Menu
AutoTrader
reviews & complaints

AutoTrader
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

25 complaints
11 resolved 14 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of AutoTrader. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
U

AutoTrader - Rip off

I purchased a vehicle from the autotrader site. 6 mos later I called autotrader and I listed the car for sale. I got a few calls the first 2 days and I checked my ad on autotrader and my car was listed. Then I didn't get any calls, two weeks later I went to the website my car cannot be found. I called customer service they said they cannot list my car because the old owner still has it listed as for sale. I own the car for the last 6 months. They told me we can list your car without the VIN number. When I bought the car the first thing I checked is the VIN before I purchase it. So how am I going to sell the car without the VIN, anyone who looks at the ad will be scared away thinking it is a stolen or rebuit vehicle. I told autotrader to list my ad with the VIN or return my money. My ad is still not listed on the site and they sent me an email sorry about your bad luck we don't refund. And the old owner still has the car listed as of 3/25/09 Car ID: AT-E9EF01D Feel free to check it out.

Note: If you buy a car from autotrader make sure the person who sells you the car signs for you a document that he is willing to remove his ad because autotrader will take your money and they will not list your car with the VIN and they have no control over their own website to remove fake ads.

N
11:47 am

AutoTrader - Awful company

This company, run by scam salesmen Brent, Ben and George sold my child a Volvo S40. 1. This car does not go into park without smacking on the gear. 2. The remote that was SUPPOSED to go with the car, was not given to her-so she can't open the trunk 3. They had to switch from one car to another and they gave her this 'trade' with an empty tank, after she had filled the other car that also did not work. 4. The lug nuts were so loose, that her tires could have fallen off while she was driving it. (The garage we took it to, asked, 'Which jerks sold her a car with loose lug nuts? They should lose their business! Their lack of professionalism could have killed the driver.') 5. The brights only work when they feel like it. 6. We have called and called and called and called and no one, and I mean NO ONE will return a phone call. We have left 20 messages. 7. Today, we called again and they hung up on us. 8. We bought a warranty and still have not received the warranty in the mail- after 2 months.

I don't care WHAT lines and lies they tell you about 'it being too bad that the PREVIOUS OWNERS of Accurate Automotive did not take care of their customers. And now these NEW owners are going to change the business into an honest business' It is all lies and scams. BEWARE of these SCAM SALESMEN!

J
4:12 pm
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Sunday September 21 I researched cars to purchase on AutoTrader.com, owned by TCI Holdings, Inc. I found a nice car ID: AT-EEAA4AB that I thought I might buy and phoned the "owner" at 561 371 6573. The owner said he wanted cash only, that the car had been stolen and reposed so he had to reduce the price. When I asked questions about it, he asked if I...

V
5:46 am
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I saw a 2005 Corolla listed for $3500 on Autotrader. I thought it was probably too good to be true, but e-mailed the seller out of curiosity. This car that was originally listed as being located only 10 miles or so away from where I live in Ohio was now located in Texas according to 'Greg'. How convenient... he said he had just moved. He also told me we'd...

R
8:31 pm

AutoTrader - Fake warranty, very bad service

Sells cars with fake warranty documents and won't honor any claims even though the repairs were approved by them. the phone number on the warranty card is bogus and the warranty is a fake self funded GUARANTEE scheme, saving them from any service costs under the warranties conditions. We bought a car from them and paid £290 to extend the warranty to a year.
They carried out the pre delivery work and service themselves and stamped the book themselves. When we got car home it had a fault caused by them, they agreed to reimburse the cost of repairs and recommended a local garage, the local garage said the unit had been fitted wrongly by them.

We sent them the invoice and have telephoned about ten times to be fed various holiday and sickness stories and told twice the cheque was in the post a couple of months have now passed and still no payment. We were given the impression that the vehicle came with a warranties and a service under the warranty conditions by a approved garage.

We paid £290 for a bogus warranty that they wont honor.

2 comments
J
Feb 09, 2010 6:06 am

Do Not take out insurance with autotrader>They upped my premium from 260 to 900 pounds because i didn, t get my no claims to them within two weeks.The service has been terrible and they try and exploit every loophole.God help me if i ever have to claim.DO NOT use them you will regret it. Mr J Edgar

T
Aug 13, 2008 10:56 am

beaware when u take car insurance from autotrader because when your policy runs out they automatic take your money out of bank and if u have a new card u get charged the directdedit charge to you so be aware

AutoTrader contacts