Apple Computerswarranty issues

My wife and I purchased an Apple IMAC computer from Best Buy 4/14/08. I was told by Apple and Best Buy that we had one year from purchase to decide if we wanted to purchase the extended warranty on the computer. Getting near the end for the opportunity to purchase the extended warranty, I decided to call and purchase the extended warranty on 3/29/09 (within my purchased date by over two weeks). When I called Apple Company they showed a purchased date of March 2, 2017. They mentioned that I would need to fax my receipt over to them, which I did showing my purchase was on 4/14/08. Later that night I was sent an email from Apple, with no point of contact, no phone number, and with the email address donotreply.apple.com (in other words - don't bother us!) telling me I was turned down because according to their records, March 2, 2017 was the date of purchase. Per their records they denied me due to the product was purchased as an open-box or demo model, which I did not know. Apple stated that if the box is open, thats when the one year starts to count down, not when I actually purchased the product. They said that all retailers are fully aware of this and should have explained this to me. I told them no such explanation was ever was ever given to me, and if that was the case with Apple's practice, why wouldn't you require the consumer to sign something stating this to cover their tracks-, no answer from the people I talk to at apple. I told them that this was very misleading and ask them how would the consumer know anything about this rule. Apple's employees could only say they were sorry and agreed this didn't seem right but could not do anything about it- I always thought that Apple prided itself for thinking outside the box - but apparently from my experience, Apple is just another big company using/abusing words of choice. And to think, I always stood on Apple's side with their products, and expressed to other consumers my great satisfaction and how they were much better than their competitors. This experience has changed my outlook on Apple and it's service-

Sad Apple User Jun 27, 2013

I purchased an Apple Time Capsule in December 2017. June 23rd, I noticed my wifi was down and had no power to the Time Capsule. I made an appointment with the Genius bar at the Apple Store where they tested it, tried a new power cord, etc. A new Time Capsule was ordered which will supposedly be available for pick up in a few days.

So I asked about my data. The reply was, it is not their policy to do data recovery AND If I were to take it to someone to recover my 6 months of back-up, it will void the warranty. It is my choice - lose the replacement Time Capsule to recover my data - no guarantee that the data is still there - or, hand over the damaged TC with my personal work, email, photos, and other data to Apple land, not knowing where my sensitive data may end up, and get a new TC which may only last another 6 months. It surprises me that they would take responsibility of someone's data.

How can APPLE not allow me to try to recover my data? I feel like a hostage. No matter what I do, its going to cost me. I'm so upset because I've been a loyal Apple customer since the 80's - as a graphic designer, Apple is the only way to go as far as my work goes - I know now that some of APPLE'S other products are not as reliable. Very sad.

• Ga
    gatortracks May 12, 2012

Too bad you didn't back up your phone before you broke it. Haha.

• Ga
    gatortracks May 11, 2012

The iPhone could have been easily backed up to iTunes if you had followed directions. In addition to that you altered the firmware on the phone. Apple did nothing wrong and owes you nothing.

If you lift the hood of your car and cause damage by screwing around with hoses, valves and wires, don't blame the manufacturer because there isn't a sign that reads DON'T f*** WITH THE ENGINE.

Dunce.

• Ka
    Karim Romman May 11, 2012

I bought my IPHONE 3GS - serial number 85938RFT3NR - in 2017. I paid for it in full and became my own property.
    I travel overseas and I feel very comfortable using my own phone all the time so I got it unlocked not to change carriers but to be able to use it in my travel. Unlocking the phone is legal and it was not under warranty. I basically exercised my right to do what I want with my property.
    I also have an "IPOD" that I updated with "ITUNES" this last weekend with no problem. While I was at it I updated my "IPHONE" too. My "IPOD" update went smoothly but to my surprise when I updated my phone, that transferred my several hundred dollars investment in "IPHONE" into a worthless "paper weight".
    I took my IPHONE to AT &T store and after an hour I was advised that this is an "Apple" issue not an "AT &T" issue. The technician at the local "APPLE" store said that "THE ONLY THING" that can be done is to get a new phone.
    I checked on the internet and found that many "victims" have fallen in the trap and found several sites that sell software to undo the harm. I bought one of them and worked several frustrating useless hours to get my phone back but it did not work.
    Since I found that many victims faced the exact mishap that happened to me, then this is an issue that "Apple" knows about or should know about.
    APPLE" has teams of the most technically savvy advanced individuals in the industry. "APPLE" can easily detect any changes made to any IPHONE
    With that simple task in hand, "APPLE" should do the right and responsible thing by :
    • Refusing to update the phone saying "THIS PHONE CANNOT BE UPDATED".
    • A warning box saying "ANY CHANGES MADE TO THE IPHONE WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION MAY CAUSE DAMAGE. Then give the customer the choice to cancel or proceed.
    But Allowing the "update-destruction" to go on without any warning for an hour till it is irreversible is evil, mean spirited and not acceptable for many innocent well meaning trusting loyal "APPLE" customers.
    The following 2 facts are very important:
    1 - Destroying existing IPHONE creates demand for new IPHONE and bigger profits
    2 - "APPLE" refuses to change policy.
    These 2 facts shows "APPLE'S" greed and their determination to profit at any cost with total disregard or any sense of responsibility toward the average person for whom an IPHONE is a significant investment

It even sounds more that "APPLE" is intentionally punishing and taking revenge on those that dare to use the phones they own legally without paying for "APPLE".
    The facts:
    • I did pay in full for the phone
    • I legally unlocked it to use in my travel.
    • Trusting the APPLE name and associated products like ITUNES I innocently tried to update a good working product.
    • The " UPDATE" - more correctly the total destruction - took about an hour. During that hour there was no warning or a hint of any problem till ITUNES finished destroying the phone.
    • To my knowledge I did not do anything illegal to lose my investment. Apple did nothing to warn me about the loss.
    I am very offended by Apple's response to me and to the BBB that they are not going to do anything about it. I am open to be part of any class action suit to correct what is wrong

• Di
    dick smith :D Apr 29, 2011

National consumer hotline will not help ignorance. I am sorry but you clearly take no responsibility for your own actions and look to blame anyone else for not fulfilling your dreams and desires.
    No sales person is going to talk you out of buying the latest and greatest and convince you to buy a heavily discounted & discontinued model with no benefit in it for them whatsoever as they are poorly trained. I am sure she was very adept in her position but you are simply a severely ill informed consumer.
    And to say it took you six weeks to notice is just pathetic.

• Si
    sikha123 Apr 19, 2011

Here is the fault of female assistant, I think they can compromise with you or should be exchange it. You can also register your complaint at national consumer helpline if you have any query they will help you.

I have the contact details of consumer helpline.
    Nationalconsumerhelpline.in
    Their telpphone no: [protected].

• Le
    Les Kalmar Apr 19, 2011

Sales person knew that I needed it for Skype, 6weeks after purchasing it to my total surprise she had sold me the IPad 1, with no camera, all up I spent over 800 dollars, case, extended warranty, and now it seems useless to me, and no web cam to add to it makes it totally impossible, after speaking with the computer manager Richard he said that it was too late, being 6 weeks already, and they will not exchange it., not even a compromise, exchange maybe, plus cash, was never offered, it was a plain bad luck., my argument is, that both IPads were available, yet the difference was never brought up, in the store, the female assistant remain silent., I rang Apple, and was told that I didn't purchase it directly, so your argument is with Dick Smith, they replied, I said if they choose to sell the products, then they should train the sales staff, I'm left shocked, and feel no use for this IPad, and feel very strongly that I was treated, as an unfair sale, and to think they could real ease a state of the art computer, in 2017, with no in built camera, and no plugin web cam available at all!!??, if the man Dick Smith himself was still at the helm, I wouldn't be making this complaint, I would of rung him directly, hoping to hear some good news, being a sales agent myself, pushing such a huge range of products, with a great reputation, I won't be recommending, Dick Smith, Apple to no one!, thanking you for your ears, Les Kalmar.