Arm and Hammer / Pet Fresh Carpet Odour EliminatorAllergic Reaction

B

I recently bought Arm and Hammer's Pet Fresh Odor Eliminator to freshen up my carpets, as I have a new puppy. The day after I used it, my dog had a terrible allergic reaction. Her face was puffy, her eyes closed shut, her jowls were large and inflamed, and her ears were huge, hot, and hard. She is a glodendoodle with very soft features so I noticed it right away. I assumed that a carpet cleaner meant for pets, would be pet friendly. Unfortunately I was to upset to take any pictures, and after I had given her an allergy pill, the swelling went down, but the whole ordeal was very upsetting, and quite frankly I will not buy any Arm and Hammer products from now on, solely based on the fact of the stress your product put on me and my dog. It was a very scary night, and I wish she didn't have to go through that pain.

JoeO1 Sep 12, 2018

Does anyone want to contact me and we need to start a facebook group or something so we can all communicate and figure out how to take Arm and Hammer to court

[email protected]

• Mi
    missbrittanie May 23, 2018

I used this last Thursday, May 17, 2018. My 5 month old kitten started vomiting, having trouble breathing, stopped eating, started drinking water constantly. He was wobbly and his coordination was off. He was mewing so pitifully and on Sunday he had a seizure in my arms. I took him outside as he loves to sit on the porch and the fresh air seemed to make him feel a little better, but that night he had another seizure and died in my arms. The ONLY thing I have changed in my house in the last week is using this stuff for the first time last Thursday. I swear to God if my other cats get sick I will personally visit the Arm & Hammer office and spray this crap down their throats myself. DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!

Christen 87 Jan 02, 2018

My cat also had what seemed.like a seizure. Spent hundreds on ER and multiple vet trips and never got an answer. His mouth would.also swell up and he would get bumps on his back and would scratch. I tried different foods, filtered water, medications. His symptoms would seem.to.subside and then come back. Only since.moving have i finally figured out it was the arm and hammer.product.

Joy Doodle Nov 25, 2017

My 3 yr old Chipoo has had 3 seizures. The most recent this morning. The only thing in common with all of them is the Pet Fresh. I havent taken her to the Vet yet. Was going to do that Monday. I have shag carpets and have been vacuuming them vigorously to get this stuff out. I love my baby and this has been very scary.

• Ye
    Yesenia minaya Oct 22, 2017

Hi there,

I too used this product. Specifically, ARM AND HAMMER EXTRA STRENGTH PLUS OXICLEAN. I used last night on a carpet I have in the living room, while my dog lounged on a recliner. To be fair I've used other versions of this stuff without a problem. So, I was surprised when my 8 year old Cheagle started to reverse sneeze violently. He did this for about an hour on and off. I gave him half a Benadryl because I read online that this might help. And, it did. He fell back to sleep. I then started thinking back what I had done differently, and realized it may have been this product. Even I was sneezing, but I have seasonal allergies and thought this was the cause. Well, here is day two, Sunday. The dog still sounds funny. Like he's congested, but no reverse sneezing, and he has eaten. Im still giving giving him Benadryl. I will continue to monitor and if he doesn't improve will take him to the Vet come Monday morning. But, I'm convinced it was this product. It's in the trash. Never again!

• Du
    Dundy Sep 11, 2017

I've been using this stuff for a while now and my dog started having horrible ear allergy problems a few nights ago I sprinkled the powder on the carpets and vacuumed it up later on in the middle of the night my dog had a seizure when I took him to the vet hospital all lab work came back normal so I start digging around to find out what caused my dogs seizure and found out another women had the same issue with her dog where their ears started bothering them and they'd have seizures and it was an allergic reaction to this carpet powder, it should be removed off the shelves or a warning label on it! My dog is my best friend and I never wanna see him go through another seizure ever again, anyone else who disagrees well I'm just glad you didn't have to watch your pet go through that! I'm relieved to hear people with the same experience and wanna share mine so it can prevent seizures in anyone else's pet.

• Ce
    ceemdubs Jun 15, 2017

This product is HORRIBLE.

I used it to freshen up my couch 2 months ago and I haven't been able to sit on it since.

My eyes burn, and the smell gives me an instant headache.

I've used every product imaginable at least 10 times each (baking soda, white vinegar, alcohol, Febreeze, etc.) and even RESTUFFED my couch but it will not go away. My couch even sits next to an open window and it still smells as strongly as it did 2 months ago.

The company simply tells you to use baking soda which does absolutely nothing. Then they tell you to call your couch manufacturer.

I would be more than happy to participate in a lawsuit against this company and it's terrible, poisonous product. It's horrible how it's had such a terrible affect on pets as well.

• St
    Stephen Lee Phillips Jan 15, 2017

I am active in companion animal rescue and advocacy, maintaining a household of 10 (6 canine/3 feline) and have never experienced a single incident with a wide spectrum of animals.
    According to the MSDS (material safety data sheet), there are no toxic ingredients: https://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=3005125
    other than possible eye or skin irritation (from
    abrasion, if not washed out). This is not meant to discount the experiences of others posting here, but merely meant to convey my personal experience with this product. All companions - as individuals - react differently, just as we humans do... and I, myself, refuse to administer any commercially produce flea-and-tick products, due to the lethality of their ingredients.

• Je
    Jerri Tedford Jan 01, 2017

This morning I rushed my otherwise healthy, 3 1/2 year old chiweenie (chihuahua/doxie mix) to my vet. Late yesterday afternoon I used this smelly crap on my bedroom carpet only (thankfully). I sprinkled it on, took my furkids to the same vet to have their toenails clipped, came home and vacuumed the stuff up while the furkids played outside. Then I vacuumed and vacuumed some more to try and get the horrible perfume smell out. This morning my completely heathy girl Piper, who sees the vet at least every three weeks to have her toenails trimmed had what I found out was a horrible seizure. I woke up dizzy so I had been napping in my recliner for a short time when something woke me. I got up and found my Piper in the hallway, trying to get down the 3 stairs, laying on her left side. Her legs were somewhat working (if you can call it that) but she was basically just pushing herself up against the wall further. I picked her up and tried to stand her but she had no coordination at all. I have never in my 53 years seen a look like that on a dogs face. My keys were in the bedroom when I retrieved them I found she had been asleep on my pillow, had lost control of her bladder and then vomited on the side of the bed as she tried to get down. I can only assume she fell off the bed and that is what woke me. I will never, ever again touch this product or anything like it. I believe it also affected me as I have been somewhat dizzy and have almost fallen several times today. My Piper seems okay now but I was so worried and scared when I got to the vets office that I didn't say anything about this product. I will see him again tomorrow to pay him since I ran out with no money and will bring it up as well as other issues I have seen online today. I have a hard time believing this eliminates odor at all, the perfume is so strong I think it just covers any smell that there might be.

• Ti
    tired of the smell Oct 16, 2016

I appreciate the comments as I was about to buy the Arm and Hammer / Pet Fresh Carpet Odor Eliminator to help with dog smells. I am very sorry that the dogs that had allergic reactions had to suffer. I think the personal experience comments help. Telling people that they should have their pets taken away or trying to get people to ban together to sue does not.

JoeO Sep 14, 2016

We need to find a good lawyer and make them pay for making our pets and loved ones suffer.

Cheryl's Pug Sep 14, 2016

I just found this site because my pug has brown spots on his belly, itching, swollen face and sounds like he can hardly breath. the vet said it was an allergy but with steroids it cleared up and months later I used the carpet fresh powder again and the same thing happened so now I know what is doing it but the problem is I am afraid he will die because he is suffering to breath and I am a registered nurse and scared to go to bed with him like this. please warn people that this is toxic to pets for God's sake,

JoeO Jul 31, 2016

This stuff is poison. It is deadly. It has killed animals and put humans in the hospital. We need a lawyer on our side to put this murdering lying company out of business.

Joe . Oldendick at gmail dot com

JoeO Jul 31, 2016

This stuff is poison and deadly.

• Do
    Donotbuythis Jul 30, 2016

Used this on dog bed and vacuumed it. Kenneled dog when I left the next morning and was gone for two hours. Dog passed about a liter of urine in kennel (very unusual) and wriggled out of it and hid under a bed. Got home and went to find the dog, heard him growling at a person (me) for the first time in his life and when I went to grab his collar and take him to a different room, my sweet dog TRIED TO BITE. I hadn't gotten very close to him and didn't see that his whole face was terribly swollen. I shut him the room and freaked out for awhile. When my bf got home the dog was calmer and I got close enough to see the swelling. Dog was also walking weird and was clearly in some pain. We got him treated and he's fine now but that was a terrifying experience and I feel awful knowing he went through that because of something I bought. Never again.

JoeO May 21, 2016

Anyone who has had a bad experience please contact me

[email protected]

We need to make sure this product is taken off the shelves.

• Co
    CoBoxerGirl Jan 10, 2015

I first put this product down 2 nights ago. This morning my golden retriever had what looked like the beginnings of a seizure. He was laying down and started leaning to the side and lifting one of his paws while it was tucked under. When he went to stand up his back was somewhat arched and he was "tip-toeing" like his pads were hurt. He was somewhat rigid also. This lasted for about 5 minutes, no violent shaking, and a nap and he was back to normal. One of my boxers wouldn't eat and was pacing the house all morning. Then he started drooling for about 3 or 4 minutes, took a nap and is now fine. NOW the other boxer has his 3rd eye lids showing. I've rinsed his eye's and he is now napping, so we'll see what the afternoon brings. I can't not assume all these events today are linked to this product. It's the only new thing in the house, and every time they've been outside the last few days I've been with them.

• Go
    Golden's Momma Jan 10, 2015

This is a horrible product and should be removed from the shelves. It is not advertised--pet friendly or human friendly. Everyone in my house is suffering from inhaling this junk with an awful perfume toxic smell that lasts forever. I have had respiratory problems for a week since I put it on the rug. I will never use it again, and my poor golden retriever with his wonderful sense of smell has been put through this ordeal. Do not buy this product.

• Ye
    Yenkin2001 Nov 23, 2014

I used this product on my rug the other day, my dog had a horrid reaction. Fortunately I recognized it as hives, and quickly ran to the drug store for Benadryl, a quick call to the vet who gave me the dose 1mg per pound and within 20 minutes the swelling went down, however we have now been struggling to get the residual powder out of the carpet.

DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT IF YOU OWN DOGS.

• Ai
    Aingealmom Nov 22, 2014

My American Hairless Terrier had a terrible reaction today, swelling, rash, welts, water filled blisters, we thought an insect bite, but I am convinced now that it was the Pet Fresh we just used on the carpet!!! Terrible product and it has a strongly perfumed odour that you can taste. Lesson learned.

• Ba
    Bamaguy82 Aug 12, 2014

I used this product and noticed my Boxer sneezed a good bit. Well I then started feeling like pins were [censored]ing my entire body. The next day I had a red rash that looked like ant bites all over my shins. I then remembered I was wearing shorts when I sprinkled it on the carpet and some of the powder got on my shins. Just putting this out there. If it is harmful to us, it can most definitely be harmful to our pets so be careful. Glad I found this.

Champs mom Aug 02, 2013

My dog also had an allergic reaction to pet fresh. She broke out in a terrible rash everywhere she touched the carpet. I took her to the vet this morning to the tune of 100.00 and she had to get a shot and take pills for two weeks as well as two or three baths per week for two weeks. I called the company and they are sending me a coupon for their products. WHOOPIE!

• Er
    Eric Graves Apr 22, 2013

The first time I used the product my Labradors face swelled and had breathing issues for a week. I didn't realize until tonight it was the Arm &Hammer Pet Fresh that caused it. Tonight I was vacuuming up the product. I could taste the stuff in the air. I noticed my other dog, a Yorkie appeared to be heaving as if she was going to vomit. When I picked her up to put her outside I realized she was gasping for air. I nearly took her to Vet ER. I can not let her near the rugs I used the product on. Something is not right with this product. If you can taste it when you use it, and dogs become ill, it's safe to say it shouldn't be used.

• Mh
    MHenry Apr 22, 2012

@gururauelb the vet at the ER told us he thought he had been bitten by something. Had I known it was the carpet cleaner I would have never used it again. Like I said in my first post. But thank you for assuming I'm a terrible owner.

@brittanym1 I, like you, WILL NEVER USE THIS PRODUCT AGIAN. I have a bulldog, who unlike most bulldogs, does not have a history of skin problems. I use regular baking soda now. It deoderizes the carpet and helps get the hair out. And it has been completely safe to use around my dog. It's $1 at the dollar store and I think they even have a DG brand 2 for $1 but I didn't want to risk it again so I went with the name brand. I hope this helps.

• Gu
    gururauelb Apr 19, 2012

Listen in today's world there is gonna be exceptions to everything, pets, just like humans are gonna react to different products, different situations, etc... do you know how ignorant it sounds to say "I'm never gonna use your product again."? Caz your dog had an allergetic reaction? There's millions of consumers out here that can't live without this product . And to the other person who says they spent $400 at the er.; shame on you for putting your poor dog through that again! !! Your dog should be taken away from you fer abuse

• Us
    user1967104 Jan 06, 2019

@gururauelb your a [censored] my dog almost died from the same product, , , , , , there should be a warning on the label but they do not have to have a warning if its not toxic to a certain percentage of people if it kills one percent of dogs that sniff it there is not warning

• Br
    brittanym1 Apr 11, 2012

Thank you for posting this, now I dont feel like a ###. I was scared because I didn't have the money to take my dog to the vet at the time and knew it would be expensive, what kind of dog do you have? maybe it's a certain breed that has the reactoin? I have a golden doodle, 80% retriever

• Mh
    MHenry Apr 09, 2012

I have used Arm and Hammer with Oxi Clean Extra Strength Carpet Odor Eliminator and both times my dog had an allergic reaction! The first time his face was swollen and he had huge bumps all over his back! We took him to the ER and the vet thought something had bitten him since I told him I put him in the backyard while I cleaned the house. I recently used the carpet cleaner again and he had those same bumps on his back so I know its the carpet cleaner!!! I bathed him with medicated shampoo, opened all the windows and vacuumed and vacuumed and vacuumed! Luckily I noticed it in time before this face was swollen like before and had to spend another $400 at the ER! I will never buy this product again!!!

• Md
    mdacosta Mar 23, 2012

I also have a dog and have used carpet fresh pet fresh for several years . I use it weekly and my dog has never had a reaction.