Menu

E
Author of the complaint
2:06 pm EST
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Their Billing Dispute Department seems designed to frustrate customers. Hold time to reach a representative have exceeded 2 hours, ; form letters state that they are open till 9 pm EST, but if you call after 8 pm EST the voice message is that they close at 8; each time I have talked with a representative a new and different document is requested; documents mailed and faxed to them somehow never arrive there; requests for an email address so that I can scan and email documents are rejected.

More Barclays Bank complaints & reviews

Barclays Bank - Draft is original or not and send this name or not
Barclays Bank - Unfair practice for balance transfer
Barclays Bank - Fraud and scam
Barclays Bank - Apr charged
Barclays Bank - Charge to my account
3 comments

Barclay’s dispute department is at best a JOKE! They have no interest in supporting their cardholders against unethical and illegal practices by their merchants. I purchased some light fixtures for a new home from Hudson Valley Lighting. They charged me for and sent an additional light fixture that I had not ordered. I contacted them repeatedly advising them of the error and asked for a call tag/return authorization to send the fixture back. I was lied to more times than I can count, being told them would send it as soon as we were off the phone. After so many unsuccessful attempts to get the call tag, I filed a dispute with the bank. They took an inordinate amount of time to respond. After nearly two months, the lighting company sent me the return label. I immediately returned it but was not provided reimbursement. I finally received a letter from Barclays saying that they would not refund my money because I hadn’t returned the light! They then gave me 10 days to provide documentation that it had been returned. Their letter was written on December 13th. I have no idea when it actually was mailed. Once I got their rejection letter, I went to work getting the tracking information from UPS and found it had been returned, what day it had arrived at Hudson, and even who accepted. I then wrote a letter including all this documentation and mailed it on December 26th. Given the time it took for their letter to get to me, I was well within the 10 day requirement. Then, I heard nothing. Finally. I called and was told that the case had been reopened in January and that it was being sent to the “investigators” and it would take 45 days. I asked them what they could possibly be investigating since what they required from me was proof that the item had been returned. The “robot” I spoke with read repeatedly from their script telling me that is their procedure. Once again, I heard nothing so mid February, I called again and was told that they were unable to do anything because it fell “OUTSIDE” the timeline. Apparently, they wrote the letter on the 13th and potentially waited to mail it for several days and starting the 10 day counting from the 13th, thus making it impossible for me to get the information back to them within 10 days. I called and complained and pled my case and was told they would “escalate” it up the chain. I received another form letter today basically saying, we are not going to do anything! So in essence, they have some people within their department that have no interest in actually doing their jobs and could care less if you are screwed over by their merchants. I was told to continue to pursue it with Hudson. Which by the way, do not even consider doing business with the company. They have now had the light fixture back for 3 months and refuse to answer my emails or return my money. Apparently Hudson and Barclay are birds of a feather! I am not exploring other option for a MasterCard and will be delighted to send this one back in a million pieces.

P
Aug 11, 2020 4:41 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Amen Amen agreeing with the above review same thing happened to me I spoke with a manager that couldn't help me said would have someone from the President Office call me back two 2 weeks for a call back left message saying call back to the customer service line not even to call her back . Barclays have no customer service or President Office that have any authority just there to take up customers time. NO one
can help, sent a complaint was sent a letter back stating (giving you a quality product and service is very important to us) really they are full of right words but no action and they are not committed to their customer, just want to make money. Its really sad I sent a disputed stating on wanted credit that the company I purchase from said they sent in a credit Barclays sent me a letter stating my case is closed cause they read my pin really I purchase on line (LOL) that's telling me they are not even looking into my dispute. So I had to go back to the merchant and have them send me a copy of the credit (sad) that the company that you have had no trouble with now do I don't believe Barclays was always Hawaiian BOH provider. I
will be closing my account and be writing a letter to the corporate office. If any one listening check who the provider is on a credit card you will be using if BARCLAYS take my advice and don't use it they are many cards out there with a lot better benefits check them out. Don't call their customer service they can't help.
Don't call their dispute line they can only tell you what they see, won't help even the President Office Before getting a credit card call their billing department and ask your questions so you know they policy, I did when I got another credit card so I will be closing this one from Barclay's. Barclays says they are Responsiveness.

B
Jul 17, 2013 9:33 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Exactly the same as my recent experience. Everytime I called Barclay Bank, I had to speak with a new representative and had to start all over again explaining my dispute case- about 30-40 hours total time on the phone in a 10 week period. They do not read the case documentation that is supposed to exist. My 10 year old is brighter and more responsible than those people. I called many times. The merchant that I "overpaid" even reported the credit card charge to Barclay's as "unauthorized", in an effort to help me recover my money; and Barclay's Dispute Separtment still would not respond. I finally began inquiring to Barclay's about their arbitration policies and procedures and it was then I spoke with a supervisor and got what appears now as results. But, I will not feel easy about this until I have closed this credit card account. They have arbitrarily reversed their position on the dispute many times over the last two months, without any explanation. I like the Barclay ChoicePrivilege Reward program but hate their customer service and dispute departments. I will close this account soon and never use a Barclay Bank credit card again.

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

214 complaints