Scarborough, ME to see if I could find .22LR ammo. First I was told they had none, then to another person, and then to another person who said he "would give me ammo, and it would be FREE, if I was approved for a credit card." I said I did not want a credit card, but he insisted, saying that it was a "favor" to him because he had to meet a quota of credit card sign-ups. I obliged anyway, thinking I would not get approved, but ammo is being withheld from customers, so I figured I had to do this to get ammo. I got approved and he gave me a box of cheap ammo. I made sure to ask if there were any annual fees, and they said no. I tore the card up as soon as I got into the parking lot. (Which, BTW, I noticed had a RFID chip in it). Two months later, I get a bill for 19.05, and now they are harassing me to pay it. I had called earlier this month to get the matter settled, but I was too angry and then the customer service person said I now owe $25!! I have now contacted customer service via e-mail since I have no phone and told them I want my account closed with nothing owed to them, and consider the matter settled. I will post an update.