Best Buy's Geek Squadgeek squad

C

This is a real doozy here! I took my computer to the Best Buy where I purchased it to have what I thought was a minor problem fixed, the same problem I had with it in 2007 that they "fixed". I wanted to get it fixed since my service contract that I had paid a small fortune for was due to expire the next day. I was told when I left it there it would be a three days before they could get with me to tell me what they found. Then they called me the next day. They informed me that they couldn't fix the problem withour removing 198 Trojan viruses on it, which would have cost me $129.99. I found this rather odd since I had just had my computer scanned and ridded of any viruses in the past month. Told them I would have to hold off since I didn't have the extra money at the present. Picked up my computer, and low and behold when I got home, they had left their diagnostic disc in my computer. Out of curiosity I ran it and low and behold again, it showed I had a total of 13 problems on my computer, and only 2 Trojan viruses! Talk about scammers!!! Not sure what to do about their attemped scam yet, but you can bet I will never take anything back to those idiots! Am going to report them though for sure!

• Gn
    gnarkill5821 Jun 11, 2009

@Cathy

They are not scammers, it seems like the internet and conspiracy has gotten to you.

When they run a diagnostic they run a program that they refer to as FACE. What it does is run 10 different programs at once and posts an easy to read log screen of what it did. The 10 different programs consist of hardware tests and virus / spyware detection programs. The log screen on this program posts the number of traces total from all of the virus/spyware detection programs. So it seems that an agent told you that "he detected 198 trojans on your system" which is not "technically" correct verbage (he really meant that his scanning software detected 198 traces of infection on your machine).

Now you took the liberty of running some of the software on the cd for whatever reason. I'm sure you maneuvered your way to the diagnostic section of the agent toolbox and ran a program called system analyzer. That program gives a nice customer facing snapshot of the operating system condition of the computer. It also displays virus/spyware information in a different way. Instead of totaling up the number of traces what it does is take the detected traces and compares them to its internal database of names for them and posts the number of known infection names.

If the above paragraph wasn't the case and you actually ran the same FACE program that the agents used here's another possibility.

The FACE program is very automated and can be configured to remove the infections that it detects as well. They could have forgotten to uncheck the checkbox that says "removal" and the program could have removed all 198 traces. The agent that called you could have seen that and tried to remedy the situation by getting your approval for O/S service ($129.99) so that they didn't perform free work. The program doesn't clean every trace every time so then when you ran that program it only had 2 traces of infection left.

****Bottom Line **** --> Both situations are very plausible and I'm pretty sure the first one actually happened because FACE is a bit harder to maneuver to and correctly run if you aren't very familiar with the MRI. They didn't do anything wrong except forget to take the MRI disc out of your computer.