British Airwaysrefuses to honor return ticket

I had purchased a round trip ticket for to and from Lusaka, Zambia between Chicago, US. I used to portion for Lusaka to Chicago in February 2017 and was due to return to Lusaka in June, 2017. However, before June my hypertension worsen and I received medical attention thru September, 2017. Before June, we called British Airways to reschedule the return date and explain the situation. Because at that time, I could not provide a certain return date, I was told to call back when I knew when I would be able to travel.

When I called BA two weeks, I was tossed from rep to rep and asked to to call after 72 hrs, then 48 hrs another 48 hrs then 24 hrs. In all I made 9 calls in which I had to explain from the beginning each time. I was told to wait for the rates dept to review the case then was asked to provide personal medical records then finally was informed by a uncourteous supervisor number 2A in Jacksonville FL that the ticket was invalid. my ref was 43BCJV.

I would like to know how I can seek redress.

• Ka
    kalender Oct 10, 2012

you were lucky to get the sandwich and drink- we got nothing between 4 of us with a same delay-no information no food just told us to come back next day only for the flight to be delayed 8 hours more. i have no even got a reply from BA. i know what they would do if we were 10 Min's late!!! but i will not let this go and will keep following it up.

• Tw
    tweety340 Jul 13, 2012

I can't believe they treated her so disrespectfully, it's outrageous. I am sorry to hear she had to go through such a horrible experience during her flight. I would hope that when she goes back home they won't give her such a hard time again.

• Ga
    Gan CL Jul 13, 2012

Good morning,

I'm writing on behalf of my mother, Gan Chooi Lian, who flew to New York recently via a booking I had made for her. As my mother had undergone surgery to her spine as well as her ankle (she has titanium rods and screws embedded in her body), I had a 'wheelchair' request for her when I made the booking. She is 73, weighs around 105 pounds and unable to walk long distances due to this condition.

She started her trip on July 2, 2017, taking flight MH 2 from Kuala Lumpur to London. For the entire Malaysian sector, her trip was uneventful; our wheelchair request was seen to.

Her nightmare began when she arrived at Heathrow. She informed the ground staff that her daughter had requested a wheelchair for her and she told me, they just brushed her off. Obviously, a frail old lady from Malaysia was not worth bothering with. My mother trekked all over the airport trying to get to her departure gate; asking for directions all the way - getting right and wrong ones; hence the trekking. It took her close to the entire duration of her transit (close to 3 hours) to finally reach her departure gate.

When she arrived at New York, there was a wheelchair waiting for her but then another problem - British Airways had lost one piece of her luggage. It was later located and sent to us the following evening.

This was the last straw for her. My mother was bent over and limping when she arrived, and started to cry when she saw me. She had gone through a terrible time. I had begged her to visit me and after much persuasion, she had agreed. I regret it with all my heart; thinking of what she had gone through. She flew Cathay Pacific when she visited me last year and had no problems whatsoever. This time around, she developed a fever which lasted for 3 days after she arrived, due to the overwhelming stress to her body.

I am beyond appalled at this treatment of a human being and a senior at that. When I paid for her ticket, I made a specific request for a wheelchair. If a wheelchair was not available, they should have informed me at the time of purchase, or that it was subject to availability, although I know this to be false. Wheelchairs are ALWAYS available for the infirmed or elderly. In all the airports we've travelled to, they are all over. It has never been an issue, which is why this is even more appalling that it happened, and in an airport like Heathrow.

My mother will be traveling home in September and I dread, as does she, what will happen to her in London Heathrow. I had written to complain about what had transpired but till today British Airways has not bothered with a response. I had been told by friends, relatives and have also read blogs and discussion sites, that British Airways has a terrible reputation, with absolutely no customer service. They don't bother because they thing they are too good. They are the oppposite.

All I want is to ensure that my mother has wheelchair assistance for her entire journey home in September. Needless to say, no one in our family will ever fly BA again. I have also taken the opportunity to share my mother's experience with all our relatives, friends and acquaintances, social media etc to ensure everyone knows how BA treats seniors and how they respond to complaints.

I wanted to log my complaint down anywhere I can in the hopes that something will be done and other passengers will not have to suffer the way my mother did.

Sincerely,
    Ambika Muscarello

• Br
    bruce swartz May 16, 2012

This is what I was told when I attempted to have BA honor their promise that when I joined the Ex. Club my miles for my upcoming Business class trip would be credited to my account.
    When I discovered that they did not apply my miles they responded that I just went over the time period to contact them about their mistake. After about an hour on the phone and emails back and forth over a months time I finally said that I could not stay a customer with an airline that treats their (at least this one) customers so dishonestly. Their reply from Supervisor Mr. Melody ID#101721 was "you win some and you lose some." I could not believe he actually said that to me so he repeated it several times more.
    I did email CEO Keith Williams at "[email protected]". For some reason I am not expecting a reply from him.
    Have you received this kind of disrespect from your conversations with them?
    Edit/Delete Message

MaryD Dec 01, 2011

Travelling back from Moscow to London recently, my daughter and I were left waiting in the airport terminal for 28 hours for the flight, due to ‘technical problems’ with the aircraft.
    British Airways kindly provided my daughter and me one with sandwich between us during the long wait, but not even a cup of coffee or soft drink to wash it down with!
    I contacted BA to complain and was informed that the company had provided us with all the assistance it had to provide, under the regulations.
    It was not my fault that the BA aircraft was not able to leave on time. To keep us waiting in an uncomfortable and rather unpleasant airport terminal for such a length of time is inexcusable.
    My complaint to BA has been met with the usual ‘”bluster” and no offer of compensation! I will be flying with another airline where I possibly can in the future.
    I want British Airways to look into this matter and award me compensation for our ordeal.

christos32 Oct 16, 2011

generally if you have booked through an agent the airline will generally tell you to talk to the agent as it is the agents booking not the airlines. But the charge does come from the airline which is a service fee, I am actually surprised to hear that British Airways actually allowed a name change...cause they usually don't :)

• Ty
    Typiole Sep 16, 2011

British Airways, along with Chase Credit Card Company has misled the American Public with false advertising for their credit card. Here is the evidence:

1. www.chase.com/britishairways is the URL for the credit card that British Airways is advertising.

2. A few months ago, their advertisement stated that if you subscribe to the card (which costs $95 a year); and spend a $ 5000 in 2 months – you would be entitled to a free ticket worth 25, 000 miles.

3. I subscribed to the card and spent the required amount of money. I received an email from Chase informing me that I am now entitled to this ticket.

4. My girlfriend did the same thing and subscribed to her own card.

5. When we went to procure the “free” ticket, we were horrified to find out that BA had added $ 528.84 for taxes and ‘fees’.

6. An economy class ticket on BA to London from Washington Dulles travelling in November 2017, was being quoted at approx. $ 720 on various websites including their British Airways. Those included all fees and taxes.

7. This then meant that the “free” ticket’s value for getting their card, was actually less than $ 200 and after you deduct the cost of the card at $ 95 – the actual value of their ‘free’ ticket was $ 105.

8. In order to then ‘select’ a seat, which is normally standard for all airlines at no additional cost (including BA on their site) – because this was a ‘free’ ticket I had to pay an additional $ 60 for the seat!
    9. So, the net savings for the “free” ticket that BA was advertising ended up at a whopping $ 45!!

If there was ever a false advertising and an intentional misleading of the public – this is a great example. This is a rip off and they need to be stopped.

• Rh
    Rhyn Jul 09, 2011

So the merry go round continues, Flight Centre customer excellence have been in touch, which is good, but here's the bit that's not. The Airline involved was British Airways a huge multinational company with strong and clear policies and yet when it comes to charges for name changes, who makes them, how much they are, where they go, was it done at all with all the policies and technology it appears customers money is of no interest, they say contact Flight Centre, Flight Centre say British Airways made the charge, I say what the hell is going on??? Does people's hard earned money count for nothing? . My parents were charged £350 someone must know WHO MADE THE CHARGE BA OR FLIGHT CENTRE, WHERE IS THE EVIDENCE OF THE COSTS INVOLVED? I'D LIKE AN ITEMISED BILL OF HOW ADDING MRS. AND ROCHE IN EQUALS £350 in anyone's time...has anyone else had problems like this because I'd be interested to know come join me on my facebook page I was charged for a name change and let's see what's really going in this seemingly high unregulated area, trading standards have been informed and I will be persuing this.

• Lo
    Longdistance Traveller May 29, 2011

1. British Airways are unfit to be operating an airline and the staff give out false information to deceive and deter paid customers. BA is too lazy to determine the length of delays when they SHOULD know exactly how many flights are into and out of any airport they are due to arrive at.
    BA are shockingly inept in handling airport delays and tried to push the responsibility back to the booking agent.
    www. webjet.com.au are equally inept at handling bookings as they refused to take any responsibility for the paid for flights and refused to offer any sort or rescheduling nor compensation. We only learned on the day that the flight was due to stopover in Singapore. Webjet does not include that on the tickets. Nor does webjet.com.au include the expected arrival terminal on the ticket. Other agents do that. There were anticipated strikes on some of the transport between terminals at Heathrow on the way back - we needed to know which terminals were effected.
    www.webjet.com.au is incompetent at doing a satisfactory job and does NOT handle the details required to arrange airline travel.

2. We had booked and paid 6 months in advance - due to depart Sydney 25th May 3.30pm for 17000km flight to Heathrow then onto Berlin, Germany. Departure from Tegal was scheduled on 28th May 8.05pm.
    We phoned BA at 10am to determine situation with flights due to Icelandic volcanic eruption. Female advised that if we did cancel we would receive the taxes back which was approx $1900.00

3.BA is so unprofessional in that they could not determine what the backlog of flights and passengers would be into and out-of Heathrow airport. Earlier news reports stated Hamburg airport was closed - being approx. 200km north of Tegel we expected that would be subject to closures too.
    Our concern was that we only had a 3 day trip so we did NOT want to be extensively delayed at Heathrow.

With all the technology available today, airlines can determine exactly what happened in every minute prior to the descent of Flight 447 from Brazil yet they cannot do the maths on the likely NUMBERS of flights and passengers to be effected at one airport. Having seen on television how some were delayed up to a week in the earlier volanic eruption, surely the controllers did some 'post-mortem' analysis, evaluations and deducements.

4.We phone BA again after noon to be told that that there would be delays but they could not say if there were closures at Heathrow or Tegel which would effect us. The women told us we would have to go to the booking agent for a refund - " they were the only ones who could put the refund application in progress". We then were held up for over half an hour with www.webjet.com.au who refused to do anything but tell us to go to BA as 'they had the money'.
    News on the internet stated that Tegel airport had been closed due to the ash. That clearly showed there would be a backlog of passengers which could mean extended time at Heathrow airport. After a 17000km flight, my mother at 79yrs did not wish to be delayed extensively at any airport. We cancelled our flight with BA stating that " we would be refunded the taxes and had to go to the booking agent who would set the refund application in progress to BA"
    We emailed the booking agent www.webjet.com.au who replied with a curt and customer 'unfriendly' reply that we would have to contact BA for refund as " they had the money."
    Neither BA nor www.webjet.com.au offered to reschedule us e.g. to a later date in September when we could have taken the journey. So far BA have not given any response to our emailed request.

Within minutes of us cancelling our flight the volcano stopped erupting. If we can have that effect on a volcano then we certainly WILL HAVE a DELETERIOUS EFFECT on BA and www.webjet.com.au for INCOMPETENT handling of bookings. Airline Ref 809JLD
    Seeing all the complaints about both companies they both have alot to answer for.

• Pa
    Patrick Buechel May 06, 2011

During the December 2017 big freeze, BA asked us to cancel our flight to the US in order not to add to the chaos. We canceled and re-booked with another airline. For technical reasons, our cancellation had not gone through. Requests to BA customer relations and complaint have not shown any useful results for now 4 months. Please read our entire story at troublewithba.com

pmmmo Mar 11, 2011

Great info, I quality and will call out this regulation in my next letter to BA.

pmmmo Mar 11, 2011

no trip insurance. The cancellation was due to Heathrow airport not being able to clean up 1 inch of snow for 4 days! Despite the reason, when they promised a refund and it has been close to 3 months, I am pissed

pmmmo Mar 11, 2011

Great idea. I didn't think about the card issuer. Thanks for your support.

pmmmo Mar 11, 2011

My family and I were supposed to spend Christmas in France – our first visit in 3 years. My daughters were excited to see their grandparents and cousins.
    Our flight was scheduled to leave on Saturday December 18th and around noon that day we received an email saying that the flight had been cancelled and to “check with our booking agent.” I immediately called BA to re-book and after waiting on hold for two and half hours, I was finally able to rebook for the first available date on Tuesday December 21st. We went to the airport on the 21st and after waiting at the BA counter for an hour and a half we were told that our flight from London to Lyon had been cancelled and that we could not get on the flight to London unless it was our final destination. When we asked the agent when BA could get us to Lyon as scheduled she said that it would not be until December 27th – almost 10 days after our scheduled arrival for a two week vacation.

The British Airways agent at the counter assured us that we would receive a full refund for our tickets and instructed us to send a letter to British Airways with our ticket invoice

Due to the fact that BA was not answering the phones on 12/21 (literary, you got a message saying that they could not get to your call now and then it hung up on you!!), there was no way to get complete information without going to the airport. The BA agent told us that under the circumstances BA would reimburse our taxi to and from the airport.
    I wrote a letter (certified mail) on December 26th that British Airways received on Jan 4th. I HAVE NOT HEARD FROM THEM SINCE (we are end of march now).

when I call I am either told that they have no idea of my request (lost my file) or that they don't know when the refund will be!

Since December, I sent them3 letters, 4 faxes, called 4 times and emailed them 7 times. What the hell am I supposed to do? They owe me $4000 and I need to rebook for August but while I am waiting for their non existent customer service to refund me, the ticket prices are going up and I can't rebook.

So not only did they ruin Christmas for my family but now they are costing me interests (credit card) and increasing airfare price as I am waiting.

NO customer service at British Airways and plain lying regarding refunds policies.

Never fly BA again.

• St
    strike Jan 01, 2011

hello everyone !
    will share a short story about lazy brudal ba british airways service
    my flight got delyed yet there was no appologies to any of us, no info on connectiing flight either got a wonderful ignorance, punch of snobishness spiced up w charming engl accent instead as " hey! enjoying your money but surly not you" "you are to small we are blue blood ruling the world " i dont think so hope u do too
    i miss my connecting flight that day then went throught a brudal cruel humaliation .. feelling a shame for usa as we are allowing them to take a great advantage of us by not doing anything about it - let kick their butts instead
    those people are really taking themself way to seriusly yet would not take the same attitude towards passenger needs they even made a new add via entire heatrow "we wont take an abuse" ironic isnt? who is abusing who here? i read many complains about their terrbile service why dont WE say enought is enought for a change ?!!! we are the passengers! wont take ba abuse any more we are stopping to spend our buck on ur tickets ! from 2017 me and bunch of my friends are stopping to fly via ba
    hope people that toke a brudal slap will do the same - STRIKE TO BA !!!
    life is is not easy dont need brits to make it worse in fact we dont need them at all just ...
    happy new year ba, fly out yourself instead !

Jet Jay Dec 01, 2010

Hi there, had just typed in response to ur comment but im not sure that it was submitted correctly, so I shall try again. I do apologise if you have received two responses of the same nature. I am in no way dissmisive of your opinions, on the contray, I fully respect your opinions and it is your right to let them be heard. That said, I'm not inclined to agree with them. I am awre that many people will share your opinion but am also just as aware that many others will not. That's just the way it is. Therefore im not affected by your comments as either way, people have the right to there opinions. Starting on the subject of my fiancee, she will not have to learn to live without me and yes, if I can't gain entry to the States, she is more than happy to reurn to and reside in the U.K with me. It's what is known as unshakable love. Just to let u know where im at... My fiancee is reurning to the U.K in just over two weeks, marriage via in hand. We marry here in U.K in January. I am as we speak in the process of having my previous conviction waivered by a court of law to enable me to apply for a spousal visa after the wedding. You may be horrified that my case is going really well and the waiver will soon be declared. Once I have the visa it will be with a view to returning to States with my then wife and spending the rest of our lives happily together. If in any eventuality I am still refused entry to the States, which i'm well legally advised that this is higly unlikely with all the relevant documents in place, then as you so observantly pointed out in your comments, we will as I mentioned before residing together in the U.K.. Amen. Way I see it, it's a win win situation, I can't lose. I marry the woman I love, and we settle into our new lives together and live blissfully ever after, no matter where that maybe. Well, once again my opiniatd friend, I thank you for your comments and bid u farewell.
    P.S your more than welcome to attend our wedding if you can make it...lol, sure we would make for great conversation. Many regards, Jason.

Jet Jay Nov 30, 2010

Hey...harsh, but point taken. I would like me to ask you, did u ever do anything in your life that u regret?? Maybe something that would affect your life forever but didn't realise the consiquences at the time...If the answer is no..i truly pray that these things are never put upon you. Bare in mind dear respondent of complaint, that that my fiancee is an american citizen. So your comments are not only hurtful and misguided toward me...but to a fellow citizen of your country who needs me to be with her right now. God bless America, just not the fools that judge without the authority to do so.

Jet Jay Nov 29, 2010

I was to travel to U.S with my fiancee (an American citizen) to further plan our future. On arriving at Newcastle airport we were advised that I could not travel to the U.S without some form of visa. Yes very nieve of us to have not checked on this status before our departure. We were then advised by a desk assistant with BA that we could quickly apply for an ESTA visa. We jumped at the chance, having only minutes before we were due to fly. The advisor told us that we could not complete the forms ourselves as the online pay per use systems in the airport were down. He told us that he should not be doing what he was about to do, but in our case he would fill out the form for us and for an additional fee of £10, in cash (which he called administration fee) he would provide me and my fiancee with a printout of the visa. That he did. Now I do have a criminal conviction for drugs which was served in prison here in the U.K over 15 years ago. The BA advisor never asked me this question, I never thought that would be an issue as it was never asked. Had that have been asked...I surely would have answered in all honesty. Result of his incompetancy resulted in me arriving in the States, with my fiancee only to be torn from eachother and for me to be thrown into a federal jail in Atlanta before deportation. I feel that this could really have been stopped at the gates of Newcastle if we had not been so poorly advised...all for the sake of £10. Me and my fiancee are now truly in tatters, and feel wholly that this individual deserves to be repremanded.

• Ga
    Gabe11 Nov 05, 2010

I saw in the Chicago Sun Times that a law firm is investigating legal action and compensation for U.S. travellers who have flights cancelled or delayed while travelling in Europe. The number in the notice is [protected].

• Ka
    Katherine Anne Oct 19, 2010

Last December I was caught up in the snow delays and cancellations in London. My Easyjet flight to Zurich was cancelled so I booked a flight with BA for the next day. When I arrived at Heathrow the board said that flight too was cancelled. BA staff told me it was due to "weather" and to queue up to get in the queue for rebooking. Eventually a roving staff member booked me with Swiss Air the next day but said I had to pay for my own accomm etc since the problem was weather related. I spoke to my daughter at London City Airport to find that her flight to the same destination as mine was fine and my nephew in Zurich rang to say the weather was fine there. As I, very upset, walked out to find accomm I looked at the board again and my flight was there - departing on time. Stunned I spoke to another BA staff who phoned someone only to be told that the flight was full and my seat had been given away - within 5 minutes of me being rebooked. I admit, I lost the plot and demanded my seat back - upon threat of calling the media. Another staff member said they "would try" - to which I replied that if they didn't I was heading for the nearest phone. Within minutes I had my seat back and was shuffled through the gates (away from phones I guess). I was already angry but this doubled when the captain on the flight apologised for the delay as it was due to "technical trouble". In other words BA lied through their teeth to save money! How many other ppl from my flight had to pay for accomm etc, missed connections and so on, just because BA has no respect for its customers and only cares for saving themselves money. I will never use or recomment BA to anyone.

• Jb
    jbkcon Sep 03, 2010

It used to be you knew what you were getting when you purchased a ticket. Not any more I have paid for that seat and the seat beside me for my wife. Now they are tring to sell the seat that i have bought to someone else who has more money than sense. I do not care if all the airlines go bankrupt !!! Let only two or three airlines exist just be fair and courtious to the people who buy your product. I am in construction and i could not do business the way you are choosing to do. All the hidden fees and taxes its ridiculous. British Airlines if you think the public cannopt see through your stupid excuse for this charge you are ignorant . What ever happen to choosing the seats at the time of purchase. that worked for years first come first serve. Dont say its what people want you make us all look stupid. If you have bought a ticket on BA like I and my Wife have do not fall for this trap to get $240.00 dollars more yes thats right $240.00 more for choosing your seats in advance for two people / 2 legs both ways. Yeah thats what I want.

• Cr
    CR1 Jul 22, 2010

Today (22 Jul 10), my wife, who is 5 months pregnant, and I traveled on flight BA910 from Heathrow Airport, London England, to Frankfurt Airport, Frankfurt Germany. We live in Germany and were visiting the U.K. The flight was heavily delayed, with all passengers waiting on the plane for nearly four hours until take off! The flight was originally scheduled to arrive at 18:15, instead arriving at approximately 22:00. Upon our arrival and passage through immigration, we proceeded to the baggage claim, only finding TWO (2) of our THREE (3) checked bags. Not being able to wait any longer for the third bag to show and fearing that we might miss the last train to destination, we walked to British Airways (BA) Customer Service in the baggage claim. We asked the rep what BA could do for us if we missed the last train to Mannheim due to the delay. She informed us in a completely unsympathetic manner that BA's obligation to us was fulfilled and that BA would do nothing for us. She explained that the contract we had with BA was only to provide us transportation from London to Frankfurt, once that was completed BA had no further responsibility. When we explained that the contract was to get us to Frankfurt by 18:15, 22 Jul 10, not 22:00, 22 Jul 10, she simply shrugged. We left the BA Customer Service desk and made our way directly to the trains, barely catching the train. We eventually got in at well passed midnight. Completely unacceptable!

Champion Oct 29, 2009

My daughter is invited to her new boyfriends home in Toronto. We got her dates and went on line to book her tickets. She is in Edinburgh at Uni so I was on mobille while she booked tickets using my credit card. We understand that credit card is the best way to book tickets.

This is the first time we have done this. She entered all details then at the end realised the ticket was in my name not hers. While still on line and me on my moblile I rang B.A from my land line. Although we where still in the process of booking, B.A.changed the ticket details and charged me £30. I asked if I could cancell and start again but that was not possible according to them.

I contacted my credit card company for advice and they thought that this charge of £30 was very harsh considering that I was still in the process of booking when we realised what had happened. I too feel very strongly about this as the money means a great deal not only to my daughter but also to myself as my husband has just been made redundant and we are expected to live on £60.50 a week.

Jack Siler Sep 13, 2009

Scandalous, misleading British Airways date change policy! I've flown Transatlantic around 150 times. It's for business and my return date is rarely certain so I almost always pay a penalty for the return date change. I was advised that the BA charge was 120 Euros which is higher than most, but I was prepared to live with it, because the ticket was reasonable. Before the return (9/2/09) date I asked for the change and was advised that there were NO TICKETS AVAILABLE IN THAT CATEGORY DURING THE ENTIRE MONTH OF SEPTEMBER!! The cost to change the date would be $470!!

It may be in their fine print, but it is so unrelated to what any other airline charges that it makes the RT fare higher than any airline I looked at. It's a scam. WATCH OUT!! They'll never see me again.

• Who sold you this connection. I doubt sincerely that BA would even sell this tight a connection, but even if you did buy these tickets from BA, if the flight was delayed (this happens to all airlines not just BA) then the airline must rebook the passneger on the next available flight. Unfortunately your mum was flying to Sofia, so not exactly a destiantion with frequent flights, having two a day is already quite a surprise. I think BA performed well here. Of course, they did not delay the other flight to wait for your mum, and even if they had, her luggage would not have made it. Slots are too restricted at airports, and flights need to be closed on time or they lose their slot. As to dragging your pensionner parents, sorry, but you chose for her to travel. You could have travelled to her too you know. Sorry, but BA did what was required here. Delays happen, it is unfortunate, and I am sure they apologised for it, but this happens and usually not due to their fault.

cheryl hill Jul 18, 2009

I'm writing on behalf of my friend, Magriet van Dijk, who booked and paid for a flight from heathrow to Cape Town. BA59 12.6.09 @ 19h25. She handed in her luggage but needed the cloakrooms urgently. By the time she got back and went through seurity, they told her she was no longer on that flight and that her luggage had been removed. It cost her a further R3850 for another ticket. I understand there might be penalties etc for her coming late, but surely she is entitled to some sort of refund seeing that her ticket was probably sold to someone else? She flies Cape Town/Heathrow return several times a year, she does care work in the UK, so needless to say she won't be making use of their services again!

John V White Jul 14, 2009

My son and daughter were recently booked on a flight from London Heathrow to Jeddah on the 20 June. The flight was delayed and they were given boarding crads that clearly stated the new gate closing time was 2130hrs. When they arrived at the gate at 2120Hrs they were told that the gate was closed and their bags were being unloaded and they could not board, consequently missiong the flight.

I subsequently wrote to BA regarding this matter as I had personally purchased the tickets in Saudi Arabia for my son and daughter and they were booked in under my BA Frequent Flyer Family membership number.

The reply I received from BA Customer Relations was, to quote:

"I'm afraid as per the Data Protection Act 1998, we cannot discuss passenger's issue with any third party - this includes family members/friends"

This appears to be a case totally avoiding the issue and hiding behind some sort of legislation more aligned to politics than a commercial business.

Hardly surprising less people are now flying BA if this is the level of Customer service that is now provided by BA

• Sh
    Sheeyah Jul 06, 2009

You can't just change names because of security measures. You might be able to request they refund the original ticket amount since you've been a loyal customer, though. It's worth a shot.

• Al
    alastair Jul 06, 2009

I refer to the above booking which was made from my office on Thursday 2nd. July.

I did not pick up the e-mail until Sunday 5th. July, immediately on doing so I telephone your customer services to inform them that a mistake was made in booking I have two sons Joshua and Benjamin, the the ticket was inadvertently booked in the name of Benjamin instead of Joshua.

I was told somewhat robustly that rules did not allow any changes whatsoever and the only alternative was to cancel the ticket and rebook and this would mean that I would be fined the total cost of the ticket.

When I requested that I be pointed out the rules that precluded amending a genuine mistake I was advised there was none. As a long standing BA customer of some 55 years (my first flight as a boy flying into Northolt) and as an executive club member [protected] I cannot understand for the life of me especially in this time of trouble why I am being treated like this.

Please can I at least have some action before you descend into the depth of Easy Jet and Ryanair.

Alastair Macleod
    Chairman
    Hand & Lock

www.handembroidery.com

• To
    Tony Jun 29, 2009

A week ago I had a flight from Washington to Delphi with a connection in London. It was quite an experience. First, we departed Washington two hours late because the plane was not ready to leave on time. Because of the delay I missed my second flight to Delphi and had to spend all night in the London-Heathrow Airport. British Airways told us that there are no hotel rooms available and all they gave us were blankets, watter, and food stamps.

Second, on my arrival I discovered that my luggage is missing. It's been a week and I am still calling British Airways asking for the whereabouts of my bag.

• Li
    Lidia Apr 14, 2009

I just want to express my sincere dissapointment with British Airways. Yesterday (13.04.2017) my mother ( age 69 with a heart condition) had to arrive in London from SA at 7.20 and take the connecting flyght to Sofia at 8.30. But unfortunately for her the flyght from SA left with 40 min delay and when she arrived in London she was told to wait in the aeroplane (we don't know why).My mother taught that there will be someone taking her quickly to the next flyght but that was not the case. The connecting flyght has left and she had to choose between 2 options -to fly to Frankfort and then Sofia or to stay 9 hours at the airport. Now my questions are : Why do we pay so much money for the most convenient flyghts when our pensioner parents have to be draged from one country to another not knowing what is happening and not speaking the languages? If something had happened to my mother who would be hold responsible? Why the connecting flyght did not wait for her? It was not a delay of a few hours. If that type of connection is not possible why is it offered?

I would like to receive an answer on all those questions and I am sure that there are other people with similar problems.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

Lidia

• Sh
    Shame on British Airways Apr 01, 2009

On July 11th, 2017 my son was refused boarding at Newark, NJ because the Check in counter agent had not seen a Green Card which was legally and lawfully extended for 3 more months past the original expiration date. No action was taken even on repeated requests to check the validity of the Green Card with the local INS authorities. I am just requesting a refund of the fare. The agent refused to even provide documents to show that extended GC's were not allowed.

Given below are the various case numbers generated when I have communicated with British Airways. Initially, they responded by asking aditional documentations etc. I provided every single document requested. This was followed by complete silence. No matter how many emails I have sent they have refused to respond.

Case Reference Numbers

6792391/July 16th
    6816388/July 28th
    6857367/August 14th
    7009826/October 22nd
    7065495/Nov 20th

Just fed up of the way British Airways treats its customers and an Executive club member at that.

• Di
    dizzy dayz Dec 22, 2008

I am so sorry that you were done such an injustice!

• Mi
    Miss H Dec 22, 2008

Last year, I received a call from MANCHESTER, England to say that my brother had just died. I was devastated! A few days later I pulled my self together to try to book a flight to the UK, so that I could attend my brothers funeral. I found a cheap flight on BA's website, and tried to book it online. There was some kind of glitch in their system, and so I called the 800 number to see if I could book the flight on the phone.
    I had my credit card ready, and the person I spoke to was very nice, and offered me his condolences and assured me he would help me, book the ticket and get on the flight... but when he entered my information in the system, he typed in the wrong code, and later when I contacted him to see if there was a possibility of flying a day earlier, the guy said the fare had increased by $3, 000. I spoke to 7 different supervisors...over a 3 day period, spent over 8 hours on the phone. As I did n't have an extra $3, 000, and they refused to honor the promise made by the booking agent/supervisor who told me that the booking I had made that first day I called would be honored by them because it was their fault. They did not honor their promise, and I ended up missing my Brothers funeral. I was out of my mind with grief over his death and on top of that British Airways, who could have got me on that flight as there were several empty seats, but the bloody minded robots turned their backs on me and made me miss the funeral...and when I filed a complaint at the Jackson Heights customer service dept...they took 15 months to deal with my complaint. Then, they insulted me by offering a $200 discount on my NEXT Flight with BA.
    I wrote to the HQ in England and received a banal response, saying how sorry they were.
    These people know nothing of Integrity, Compassion, and Human decency...and I will never fly with them again

• Mi
    Michael Dec 18, 2008

It is pure and simple, BA or BRUTISH Airways as they are commonly known have a history of racial discrimination against both their staff and customers.

In just the last year they have caused outrage in Nigeria and a boycott of their planes following the disgraceful treatment of one of their paying passengers. He and a number of the other Nigerian passengers were hauled off the flight after they dared protest over the rough handling of a deportee. They actually thought the man was goinf to be killed in front of their very eyes.

As for their own staff, this year a BA Pilot said the racially abusive comments from pilots was so common that it was an institutionalised behaviour. Check it out at;

The trick is to stop flying with them, they are already in serious financial difficulty. Though their imperialistic attitude won;t allow them to accept the time for BA's demise is just round the corner. You would think in these desperate times they would treat all their passengers with dignity and respect. Sadly not BRUTISH Airways!

• De
    Debby Chan Dec 01, 2008

On date 31st Oct 08, I and my mum were boarding a British Airways flight BA209 to Miami; a BA staff (who was about 6 foot tall) bullied and discriminated us. At first he approached my mum and intended to check her passport but my mum does not speaks fluent English; then the BA staff spoke to my mum in harsh high tones, the BA staff said “How come you does not speaks English?”. I tempted to interpret for my mum but the BA staff suddenly seized our passports and ordered us to move aside from the boarding queue.

After about 5 minutes standing aside at the boarding gate (Gate B38) the BA staff came back and questioned us in rude manner, the BA staff said “Where do you two live? What is your name? How come your mum is holding a British passport but she doesn’t speaks English?” then I told him where I live, my name and explained to him my mum does not speaks English. The BA staff handed back our passports to us then I asked for the BA staff’s name but he declined to disclose his name to us. Before me and my mum boarding the flight the BA staff told me off at our back, he said “[censored]”.

Me and my mum felt very offended and discriminated by the way he’d spoken to us in front of so many people at the boarding gate, it was not appropriate for the BA staff to bullied us and urged us to move aside from the boarding queue and stood there for 5 minutes; also the BA staff discriminated us by calling us ‘[censored]’.

The second case was happened on the 12th Nov 08, I and my mum were checking in at the Manchester Airport Terminal 3 (number 61 fast track check in desk) and I requested the BA ground staff to do luggage transfer onto my next flight (from Heathrow to Hong Kong) but she told me off and she said BA does not provide such service and I have to sort out my own problems before I check in. It was unbelievable that BA does not provide luggage transfer service, so I asked the BA ground staff to explain to me why they cannot provide me the service; then she just told me off and throw back me and my mum’s passports to us without checking us in.

I have filed a complain with the British Airways customer service team but they replied me by email with their apology only and the team claimed that they will not take any further action with the BA staff who discriminated us at the boarding gate. I am very disappointed with the customer service team neglecting my complaints as me and my family are frequently flying with British Airways.

JakeT57 Sep 18, 2008

You cannot really blame BA for inadequacies of a coach driver. I am absolutely mystified why you would take this up with an MEP. This particular MEP should be fired if he agreed with your nonsensical rant. Do you think Ryanair would have arranged road transportation? No chance. You would have been on your own. Next time, maybe BA should do this for you, and let all other passengers reach their destination.

JakeT57 Sep 18, 2008

It really is incredibly foolish to put a laptop and other electrical equipment in your suitcase. No, sorry, it is beyond foolish. It is incomprehensible. Borderline insane. Any items of particular value should never be checked-in on any airline from any airport. If you cannot carry them yourself, then Fedex them so at least you have insurance. This is an expensive lesson, unfortunately.

• If
    iffat Aug 18, 2008

Sir/Madam,
    I travelled with B.A from USA and upon my return to USA they delayed one bag and lost the other piece of luggage. I was travelling alone with an infant and a 6 year old girl. I had my baby's food, diapers, change of clothes and my jewellery and cash that I brought on board. I also had a stroller that I had to carry while climbing the plane stairs as terminal 5 at heathrow doesnot have a joined terrace through which I could have walked to the plane. My other girl was carrying her stuff that she could hold easily.
    My lost baggage had two suits, a lap top, home security system, intercom, books, one pair of shoe, purses and a phone. I had bought a box and wrapped my electrical equipment nicely in my suits with books on top. I knew B.A. will not take responsibility for damaged items.
    Now, its over 45 days and there is no clue of the box and their luggage director, JUDY Perry is one unreasonable fellow. She said she cannot reimburse me for the laptop, home security system, intercom as I should have brought in on board. I coulsd not carry my infant in one hand and lap top and the other things in the other. The total comes out to be about 1620$ and Judy says she will pay me only 238$.

Jeremy Stevens Jun 18, 2008

Did you have travel insurance? If you had one phone call would have taken care of everything. Airport transfers at both ends, special assistance within airports and a free flight to get you home and in a class of cabin that would have allowed you comfort.