Anytime Fitnessowner/trainer

A Jul 09, 2019

I have been a committed employee with Anytime Fitness here in Terre Haute, IN for a year and a half now. I was initially approached by the owner, Chad Atterson's now ex-wife, Heather Atterson about the position. Taking a chance, I started there knowing nothing about fitness. Once I started feeling comfortable, I started to realize that I loved being in fitness. I loved getting to know my members and their stories. I loved how they always came to me. Nothing could be better than walking in to what we call our "second homes" than smiling members and happy staff that know each other.
Me being in the position of "Regional Manager", that being over all 3 Terre Haute locations and the new Paris, IL location, I had staff and a lot of members to listen to and take action when it needed to be taken. During my time there at least everyday there were complaints made to me by not only staff but our members. These complaints pointing at the main trainer, Rachel Stunich. Almost every single complaint! Being that I am the H2I Manager and her being the T2I Manager, I would always go to the owner with the complaints I had on her. He would always tell me he would take care of it. Sometimes I would see a change in her towards myself and staff, but only for a little while. Then she would turn back into her normal self. I don't know how member complaints turned out. I know some have never been resolved and some have because I have had to ask Chad why he had yet to reach out to them. Then the member would come thank me because after I asked Chad why he had not reached out, he would have Rachel contact them. I only went to Chad to ask why he had not reached out to the member(s) because they would come back to me. There were many, many complaints on Rachel. And to this day, you can find at least 5-10 members in each of our 3 locations in Terre Haute, IN, that say they don't like her or I had one member come up to me and say, "she doesn't like me, and I don't know why". When I told Chad this, nothing was done. I had a member, Bailey Robinson, come to me almost in tears because she was led into another training agreement and was not too sure how it happened. They are wanting to get away from PT and that's what she liked and wanted. So Rachel put her in Group and that really upset her. I told Chad about this conversation and he told me to have Bailey email him. I had her email Chad and he in return had Rachel call her. Bailey came to me a few days after, I believe. She told me that Rachel was so rude to her on the phone. I told her that I was sorry and that she needed to email Chad again. She said she would. In the meantime, Chad somehow thought the call went great! I told him what Bailey had told me, and he just shrugged it off. I haven't talked to her since. It hasn't been but maybe a week ago since this happened. Rachel is one of a kind. She has a harassing behavior. She is controlling and just plain rude. It's not me to name call. Those are just the words that describe her best.
The last incident in which I am being retaliated against from happened on 06/24/2019. The pas3-4 months that I would go to Chad with issues myself or my staff had with Rachel, he would tell me to "ask her about it". I told him I didn't want to because I didn't want her to get upset or anything. He said, she wouldn't. Well, that morning my employee Allyson Mundy called my cell phone while I was at home finishing getting ready for m shift. She told me that Rachel had contacted her stating, "You're lucky. Jon saved your [censored] on Sunday". She was upset with how Rachel came to her with this. Allyson said she kept saying it over and over to her like she was to blame. So, I then called Rachel because that is what Chad has been requesting that I do. She didn't answer, but soon called me back. I told her I did not was an argument or anything I just would like to know what was said to Allyson. She told me that she just told Allyson that Jon stayed for 6 hours on Sunday because there were no towels. I then asked if she said the comment to Allyson, about saving her [censored]. She immediately got frustrated and said "No, let me tell you something". Conversation went downhill from there. She stated in there she was going to file a complaint on me. I don't understand the whole outburst that she had but she finally hung up, so that was a good thing. But, What did I do? What my boss told me to? Chad then came to me and requested me to send him an email with what happened so he could put it all together and send it to you guys, corporate . I did.
Since then, I have been being treated like a piece of garbage. I have had to move from the Downtown gym, which I had been there for a year and a half, to a gym at the other side of town. All because he states he doesn't need myself and Rachel being at the same location. Where did this come about? Also stating it is corporate policy to have a manager at each location. If that's true, then why even give me that "Regional Manager" position in the first place? Why was it okay for all of the months that I did it? Until, now? Retaliation! The first staff he wanted to put down there told him "No, she couldn't work with Rachel anymore". What does that say? So, he put his son, Chandler, over the Downtown location. Allyson Mundy over the South location. Myself had to go to the East location. He took away a lot of my responsibilities. Such as schedules for all gyms, entering insurance for all gyms, buying supplies for all gyms, being the "go to", when staff has questions and many others. All I had to do now was one gym. If that is not retaliation, I don't know what it.
Chad and I exchanged some text messages last weekend. He wasn't being so nice. Ordering me to work 1-2 Saturdays a month. When he told me I didn't have to a few months ago. So, I went in to work today. Asked Chad to meet me at the gym. I was going to do something I truly did not want to do. He came and we sat in the office. I said "Due to the circumstances and the retaliation that I am receiving for doing my job, I am putting in my two weeks today". He said "the way you talked to me this weekend, I don't need a two weeks notice. You can go now". So I went.
I don't regret leaving. I will still keep in touch with all of my members. All hundreds of them. I just wish he would have handled the towel situation like I requested. Which was have myself, Rachel and him sit down and talk. When I requested that he said he would have to "pull you two off of each other". Not properly handled and I have been treated poorly and retaliated against for no reason what so ever.
I just want you guys to know that there are serious issues going on in the gyms that Chad Atterson owns. I really hope you look in to this. Ask H2I staff and most importantly current members. The ownership and gyms needs some corporate attention.
I have a lot more I could add to this but it would be even lengthier that it is now. I will be more than happy to provide anymore knowledge that I have of issues or complaints with Rachel, if they are needed.

Please, let me know that you are looking in to this.
Alisha Pine