Bankers Life and CasualtyIt's true they are crooks

I worked for BKC for two years, I personally saw or hear every excuse possible made to clients when it came time to get benefits paid. I emailed, sent registered mail, got home office people names and supervisor's assurances, things were being handled.

Ya, you guessed it, it dragged on, and on.

You name the excuse, the clients heard it. It took the insurance commissioner to get one client paid and LTC claim. I personally know a client that is currently getting the run-a-round about getting his LTC policy paid that he has been paying on for 15 years. It's been 9 weeks and still no money, even when the client has a two week elimination period. A field manager stated, "You pay the first two weeks, and then Bankers pays." Well, the money has run out, the help had to let go and Bankers is still reviewing the case! I could write more, but it almost too much to be true... One word - Beware!

• Ri
    rickmayse Aug 04, 2008

Every excuse in the world to avoid paying claims, my falther in law had a Nursing home policy, have made numerous calls only to be transferred or put off, he died two days ago, it has been months they have paid nothing. Its my believe many elderly people finally just give up, dealing with them. I ask one of the people that works there, why would you work for them, her answer jobs are hard to get.

Anonymous Mar 03, 2009

I almost worked for them, and turned it down because I couldn't afford to get licensed to sell insurance, and given the crappy economy, and where I live, felt I wouldn't be able to sell.

anyways, the recruiting manager basically harassed me and tried to guilt-trip me into staying with the job. I said no, kept saying no, and finally he said OK, and that I was missing out.

So I get another call a week ago from a different recruiting manager from the same office asking if I want to come in for an interview. So I said that I already turned down a job there selling insurance about 2 months ago, and he had no idea. And then he started pestering me to come work for them!

The thing that sucks is that it's entirely commission-based. As in, if you put in all of the hours, and you don't sell any insurance, you don't get paid. At all. Nothing. And the guy just couldn't get that i needed a guaranteed income, and kept saying that if I work hard enough, I'll sell insurance and get paid.

anonymous Mar 26, 2009

I just had an "interview" with Bankers. I initially received a call from a recruiter who I told I was not interested in commission jobs. He said attend the interview anyway to learn about other employment opportunities with the company. So this hooked me. I then receive an email from the alleged person I would be interviewing with entailing the location, time etc. for the interview. Great, right? I go to the "interview" only to find a room full of people, some of whom are not even dressed appropriately or looked like they just rolled out of bed. I was even greeted by a person other than the person who emailed me. We sat through a presentation that showed all of the right reasons why this would be a fulfilling career path.

The representative giving the presentation was quite entertaining and kept our eyes open...he was a great salesman. He made Bankers sound like the best place on earth. He described the selection process as 3 parts. The first part being that day, the orientation. The second being a call back and third being a face to face with his boss. Not once did he explain why we were told that we were invited to an interview with an anonymous person, and then came in to a room full of other recruits for a presentation. I personally found this strategy unprofessional and a waste of my time.

The bottom line, and one that was not addressesed, is that my time would be unpaid unless I was able to make the sales. I can't afford that risk, I need to know what I'm making and know that it's coming in every month. Their recruiting tactics are geared toward finding warm bodies and I didn't feel that I was being recognized for my qualifications at all.

If you get a call of this kind...this is what you will experience. You decide.

• Ti
    Tippy Apr 17, 2009

I am suppost to go to an interview at Bankers life. I decides to google it an boy am I glad I did. Now I am seriously thinking of canceling my interview. My problems is I know nothing about the company not even how they found me. I have been looking for a job everywere but never applyed here. Creapy but what ever. I just need to know if this is the same company that is wanting to inteview me. I live in Louisville KY. is this a nationly known company or local? Please if you can save me the time that would be great. Thanks

golfer15 Apr 26, 2009

The worst career choice you can make is taking advice from whiners and failures and what they write in blogs. Do your own fact based research or you will end up with 20 "jobs" in 30 years instead of 1 career.

chaka76 Apr 28, 2009

I think overall, that sales based completely on comission is a waste of time. If you are a great salesperson, than perhaps you would do will in this kind of market.
    These people just recently contacted me, and I don't think they reviewed my qualifications much at all. But, from what I've read they aren't interested in what I can do, just push their product. I've done plenty of sales jobs before, and doing cold calling is just plain dumb.
    Often times, if something sounds "to good to be true" it probably is.

golfer15 May 01, 2009

Give me a break. Listen to these obsessed, vindictive victims and your career options will be very limited since most companies have garbage like this posted. Successful people do not tend to take time out of their busy schedules to complain about or defend what they do.

• Ki
    kissa May 13, 2009

Thank you guys for saving me lots of time and energy!!
    They invited me for a interview!!! After reading your comments. I think they are just looking for a sales man and not MANAGER!!
    sales based completely on commission is a waste of time.

Thanks again

Made May 14, 2009

I will not recommend Bankers Life to anyone! They operate unethical to get your money. One of our employees was terminated and wanted to rollover his 401k through Bankers Life. He was working with Mark there. Our distribution papers state to be mailed back to the employer and the employee was also told to mail them back to the employer when completed with his information for the rollover. This Mark person, fill out the rollover information and sent the distribution papers, with all the personal information, to our financial adviser for our 401k investments, instead of the employer, then lied about it saying he was told to send it there. Our office is small, and I am the only person that works with employee benefits, so I know it was BS, but in fairness, I confirmed it with the one other employee and the owner, and no one spoke to Mark about it. So he lied. Our contact person at the financial adviser was changing jobs, so we had to ask that financial adviser to send the papers back to sender.
    To help save time, the distribution paper were re-created again and handed to the employee. He then took them to Mark at Bankers Life to again fill out his portion on behalf of the employee. This time I gave him an envelope with the employer's address and it did come back. As our process dictates, I sent the papers to our 3rd party administrator for their information on vesting, as it's requires their john henry, and was waiting for the papers to come back to our office for final signature by the owner, then to be sent overnight to the fund for distribution.
    I went on vacation, (Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday) with instructions to the one other employee in our office as to what to do when the paper came back to the office from the 3rd party administrator. Mark called on Thursday and intimidated the employee and owner for his signature. I was told he was rude and said we caused this delay, so of course they wanted to help correct any delays. Mark had faxed his copy of the papers to the fund and they had to verfy by phone with the owner and the 3rd party administrator the information. Mark also faxed his copy to our office so that the owner could sign it. This was faxed back to him and Mark faxed the signature page to the fund.
    When I returned from vacation, I called Mark to get an update on what was going on as I was confused about it all, as I had clear instructions when I left, so I wanted to know what happened and if all was ok now. I left a detailed message, and still have not had a returned call. I had to call our 3rd party administator and the fund to get the information. The fund sent the check by mail the day I returned, so I'm sure Mark at Bankers Life would be receiving his commission. I'm sure this was the whole reason for his intimidation tactic. Because of this process, I believe Mark at Bankers Life put the liability on the employer for his un-ethical method if anything went wrong. He got his commission at the extra work from five different people having to jump through hoops by his intimidation and arrogance. There is a reason for the proper channels when it comes to people's money and this guy is only taking care of himself.
    After learning all this, I'm not sure he is really working in the best interest of the employee, so I did let the employee know of what happened and of my concerns to be careful with this person.
    I can't comment on if their unethical methods has benefited the employee's investments.
    I believe in people trying to earn a living to provide for their families, but not at the expense of seniors that trust for that help. Mark at Bankers Life is a low life ### and should not be trusted! If this is what their employees are to do to get business, then don't go though Bankers Life!

mag1221 May 22, 2009

You have to make a sound choice on your own, but Bankers Life is NOT a good place to be unless you have a lot of money in the bank to live off of or another source of income. If you can hang on for a year or two and make it to a manager, you then make money off everyone else, plus your renewals and you just might make that $80K they promise you. I went with Bankers in March and just left there and went with a new insurance company. During the three month time there I made $200 and spent more than $2000 getting my license, fuel costs, and business start up costs. The leads are a joke, they are recycled over and over and the people you call are so upset with Bankers they hang up on you or go on the Do-Not-Call list to get you to leave them alone. You also pay for these recycled leads in a bi-monthly fee they take out of your check. I worked 14-16 hours a day and went on appointments with a manager in which you have to split the commission with. The Manager's are not salaried, so they won't allow you to sell any big commission products unless they are with you. They won't let you go on your own for a year! It's cut throat and very negative. I had the money to survive, but it's the unethical scripts they have you use, basically telling people lies to get in their homes, and because only very few are successful, it is a very depressing place with a revolving door of people being hired and then quitting. In the three months that I was there, 15 people came and went in an office of 20! I came out of it with an insurance license and I found I enjoy the insurance industry and found a better company to go with, so some positive came from a negative!

• Mo
    mom2amj May 28, 2009

Honestly, are you whiners educated? You can't even spell correctly!! Every sales position in Insurance is completey commission based. I have been with BLC forover four months and I haven't made less than $600 the weeks I have been in the field...some weeks over $2k. MANAGERS ARE SALARIED! I went out with my manager for three days and we did split commission on large policies, due to the fact that HE WAS SELLING, I was just watching and learning. However, on two policies we did not split commission...actually, on our very first appointment! This is a great company and my supervisor and branch manager are the best people I have ever worked for. I sold insurance before and had terrible management...and guess what, that was straight commission too! So, if you are lazy and just want a "paycheck" then go work at Wal-mart.

Chuck from PA Jun 02, 2009

I had an interview with Bankers life in King of Prussia, PA today. I was told that there were others positions available other than sales jobs. The only positions that they had were sales jobs. I asked the two people running the seminar about the jobs, and they said that's not what I do.

I have since called and emailed the recruiter for a a detailed job description I have asked 4 times since my initial contacy but have never recieved anything.

This is Bait and Switch. Period.

Also to work for Bankers you would need to put up $175 every month for insurance and other fees that they do not pay. This is a pyramid sceme, a Ponzi Scheme just like Bernie Madoff. I get you to work for me and you get your friends and they get thet're friends ect...

I could go on but one final thing.

BANKER'S TRUST PARENT COMPANY FILED FOR BANKRUPTCY IN 2002 AND MAY FILE AGAIN WITHIN WEEKS OR MONTHS . They are owned by Conseco which filed for Bankruptcy protection in December of 2002. Way before the "current banking and insurance crisis"

As of May 29, 2009 and according to the Street.com Conseco is basically bankrupt and is delinquent on $60 Million in loans

The Stock symbol for Bankers Life's parent is CNO or Conseco which trades on the New York Stock Exchange. So don't let the 130 years of experience fool you. Lehman and Bear Stearn had the same story as Banker's Life ... "we've been around since before the civil war"... and it took Leheman and Bear3 months to go Bankrupt after their rumors started to hit.

I hope this helps feel free to comment or post

• Co
    cooldude11 Jun 09, 2009

Fortunately my wife never made it to one of those meetings. I saw a couple of emails from that company that were sent to her because she posted a resume on a job website. It took me less than a single minute to realize the facts, thanks to Google.

But she had set up a meeting earlier today. I didn't know this until I saw another email arrive that confirmed the appointment. I quickly replied to email pretty much bashing the company and telling them to stop invading my home with phone calls and emails. Else I would take action against them for harrassment and any thing else I could come up with. I told them because my wife is such an honest person, she would be calling to cancel the meeting. We are the typical struggling family, trying to get through college, pay bills, and take care of three kids. We dont need any "opportunities" from low life ### like insurance companies. They do nothing for this world but take from others.

It's a shame we have people like that in the world. But I say they only exist because of the people who fall for it. Many of those people DO NOT have to. They either hear what they want to hear, or they are totally uneducated. As long as we have poor and/or dumb people in the world, we will have predators like Insurance Companies.

My advice is for everyone to inform others and teach people to get online and do some research about companies before dealing with them. The saying still holds true: If it's too good to be true...you know the rest.

good sence Jul 01, 2009

I have worked at BLC for a year and a half and I would recommend this career choice to anyone. Last year, which was my first I made 51k, went on a trip to the Bahamas, all expenses paid for both myself and husband. Yes it is hard work! I think that anything worth doing will be hard work. Most people have the clients best interest at heart, but some don't, that is the case wherever you work. We try to weed out the ones that only want a 6 figure income without caring for the clients. As I read these comments I have actually laughed at the uneducated people on these blogs. Try taking a 300k death benefit check to a new widow with 2 small kids who didn't know that there was life insurance and tell her it's a scam. That is a day I will not forget... That is what Bankers does for you...

• Jl
    J.Lynn.T Jul 08, 2009

I have worked for Bankers Life for over 3 years and it is a Great Company to work for that prides itself on being ethical and putting the clients interest/needs First!!! It is very hard work and the first year or so can be difficult. I made over 50K in my first 5 months with Bankers. I have been on many 1st class trips that Bankers has paid 100% of the cost of the trip. I have well over 200 clients that I have been able to improve their insurance coverage and save them money. Thus, giving them a piece of mind. Bankers has paid every claim that has been submitted for my clients with out delay.
    The bottom line is if you work hard and follow the training provided for you your income is limitless. Working for Bankers is not a job or career, it is owning your own business. If you can struggle through the first year or so you should do fine. Several agents in my office make well over 500K a year.
    By the way, I am very educated with a PhD. and recommend Bankers only for hard working, self-sufficient, honest and ethical people who want to make a difference in seniors lives.

• Wi
    wisteria Aug 05, 2009

I do not understand why some posters on this blog say commision-only sales jobs are a waste of time. Many sales positions are commission only and there is tremendous earning potential. It is not a scam. Some salesmen are successful and some aren't, but the potential is there. And if you put the time in, it will not be wasted. You won't know exactly what your income will be each month, true, but potentially it will be much greater than with a 30K/year administrative position or selling retail with a base salary.

As far as my research indicates, Bankers Life and Casualty is a long-standing company that operates much like many other insurance companies -- commission only, captive agents who are given inscentives and support to do a good job. I go to work for them this month.

All insurance companies get complaints. But the truth is, the insurance industry is one of the most regulated and each company has to pay out claims exactly as the policy says they will. Insurance salesmen, and the company, want happy customers who will stay on the policy because commission is paid on it each year. Therefore a good agent, and there are many, will sell a customer what he needs and can afford. Unfortunately people want to spend as little as possible when they buy, but want maximum coverage when they get sick or injured. Sometimes the two don't line up.

It seems to me the people who are complaining here are not experienced in sales or the insurance industry so are surprised by methods that are in reality standard and ethical.

• Fa
    Faceless Sep 01, 2009

I got a voicemail from Bankers a couple of days ago. I have my resume posted on Monster and Careerbuilder, but only in the format where I am the one who submits it to potential employers and not where anyone can see it. I was a bit confused when the caller said he got my resume onlin when he shouldn't have had access to it. That was the first red flag. I called back a couple of days later to see what this was all about. The guy who called had a very thick accent, and I couldn't tell what the company's name was on my voicemail. I had to listen to it a couple of times to even discern what city they were located in, which is over 50 miles from where I live.

Anyway, I called back and he started giving me information about Bannkers and that they wanted to schedule an interview. When he told me where the office was located, I told him it was too far away from where I lived. I was going to use this as my out and say I wasn't interested. Then he told me I could go to an office that was "slightly" closer at 30 miles away. I agreed and set up an interview. He said I would get an e-mail giving me details and directions.

Later that day, I went online and googled the company to find more information so I could be prepared for my interview. The second thing that google came up with was "Bankers Life and Casualty scam." I clicked on that and came across several sites where people who had interviewed with Bankers posted. They had gone to interviews that turned out to be a group of people watching a presentation of flashy numbers and how much money they could make in their first year. I found out from other sites that you have to pay for your training, you don't get benefits (ironic; an insurance company that doesn't provide health insurance for their own employees!), and several past employees stated that they had little to no income because it is commission-based. I also read on one site that they require you to give them your bank account number and a void check so they can deposit or withdraw comission money as they see f it. They can also withold commission you earned if they choose to do so.

After I found all this information, I told my husband what I had read. He told me to not bother going to the interview or even bother to let them know I wasn't going. At first I considered going to be polite but telling them I wasn't interested at the end, but I decided not to go. I called the recruiter back and told him I needed to cancel my interview since it was too far away. He told me they could send me an application, etc., etc. Finally I flat-out told him that after doing my research, I wasn't interested in working in the insurance industry. He became very abrupt, and hung up as I was thanking him for his time. @$$hole. I'm glad I didn't waste my time based on what I've read about Bankers. If you are contacted by them, I wuold suggest saying you're not interested and hang up. The bottom line: Do your research on a potential employer. If it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it probably is a duck.

Oh, and to the person who posted, " So, if you are lazy and just want a "paycheck" then go work at Wal-mart, " : I work in the retail industry for one of Wal-Mart's supercenter competitors, and I bust my @$$ and work hard every day, as do my co-workers. People at my store work harder than just about anyone I've come across. So don't dismiss retail workers as lazy.

• Sh
    shells11 Sep 17, 2009

This is the second Banker's complaint I have seen on this website alone...I don't think I trust them too much.

Joeschmodeshmo Oct 03, 2009

I laugh at all the idiots that post negative about Bankers. I have been with the company for fifteen years and yes the first couple of years I starved since then my renewals have climbed to 80, 000. Thats 80, 000 I hardly have to work during the year. This job is about being self employed and having the freedom to do what you want and not be tied with going into work everyday.

I am not one who has gone on the stupid company trips. I am the mediocre salesman who loves helping the senior community. Went on one trip once met some of the biggest ###s in the world. They didnt need to be conceited cause they thought they were perfect.

I get to run my business my way I am honest and help my clients. There is no job better then this one. With the baby boomers coming I laugh at these folks that are so skepticle. You will starve your first couple of years, but if you make it through and your ethical you will never worry about money again nor have any stress in your work. This job is only for those who want to be entreprenaurs and can go out and be self sufficient.

If you can not make it in this company you will never run your own business. Its not a cam not a ponzi scheme its a job you have to work at. I wake up every january with
    80, 000 I know for sure I am going to make without working. Easily I am over 100k with little effort. I am not a manager most of the managers are young ###s that need the power rush and that is not my game. I sell cause I like helping seniors with their issues. It is a great job and I love it.

• Ge
    gene5129 Oct 06, 2009

WOW 2 complaints? Think of that! Are we serious about this with 150 million people out there of working age. We all are going to have bad experiences with one company or another lets make sure it is a legitamate compaint before we open our mouths or set our fingers to walking. I am not an agent of any insurance co. so I am not on anyones side it just seems out of place when a couple of busybodies want to sound off.

nonkoolaiddrinker2009 Oct 07, 2009

There is more than 2 complaints. Bankers has the 2nd highest complaint rate for LTC in the world. The #1 company for complaints is Conseco which coincidentally owns Bankers Life.

For more info go to scams.com and look up bankers life. There are several hundred posts of complaints there too!

gooser Oct 15, 2009

I'm currently trying to pass the state exam. I've taken it twice now and have actually done worse the second time than the first time. My cousin has worked for Bankers for six months now and has already made over 60, 000. Anyways, he is really wating me to join but is getting a little impatient with me. The exam is not easy. I wish I new a good strategy for studdying for the exam...Anyone?

• Jh
    jhohan Nov 06, 2009

This Job Is Like A Blind Date...After a while I'm in a relation now i don't want to ruin my relation because of this job, thanks for input.

• Ir
    ireallydislikeBankers Dec 17, 2009

DO NOT BUY A LONG TERM CARE POLICY FROM BANKERS. My mother purchased a long term care policy back in 2001 and has since then been paying monthly premiums. They reimbursed her for home health care services back in 2002/2003. They were helpful, payed promptly, reimbursed her for premiums paid once she hit the elimination period and were good to deal with. NOW, I have been dealing with them for almost 2 years trying to get them to pay benefits on the policy. It is one stall after another. It took 6 months and submitting the information 3x before they started paying. I had to inform them when the elimination period was satisfied. It took months for them to respond. She was having the premium deducted from her checking account. When they received the letter from me that the elimination period was satisfied and she shouldn't pay premiums anymore, someone "erroneously" stopped the automatic withdrawal from her checking and started billing for monthly premiums. We had to keep paying the premiums for more than 10 months so they would not cancel the policy before they straighted out the waiver of premium on her policy. Some claims submitted are paid promptly. Other take months, I have to call several times, never get the same person twice. I have had to submit letters through the State Attorney General twice in order to get a response from them. THE LATEST, they "erroneously" paid my mother's home health provider rather than reimbursing her even though they don't have an Assignment of Benefits. We are waiting reimbursement of close to $10, 000 for months of home health services and premiums. I can't pay the home health provider because I'm waiting for reimbursement from Bankers and then Bankers pays the provider "erroneously". Last Friday they informed me they overnighted 3 checks for claims. It is now Thursday and I still haven't received the checks. We are on the west coast so by the time I can check the mail, their office is closed. They do not return phone calls. I have left voicemails on "supervisor" answering machines and don't get return calls. I have never seen a more incompetent bunch of people in my life. They have more excuses, more ways to screw with old people. It is unreal how they treat people. They only way I have been able to get quick and accurate service from them was to submit claims and requests through the Attorney General's Office. So, if you are considering purchasing a policy from Bankers Life, DON'T. Oh yeah, I tried going through the local Banker's representative. He tried helping me the first time I called. The next time, he gave me the phone number that he used to reach the home office in Chicago. So, no help at all. I never bothered wasting my time with him again.
    Dealing with Bankers is not worth the incredible hassles you will have to deal with.

• Sm
    Smarterthanthat77 Jan 09, 2010

I have an interview coming up on Monday. From reading some of these comments I feel that even so there are more negative than positive the ones stating that this is a good opportunity and some of the bad feedback comes from LAZINESS seems to be correct. I’m not saying that this is the career for me or that I might be any better at it than anyone else but I happen to know that 6figure incomes don’t come from telling people that this is too hard and they scammed you. Anyone who can be caught up in a scam should probably rethink their decision making skills and how highly they consider themselves. If you want money for nothing you can join in around the country the people with cardboard signs and cups hoping for the best. If you go into something blindly expect to be taken advantage of know what you need to research what you don’t know and pinpoint exactly what you will be required to do versus what you are able to do. If your strong suit is not sales getting into a position strictly based on sales and commissions is DUMB that would be YOUR fault not the companies fault and you were not scammed you chose that path for yourself.

• 46
    466810v Jan 16, 2010

I also have an interview Monday. I was a little on the hesitant side because they called me two minutes after I sent my resume. However, I think that I will attend this interview. I have nothing to lose. I am already broke so if they are a scam, I have nothing to give them. To be blunt I apply for jobs to make money not to give money. If say they allow to have the money taken out of what I make after I start working there, then more power to them. They would have given me a great job they would deserve the money considering the supposed amount a person would make, a small fee would be in order.

For example I used to be a waitress, but I had to get a liquor license before I could waitress. This has a fee and I had to take the class downtown, but they let me work as a hostess until I had the money to take the class. Now I know that a alcohol license is a very small fee, but when your broke money is hard to come by.

If this job position I applied for needs money upfront I simply do not have it. There problem solved.

• Jh
    jhovah Jan 29, 2010

All jobs are "ponzi" schemes.

The person on the bottom makes next to nothing, that persons manager makes more, the general manager makes more than the manager, the District Manager makes more than the GM, the VPs make more than the DMs, and the CEO make sall the money. I think that sums up the corporate structure for the entire US economy whether you are in a salaried/hourly position or 100% commission.

Chew on that for a minute.

I just signed up and am starting the licensing process. I just hope the leads are legit. If there are ANY unethical sales tactics to take advantage of my elders I will walk out. I will keep you posted.

• Sh
    SHADOOBEE Feb 01, 2010

iI RECENTLY TOOK OUT A MEDICARE SUPPLEMENT POLICY WITH BANKERS MAINLY BECAUSE I TRUSTED THE AGENT WHO SAID THAT PLAN J WOULD COVER EVERYTHING THAT I WOULD NEED FOR A SURGERY I WAS HAVING (BANKERS WOULD COVER EVERY PENNY THAT MEDICARE WOULD NOT COVER IS WHAT THE AGENT FOR BANKERS TOLD ME)...WHEN I STARTED CALLING COMPANIES TO CHECK OUT THE EQUIPMENT I NEEDED AFTER SURGERY, I WAS TOLD OVER AND OVER AGAIN THAT MEDICARE DID NOT COVER WHAT I NEEDED, SO, THEREFORE, BANKERS ONLY PICKS UP WHAT MEDICARE DOES NOT PAY...SO THE BANKERS AGENT LIED TO ME (OR MAYBE HE WAS SO DUMB HE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT)!!! I HAD GIVEN THE AGENT A CHECK TO START MY POLICY ON JAN. 1, 2010, WHEN I FINALLY GOT THE POLICY IT HAD STARTED THE POLICY AS OF NOVEMBER 1. 2009...AND HAD GONE INTO MY CHECKING ACCOUNT AND TOOK OUT MY MONEY FOR 2 MORE MONTHS...AND I KNEW NOTHING ABOUT THIS UNTIL IT WAS TOO LATE AND THE MONEY WAS ALREADY GONE OUT OF MY ACCOUNT...I WAS LIVID!!! I CALLED THE AGENT AND HE ACTED LIKE IT WAS NO BIG DEAL AND SOMETIMES THINGS LIKE THAT HAPPENED (IS THAT AN ANSWER FOR COVERING UP THEFT???). I TOLD THE AGENT I WANTED ALL OF MY MONEY BACK IN MY ACCOUNT ASAP...SO HE CALLS ME BACK LATER AND TELLS ME HE WORKED IT OUT WITH BANKERS TO NOT CHARGE ME FOR ANY MONTHLY PAYMENTS UNTIL MARCH 2010...AND I SAID I WANTED MY MONEY BACK IN MY ACCOUNT, PERIOD (I HAD ALREADY MADE UP MY MIND BY THIS TIME THAT I WAS CANCELLING AS SOON AS I COULD GET MY MONEY BACK, BUT I DIDN'T TELL THE AGENT BECAUSE I DID NOT TRUST HIM BY NOW AND THOUGHT HE AND BANKERS WERE UNETHICAL IN THEIR BUSINESS TRANSACTIONS)...I DID FINALLY GET MY MONEY BACK AND I IMMEDIATELY MAILED THE POLICY BACK TO THE BANKERS OFFICE NEAR ME THAT MY AGENT WORKED OUT OF (I WROTE CANCELLED AS OF 2/1/10 ON EVERY PAGE OF THE POLICY I MAILED TO THEM (RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED)...I MAILED POLICY ON 1/26/10 AND THEY SIGNED RETURN RECEIPT 1/27/10, AND I KNEW BANKERS WAS DUE TO TAKE MONEY BACK OUT OF MY ACCOUNT AS OF 2/2/10, AND I SENT THE CANCELLED POLICY BACK IN PLENTY OF TIME FOR THEM TO STOP THE BANK DRAFT COMING OUT OF MY ACCOUNT, BUT WHEN I CALLED THE MAIN OFFICE IN CHICAGO TODAY 2/1/10, THEY SAID THEY KNEW NOTHING ABOUT MY POLICY BEING CANCELLED AND THAT THE BANK DRAFT HAD ALREADY BEEN ISSUED!!! THIS COMPANY IS GOING TO GIVE ME A STROKE!!! SO NOW, I HAD TO MAIL ALL OF THE COPIES I HAD MADE OF POLICY (I MADE MORE) TO THE CHICAGO OFFICE (RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED) TODAY...IF I DO NOT GET MY MONEY BACK ASAP, I WILL REPORT THEM TO EVERYONE I CAN!!! THEY MESSED UP MY CHECKING ACCOUNT AND THEY DIDN'T EVEN CARE THAT THEY WERE ILLEGALLY TAKING MONEY OUT OF MY ACCOUNT, WITHOUT MY PERMISSION...I CALLED MY BANK TO TRY TO STOP IT, BUT BANK SAID IT WAS TOO LATE, NOTHING THEY COULD DO. PLEASE DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY, THEY THOUGHT I WOULDN'T CATCH WHAT THEY TRIED TO PULL, BUT NOT ALL PEOPLE ON MEDICARE ARE OLD AND STUPID...I FEEL SORRY FOR OLDER PEOPLE THAT CAN'T FEND FOR THEMSELVES...BECAUSE I KNOW THESE VULTURES HAVE TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF THEM IF THEY COULD GET AWAY WITH IT!!!

• Sq
    sqinca Feb 14, 2010

I have worked as an agent for BLC for a little over six months. I feel bad when I read here that some seniors are having difficulty with their benefits. I often take service calls in our sales office and work hard to promptly assist callers. I do not get paid to help these clients but am committed to helping seniors. For those of you who do not want to work on commission, then pass on this opportunity as it is not for everyone. It is very hard work, it's a lot to learn and you must be committed to the career. Also, you must be honest and genuine to be successful. I have been very successful at Bankers, am making good money and happy to have a career where my income is climbing in this otherwise declining economy. Love or hate their recruiting process; how many interviews have you been invited too? For those of you bashing the fact that you have to spend money initially to become licensed; if you go to work as a realtor, mortgage broker, property and casualty agent, lawyer, doctor, CPA, financial planner, etc...you must FIRST spend money and time to obtain your license and or designation!!!

• Bo
    Bonehead69 Feb 20, 2010

They called me today too.. Hahaha, the lady spoke really broken English and talked so fast, wouldn't answer my questions. I knew right away something wasn't right. Sure enough ol' Google to the rescue. I think it's fairly safe to assume the ones on here defending this company are the same jack-offs running it. ### pukes. People, I know times are tough. Don't make them tougher for yourself, stay away from bullcrap like this. It doesn't take a well educated person to see that this is complete B.S. Save yourself some heartache and money.. USE COMMON SENSE. Just because someone calls you and tells you that flying frogs are going to take over the world does not mean its true. COMMON SENSE folks.

• Ci
    cidicpixel Feb 20, 2010

Look up any company... You will always find complaints and people with issues. You can not make everyone happy all of the time. I have been with Bankers for about 13 months now. I have worked my tail off and no matter how badly I needed a sale I was still honest with the prospective clients I had appointments with. I am a very soft selling agent. When I walk out of a house with an application you can almost always guarantee that the client is not only happy with the insurance he/she bought but can afford it and it’s suitable for there needs. There are cut throat people everywhere you go. Unfortunately some of those people work for this company too. Giving agents like myself a bad reputation with each person they touch..

I focus on Medicare supplemental insurance most and have seen my clients claims paid out in just days, never weeks!! That doesn't mean that there is never a problem or a breakdown in communication. The larger the company the larger the cracks. So yes... just like any company things can and do fall into those cracks. Having a diligent agent following up on those things will make all the difference in the world!

Now for those of you looking for a job... No, it’s not easy to go from salary/hourly to commission only. No, its not an easy job. If it was everyone would be doing it! I must say I was scared to death when I first started, but I told myself that I could do it. That I had to do it! I left myself no room to doubt my success. No.. I didn't shake anything up, or light the office up, but I made it through the first year making a simple 31K, doing something fun, and interesting, and rewarding. That’s more then I made the year prior, doing something I hated. I was the only female agent in my office to qualify to go on and all expenses paid trip to Chicago, and I had a blast!

Bankers is a very strong, stable, quick in paying claims, no bull company that I am proud to be apart of! I seriously believe that there are only more people complaining then praising because the successful agents and happy clients don't have the time to worry about the whiners and complainers that you have to walk on eggshells around to make happy. Neither do I... But some of the statements that I have seen on here are complete fables! Others are the cause of there own problems and few are real legitimate complaints. We have a lot of drama queens in this world. Get out of your own way and take responsibility of your own actions!

• Dk
    DK1984 Mar 17, 2010

I was contacted by them recently and scheduled an interview. I did the research, found a lot of negative feedback and sent them an email asking them if the jobs they were talking about are accounting salaried jobs. Never got a response, and I didn't show up for an interview. Now that same person send me an email asking to reschedule, without responding to my questions. I just ignore them.
    Anyway, I'm glad I did the research.
    They are same ### no different than Primerica.
    As for some of their agents here writing that they own their own business I wanted to make a comment about it. I have my own part-time business that I treat more like a hobby than a job. I do deliver non-CPA accounting services to my clients. When you work for an insurance company don't fool yourself into thinking you own your business. As a business owner I can tell you this - I am in perfect control of how much I charge my clients, when the services are delivered, and I am in position to change anything I want. What do you control, as a business owner? Do you control their fees? Do you control the timing of the delivery of their service? What are you in control of? Nothing! So, how can you call yourself a business owner? I call this wishful thinking!
    Personally I have more respect towards commissioned sales people at Best Buy than I do towards sales people who sell financial products for companies like Bankers Life or Primerica. At least those people are honestly helping you out and can influence timing of the delivery of service or product I'm buying.

• Er
    Eric B. Johnston Mar 20, 2010

I worked the system to the best of my ability for six months and made over 3000 phone calls to set appointments. Some agents made money if they were on the right path but many new agents were not given the necessary connections. I attended all the training sessions and read many books on cold call selling and having a positive attitude and I still ended up spending more than I earned. It is possible to make money with Bankers but those that do are the few. In the time I was there I saw a lot of people come and go. The turn over rate is about 85%. As a husband and father I could not wait for the money to start coming in at some future point. Bankers may work for some but it did not work for me and it was not due to lack of motivation, work ethic or attitude. It is an industry that requires a long gestation before the benefits are realized. I dont belive that they are crooks but only opportunists that take advantage of the turnover in the industry. I could elaborate on their methods but it would take more space than allowed.
    Eric Johnston

• Of
    Offended2010 Mar 25, 2010

Thank you to all. I am so glad I googled this company. I just got sent a invitation to apply for the "management position". This is not the first time I have seen this type of insurance scam. But I am glad I searched first before they got any more of my info. It sucks that these type of companies are out there, especially right now with so many people out of work. Also, I don't think any company should be allowed to prey on seniors or retired persons. So, many people have already lost most if not all of their savings because of what happened to the market. I hope with all these new policies going into place they go after these types of companies not only for the potential consumers but for potiental employees. Thank you all again that posted. I will watch out for any of my family or friends that maybe solictied by this company.

• Ba
    bansi Mar 28, 2010

I realized it the moment they called..Its a SCAM!
    And yeah, I would like to meet the person somewhere above in these comments list who claims to be a PhD and works at Bankers! What did you do your PhD in? Scams?

• Ke
    Keith May 14, 2010

My 75 year old parents have been paying $204.00 a month since 2003, beleiving they could get home modifications when they needed it (the only bathrooms are upstairs). I filed the initial claim March 15, they have stalled until April 26, when they said the claim was approved, and the check was in the mail. April 27, they sent a letter saying the claim could not be processed until they recieved the actual bill for the lift, the policy does not state costs are to be incured out-of-pocket, my parents do not have $3000.00 up front and the medical suply company will not bill. They have been robbed!

• Vo
    VolklChick Jun 07, 2010

Super cheesy bunch of door to door insurance sales people in cheap suits. RUN, do not walk away from any "interviews" for this company - it is just a scam. No pay, commission only. I went to a group interview (first mistake) and was the only person "excused" from going further - I have a JD and a BA from the University of Michigan - the only people invited to stay longer were an unemployed carpenter with a GED who had about 3 teeth, a used car salesman and a woman who ran the cash register at a Speedway gas station - TOTAL SCAM. They don't want smart people, only people very desperate for making a living, which you won't find with this company. Beware the "smooth talking" branch manager with promises of 6 figure salaries, you will work you butt off for NOTHING. You'd make more money working at McDonalds, and work less hours. Scary.

• Ol
    Olivia Palmieri Jun 08, 2010

I am one of several attorneys involved in a class action against Bankers Life related to its senior sales practices. As part of our investigation, I am interested in speaking with anyone (except current employees/agents of Bankers Life) that has factual information related to the practices of Bankers Life. In particular, I am interested in speaking with ex-agents/employees who worked for a Bankers office in the South Central Division/Territory, Northeast Division/Territory, or Florida, although any office is appreciated. You can email me at [protected]@drllaw.com.

• Fu
    fulasmilez Jun 16, 2010

I think people need to learn how to form their own opinions based on information that they acquire, not based on others' opinions. I googled Bankers Life and Casualty Company to do a little research about them as a prospective employer. I come across this. I don't need biased opinions based on others' experiences. I need unbiased opinions that will provide me with the entire truth. So, no more blog-reading for me!

• Kr
    KristinaCecile Jun 24, 2010

Today I received a call from Bankers to set up an interview for me next week. I agreed to the time, and I was informed I would be receiving an email with more information. In retrospect, I should have expected something like this. The woman on the phone did not elaborate on the job position or the company during the call, but it didn't register with me at the time because I was running late for something and in a hurry when I received the call. Later, I read the email she sent me, repeating the date and time of the interview, with instructions to dress in business attire, bring my resume, and to bring a list of questions. So, I began to research the company for these questions. I think they set themselves up for this, because when I typed in "Bankers Life and Casualty Company" the first thing on Google that popped up was "Bankers Life and Casualty Company scam." That certainly raises a red flag. I've also read that there are group interviews, and study materials and an exam that you have to pay for out of your own pocket. It is not a salaried job, but commission-based. I understand that there are people out there that "whine and complain" and that blogs are probably not the most reliable of sources. My advice is to research and pick out the facts from the opinions, and fit it with personal factors before making a decision. Here are mine:

First off, the woman failed to inform me that it was a sales position at an insurance company. She informed me that she read my resume and that she thought I would be a good fit. Which makes me wonder...um, did she even READ my resume? I have a B.F.A in Graphic Design. I'm not a salesperson. Selling insurance was never in the plan for my life. Also, the group interviews and paying out of your own pocket for the exam. I've already paid money out the nose for formal education, why would I want to pay more for something that is nothing close to what I went to school for? Then there's the commission, and that does NOT interest me. As an artist, I understand commissions perfectly well. If you don't make the painting, you don't get the dough. I've heard the argument, well, if you're not getting paid, it's because you're not working hard enough, if you do you can succeed. But the sad fact is, not everyone can succeed with commissions...it's NOT easy. Of course there are those that can do it, and that's great for them, but they are very few that can. The whole, "You have to starve before you can get the money, " is just not going to work for me. It's not starving that worries me, I can handle not eating, I could probably benefit from it. BUT, I have student loans to pay back, and I really DON'T want to default on them.

So, like I've outlined above, think about the facts and think about how they fit you before making a decision...don't think about the whining, but legitimately think about whether or not this sounds like the right thing for you.