AT&T Rewards For Referralsdidn't pay referral reward

A Review updated:

I signed up with AT&T Referrals a little over a year ago. During the first few months I referred 3 family members and received prepaid visa cards totaling $75 ($25 for each referral).

A few months ago I referred my brother and put him on my referral list at the AT&T website. They were supposed to send him an email with a link for my referral info so he could click on it and order. The problem was he had no ISP at the time and couldn't receive emails. He gave me his Yahoo account info so I could access his emails. One day I noticed the referral email came from AT&T. Problem was it had someone else's referral number. I contacted AT&T, and they acted puzzled. Said they would look into it and get back to me but they never did. Soon, my brother received another email with someone else's referral number on it.

When my brother was ready to buy the online package, I did it for him - because he still didn't have internet service, and the lower prices were only available online, and I wanted to make sure I got my referral bonus. Of course, I used my referral account number. After completing this, I waited sufficient time to receive my referral bonus, but it never came. When I contacted AT&T, they told me my brother had to sign up at the referral site in order for me to receive my bonus, and it was now too late. I reminded them that he wasn't the referer; I was, and he wasn't interested in referring anybody but they told me I couldn't get it. I was ripped off! I will never refer anyone else to AT&T and will leave myself as soon as I find another ISP I can afford that isn't dial-up.

• S
      Jul 03, 2009

AT&T states that both people have to sign up for the refer-a-friend program. Since you did everything for your brother, perhaps he was never signed up.

• A
      Jul 03, 2009

"AT&T states that both people have to sign up for the refer-a-friend program"

The first 3 people I referred didn't have to - or want to - sign up for referrals. So I guess you are saying they changed the rules since then. In other words you need to read the TOS every time you sign someone up to see if the rules have changed? No Thanks. And besides, not everyone is interested in making referrals, so why should they have to sign up for something they aren't interested in? Why did AT&T send out 2 emails with someone else's referral number? Why don't they tell the person in the email that they need to sign up in order for the referer to get paid? ...Because it's a scam.

Not only that, their service has gone down while the costs have gone up. The help line appears to be designed to frustrate you to such extent that you will never call back again. The support techs work from a script and don't have a clue what they're talking about. They ask you to spend time checking this and checking that when you know nothing has changed on your end - it's that their service is down. They can never admit the problem is on their end.

AT&T sucks.

• S
      Jul 04, 2009

Maybe they screwed up, but it's not a scam. That word gets thrown around so much I believe many people don't know what it really means. Besides which, you said yourself you received 3 referral bonuses in the past. If it was a scam, you would've never gotten anything.

• T
      Dec 03, 2015

AT&T refer a friend program is still not working. They DO NOT issue the reward cards when stated or respond to questions submitted via the online form. I have been waiting almost six months and contacted them several time to no avail. I wouldn't refer anyone to AT&T again after this mess. Time to look for another provider.