BudsGunShop.comUnethical business practices

I have spent thousands of dollars at this website and I had recently purchased an optic item (BARSKA AC10332 RED DOT 50MM RED 5MOA). After using this item once it broke. On the website the buyer has the ability to rate the product and leave messages for other buyers. Before I had bought this product there was only one review and it was a good one, so I bought it. After it broke I went back and gave it one star and a bad review (without being nasty). The next day my review had been deleted. I posted it again. Again it was deleted. This happened everyday for 5 days. Today I logged in and saw that my post had been deleted and Budsguns had created someone with my same name and gave the product a good review!!! I tried to log in but they discontinued my account so I could not! I think this shows an extreme lack of business integrity and only serves to trick the buyers into buying this cheaply made product. Not only did they delete my bad reviews and account, but now they are posing as me and posting good reviews (and they locked me out so I can’t do anything about it).

I suggest that all of you that have complaints contact the Kentucky Better Business Bureau. I did. The number to the BBB of Kentucky is [protected]. Once you call enter the number for Buds [protected]). Buds is a member of the BBB, and the BBB needs to see this pattern that isn’t being reported. Otherwise Buds will continue with their deceptive unethical business practices.

Unethical business practices

• Co
    Coprolite May 28, 2014

Buds response is truly unbelievable. Whoever the clown is who's rebutting these claims needs to be dismissed immediately. I have a history of one successful purchase from Buds, but it will be my last simply based on this idiot's rants. Methinks he doth protest too much.

• Mi
    Midwestoracle Apr 15, 2014

Wow! Again, Wow. Just the fact there was sooooo much churn on this site for a 4+year period; I will not purchase anything from Buds. I am about to make my first handgun purchase and have been looking around at a lot of sites and Bud's was looking pretty good...until I read their replies in this thread. I don't know if anything said by anyone here is true or false, but the responses from Bud's alone are enough for me to take my money somewhere else. Too bad, too, as the prices at Bud's looked darned good to me. However, I will take my chances elsewhere.

I think Bud's could learn from Nordstrom, Chick-Fil-A, and L.L. Bean. Their customer's love them!

• Br
    breakneck Nov 12, 2013

Glad I found all this.
    Read through every page.
    Can't believe how Bud's views it's customers and potential customers.
    I've been looking at this site for a long time and pricing out firearms to order and am happy to have found this site.
    They ain't gettin my loot ever!
    They remind me of someone I'd want to kick in the face if I met in person with the arrogance of ' screw you we have this many customers right now'.
    Well it sounds like not all of these customers were all that happy with them.
    All that wasted time on the site... least I didn't put my money into the hands of someone like Buds...

• Ks
    KSJ7340 Jul 28, 2013

Was looking for a 38 special as a birthday present for my wife. WOW!! Buds Gun shop will never get my buisness. A very short and simple apology and a statement that the posting change was a bad decision would have caused me to consider using BGS. Not now not ever.

• Gd
    GdaddyZ May 30, 2013

I have purchased three guns from Buds and after a good experience on the first, went ahead and ordered a second. After not receiving the gun, I called and found that it had been sold to someone else and Beretta would be getting them another. It took two weeks and several $35.00 gift cards to appease me and get my gun. I decided to purchase another gun on layaway after talking to a sales rep who assured me that if the price dropped they would ensure I got the new price. After 60 days I went to get my gun out of layaway and discovered the price had dropped by well over $100.00. When I called they rudely said the price guarantee is only for 30 days and would not work with me and told me on at least 4 occasions that they have thousands of orders to fill and could care less if I ever buy another gun from them...so be it. You have been warned...

• Ki
    Killer B. Killed Mar 13, 2013

Bud's follows no code of ethics. They ignore people looking to return defective products. I emailed them 6 days ago about a defective gun they sold me and still haven't gotten a response. When the guy working at the local FFL retrieved my gun he pointed out that it was shipped in a bad without any protection and the magazine in the weld. Bud's says once a customer accepts a firearm they will not refund the purchase money, but with my problem I would not have been able to find my guns defect merely by visually inspecting it. The defect is that when the mag has rounds in it, it will not stay in the weld. it pushes itself back out. I also bought 200 rounds to shoot and they were mailed to the wrong address. UPS said they tried to get a correct address from Bud's and couldn't so they returned them. Bud's never called or emailed me about the address problem, and by the time I found out about it the 200 rounds had been returned to Bud's. Rather than eat the 9 dollars it would have cost to send them to me, the female operator offered me a refund, minus 10 percent. The refund was issued and allegedly mailed on march first, and here we are 12 days later, and I still don't have a refund. I have never been so ashamed to have trusted a gun dealer. They really take advantage of people without remorse. PLEASE BUY FROM ANOTHER DEALER.

• De
    deerman549 Mar 11, 2013

I too have problems with Buds Gun Shop dishonest business practice.I dont have alot of money to put pay for most guns in full.So last year long befor the buying frenzie started I put a gun I wanted in Layaway.I put my 10% down, the gun was shown in stock and I assumes Buds would pull one from stock and put it in a layaway ben with my name on it.WRONG!!! this is why Buds wont give you a ser.# on you layaway gun.I have bought 14-16 guns over the years from dealers all over the country that had layaway programs and every single one of them gave me a ser.# on my gun they pulled from stock for me.Buds gives you 90 day to pay it off which I did well within that time frame.I called to made the last payment over the phone with my debit card so I could get it own the way then low and behold Buds didnt have my gun I put in layaway and had been paying my hard earned money for almost 3 mos.Well it showed IN STOCK when I put my money down.All I got from the person on the phone after being on hold for 10 mins was a bunch of babble."well we dont have it" well we can have you one in a couple of weeks" and on and on BS.What they did is take my money and put it in their bank to have use of it while they were selling out all of the invertory of the gun I put in layaway to people who could pay in full for them.The is dishonest if I ever saw such a thing.If they are going to run a layaway program then thay have a moral and legal obligation to pull the item from stock, put you name on it, send you the ser.# and dont sell it to anyone else till it goes 90 days.If they cant do that then they need to do away with the layaway program.Their are lots of dealers on line with layaway that do honest business and want return customers.Looking at the number of complaints on Buds ethics and honest anit in their business model.

• Ne
    Newbie69 Feb 19, 2013

WOW. I recently made my first purchase with Buds, and did not have any issues. However, I cant side with a company who even with the smallest complaint replies with such rudeness and no compassion for the people who have kept them in business for the 20 out of 41 years. I am taken back by there replies. I cant imagine that a business owner would ever think that the customer is not always right. Maybe they are not, but you dont let them know that. I would rather have 20 bad customers than none at all. these posts will keep me from becoming a loyal customer because I dont want the headache. Too many other stores that actually appreciate peoples business.

• Bi
    BigRon66 Jan 07, 2013

Bought a Tactical Mini 14 Form them got a Ranch Rifle instead Told me they would send my gun dealer a Shipping label and this was after arguing with them about wanting to charge me a 20% restocking fee, , they did not so i called Ruger who told me Buds ships from a distributor...and does"t know what is sent and HAD me send the Rifle back to Ruger with all my paper work

• Ba
    badreligion9265 Dec 06, 2012

I recently made an order with this company. The item was ordered Nov 23rd and now it is Dec 6th but it hasn't left bud's warehouse, and yes it is in-stock and has been throughout the duration of my ordeal. My attempts at contacting them have been futile. I get hung up on, disconnected from live chat and no response via e-mail.

This company seemed to at one point in time be very reputable, sadly I think those times are coming to an end, there may be some serious leadership issues to blame based on a few other complaint boards I've already read through. Any company that resorts to these types of unethical practices should be held accountable. If you or anyone else you know has had a negative experience with buds contact the BBB via phone or internet(United States and Canada BBB Consumer and Business Reviews, Reports, Ratings, Com

james5 Nov 29, 2012

I too actually ordered 3 rifles from Buds. 1 Mosin and 2 Henry 22s. They arrived at my FFL in less than 6 business days. They were in perfect condition and packaged well. Very happy with Buds.

• Ti
    Time for fairness Nov 05, 2012

I was sent the wrong @*&^#%$ gun and I have seen many other people saying the same and worse on many forums, blogs and youtube. I am trying to break ties with this website by canceling my account and can't find a way to do that on their website. I would never buy anything from them again. Buds Gun Shop is hiding behind their stupid policy of " The product you receive does not always match what you get" Bull#^&% !!! and is ripping people off. Considering that the government regulates guns being transported over state lines and its not easy to return a gun like any other product.

• Hu
    huntsman Oct 24, 2012

Wow i was a few seconds away to putting in my credit card infro after setting up an account and decided to read reviews.All i have found on google is complaint after complaint but what changed my mind is buds no care we open and sell guns blah blah blah these comments not from the buyers but the way buds handled this has turned me away and will not buy anything from your site scott

• Cr
    creature66 Oct 18, 2012

I love how that chronic child molesting freak from "buds" keeps getting on here and talking about their increase in reg. customers. Hey [censored], you consider me a reg. customer even though my order was canc. and you had to refund my money, how many of your "reg. customers" will never do business with you again and are telling all their friends about you? What a pathetic was to do business and how hilariously un-American you have shown yourself to be.

• I ordered some 22 rounds from them. Everything arrived busted and damaged. As of now, weeks later, they refuse to respond, replace, or refund. I'm spreading the word.

• Mo
    morgia Sep 27, 2012

I think this is becoming the pile on factor. I ordered a Sig AR-15 from Buds. It was the cheapest place I could find it, and I'm talking $200-$300 cheaper than anywhere else. It was delivered to my FFL in a few days and was perfect. I love the thing and had absolutely no problems. I thought Buds was great, easy to use and the best prices anywhere.

• Th
    The Surgeon Sep 27, 2012

Man!?? Buds Gun Shop, this is in no way good for your business. I have never bought a gun from BGS and after reading all this, I won't be purchasing from BGS. I am curious to what has happened with Kentucky Law Firm and the legal action that was claimed to have been taken. Gees, I guess we will see if Buds is a good business or not. From what I have read on just this site, I don't see them staying open for long. 2009 from first post to current, it takes time. I guess will see. Oh, this is to Buds Gun Shop, if you are still watching. Do you have a reply to Kentucky Law Firm? Thanks to the original poster, you saved me some grief.

JAGMB Aug 21, 2012

Thank God I found this dialogue on here... was getting close to wasting $5, 500 in a first-time order on these hostile ###s. Gonna check out that other site that one dude recommended, gundealeronline.com. Sorry Buds, had you acted like a responsible business, this thread wouldn't exist in the first place. Ta.

• Ke
    KenBay Aug 18, 2012

I bought two firearms from Buds. I am going to try to stay neutral and just give facts here. I bought a Sig Sauer P250 and it was a piece of garbage. I could not hit a target at 10 feet--seriously, and the gun jammed every other round with HP ammo. This particular weapon has been known to have serious function problems I later discovered. I also bought a DPMS M-4 type weapon and it seems to be perfect so far, although I have not fired it yet. Both weapons were brand new. They both had the machining "smell" and look to them and were tight. Neither one I could tell was fired except for normal (and relatively useless) procedural test round. I cannot blame Bud's for the P250 necessarily. It may very well have been Sig Sauer's fault as the gun seemed to be brand new right from Sig Sauer. I found Bud's shipping to be stellar also--very fast. So that's my review--take what you may from it. I have to say I think Bud's should do something about all the complaints on here and elsewhere as it is no doubt hurting their business. Bud's has great prices--probably from their massive sales volume; I'd certainly hate to see them lose business.

• Vo
    von999 Aug 10, 2012

Damn... haha. I just bought a gun from buds.com... Now it is on its way to the FFL dealer that they recommend... I went over to the FFL dealer to sign my paper work so I can get it within the 10 days. They charge me $50.00 for them and 25$ for the back ground check. Also another 25$ on top of that and I forgot what it was. Total of 100$ just to pick up this gun... It still in the mail. Got a tracking # to the shipping and it has 3 items. I wonder what it has in it since I only order one... I shop locally and none has these type of calibar I was looking for so I found buds.com... They say the shipment would get to the FFL dealer on wednesday. The FFL dealer told me it will arrive saturday on a day they are close. So I have to wait 15 days for it. But I check UPS for the item and it say it should be ship to the FFL dealer on Wed. So I call up the FFL dealer about that and they say sure I can pick up the gun on friday or he get me a call if the gun arrived... I be tracking it when it arrived... The FFL better not lied...

• Sh
    Shame on you Buds Aug 02, 2012

Found this while searching reviews on Buds and thank you for bringing it to light. As a former manager of a national auto parts retailer I'm taken aback and shocked that in this day and age a company would think they could get away with this horrid level of customer service and it not to get all over the internet. I'm looking to purchase my 1st new gun and I can tell you that I just crossed Bud's off my list as I'd NEVER do business with a company who's spokes person would treat a customer the way I'm seeing them treat you. Looks like I'll continue shopping and may as well just buy it locally.

And to Bud's yes you very well sell guns everyday, however none of those will be to me, my family or any of my friends. Congratulations on losing countless customers with your childish replies that make you sound more like a jilted 15 year old girl arguing with her boyfriend on line then a reputable business.

• Ab
    ab119 Jul 13, 2012

i was considering buying a $630 gun from budsgunshop but after seeing this i think i will spend $700 at cabelas to know what im getting, thank you for bring this to light for me, possibly saved me a lot of trouble. always smart to be wary of online places like this i guess.

Jackson50 Apr 30, 2012

Then we have nothing more to discuss. Sometimes people just don't see eye to eye. No reason to belabor the issue. I'll stick with diplomacy. I hope your method does well by you.

Jackson50 Apr 29, 2012

It's wasted energy when the position you're presenting isn't getting the job - which is presumably to sway this audience to believe the customer was wrong and that the business was right - accomplished. Based on the overwhelmingly negative response to Bud's representative, I believe he's failing the debate. He's failing because of the tactic he's using.

Bud's representative could refute the customer's claim and defend their business practices without being rude or unprofessional. How? Offer to make it better. Offer a store credit. Offer to discuss it. Suggest an alternative. Anyone following the discussion will see his behavior and realize that Bud's isn't like the customer is suggesting. They'll see that there must've been a misunderstanding on the customer's side, because Bud's isn't being divisive or defensive and, instead, is being accommodating. An accommodating business professional is not the same kind of person who would behave as alleged, and even the most casual observer should recognize that.

Attacking a customer, even if he/she attacked Bud's first, is not the way to diffuse a conflict. Compromising with the customer is likely to be more effective, even if it means swallowing some pride and going beyond what you as the merchant believe is fair, within reason, of course - particularly when the rest of the Internet is listening in on the exchange. If the customer insists on being contrary, then, again, your fellow discussion followers will see his resistance and determine that he's just a malcontent. Either way, Bud's comes out on the shining side of the debate.

Whoever is representing Bud's can then go offline and complain to his peers until the cows come home about how unfair the world is; but the rest of us by that point will have seen the professional manner by which their employee conducted himself with an unhappy customer, and many of us might then believe that, if we were to make a purchase from Bud's and have something unfortunate happen, Bud's would at least treat us with respect and try to preserve its customers, as well as any potential customers they don't even have yet. This is basic business, and is not personal, nor should it be treated as such. Leave the personal attacks to the disrespectful common man, so the audience can see what a jerk he is. That difference in approach WILL be noticed.

It's about diplomacy, which involves helping someone understand your way of thinking without putting them on the defensive. When a person is defensive, as each side is in this particular situation, neither will listen to the other, and nothing will be accomplished - hence, the wasted energy. A professional business person should know that. Maybe some people would interpret that as babying or coddling, but that's what successful human interaction is all about. If you want to convince me I'm mistaken, it wouldn't be wise for you to start off by calling me an idiot, even if by all reasonable accounts I am, because that's the instant I'll stop listening to you. On the other hand, if you don't care if I'm convinced or not and just want to vent, then by all means throw all the insults at me that you want. I respond positively to intelligent and courteous exchanges, and negatively to belligerent behavior. I certainly won't speak for everyone, but I doubt that I'm alone in that.

All of that said, my confusion persists and surrounds Bud's representative continuing to argue his point, however valid he believes it to be, while at the same time suggesting the argument doesn't even matter by repeatedly advertising their growing number of customers. To me it's like coming right out and saying that he doesn't care what any of us think about Bud's because thousands of others are still flocking to their web site to make purchases. What will happen to the ones who subsequently have problems with what they've purchased? We can't know for sure, but based on the preceding evidence, it won't end with a satisfied customer. Things go wrong in business transactions every day, and feelings may get hurt; but it's about how that situation is handled that ultimately determines who will come back in the future and who will go away angry, and possibly go complaining on an open Internet forum.

Jackson50 Apr 27, 2012

Here's what I'm not understanding: The pervasive theme from the Bud's responder seems to be that they have so many customers, and so many more keep adding to their tally, that they aren't going to bother trying to make amends with an existing customer who has a complaint. (The number of customers keeps growing in subsequent posts.) The message received is that this customer and any others who have a problem with Bud's simply don't matter, and aren't worth the trouble. If that's the case, and Bud's truly doesn't care if this one person is happy, then why keep posting rebuttals? Why keep refuting? Despite all the negative comments that keep coming up here, that customer number keeps growing, and the 99% satisfaction rate isn't changing. Why waste the energy, Bud? You're adding fuel to the fire by continuing to post your responses, which, in my humble opinion, are unprofessional at best. This thread has reached 20 pages, primarily because of the hostile responses to the preceding complaints. I'll grant you that every customer can't be kept happy, but, especially when the rest of the world is listening in, that customer could at least be treated respectfully (which includes not referring to his/her comments, however ridiculous you feel they are, as "crap"). I just don't understand what Bud's stake is in all of this, if the ~0.8% (see, I pay attention) negativity isn't important to them.

• Gi
    girlswithguns Apr 16, 2012

My husband and I have been researching online gun stores and came across Budsgunshop.com and they seemed great. We were thinking about ordering 5 of the guns they had listed but thankfully we came across this thread and started looking into Buds customer service reputation, and well lets just say it is a real deal breaker. Who really wants to do business with a company that would treat a long term customer so badly. If they act like this to someone that has spent $30, 000 with them, then I am sure they could care even less about me. So you can add 2 more to the growing list of people that will not be ordering guns from Buds... not because of poor products or even unfair prices but for their very poor customer service!!!

• Wi
    WillyB Apr 09, 2012

I agree with the negative comments having been a victim myself. The BBB report says it all. How they still get an A+ with over a complaint a month - 39 in the last 36 months is beyond me (unless money changes hands). Also keep in mind that BBB reports are just those who are so irate they file. Others just take on an attitude of "never again will I buy there" like me.

• 1p
    1Pissedcustomer Mar 19, 2012

I just purchased a Taurus 24/7 G2 45 acp from BudsGunShop and the weapon would not hold a 2 FOOT group at 25 feet. The barrel seemed to be loose in the weapon. I called Buds and held for 20-25 minutes when the "jerk" that took my call hung up on me. I called again and this time I was informed that there was nothing they could do for me. I would have to contact the manufacturer to see what they would do. Needless to say, I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM BUDS screw-em SHOP AGAIN. My advice to anyone purchasing a weapon is to buy it from a reputible dealer.

• Kw
    kwTX Mar 17, 2012

G34 shooter I find it ironic that your only post on this website at all is pro Buds. Most of the PRO Buds postings are one time posters. It makes me wonder if thier representitives are still posting on this site under a different user name. Lets face it the guy using the name budsgunshop was an ### and an embarassment on the company. Like I said in a previous post look at thier BBC rating. In the last 12 months they have had 21 complaints, 21!!! Now their BBB rating is A+ but all that means is they corrected the problem after a customer had issue. DO some research people. Stop endorsing companies like this and make these bums go get a honest job or just be homless.

• Ye
    yeahiknow Mar 13, 2012

Never again will I buy from here. Said it was in stock. Ordered on 2/28/12 today its 03/13/2012 and my order still says processing. Not even shipped yet wtf! I complained. They gave me the run around blah blah u will get it soon. Soon when? It's showed in stock. So I said fu k this place and canceled my order. They didn't even bother to offer another gun or discount whatever. Just take it or leave it. Well sorry buds your place is Jack Shi!!!. I ordered from another site for less money and already got me a tracking number. Wtf Fu3k yo0 buds.com

• G3
    G34shooter Mar 12, 2012

I have ordered pistols, rifles from Bud's not one time have I ever had a problem. Another thing, I noticed a few certain "names" doing all the trash talking, that in itself leads me to believe it's false and just want to try and give Buds a bad rep...will people have problems yes, and the folks that work there will correct it.

• Mr
    MRJR Mar 10, 2012

In F/U to my Feb 24th ranting - ref. my order to Buds for Sig SP2022 40. Ordered on Feb 17th - Received March 2nd. No returned email questions - Phone calls ignored and/or person on other end yawned a lot. Field stripped pistol at FFL and being satisfied and cleaned somewhat, signed the papers and went out to their range to test fire. No FTF - FTE etc - Nice Weapon . Now for all this aggravation, I saved $13, which in my humble opinion, is not worth the price of admission to Buds. I have always supported my local FFL dealers (ammo excluded) until this one time - but never again.

• Mr
    MRJR Mar 10, 2012

In follow-up to my Feb 24th ranting reference Buds Sig Sp 2022 40 cal purchase - Ordered 17th Feb received March 2. E-Check - no prob with funds etc. Delays with no response on attempted contact. Gun was not as depicted on web site but they do make that disclaimer ( Mine totally made in US as opposed to some with receivers made in Germany.) - so fine. Field striped at FFL and being satisfied signed off and went out to the range to test it out. No FTF, FTE - very nice weapon. But through all this I saved $13 which is not worth the price of admission to Buds in my humble opinion. Support of your local FFL is more important. This is the first time I have not supported them - won't happen again.

ky_Dave Mar 10, 2012

Well, after speaking with the sales person at Buds Gun Shop, yesterday, (3/9/12); for some STRANGE reason, My order was sent to my FFL, that very day, in which I picked up yesterday afternoon. I sincerely hope my conversation with the person at Buds might have had an impact, and they will do better in terms of service. I have no doubt that they actually were falling behind in processing orders but just maybe they can make improvements, in order to avoid complaints.

joewhiskers Mar 09, 2012

I have dealt with Bud's on a number of occassions and cannot be more pleased. The FFL's that I have used have never had a problem with them. I am a retired funeral director and before retirement, ran a funeral home that served over 700 clients a year. In this business, that is immense. As Bud's said in one of their replies, they have a 99% satisfaction rate. That is a great number. Believe it or not, the largest funeral corporation in the world strives for 70%! Yes, I worked for them as a manager for 4 years, so I know what I am talking about. I found that when dealing with people, some folks are just chronic [censor]ers. No matter what you do or say, they are never happy. In my funeral home, my client satisfaction rate was over 99% which is why I succeeded. It took me awhile to figure out that nothing is perfect. As Bud's did, I just put it behind me and move on. I am very happy for their success and will continue to buy from them. Their communication is wonderful and they answer emails in a surprisingly fast manner. So for those of you that are unhappy, go somewhere else! I wouldn't want to deal with you anyway. And get over it!!

ky_Dave Mar 09, 2012

Thank you, "Don't want deleted". I called Buds Gun Shop @ [protected] this morning. Got nothing out of the person I spoke to though. I told this person that I'd give them until this comming Wednesday (March 14th) to ship my rifle to my FFL dealer or I want a FULL refund. BTW their website is still down. I am seriously thinking of calling Ruger Arms to find another dealer I can purchase the rifle I want.

• Do
    Don't want deleted Mar 09, 2012

In all honesty, I'm sure it would be quicker to cancel your order and get a refund than it would to get your gun. They're waiving the restocking fee if you read in that email they sent to "everyone". By everyone, I mean everyone who submitted a customer support ticket. I'm sure there's guys out there who have no idea what the heck is going on.

I sympathize with you, ky_Dave. Keep this board updated with your order status. -I think it helps KY Law Firm.

ky_Dave Mar 09, 2012

I noticed Buds Gun Shop has taken down their website, as of this morning (3/9/2012). I tried to log-on to check the status of my order, which has been in "shipping status" for four days now.

ky_Dave Mar 08, 2012

"Don't want deleted" Glad to here you found another online dealer, and was able to cancel your order with Buds Gun Shop. Unfortunately, I sent them a check which they cashed as soon as they received it. So I guess I am stuck with waiting for my order to be shipped to my FFL dealer. Buds Gun Shop is not a very well run store, and maybe they should have their FFL Licenses revoked to protect customers form their unethical business practices. <Sorry>

• Do
    Don't want deleted Mar 08, 2012

The numbers are also randomized each time you create a new session. This is so Joe Schmo doesn't know any better.