AVG Technologies Logo

AVG Technologies

Having problems with AVG Technologies?

AVG Technologies reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Oct 15, 2008. The latest review Unauthorized credit card charges was posted on Oct 6, 2021. The latest complaint trying to sell products I dont need! was resolved on Dec 07, 2014. AVG Technologies has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 197 reviews. AVG Technologies has resolved 37 complaints.

AVG Technologies Customer Service Contacts

+1 844 259 8811 (USA & Canada)
+44 800 652 4940 (United Kingdom)
+61 281 034 937 (Australia)
+32 33 697 755 (Belgium)
+31 793 630 063 (Netherlands)
+351 938 344 498 (Portugal)
+62 216 385 0091 (Indonesia)
+966 14 163 522 (Saudi Arabia)
+65 65 659 910 (Singapore)
+27 861 746 3649 (South Africa)
+82 233 970 440 (South Korea)
+54 114 116 0539 (Argentina)
Pikrtova 1737/1a

Avda. Miguel de Cervantes, 37, 41400 Ecija, Spain

Switzerland
Münchensteinerstrasse 43, 4052 Basel, Switzerland

India
702, Supreme Chambers, Off Veera, Desai Road, Andheri (W), Mumbai 400 053, India

Indonesia
Jl. Hasyim Ashari № 125 B, Roxy, Mas Blok E2-4, 10150 Jakarta Pusat, Indonesia

Saudi Arabia
P.O. Box 14386, Gulf Commercial, Centre Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Singapore
№ 2, Jurong East Street 21, № 02-187, IMM Building, Singapore, 609601, Singapore

South Africa

P.O. Box 17706, South Zone, Jebel Ali, Free Zone, UAE, Dubai

Argentina
Paysandú 821 1 B, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Brazil
Av. Engenheiro Luis Carlos Berrini, 1681 – Cidade Moncoes, San Paulo – SP 04571-01, Brazil

Chile
Luis Thayer Ojeda 0180, Providencia, Santiago, Chile

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with AVG Technologies Customer Service. Initial AVG Technologies complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for AVG Technologies above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about AVG Technologies. Discuss the issues you have had with AVG Technologies and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

AVG Technologies Complaints & Reviews, Page 9

AVGavg secure search software hijacks my homepage

I downloaded some free software that had avg attached to it. It offered me the avg toolbar and search engine. I unchecked it but the avg installed anyway. I went through the uninstall process and although I was able to get rid of the toolbar, the search engine hijacked my homepage and wouldn’t allow me to reset it. I got in contact with the company today and asked them to walk me through removing their software and they were not able to help me. They had me use their own website’s remover tool which didn’t work at all. When I asked to speak to the tech’s supervisor, I was put on hold for about 10 minutes. While I was on hold, I googled how to remove their software and found my way to microsoft’s fixit program. I ran it and it completely got rid of the avg software.

Avg PC TuneUpterrible customer service

I purchased the avg tuneup and antivirus software together at our local navy exchange and loaded the software. Shortly after that I had to reinstall the windows system and all the software. This was when I realized that I had, during a desk clean up, thrown out the product key code for the pc tuneup software. My fault, nobody to blame for me on that issue; however when I asked avg to help provide the product key number, they acted like I was speaking martian. I used the "ask julia" for direct contact and was given an email address that has expired. Next I went customer support and have gotten deer in the headlights answers now for five weeks. All I need is the product key code to reinstall the software. So then I resorted to sending scans and copies of the receipt to prove purchase but the only thing I got was answers that seemed to me were for something else, like a computer was sending out messages that seemed to come close to my problem but not really if you know what I mean. Now i've had to take off all avg software from my computer, if figured if this is the support for the tuneup software, then the antivirus must be worst and who knows what kind of virus' are getting into my system that this company won't fix. My recommendation is that you don't purchase this software because customer service is not going to help you if you ever have any problems.

3 Responses
      • Ka
        kailash patitripathi Nov 08, 2013

Sir,
        reference com plane dated 28/10/2013, regarding parched of avg pc tune up of RS, 1199/- For two years, money was already deducted from my account, but i have not yet received any invoice nor product key, therefore i would like to request behalf of you, kindly send my invoice and product key as soon as possible,
        kailash pati tripathi
        g.k.shoping complex, ganeshguri charli, guwaghti, assam, [india]
        pin code, 781006, phone no, [protected]

• Ka
        kailash pati tripathi Oct 30, 2013

dear sir,
        this inform you that, dated-28/10/13 i was parched avg pc tune up pkg for two years, Rs-1199/-but, i have not yet received any invoice nor product key, money already deducted from my accounts, therefore kindly send my invoice and product key, soon,
        yours, ,
        my address,
        kailashpati tripathi, c/o jyotsna store,
        g.k.shoping complex ganeshguri charli,
        guwahati, assam [india] pin code 781006
        m email id, [email protected]
        phone no, [protected]

• Ca
        Carole Jan 18, 2012

I started to use AVG antivirus software because I though it was free. But one day I found they charged me $39.99, so I uninstalled it. I don't think they will give me a refund, so users beware!

AVGtech buddy/online tech support

This complaint concerns avg's tech support services that are not free. I was experiencing some difficulties, even though I had been using their free anti-virus and thought that I would be able to get their online tech help to fix it. I wound up paying for the online consultation and then continued with their tech buddy service. The result was that my computer was in worse shape after they worked on it than it was before I contacted them and I am still demanding a total refund, since they did not deliver on their services.

I have been in contact with them and they know that all they need do is send me a total refund. I might have to engage a consumer agency to get them to do the right thing.

6 Responses
          Ross408 Jan 22, 2016

I was a long-time AVG user (6 years + I think) and had been quite satisfied with their products. I was a fan; their products worked smoothly and protected my systems quite well. I install new software myself so that I can control the parameters. I'd noticed that over the past few years, the premium, paid-for, CD version of AVG, which I purchased at Office Depot were increasingly hard to install and required assistance from AVG. That's not a good sign. Then the roof fell in. I purchased the "full house" 2015 version and took it to the office to install. When opened, the CD appeared to contain only two files, neither of which I could open. A phone number was printed on the package sleeve for tech support, so I phoned them. In short, I was scammed for quite a sum of money. "Tech Buddies" spent two hours on the phone with me, screwing up my systems (multi-user license). I eventually repaired most of their damage and alerted Chase Bank to withhold payment. Their fraud rep. told me that he has had multiple calls daily regarding "Tech Buddies." My faith in products bearing the AVG name is now shattered. I don't plan to ever again pay for any of their products and may yet discontinue use of the free version. I just don't trust them anymore. Ross

• Lo
          Longfisher Apr 11, 2013

I initially stayed away from AVG Tech Buddy as I was unsure what my money would buy. Then when the business was doing better and when my local IT guy didn't return my calls I decided to try them. I plunked down $200 for a year's worth of support.

I COULD NOT RECOMMEND THEM MORE HIGHLY. THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT.

Most of my problems were with either toolbars or browser extensions that download with you download a browser or some how attach to your browser if you download an add-blocker. They are essentially Trojans or viruses.

AVG Tech buddy has been called in three times for this sort of user-originated errors and they were flawless...absolutely flawless...and totally polite. Only once, today, did I have to work with someone whose accent I had trouble with. But if you can't understand them well just use the chat feature to communicate with them. Anyone who can read and write english will have no trouble with them at all.

David W. Walters, Ph.D.
          [protected]

Rober Morrison Aug 31, 2012

my avg tech buddie said no problem our level 9 tech can fix problem loading avg CD, Then he wanted $180.00 for his work,
          and my hard drive was curropt and no good, Told them f*** you and took my computer the have it checked at a help desk
          And Guess what nothing was wrong with my computer !!! I'm contacting the BBB on this business of fixing something that
          is not broken!!!

Ron - Pear Harbor Aug 26, 2012

Perfect comment and well worded. Consumers beware, this product is not a computer protection product, it's a savvy fraud designed to lure you into the feeling that your computer is protected and running well.

Ron - Pear Harbor Aug 26, 2012

Have had the same experience. Hope they have people smart enough to read these complaints and fit their own customer service.

• Ac
          ACalderon Aug 23, 2012

Terrible business practices. I contacted AVG Tech Buddies to help solve a hard drive issue. I explained the issue and made myself very clear that I did not want to pay $100 if they are not able to fix the problem, or if they are just going to recommend I take my computer in for service. They assured me their techs could handle any issue and that it was best if I went with their $199 12 month service.
          Again, I stressed that my focus was on the problem at hand, but would pay the $199, but I wanted my computer fixed. "No problem" they said.
          When I was connected to the service rep, he took me through the process and concluded he couldn't do any more. "You need to take it in to a service department to get fixed". What????? Are you kidding me???? I contacted a local tech that came to my house and determined the hard drive was dead. I ordered a new hard drive and called AVG for a refund BECAUSE THEY DID NOTHING. I spoke with a very nice rep, explained the situation and he said no problem, I totally understand. The next day, Tracy from AVG TechBuddy Escalations said a refund was not possible, and that AVG would just refund half since I did speak with their service rep for 15 seconds and they couldn't do anything!
          In short, find another service company. AVG is not customer oriented and is more concerned with taking your money than they are providing your service.

AVGnot fit for purpose/ terrible support

I paid good money for this so called anti-virus software.
        It let several virus's onto my pc despite being automatically update and scanned daily.
        After 2 lengthy online "chats" with their so called help people they gave me the number (toll fee lol) of an expert. This guy then asked for £80 to remove the virus that AVG failed to stop!!!
        Needless to say I have asked for my money back. Apparently this takes 3 weeks!
        Like they give you 3 weeks to pay when your subscription ends... not.
        This is my experience of AVG.
        My advice is AVOID!!!"!

• Th
            Thomas Sandoe Jun 09, 2012

All of the complaintives have a ligitimate complaints. I just got an alert that the site I was on has tracking cookie, or security threat.
            The site I was on was AVG complaints !! Ithink I'll ask for a refund to buy another anti-virus, a good one !!

AVGstay away from avg.com, they are a fraud

On january 30, 2011, avg charged my visa $64.98 I told them I never ordered this item and they refunded my money on february 4, 2011. So far, so good. Then these cheaters again charged my visa $64.98 on march 22, 2011. They will not reund my money and insist they did not charge me. My visa bill says they did. Stay away from avg.com they are a fraud.

Charles D. Hensley Feb 16, 2013

I only have one problem with AVG. I would like to have their email address, they have mine. I need to discuss a problem by mail and then receive a message in return. If you search long enough, you can send an email, but only a few words, but not enough to deal with the problem. I do not wish to go online an chat or see what other people are doing.

What is wrong with having an email address for paying customers?

AVGup dates

I started out with avg free 7.0. It was all good back then, but, now it has became avg 2012! And what a mess!
            It waits for you to go online and start browsing to update, and updates 2-4 times a day, if I let it! Lol
            When it starts this chit, it locks up my pc, or slows it down to a crawl, I have to disconnect from internet to stop the
            Crazy thing! Its a constant battle! Thats the free one. I hear about the dummys that payed for it, and it scans
            While their trying to work, an locks um up also!
            Now for the whats up with avg uninstall!!! Well...
            You have to go online an get the tool to do that! Omg
            Introuble2

AVG — e-mail address

Here's the e-mail address I used to complain about that company: [protected]@avg.com. I sent them three e-mail...

AVGbilling practices

Avg has obtained my bank account information from my computer with some sort of their own virus. Without me providing my bank info to them, in the last 2 weeks they have twice tested my bank account with fake ach transaction holds. I never give ach info as credit cards are a bit safer on line. I had never heard of them until the first ach hold appeared on my account. Sounds like they have already stolen my bank info from my own home computer and i'm concerned now I have to close my bank account because of them or risk a further bigger ripoff!

4 Responses
                  chrlshlmn Jul 08, 2014

I don't think it was avg, I do beleive it was a company called gruruaid.I came into the same issues a few years ago.

• Ga
                  Gabby Haws 33 Jul 08, 2014

AVG is the WORST by far...PC protection system out there. The other day, I my existing two year package was expiring, so I installed the temporary one month package. The next day I thought, I might as well purchase another two year plan again for $55, and be done with it. When I went to install it, it cancelled everything out.. This happened about a couple of days later.
                  I then placed a call to the crooks of AVG; where they wanted to up sell me to a 300 package. I told them that my computer was just fine, and that all I wanted was the program that I had now paid for. They refused to do so, and cited that I needed to get their package to clear the "Trojans". I told them that my computer was fine; but that I required the package that I bought. They refused and started getting rude and arrogant about it; and then one operator slammed the phone down on my ear, and proceeded to inflect a number of viruses into my computer. When I called to ask for a supervisor, they said that he was away. Then I asked for his name...they refused to give it to me. My computer looked damaged now and I had to spend a lot of time with a separate company to get it back. NEVER EVER, EVER...use AVG. THESE PEOPLE ARE NOTHING SHORT OF DISPICABLE THUGS who will stop at nothing to rob you. I am now going ahead with a law suite.

chrlshlmn Nov 07, 2013

Need my refund from avg.

chrlshlmn Nov 07, 2013

I am now waiting on a refund from avg.My account was debited without my knowledge or authorization and put me in overdraft fees.I donot even use avg products anymore.I had to get a new debit card number.

Dri*AVG Online Store Element5. Info MN — duplicate chges on credit card

I have recently taken over household bill paying. Reviewing credit card purchases I have found questionable...

www.Avg.Com Njcosia CY — unautherized deduction from my personal bank account

The company mentioned above took $35.13 out of my personal bank account on 03/17/2011 without my approval, I...

Jamestown

AVG Internet Securityfailure to provide refund

Renewed subscription to avg intenet security and added a new component in december of 2010. The new version did not work well so I requested a refund within the 30 days. Had a terrible time contacting avg; I received no response to my emails through customer support (You cannot call directly unless you puchase an optional expensive support package). They finally agreed to refund my money after multiple emails and calling sales (Avg's 'contacts' link on the website does not work). I later received an email prompting me to confirm my refund and did so. And then I waited... No refund. I contacted avg again and they said I never confirmed so I could not have the refund. For the first time in my life I contact the bbb and filed a complaint. Several weeks later I received an email that included a letter from avg apologizing and promising a refund within 3-4 weeks. I accepted this offer through bbb and they closed the file. Guess what... !?! No refund!!! I have tried to recontact bbb, but have not yet received a response from them either. I cannot imagine a company with such poor customer service continuing to have customers.

AVG AntiVirusconstant harassment

On feb. 2, 2011, I signed up with avg as I got rid of spy hunter for their deceitful practices. It turns out that avg is no better. They are obnoxious, pushy, scam artists. Since feb. 4, they interrupt me while working pushing their ''updated'' anti virus. Funny how they didn't mention this updated version on feb. 2. Today, april 14, was the last straw. They got into my screen with a big, flashy warning that my computer had so many things wrong with it that I should run the program right away lest I lose everything. I knew it was a trick because there is nothing wrong with my computer, but ran it anyway, and as I suspected, they found all kinds of errors with my registry, with this, that and the other and avg wanted me to purchase their updated version. I will demand refund of my money as soon as I finish typing this complaint, and I will give them five days for a refund. If I do not receive it, I will report them to the bbb and file a complaint with small claims court.

Respond

AVG Freedon't ever purchase avg security suite

I bought avg security suite about 3 years ago. The company offers a contract for approximately $80 for two years of service. I resubscribed on september 29, 2010.

In december 2010, one of my unsuspecting friends sent an email message to me that contained the dreaded mighty magoo virus, and I didn't even know it! So, of course, I opened my wonderful avg program, to find out why the software hadn't worked. I was rudely awakened when it showed that I was not covered! What's worse is that, because of the mm virus, I couldn't even download the program from their website. What?

So, I took the time to submit a formal email complaint via avg's website. Long story short: they told me nothing! They actually said that they couldn't help me and didn't even attempt to troubleshoot the problem, to help me to deal with it, or to make me "whole" in an acceptable manner.

So, I replied that I expected a full refund. Their pitiful response? Since I had not submitted my complaint within 30 days of purchase, they could not process a refund... Not even a partial refund! I screamed into the phone, "the product didn't stop working within 30 days of purchase, you ###!" of course, that helped even less, but it made me feel better.

The bottom line is: never look a gift horse in the mouth, and don't buy this rip-off program!

AVG 2011 Antivirusgot rootkit from their antivirus

I purchased avg 2011 antivirus thinking it would help protect my personal information when I went online, 2 weeks later after the software was installed on my laptop I contracted a rootkit while on google chrome. My computer (Purchased by my brother just before he passed away) is not operable and may not be fixable. When I contacted avg about it, they sent me instructions asking me to send them various types of information from my computer, luckily I wasn't that stupid. When I told them I wanted a refund they told me it would take two-three weeks. That was 5 weeks ago and I still don't have a refund. I intend to contact the better business bureau and seek to file a class action suit if possible. How do people that work at these types of jobs (that suck money out of people) , live with themselves? How do you look in the mirror people? ###! I hope that someone might read any of these numerous complaints before purchasing from this disreputable company. Obviously they don't understand the old adage - what goes around, comes around!

4 Responses
                        • Ge
                          George Mar 02, 2011

As the viruses wouldn't let me go anywhere I decided to purchase this software, though never heard of it before. Unlike the persons who posted a comment above AVG 2011 had cleaned up my system from all the crap and I'm quite satisfied with it so far.
                          Also Why didn't you used the support service? I did it and it helped me a lot.
                          I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong untill I talked to a representative of the support.

• Br
                          browneyes45417102 Feb 22, 2011

avg in my experience is as bad as aol as far as getting deeeeeep into your computer programs.i uninstalled avg from a clients computer with intentions of installing another anti virus program for it to tell me there was still avg in the computer. i then had to 'flatline' the computer reinstall windows and start from fresh. IT WORKED. unless your hard drive is compromised your computer should still be operational. after installing windows your computer will be like a new one.i currently use the free avast anti virus now for over 6 months and everything is working fine. no compromises at all so far.

• Ge
                          George Feb 17, 2011

It has many useful and powerful utilities for PC scanning. Most of the antiviruses are just a fake, they really do nothing, just emulate performance. But not this one!

• Mi
                          mike58 Feb 07, 2011

Sorry to say you got ripoff. AVG 2011 Antivirus is a Rogue Anti-Spyware.
                          and virus and there website is fake. here is more info

AVG Internet Securityuseless

Downloaded AVG and paid for the 1 year plan. AVG shows it is updated, all systems working properly and protecting my computer. It shows the last time it was updated and even lets you run scans in addition to the scans it supposedly runs on its own. My computer is shot now. I called the tech support and was told AVG is not installed on my computer and rather than helping me get it installed they kept trying to sell me more expensive programs. This is a SCAM----DO NOT BUY AVG!!!

AVG Freefalse advertising

I have used avg free for years with thanks. i have excellent credit ido not need that all i want is the avg free as you advertise. never would have thought that you would scam. i will install some other. thanks. i have nothing more to say. thanks for former use but this is plainly a scheme to get people on credit. I do not need or want nothing more to say.

1 am shocked at this mess. who knew?i do not have twenty more words to say what good would it do.ok six more word, thanks and goodbye.

AVG AntiVirus — refund request ignored

Purchased avg antivirus. Year later received request to update which I did and paid. Six months later...

AVGno credit, no refund

Avg antivirus software block my printing job. I tried them by taking a $2.99 for someting. They charged me $54.00, so I complained. They offered me $29.99/year and refund the balance and one week free trial.

I have not downloaded their software yet. Nothing I can find an avg anti-virus avg protection in my computer.

• Je
                                Jerry Nelson Jun 06, 2015

bought a two year contract and after about 3 months decided it did not work for me ( I had to take my computer in twice with
                                mallwear I could not remove) so I canceled my account. They said they would refund 1 year so I accepted that and waited, well it's
                                been about 4 months and more than a few emails with no response. How can a company stay alive when this is the way they handle customer service, I GUESS IT'S BUYER BEWARE !

Dri*avg On Line Store Element 5. info MN — unknown credit card carges

Two charges show up on my rcent capital one statement One to dri*avg on line storeelement5. Info mn The...

Free AVG (Anti Virus Guard)did not work

My mom took a thumb drive to a drugstore that shall remain nameless until I can be sure the virus came from there, but she brought the drive home and it immediately crashed her computer. I watched a fully updated copy of free avg scan the infection "windo. Exe" and do nothing. I installed another free product from antivir.com and it removed all the infections. This really makes me mad, virus software should find known viruses. This is not an old virus, it has been known since 2009. There is just no excuse.

3 Responses
                                • VampKira Aug 18, 2010

I understand.. I really do. :) I guess what I meant was if it is a fully functional free version for XX number of days, and then if you like it you buy it and if you don't wish to purchase it, it reverts to a less functional Free version. Does that make sense?? lol.. But I do get your point. No disrespect intended.

• VampKira Aug 17, 2010

*shakes head* Why would I want to upgrade to a paid version if the free version showed poor performance? I mean...isn't the free version supposed to a good job so that you have incentive to purchase the paid version. Makes no kind of sense to me (Kathy Griffin) ;) Seriously though!! If that can't be understood...*shrugs* just goes to further my point..

• Na
                                  natxlaw May 25, 2010

The reason a piece of virus software must find viruses, whether or not it is free, is because it is being relied upon to do that. That is a legal concept called foreseeable detrimental reliance.

Why would I pay for the full version. It CANNOT have a better virus database than the free version as to do so would subject the company making it to liability. Making the pay version find viruses that the free version did not would be tantamount to:
                                  1. Telling someone software would take care of all viruses (foreseeable detrimental reliance)
                                  2. Knowing he/she had a virus
                                  3. then deliberately ignoring that virus in spite of the potential for harm.

If you promise to babysit your friends children for free, it does not mean you can let the children play with razor blades and trash bags. They are relying upon you for an important function and the fact that it was undertaken voluntarily does not absolve you of your responsibility to exercise reasonable care.

Besides the free version of the software I prefer found the virus and eliminated it. SpyBot S&D is the best spyware program in my opinion, and it is free as is Open Office, which I like better than MS Office. Stealth pilots argument is totally without merit.