Bill Me LaterUnauthorized billing

J

I noticed on my Bill Me Later statement that I had been charged twice for an item I ordered. The charges appeared on different days, so I called Bill Me Later to have them clear it up for me. They accepted ZERO responsibility and told me I had to contact the merchant. I told them I would not pay the 2nd charge and would not pay any finance charges on it either. All the representative would do was make a note on my account. I contacted the merchant and they are supposedly looking into it although they said they only saw ONE invoice to Bill Me Later.

I am appalled at how Bill Me Later will not attempt to resolve the matter for me. I have no insight into their accounting system nor the merchant's. Any bank or credit card company I've done business with in the past has always stepped right up and done everything to resolve the issue promptly. Bill Me Later is a joke and I'll not be using that service again.

• Te
    Tennessee Girl Sep 23, 2013

Now I have a 0 balance at Paypal. However, I have an overdue balance from bill me later from the same transaction that was paid on Paypal. I also have a large overdue service charge for that bogus charge from bill me later. From what I am reading about the scams at Paypal aka bill me later, I will not be able to get a resolution from either company. I have emailed them and received this answer, "We do our best to reply within 3 days". How lame is that? When I searched for information on how to close my account on their website, that was the question they couldn't answer.

• Tx
    TXNCO Dec 14, 2012

I always pay my bills online when I get paid once a month. However, I will wait and make sure that the amount due is for that month due date. I went on Bill Me Later to pay my bill on 11/30/12 and it showed $86.00 due 12/27/12. I paid that amount that day. Several days later, I went in to see if the payment was posted and it showed the payment was posted and instead of showing zero due, it showed $95.00 due on 12/27/12. I also noticed there was a late charge but I'm never late! I called customer service and was told I was paying too early!!! I said that it showed what was due but he said my statement didn't cycle until 12/2/12 so it spit out the new amount due. Evidently, what caused the late charge was that "I paid too early" the previous month and didn't pay enough, even though I paid what showed due so they socked me with a $25.00 late fee, which they ended up taking off. Since I had already, according to my records, paid my December payment, I asked if they could move the $86.00 to the amount they now showed due of $95.00 and I would pay the difference. Of course they could not. I told him I could not afford to make another payment and asked if I could do something like a skip a payment where they just charge the interest. He said yes, they could do that but they would charge me interest and a late fee for not paying. What a RIP OFF!! I don't think these practices are legal and will certainly turn them in to the Consumer Finance Board.

• After dealing with Bill me later for 2 days I would say the blame is on them instead of the cashiers at Ace Hardware!!! This is the worst company I have ever dealt with!!! Bill me Later is awful! Will not authorize a purchase I am trying to buy even though I have the credit available, now if it was fraudulent there would be no problem with it going through and i am sure I would go through same hell that I am going through trying to get a legitimate purchase to go through as i would denying a fraudulent purchase.

• i agree DO NOT USE THEM!! IT IS A HASSLE from day one. They will not investigate anything!! I am trying to order some items and they will not let the purchase go through, even though I have called and emailed them to let them know it is really ME using my account!!
    I believe in letting people know about companies that do not do what they promise and this is the first company I feel I should complain about!

• Kc
    KC0010 Mar 11, 2012

They should not sleep at night for what they are doing!!! So True!!!

• Le
    leah414 Feb 28, 2012

you're probably one of the stupiest people on earth - congratulations!
    what the hell did you think was going to be charged - and you not getting a bill in two months; lie - it all is via email.
    did you think you were going to get your stuff and then not pay for it?
    you should collect your 'stupidest' prize - it's free gas - you should go look inside your gas tank to make sure we delivered it - hint; use a good set of matches and peek in real close

Majore Feb 28, 2012

I purchased material for $77.24 and was using paypal to pay for it. Instead of paypal I got a service called "Bill Me Later" which appeared to be part of Paypal. Two months later we received a notice(the first one) about bill me later. We contacted the company to find that we owe them $99.24 which comes to approximately 26% interest. This is usury. Not being informed about late fee interest and not receiving notification of the bill. We paid the $99.24 bill by check today.

• Zo
    Zoe W Feb 08, 2012

I found out today I was scammed out of $200 for someone using Bill Me Later to buy stuff from Walmart's website. This is ridiculous and something needs done.

• Ar
    Arah Nov 14, 2011

Bill me later has very bad customer service. I missed a payment because with all the events going on of my grandpa passing away . I paid my balance in full as soon as I received the late notice and called to have my late payment reversed I also received other charges which I was passive about and just wanted the late fee they charged paid back. The representative behind the phone was very rude and did not seem to care or understand my situation. The least they could do is give me some credit for a future purchase. I wish I had taken down the name of the person I was talking to. I will make sure not to use this service anymore and hopefully they don't do anything to hurt my credit. So just be aware before you sign up. Hopefully with all the negative experiences people are having with this company, they finally do something about it. PayPal is a great service by adding Bill Me Later they have been hurting their reputation.

• Fr
    fredflintstone Jul 14, 2011

After years of doing business with Ace Hardware store i will Never return or use Bill me Later that thier website is affiliated with. Bill me Later harassed us for 6 months... of phone calls and letters demanding payment for an item that was returned, by the stupid store cashiers, at Ace Hardware. Even after multiple telephone calls mailing in receipts that we provided evidence to Bill Me Later they are totally looney !

• As
    Asterixx May 26, 2011

They operate with PayPal, an Ebay service. In fact, it's a legal scam that is apparently not quite legal (not in California at least).
    BillMeLater should be called BillMeSooner or OverBillMe.

It takes them 5-7 days for a credit to show up from Paypal. It takes them another 8-10 days until you receive a check from them, assuming you call them as soon as the bank trasfer between PayPal and BillMeLater happens. Strange? If you transfer money from one US account to another, it's there in a few seconds. Obviously, these scammers borrow your money for a couple of weeks; something that made AmericanExpress with Traveler's Checks.

And yes, while your money does not exist anywhere, you are paying them interest!!!

Besides, they overcharge for everything. I have not checked, but at this point I can imagine they charge their 20% interest from day 1.

Maz p Apr 29, 2011

Bill Me Later is a company owned by pay pal, I used it once and never received a statement, I received no less than 7 advertising type emails from bill me later but no statement. By chance I went to my paypal account to see if any payment was due and learned my payment was 2 days late with a 25 dollar late fee. This is a deceptive banking violation and will be reported as such to the FDIC and banking commission

• St
    steve betz Apr 17, 2011

I ORDERED A CAR COVER FOR MY 59 MERCURY ONLINE AND USED THE BILL ME LATER PROCESS. AFTER ORDERING THE COVER I REALIZED THAT A LARGE CAR BY TODAYS STANDARDS IS NOT THE SAME AS 1959 STANDARDS.THE COVER WAS DELIVERED TO A LOCAL WALMART WHERE I PROMPTLY ASKED THEM TO RETURN IT. SINCE THEN I HAVE TOLD BILL ME LATER THAT COVER WAS RETURNED NUMEROUS TIMES.YET I STILL GET BILLS SENT TO ME EACH MONTH AND OF COURSE AMOUNT DUE HAS BEEN GOING UP. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT LANGUAGE THEY SPEAK BUT IT SURE IS NOT ENGLISH. I GET HARRASSING PHONE CALLS ALL DAY LONG BUT I REFUSE TO PAY FOR AN ITEM I DO NOT HAVE. A WORD TO THE WISE AVOID BILL ME LATER.

• Sh
    Sharron Magden Jan 18, 2011

I am having problms with Bill me Later, Supposely I had a charge in Dec 2017 for Wal-mart for the amount of 29.45 and In Aug 2017 I received a collection agency letter sayin I owe 95.00/ I never receved a bll and when I called bill m later I told them I had a diferent emailand I moved, and they told me eerything is at this collection agency. So when I called the agencey, I contacted 5 times and told me Bill me later would email me a bill never got it. Then in Dec 2017 I received another letter from diffrent agencey and whn I called them I was being harrassed and told me if I do not pay something this charge will still be on my record. I ended paing 35.00 bt I still feel this charge is not mine, nd especially I have a Walmart credit card.
    Last week I nt a register letter to Bill me later and gave them my address and email and wanted answers nd I gave them a week. Still have not heard from them. Where to I go to send this complaint to the Better Business Bureau.

my email is [email protected]

• Pe
    Pete from NJ Dec 30, 2010

BillMeLater is the worst circumventor of loopholes in our banking system. They use honest people to make profit off of, and they're good at luring people to do things you'd normally won't do using your good judgement. I never purchased items from BuyDig.com and it keeps showing up on BML account as "Pending" transaction. My credit line is also down but when I called BML, the rep says I should just order the things I want as it most likely fine. That really raised a red flag and then as soon as I received the bill for my 1st purchase, I paid in full the next day - a purchase of $57 with minimum payment of $35. Wow, had I purchased something more expensive, and I did not have the moeny to pay it, then I would have been ripped off. Then, the 3 reps I spoke to said the pending transactions would clear in 7, 10, and 30 respectively. Avoid this merchant, they are in polite words, white collared criminals.

JaMar1 Oct 25, 2010

BML pulled the same trick with me and have been "investigating" for 10 days now. The program I used was 6 months deferred interest but they claim it was a standard purchase caused by me entering the wrong information or Walmart entering the wrong information. BS, what a scam!

I paid off my account less their usurious interest charges, then canceled my account. I have also filed a complaint with Walmart for offering BML as a payment choice.

If you need more hassles in your life I highly recommend doing business with these crooks. Google 'bill me later class action' to see the CA lawsuit filed against them.

• Do
    dontbillmelater Aug 17, 2010

I recently received a bill from them as well and was given the same run around about the stopping of the accout. I had never heard of the company and apparently have already had my identifying information used to create the account illegally. I wasn't going to give them any additional information.

I will send a payment, demand the account be closed and frozen and whatever else i can call shutting it down...

I will also contact the ftc and make a fraud complaint there. The items bought were usps shipping labels so I will make a complaint with the postal inspectors.

I will also be freezing my credit. So no one can check it or open any new lines of credit without my being notifyied.

• Bi
    bill me later victim Aug 17, 2010

I received a bill from Bill me later yet I did not purchase anything online or set up an account with them. When I called the number on the bill they wanted all my personal info to "verify who I was." I told Tiffany that I am not giving her any more info than what is on the bill they sent me. I don't know who they are and I never conducted a transaction with them for 3 airline tickets. She stated that unless I provide my social security number and home phone number she would not be able to assist me.
    This is a major fraud.
    My suspicion is once I verify my info they can now update their records to reflect that I in fact made these fraudulent purchases. I have never had dealings with them and neither have I purchased any airline tickets and requested to be billed later.
    I then contacted the airline and notified them that I did not purchase any tickets. They could not help either. The bill me later account info does not come up and the statement did not include the actual transaction number.
    The airline is sending me back to Bill me later.
    Nonsense
    I just wanted to type this complaint so folks know be very very wary of doing any business with them. I don't care how many blogs state that they are a reputable company. A legitimately reputable company would investigate regardless of if I gave them any info or not. (if they cared)
    DO NOT CONDUCT ANY BUSINESS WITH BILL ME LATER.

JasmineT. Jul 21, 2010

I have used this service several times in the past for purchases such as a computer, airline tickets and photography equipment. On my most recent purchase I checked out from adorama.com using Bill Me Later to take advantage of the advertised No Payments for 6 Months on purchases over $500. Bill Me Later did not honor these terms, instead putting my charge through as a standard purchase. Multiple telephone calls to uncaring call center employees who refused to allow me to speak to a supervisor produced no results. This company appears to be a huge scam based on all the online complaints I've seen recently, yet so many companies including PayPal partner up with them. Bill Me Later insisted I checked out my purchase using Bill Me Later through PayPal and not using Bill Me Later "natively" so my purchase did not qualify for the promotional terms advertised on Bill Me Later's website. What? Does that sound confusing and purposely misleading to anyone else out there because it sure does to me! I cancelled my account and transferred my balance over to a reputable credit card company and will never deal with Bill Me Later in the future. They treated me with complete disrespect and I never received the promised phone call from a 'manager' they swore was unavailable to speak to me when I called to follow up on my situation.

notbendingover May 06, 2010

I pay my bills monthly. I pay my bills on time or even early. Two times Bill Me Later has issued late fees because I PAID EARLY. Then they say I didn't pay at all for the month in question AND have a late fee. After several calls a representative called me back to tell me that they did me the FAVOR of taking off the late fee and accredited my account with the proper payment. This is totally WRONG. IS it even LEAGLE to charge people for paying early??? I sent the money thru my online bank on the month in question that it was due. Don't use this company unless you like dishonesty and paying fees you don't owe.

• Also a victim of BillMeLater weak security - they DO NOT take any steps to verify information - this should be illigal. Someone opened an account using my name, DOB, and last-four SS. I WILL NEVER USE BILLMELATER AS A CONSUMER.

• Bm
    BMLvictm Apr 13, 2010

BML is the latest financing option on the internet. It does NOT require any account numbers, passwords, pin numbers, codes, or secret question answers methods. They just approve you with your Address, DOB and last 4 numbers of your SSL. Very weak security. I already got burnt. No alerts, no emails like Pay Pal or other CC companies. They approved online purchases based on this minimal information. Warning - close your accounts with BML now, even if you don't use them. Any one can use your info to buy stuff, and you wont find out until 30 days later when you get a bill in the mail. Absolutely weak, worthless security and verifications process.

• C1
    c12674 Mar 17, 2010

I had the SAME EXACT experience with BLM. And now they continue to call me 10 TIMES A DAY harrassing me from 8am to 1opm. It's ridiculous. I refuse to pay their late fees they tacked on by not sending me a bill. They are just disgusting.

SAL Phoenix Mar 02, 2010

I purchased an airline ticket with Bill Me Later in July of 2017. August 2017 I was in a auto accident that left me in a coma and hospital for four (4) months. When I contacted the airlines requesting a refund they informed me that Bill Me Later never paid them and that I would have to contact Bill Me Later for a refund. HELLO!!! Bill Me Later won't refund me because I missed the sixty (60) day window for the dispute. You've got to be kidding??? They never paid US Air but want me to pay them??? I couldn't have contacted them if I wanted to. I guess being critically injured isn't enough for them. DON'T USE BILL ME LATER!

• Zo
    Zoe4196 Feb 26, 2010

I am going through the exact same thing right now. Waiting for a "manger" to call me back as I am writing this. I've been dealing with this since November. I went online and paid in full except for a $10 credit they owed me. I spoke to them and was assured the credit would appear. I never got a bill so I incorrectly assumed it was applied - today I received a bill for the first time, that $10 now is costing me $26 - no credit applied and no bill ever received in Dec or Jan, now its Feb 26th! They said I am also receiving electronic bills, but my account online shows I am signed up for paper bills in the mail.

I too would join a class action lawsuit!

• Do
    Doug123 Feb 23, 2010

I have never received a bill from Bill Me Later until it was not only already late but it had late fees already added. I have made several calls to them - the first time I was told they had put me on wireless statement (which I did not sign up for) so I had them change it to regular statements so I would have a record. The next time I called they said they sent the bill and it wasn't returned to them so I must have gotten it. I did not then, nor have I EVER received a single bill from them before the due date or one that didn't already have the late fee already printed on it. Those with the late fee arrive perfectly about a week after the original due date. I am not the only one, I have seen many complaints saying exactly the same thing.
    I will be more than happy to take part in a class action suit against Bill Me Later. I have never had this kind of problem with anyone else and I find it impossible to believe that ONLY bill me laters bills ever get "lost in the mail" every single month. I am now paying in full and will never use them again - a three hundred dollar purchase has now cost more than double that amount. Caveat Emptor.

• Jk
    JKM30 Feb 13, 2010

NEVER USE Bill me Later!!! I made a purchase, used them because that was the only payment option. I then paid the account balance in full. The payment did not go through - not because there was not funds but because of a possible input error regarding the checking account. As soon as I realized there was still a balance, I called to talk to someone, made the payment again - this time it worked. The employee was unable to clear the late fees and had to talk to a supervisor and would email me. Of course, never heard from said employee. Then I emailed them about the situation, never heard from them. Finally, I called again today. They will not waive the late fees. I have paid the late fees and am mad as you know what about it. THEY ARE A RIP OFF !!!

DO NOT EVER USE Bill Me Later!!!

• Hb
    HBSSLaw Dec 10, 2009

I’ve read stories about consumers being charged inflated interest fees – some exceeding an APR of more than 100 percent.

Not sure where you're located, but these charges are unfair and illegal according to California’s consumer protection laws. I work with a law firm investigating Bill Me Later for illegal billing practices and they want to hear from California residents taken by this scheme who may be interested in participating in a case. Share your story at http://www.hbsslaw.com/bill_me_later.htm

• Ri
    Ripped Off One Dec 02, 2009

Same here. I pay online through their website. Wouldn't you know it, the website does not process your payment, it does not go through, and your slapped with a late fee. I PAY ON THE WEBSITE A WEEK IN ADVANCE! So, yes, scam. I'm about to stop making payments to them all togeather, I do not care about having bad credit anymore after all this credit card junk.

• Gr
    gr8one411 Nov 20, 2009

You are spot on! They ripped me off by offering $100 off and 90 days no finance charge. Purchase goes through and doing their best Copperfield impression...PRESTO no record of the offer. LOL. Whatever...fool me once! I will be sure to let everyone in every forum they are unethical and outright thieves.

• Ab
    abrooks5 Sep 18, 2009

This company is a SCAM and they obviously have a problem in many areas... AND make it very difficult to communicate with them.

DO NOT USE... BILL ME LATER!!!
    SCAM... SCAM ... SCAM
    I payed them then three days later they charged me a late fee... then by the time you realize it... you are charged another late fee!!!

I always pay my bill online and on time, usually with automatic withdrawals. This company however does NOT allow automatic withdrawals?!?!? LEGIT companies would usually be more than happy to accept your payment!!!

I payed my fees because it was obviuos they are incompetant and irrational; therefore I didnt want to deal with them any longer... HOWEVER, I am going to make sure I do my best to destroy their name and not let it happen to any other individual.
    Thanks and I hope this helps others!!

• He
    Heather Fields Jun 25, 2009

Mia,
    I work for Bill Me Later and have come across your comment. I would be happy to help follow up on this matter with your help. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience at [email protected]

Sincerely,
    Heather Fields
    Bill Me Later, Inc.
    [email protected]

• Mi
    Mia Jun 17, 2009

DON'T USE THEM! IT IS THE BIGGEST HARASSING RIP OFF ON THE PLANET!!

• Mi
    Mia Jun 17, 2009

I am in total agreement! This is the most fraudulent scam of a company. They did the same to me! Told me they didn't recieve my payment twice. I had record of it!! They were rude and send emails, vm, bills constantly. A $59 dollar item ended up costing me $72 after 5 calls to get them to reduce it to that. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY!! THEY SHOULD ALL BE IN JAIL!!

• Ne
    NewYorker May 19, 2009

MD sallus, i know Tigerdirect and BillMeLater both... while Tigerdirect has been serving my self with every order without a problem, Bill me later is a sure thing to avoid now and forever. I am not affiliated with any of these companies. Let me give you my honest answer of only what i know.

Here's how it works. You order something, and the thing gets lost, in parcel ( Not to forget, yes UPS guys do that, sign packages and steal the item or throw them and leave them by front gate sometimes, which anybody who notes can pickup easily when no one's around ). When you file the complaint to TigerDirect they are supposed to put the transaction on hold and investigate. If you were already charged, you cant help it anymore as it would take almost abt 4wks + to return ur money on an ordinary credit card it self. In your case, it will take more. BillMeLater is not an easy company to deal with. They only track how much money you owe, and dont even warn you before your payment due date, instead they wait 5 days after your payment due date and add late charges and finance charges to it as well as raising your interest much higher than a loan shark, just to the extent you would feel that you never ever shopped. Why did i say it .. Because I have read that this company charged interest as high as 80%. Yes you read me right my friend. Just because they thought he was missing payments when he don't even owe nothing.

Herez the proof, Do some reading here,

Buddy, i don't know you in person, and there is no reason i should scare you. But i have only said what i have learned from others mistakes, Especially my friend's. And to make the story more horrifying, yes the do keep adding charges and late fees to your initial amount until you put up with a legal firm and, THEY DO SEND YOUR INFO TO COLLECTION, and yes they will take you to a serious extent and waste your time as well as well as killing your credit.

My advice,

GO FOR A LEGAL HELP BRO, GATHER FEW PEOPLE AND LETS DO A PETITION OR SOMETHING AND CLOSE THIS COMPANY DOWN FOR THEIR UNETHICAL PRACTICES. YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE HURT BRO, ACTUALLY THERE ARE MANY HURT AND ONLY A RARE AMOUNT DID SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS WITH THEM. You know what happened to them later ? next time when they tried to purchase again, they were rejected the credit, because BillMeLater didn't make any money on their business with those few. Read on Bro, Internet is a very powerful tool.

• Md
    MDSallus May 19, 2009

We purchased an item form a company called TigerDirect.Com. through the Bill Me Later section. We waited and waited for the item for nearly 2 months and never got the item. We called UPS to track the item down and it said the item was delivered. After numerous investigations we were told that the driver had signed the delivery notice and never delivered the item. UPS sent the claims money to TigerDirect.com to reimburse them for the claim. They in turn were supposed to send the moneys to Bill Me Later to settle the account. Tiger direct has apparently never sent the money to Bill Me Later and Bill Me Later is trying to stick me with a bill that they need to go back to the merchant to get their money back from. I have informed Bill Me Later if I get another call for collecting on the bill or if they put this on my credit report I will seek legal counsel and sue them for bad business practices. Shame on them for their harassment and fraud.

• He
    Heather Apr 01, 2009

My name is Heather and I work for Bill Me Later and I'd be happy to help you. Please send me an email at [email protected] at your convenience. Thank you.

• Ra
    Rayenelle Mar 31, 2009

Bill Me Later Featured a Holiday Matching Game where you could receive up to $100 off a purchase of up to $250. After playing the game several times, I won a $25 credit toward a $100 purchase. The credit should have appeared on my statement, which it has not. After having called twice to inquire about the credit, a CSR informed me both times that he would put it in the system to investigate the credit. The last time I called, I asked to speak with a manager to which I was told that there was no manager available and one would return my call. Also, the CSR stated that the manager would tell me the same thing that they would investigate the credit; and the manager didn't have the power to apply the credit to my account. Bill Me Later seems to be operating on some unethical business tactics and should be closed.

• Le
    Lenapena Mar 23, 2009

I used BML once, and enjoyed the "no payment for 90 days" promo. They sent me statements with $0.00 due for 90 days. So, next time I use it on the same terms, I ignore the very first statement, which as I am assuming has a zero due.. A month after I see an email alert "your payment is overdue". I open the new statement and see the late fee and all the good stuff. No payment for 90 days bull crap. Never again will I use these scammers. Will be happy to hear of them being sued.

• Ju
    Just Checking Dec 01, 2008

I see that a person named Heather Fields, supposedly from Bill Me Later, has responded to a number of complaint posts. Has anyone tried working with this person? What were the results?