BodyLogic MD CincinnatiVery bad choice of doctor

Dr. Julie Kissel is a good doctor. She is very knowledgeable and willingly shares her knowledge with her patients, with every good intention to help them balance their hormones. I just wish she had not chosen to affiliate herself with a practice (BodyLogic MD) that is clearly a scam. So while she's a good doctor, she doesn't appear to have good judgment when it comes to business practices. She's chosen to run her practice as a business, and she is doing it poorly.
BodyLogic is EXTREMELY expensive -- more than you would pay for a concierge doctor, without the concierge service. They recommend a compounding pharmacy in San Diego that charges $40 for generic synthroid, something that costs $5 at Costco. But because Dr Kissel recommended the pharmacy, I ordered from there, until I caught on. When I questioned her office about the costs, their response was that it's illegal to get kick backs from pharmaceuticals. But I'm sure it's not illegal to get kickbacks for hitting ordering benchmarks, and I thing it's possible that's what happens. That alone made me question Dr Kissel and her practice. And when I asked for my prescriptions, they told me they couldn't email them, but that I could pick them up. I am extremely busy -- and have paid Dr Kissel's office an obscene amount of money -- and I would expect a BUSINESS (which is what BodyLogic MD is, make no mistake) to offer to mail the prescriptions to me. But they did not. When I finally made it to their office to pick up the prescriptions (after emailing several times and asking for them to be mailed), the office was closed. When I called the next day to follow up AGAIN, the nurse was curt with me, saying she had seen my email request from the prior week, but that they were out of the office. (A BUSINESS will generally have an "out of office" email reply, of course, but these folks don't know how to run a business.) When I mentioned that I had stopped by, she told me they're generally not in the office on Wednesdays. (Again, a BUSINESS would have hours posted, or would have the courtesy to tell their high-paying customers what their office hours are.)

When it comes to running a business, Dr Kissel and her staff would be OUT of business, if they weren't backed by BodyLogic MD -- and charging obscene prices for their services. Each half-hour visit is $275 (Dr Kissel generally goes over the half-hour time because she wants to educate her patients), and Dr Kissel gave me so much information that I couldn't process all of it. The result was that I left with $275 less, and a whole bunch of hand-written notes I couldn't really read or follow, and certainly couldn't implement. (I work with the medical field for a career, so I don't come into this with no knowledge.) When I call or email the office, I don't get responses unless I follow up continually, as I had to do with my prescriptions. As of this writing, I still haven't received the prescriptions, although I've paid an outrageous amount of money for them.

To say I'm disappointed in Dr Kissel and BodyLogic MD would be an understatement. I would not, under any circumstance, recommend them. They are charlatans, in the sense that they swindle money away from patients who really need help. And they should be ashamed of themselves.

• In
    infoma Sep 28, 2013

i went to them for about 15 months and had doctor Shaw. He only saw patients on Tuesday, but no one told me that-until i was ready for appointment two. That was the first problem. Tuesdays were very bad for me.
    Then he called in sick a few Tuesdays, (ok everyone gets sick) that was a problem.
    I was on pellets and he was clearly a rookie at insertion, He always had an issue, made me very nervous. Incredible bruising. Once Dr. Kissel did the insertion and i had no issues with bruising.
    The final straw was the medication they recommend. One day they called telling me to up my dosage of a certain medication i was not even on. Of course they rushed me some from the HIGH END LAD) and When i went to see Dr. Shaw he said i had increased the wrong medication, but never tried to see who called and got the meds wrong.
    So I had had it. I have now found a much cheaper and very solid lab and Doc. to better handle my medication. I encourage everyone to look around.
    Im very happy with the new group im working with. as far as the $275 meetings. It was probably the cheapest part. Meds were over the top price wise. I agree, Its a business no matter what. He also always went over time on the meetings. (just get to the point, i get it your a smart guy) and at the end i never really knew what they recommend.
    They would often forget to send me the script for blood work then postpone it to the next quarter very dangerous) and never, ever. did i get a call back.
    First they give me the pellets or meds, and then they try to sell you all kinds of HIGH END vitamins from there kick back pharmacy.
    Be carefull people, do your home work, and ask around. Body logic is a big thumbs down...

• I saw Kissel for over two years. I wasn't getting the benefit from the medications because she didn't have me on the correct dosage. If you're using bio-identical cream, you must change the site of application daily. She pushed hundreds of dollars of supplements which did nothing to improve my symptoms. I have all my paperwork, and my health and hormone balance is actually more imbalanced than it was before I saw here. She is a scam artist...stay away

• Em
    Emily4 Nov 25, 2014

The place is a scam, no question. When I checked the price of the hormones at a local, non-SanDiego pharmacy the cost was 1/4th with free shipping to my home. So I switched and then Kissel stopped honoring the prescription (which she had written!) and insisted more office visits and labs (which it appears she gets paid on both somehow, volume maybe?). More interested in the bottom line than her patients. Back to my OB and stable medicine...too bad, hate to be on the wrong end of this deal but apparently I am not alone

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices