American Home Shieldthe truth about ahs

O Review updated:

I just thought the consumers in the united states that deal with american home shield would like to know the truth about their warranty company. Any one of you that ever had to deal with a water heater issue and thought the contractor was somehow robbing you because you had to come out of pocket for something the warranty company says is covered might be interested in this. American home shield pays contractors a flat fee anywhere from 60. 00 to 140. 00 per call. Period. That is all they pay. They do not pay for any parts whatsoever. So when a contractor comes to your house and you need a water heater that costs 350. 00 and the contractor is getting 125. 00 total for the job it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that not only is he not making any money he is losing 225. 00. So how can a person hope to survive working for the ahs? They do what they are told to do by ahs. Ahs came up with their patent pass the buck routine, which is to roll the cost down hill, anything you think they are paying for, they pass on to the contractor, anything the contractor is going to lose money on is rolled onto you the consumer. If the contractor doesnt like it, or if they make a big stink about it they are finished. No more calls will be coming their way. When the subject is brought up with their contractor reps. They tell the contractors to do what they have to do to atleast break even on water heaters knowing what they are telling them to do is illegal, and a breech of contract with their customers. These charges are called non - covered charges. Without them the contractors would be broke and out of business in their first month, with ten water heater calls per week they would be finished. This is ahs' standard operating procedure. They had a class action suit filed against them a few years back for denying claims for just about anything, they settled the suit paying the consumer with not money of course but a new and better plan that would guarantee the consumer would have coverage for just about everything. This is actually true. The way they went about covering the costs of this plan is sleazy and dishonest as usual. The contractor says hey wait if youre going to cover everything no matter what and you want us to fix or replace everything you have to give us more money per call. Ahs in their generosity agreed and offered the contractors time and material (This pays them for the parts and for the time spent on the repair) this was a really great thing! It was fair to everyone involved - the consumer got no hassle service, everything was covered, the contractor got paid for his labor and didnt get stuck with paying for parts out of his labor wage. Well this lasted about three months then ahs decided that they would change it so that they paid the contractor 20. 00 more than they're usual fee and he would have to pay for parts, six months after that they dropped it down to they're usual fee. So in the end who eats it again? Certainly not ahs, they dump it into the contractors lap and tell him if he wants to work he'll roll it over onto the consumer period. They are worse than you can imagine. I've been doing warranty work for a long time and they turn my stomach. I refuse to be a party to their practices and therefore don't get much work from them, but thats okay i will tell you also that if you want to get a home warranty policy go to old republic, or fidelty they have much more honest business practices and they are fair to the contractors. If i needed to have a warranty policy i would go with o. R. Because they give us the hardest time about our work which means they care the most about you the consumer. P. S. They got the plug because they deserved it boycott ahs they're ###.

• Jr
    J Remines Jan 27, 2019

Just got ripped off by a contractor sent by Home Shield. Home Shield sent a contractor on Saturday afternoon for an A/C issue. Contractor said bad blower motor. We asked to wait till next week to decide whether to allow repair or replace a/c.
    Contractor said Home Shield will "only allow 24 hours to decide". Had to make decision during non business hours. Had no choice.
    Contractor was representing Home Shield at that point. Decided to upgrade system. During removal, We asked for old system' non defective components, contractor said it is Home Shield's requirement that old equipment be taken. Asked for equipment to be returned. Contractor has refused 3 times. Called Home Shield and asked about 24 hour deadline and the taking of old equipment. Home Shield Rep was unaware but would get back with answers -- never did. Here's how the scam results. Contractor takes low fee from Home Shield which gives him some one to rip off. Sweet deal for Contractor. Getting an attorney.

• Tr
    Tracy Spurlock Jan 07, 2019

WHAT A JOKE!!! After all the time I have spent trying to contact these clowns, I don't have much time left to comment here! Called to have my dryer repaired (October 2018). They sent out a repairman who had to order parts. With the holidays coming up and us being out of town, I decided to wait until after the 1st of the year to have repairman come back. Well, rescheduling that repairman to come and perform the parts replacement is another act of congress! and AHS has already closed the service order, wanting $$'s for the old one and...I can't get hold of them. BUYER BEWARE!!!

chris McDonnell Sep 16, 2018

Ours is A/C also, started August 17th. They sent out a company 5 days later, we live in Texas, 96 degree heat. He said drain and dirty outside coils, (which are covered) but technician said not covered and charged me $60.00 between him and I, did not want company he worked for or AHS to know about it. Six days later he had to come back out, it stopped working, he had not secured shut off door in attic. He gave me his cell number and told me he owned the company, what a lie. It quit 30 minutes after he left, they said would send senior technician out, in 8 days, WHAT!!! Took the day off work, around noon they call and say busy, will be in 2 more days. Take day off again, they call around noon and say coming out next day, in case it rains. Insane. Fortunately it had started to run again and I figured may be freezing up. Technician from before shows up at noon, says I called him and said I had son at doctor but wanted him to come by at noon. I sure never called him, do not have a son, and had not been near a doctor. It quit working after he drove off. I called company and told them may be purely coincidental, but he had showed up at house lying and when he left it quit. The receptionist accused me of accusing their employee of sabotaging the unit!!! They called AHS and dumped me, but next day new company came out and found problem right away. He cleaned outside coils but ignore attic coil and it was rusted to no end and needed replacing, as did condenser. Yes costing money, but may never need home warranty again, all this work will be covered for 10 years, like a new unit. So someone owes me $60 crooks at All Pro Air Solutions most likely

sandra cowan Aug 31, 2018

We have been with AHS for the last 15 years, this is the first time for the bulls''t we are getting on this order. We do not call in every day or every month, we might not call at all, but AHS still get it monthly payment on time without any delay in service. I do not know why you cannot get a supervisor on the line, I do not know how the ceo of this company is not aware of what is going on with this company, I do not know why you trained people to lie to the consumer, but this is what I know, the consumer put you in business and they can put you out of business. If you do not believe me look at the history of Sears where they forgot about or chose to ignore the complaints of the customers and start refusing to stand behind their brands or lives up to the names they once brag about.CEO open your eyes, when you start loosing customers that mean your job is also on the line. It is nothing wrong been honest.

• Bo
    Boris Bedoris Aug 05, 2018

I had AHS for 1 year - supplied by my house seller. Free to me.
    My 20 year old air conditioner was going out, so I drilled a teeny tiny hole in the condenser coil. No way I was going to pay over $1000 for freon to patch the "leak" and replace the freon - so I took a $1600 cash in lieu for the repair, and applied that to my NEW AC unit.
    Toward the end of my 1 year policy, I drilled another teeny tiny hole through the heat stack in my 20 year old water heater. They would have replaced it, but their representative needed $350 in additional charges that he claimed AHS didn't cover (drain pan, new improved exhaust ducting, etc.) I said NO and took a cash in lieu of $450 and replaced it myself for about that cost.
    I had two service calls totaling $150.
    I got a new water heater and a new AC at a greatly reduced price.
    Not proud of what I did, but I did what I did.
    I think AHS is great!

• 76
    768177 Sep 07, 2018

@Boris Bedoris That's the definition of insurance fraud

• Df
    DFBlack Jul 30, 2018

American Home Shield continues to engage in bad faith insurance practices. Despite having to settle multiple class action lawsuits, American Home Shield continues to engage in bad faith insurance practices. My case is identical to all the claims litigated in the Faught Class Action Lawsuit . American Home Shield engages in bad faith insurance practices by denying legitimate claims in the first year of a customer's home service for "lack of maintenance." In my case, my wife and I recently purchased a home and as part of the contract, purchased a home warranty through American Home Warranty. Within days we discovered our AC was not working properly. It was almost a 100 degrees that week. We have two daughters, one is almost three and the youngest just turned one. It was clearly a health and safety issue for our girls to get immediate attention. Rather than take prompt action to help us, AHS took advantage of our situation by stalling, sending substandard contractors, denying our claim for "lack of maintenance", and then failing to address our requests for review. Specifically, we filed our claim June 18th. They didn't send out an AC contractor until the 19th. When he arrived, he said he couldn't assess the AC unit because it needed to be cleaned. Of course they could clean it for a fee of $175.00, which wasn't covered by AHS. When I tried to get American Home Shield to intervene and manage the contractor then sent after I paid the $75.00 service fee, they failed to respond. After paying fees to clean the unit, the technician finally did a pressure test and said there was a leak in the system. After days of arguing with AHS, they denied my claim because the unit "was not properly maintained." This was despite the fact that we paid for coverage due to lack of maintenance! Since system was broken at time we moved in, it was clear it was not properly maintained before we moved in and fell within the contract. After a week of being displaced for the safety of our kids, AHS finally agreed to repairs, but would only cover $1, 013.00 of repairs and I was responsible for 1, 500.00 in repairs as they didn't cover full costs of Freon. This is where the dishonesty of AHS and its subcontractors revealed itself. The high costs of repairs were due to the contractor's estimate of replacing 10 pounds of Freon at $150.00 per pound. After consulting a reputable AC contractor, I learned my unit only held 5 pounds of Freon! Of course AHS's dishonest contractor was willing to replace my unit at a cost of $7, 000 and AHS would apply their costs to repair ($1, 013) to a new unit. Both AHS and their contractors use pressure tactics and the misfortune of homeowners to their advantage. Luckily, I contacted a reputable contractor who gave me advice. He could install a better unit for one third the cost of the AHS contractor. He also told me he refused to work with them as they encourage contractors to deny claims and blame it on lack of maintenance. It was clear that AHS's business practice is based upon dishonesty and bad faith insurance practices. When I brought this to their attention and requested that the $1, 013 they were going to pay their contractor be applied to my contractor's costs, they began to give me the run around. I finally had to replace my unit and I am still waiting for a response from AHS. In fact, I have literally been on hold with them all morning as I write this review. While their customer services reps are kind, there appears to be a clear tactic of trying to wear down consumers and stall hoping they will go away. Every time I call, I am placed on a long wait. Other times, I call and the "system is down" so they can't transfer my calls to a supervisor. I finally got a number for the Authorization Specialist Department [protected]). I have called them over a half dozen times asking for resolution of my claim. After hours of wasted time, I am told a supervisor will call me back. It never happens. Since I am an attorney, this morning I asked to speak to their legal department. After an hour they connected me to the American Arbitration Association, a not for profit organization in the field of alternative dispute resolution! Back on hold again waiting on a supervisor, but it is painfully clear to me I will have to file a legal action to get resolution. Their tactics are to wear consumers down. It is unconscionable they would not respond to my requests for assistance after paying for their annual contract and after I told them I had two young children and no AC. I would never do business with them again and I will go out of my way to warn people to not throw they hard earned money away by using American Home Warranty. You not only will be disappointed, you will waste days of your life arguing with them.

• To
    Tonia Muhammad Jun 12, 2018

American Home Shield is not a good warranty company . I have been a contract customer for over 10 years and they have failed me numerous times. I only call the company for my air conditioning and for the past 7 years, they have sent a contractor out to patch the problem instead of fix the issue. Every year, my air conditioner runs out of freon and I am out of pocket from $300 to $500 a year. I was told that there is a leak, but no one decided to locate or attempt to replace the part that was causing the freon to leak out. Two years ago, the same issue occurred. I called and put in a service request and a contractor was sent to my home. The contractor informed me that there was a leak in the coils and that it needed to be replaced. He submitted the request to AHS. I did not hear from anyone for a week. I contacted the president of the division I work for and he contacted the president of AHS who was able to start the work on my air conditioner. I was out of pocket $900 because AHS only pays $10 per ton of freon and granted I have a 5 ton air conditioner and the price was then $150 a ton. I thought the problem was solved until the next year which my air conditioner ran out of freon. I called AHS and they sent a contractor out and filled up the ac which charged me $270.00 plus the $75 service fee. Now that we are approaching summer, I had my air conditioner cleaned by the company I pay for maintenance every year. Remember, if you do not maintain routine maintenance on the machinery, AHS will not cover any breakdowns. So I paid $300 for freon in March 2018. It lasted for 2 months. I called AHS and they sent a contractor out and said that the coil needed to be replace (it was not replaced when they said before just patched) and it will cost me $1, 400 to put freon back in. I explained to them that I just paid $300 two months ago and this has been going on for the past 7 years. The lady said she notice that there is a record of it and there was nothing she could do about my $300 because I did not call them which would have been $375 (service fee). I only call them for my ac, nothing else. I asked how much was AHS paying for the new coil and she told me that they cannot disclose that information to me. Of course she became rude. I am livid because I have not had any air for 3 weeks waiting on them to make up their mind if they were going to replace the ac or just patch it again. Now I am told it will take 7 to 10 days for the part before I can get air. I do not understand how this company is rated number 1 in home warranty. They have patched the same problem for the past 7 years and still refuse to do their due diligence to satisfy a customer who has been with them over 10 years. The only way I am getting half of the treatment is due to that I am an employee of the parent company. I think that AHS should review their customer service and fix the problem instead of prolonging until the inevitable. You will probably see another posting next year...the same issue will occur. My trust in this company is gone.

• Ro
    Robin Nitsche Jun 05, 2018

The ABSOLUTE WORST COMPANY to deal with!!

Trying to reach someone by phone is a full time job. You can get on their automated merry-go-round for hours, or by some lucky chance get picked up only to be put on hold and forgotten about. Oh, and there is also a chance you get picked up only to be told their system isn't working and that you will have to hang up and try again later.
    Trying to use their on-line chat is useless. The link does not work.

I have been trying for 7 months to get an oven repaired. I have had at least 7 visits. Charged multiple trip fees because they only cover a 30 day window after the "repair", regardless if it is the same item and the same problem. 6 different technicians. Multiple parts that can take up to two weeks to arrive (hence going over the 30 day window). I finally got my case escalated by speaking with a supervisor and getting her email address. The next time I tried to reach out to her, my message bounced back to me. Email no longer valid.

When I look at my premiums and all the trip fees, I could have purchased a new oven. When I look at all the money they have authorized in parts and labor over 7 months, they could have bought me two ovens!

This has been the most frustrating experience EVER. I feel totally foolish for letting it go this far. I will not get a resolution because this company does not give a CRAP about customer service, their reputation, or giving any sort of value. They are CROOKS. The only satisfaction I will ever get is telling everyone I know, how ROTTEN AMERICAN HOME SHIELD is.

• Wo
    Woobie222 May 24, 2018

I am (as I am writing this) getting a new hot water heater installed. My home warranty contract, supposedly for a $75 service fee, has now turned into $425. If I factor in the monthly fee I have been paying for a few years without using my "warranty" its a very expensive repair. They said its the company doing the repair that sets the extra fee, and of course the company said its AHS. I tend to believe the contract company, although I'm not sure why anyone would want to work for these home warranty companies. I also had to take a vacation day at work, so I could be home when they were available to do the repair, if it wasn't for trying to be protected, I could have called and had this done on my day off and had hot water the last few days. I will definitely be cancelling my contract and taking my chances on my own. I would be more than happy to join in on a class action law suit if anyone gets one together!

• Ha
    Haynes Family Mar 20, 2018

Good luck! I know there has to be a reputable home warranty company out there somewhere, but so far, it sure hasn't been AHS!

• Tr
    Trouble681 Mar 19, 2018

Just got my warranty on 2/5/2018 and waited the 30 days and as luck would have on 3/5/2018 it went into effect. On the 3/13/18 my pool pump just stops working. This is terrible as they basically had a guy come out and said it had been leaking for many years and basically they did not believe it broke down after the 5th. This is ridiculous. I told them that I wanted them to come out and inspect everything to see that it is in good working condition. I did not make the rules and that pool pump although old worked perfect. I have never seen a leak on that pump ever. However water pours over the casing every time you empty the basket or prime it. This does not mean there was anything wrong with it. The whole purpose of getting the warranty is because many things in my house were older and I was concerned about breakdowns. I was told for $100 they would repair or replace but never was I told of a 3rd option deny. so they collect your money and do nothing. Now if I want a second opinion I have to pay another $100 if they agree with the last person. My pump has been in the AZ sun for 14 years and it looks to me like paint has become chalky and is falling off the casing. this did however not effect the way it ran which was perfect for 14 years. I am furious and there was a licensed electrician who worked on my breaker box on the 12th and saw me outside cleaning my pull while a perfectly functioning pump was working. The next day the breaker on the pool timer was tripped and I again called the electrician who confirmed my pump was shot. they will not even listen to the electrician about it working fine on the 12th. really wish I could find a good home warranty company.

• Ba
    Barbara Edelin Feb 21, 2018

American Home Shield
    I have been trying to contact someone for a week now. I have been with American Home Shield since 2015. This will be my second time calling for assistant on something that was need in my home. First it was my icemaker that job was done wrong the first time. I think they deal with the worst contractors. Ok I call a second time because my heat pump was not working. Someone came out checked to my unit and said a part need to be replaced. I then paid my deductible of $75.00. A week later the contractors office called to tell me that the part was in and I need to set a date for them to come out. I was setting a date and the contractor's office told me I had to pay an additional fee of $400.00 for Freon. I told them I have no more money for Freon and ask them could you just replace the part and I will do the rest? They told me no that it would be and unfinished job. So I told them to cancel that order. I then contacted American Home Shield to let them know about the problem I was having with the contractor's office. American Home Shield did not try to help me with this matter so I cancelled my contract with American Home Shield after being with them since 2015.Can you imagine how many times I have already paid for Freon. WOW!!!

• Sc
    Scammed like big time!!!! Jan 07, 2018

SCAM! Shame on me for keeping my “membership” with these crooks! After around 2 yrs of paying monthly fees, HVAC goes out in colder temps here in a long time. Stayed on hold 2 times for greater than 20 min & it within 5 seconds got dumped automically & abruptly by the season. . 4th call I got to talk to a human who made great promises. Whatever. The region office did call after a couple of frigid days at the house. Unfriendly & robotical in nature.
    They (region AHS HVAC office) sent someone who did not tell us anything Because they had to get in touch with AHS corporate to determine what AHS would be willing to pay for ANY replacement parts. Waited. Nothing. Called again... they show he made the call but has zero info on what he found. Their response: do a recall (pay another $100 service call) . Refreshing horrible truth teller at the same region AHS Office person told me point blank “it’s better to save up your money for a new heating system than use AHS. Everybody gets these warranties when their house gets older and they realize they’re going to have to start replacing things and we don’t replace anything... we just try to patch it up a little. ishe continued: It is much SMARTER just to keep saving up over a few years for new appliances, HVAC etc...you come out way ahead in the long run.3 wks later, still no heat & no answers. SCAMMED & it feels bad. Potential AHS customers: If you don’t take it straight from the horses mouth (lregional AHS statement above) what else do you do? She even volunteered that. All they do is a HS contracting and that their reviews are terrible because their hands are tied by AHS as to what they are allowed to do . SHAME on AHS. Going to try to see if my credit card who’s always worked with me with scams will try and honor all the payments I’ve made for a couple of years and get them credited back to my account.

• Pi
    Pissed!! Oct 30, 2017

American Home Shield is not worth the paper its written on. They have a loop hole and an out for just about everything. Early this Summer we had a problem with the Air Flow in our older Craftsman house. Now understand we are in Augusta Georgia and its pretty dam miserable in the Summer months. Anyways contractor called us told us to turn the AC off the night before, which I tried to explain there wasn't anything wrong with the unit it was to do with the air flow in to the rooms, so I assumed it was probably duct work and seals, which is covered from AHS. The next day we put the AC on full blast because of the heat to find out the coil froze causing some serious water damaged in the house. I called and called to be put on hold for over an hour several times and know one picked up. A week later someone one reached out to me and I was told that they can't and aren't responsable for Trades Man.. I just about lost it. Since then we had 3 other clowns companies out we weren't getting anywhere with. Finally i came across some old paper work with a company named Babbitts with a 5 star review. They came in access the situation and knew that the seals were leaking just like i thought. I've paid 3 different contractors to come out and Babbitts was GREAT! I give AHS the bill which is reasonable at $450 from Babbitts who I paid out of pocket because my trust was gone with AHS. I've paid at least that from all the different contractors we've had out. They tell me they have to send there company out Total Air Care.. Terrible!! They didn't show up between 10-2.. Showed up at 2:30.. Didn't do much and left! With out a call back to me. Called him back he said he was coming back later that day. At 10:00 at night we finally called him and was told he wasn't coming back and would have to reschedule. The next day I got a call from AHS stating I was denied because there wasn't floor boards in the attic, policy. Nothing but outs and loop holes!! This has been going on since early Summer!

Sam Parker Sep 03, 2017

My sewage line backed up on labor day weekend (like I did that on purpose) the sewage fumes were so strong we had to evacuate the house. went online that night and paid the 75.00 fee for a contractor to come look at it since the wait time was over an hour to speak to someone. got an email that they put in a claim with a local plumber and the local plumer said they would contact me within 2 business days??? wtf??? uhm rotting sewage in house, gas poisoning??? sorry its an emergency situation but I didnt see anyone footing a bill for my family and animals to stay in a hotel anywhere. called back in the morning got ahold of an agent after waiting for over 30 minutes and she said that she called the company and they had 30 mins to respoind... an hour goes by and nothing. no call no text no email. etc. I call back again and waited over 40 mins and when someone picked up they hung up on me??? really??? meanwhile its only 50 some degrees and raining outside the home where we have to stay since we cant go in the house. call back once again on hold for over an hour and get some unproffesional black person on the phone, after I explained my situation she acted like she didnt have any notes on the issue. uhm... ok... then she said oh yeah the company that was called cant come out. well what the [censor]?>?? I asked ok well, I need someone here today.. she said hold on and got put back on hold for another 30 mins with dead silence on the phone. I have no clue while holding if she just hung up on me or not.. I will be forwarding this to mr. crawford the ceo of the company who obviously needs to retrain all the employees with that company. of course im sure if his home with filling up with [censor] and sewer gas and his family and animals couldnt go in it due to the toxic fumes that he'd have someone there within 15 mins. thanks for making us working people struggle. I am also going to forward this to all the real estate companies to not use this company for any homes! I will also slab this all over facebook and send it viral.

• Wa
    Wally Kojack Apr 08, 2017

Worse company ever .. it is a ripoff.. do no Bussiness with AHS

• Mu
    musgun Sep 20, 2016

I have home warranty less than 4 months with American home shield but really suck and I don't know how they still exist, I had called more than 50 they keep you on hole more than an hours, one time they kept me 1:25 minutes 3pm to 3:25pm and gave up then I call early morning around 9am I had been transferred more than 5 times they kept transferring me to different departments, when I press option #3 it goes somewhere else, they realty paly game with this kind of service bad service I wonder how they still survive . mid April service person came and charged me $ 75 dollar and he told me to fix it he need to get an approval from American home shield, when I called them no answer at all. my contact # is [protected]

• Su
    Suttoda Sep 12, 2016

After paying premiums to AHS for years, I finally had to file a claim.My pool heater which was installed exactly as specified in the owners manual, failed after 10 years.

AHS sent a pool company "technician" who was actually just a kid. After 5 minutes he said we weren't maintaining our pool properly. I told we have a pool maintenance company who has serviced our pool weekly since it was built and told him we have the records. He then said one section of the gas line by the meter was too small so AHS wasn't paying.

He then tried to sell us a heater. I called his office and the owner refused to take the call. The person answering the phone hung up on me. I called back and asked for their address and they refused to give it.

I called AHS and their service and attitude was even worse!! I was passed from person to person and left on hold each time for up to 30 minutes. For a second opinion I would have to have them pick a second company and pay another 75.00 service fee.

I can't believe this company is legal!!Thousands and thousands of similar complaints on line.

• Fo
    Ford Blunt III Jul 28, 2016

I have had AHS for about 10 years. I just called them about my leaking water heater. They sent out a contractor. I paid the $75. The contractor said you definitely need a new water heater and wrote up itemized costs for the amount of the install which totaled over $1000. I stated AHS should pay for all this right? The contractor said AHS will pay for the water heater, but not everything else and that I needed to get the water heater up to code. I called AHS and they said they would provide the water heater and the price for 2 men to bring it to my home. Out of pocket expenses would still have been about $925. I told te contractor thanks, but no thanks. I called AHS for the cash out option. AHS said for the cash out I need to buy a water heater and install have it installed by a licensed plumber and activate the warranty. They would then reimburse me up to $342. I told them that I could not even find a 50-gallon tank electric water heater for less than $350., let alone pay a plumber to install it. I pay over $600/year for AHS and rarely use them. I really have issues when they can't even replace and install a water heater w/o out- of pocket expenses to the consumer. Then the cash-out option process is so tedious most people don't even go through of completing it. Which is what AHS wants.

• Ro
    Robert T Jul 25, 2016

To Whom it nay concern:

Please allow me to present details of the service call made to AHS on July 1st. 2016 @ approx. 10:55 am.

On this date stated above, I received a phone call from my property management company for the the above address informing me that the tenant at the address ( who by the way is a senior citizen with COPD ) heard a thumping noise coming from the HVAC unit, but it was still operational. I immediately went on line to request service. AHS sent me conformation of request and forwarded the HVAC company tasked with this repair request( vendor name: BUTLER'S HVAC SERVICE, dispatch #[protected]), I contacted the company by phone and spoke to a Samantha, explained the urgency of the repair citing that the tenant was a senior and had a respiratory condition and needed emergent service. I was informed that they did not give emergent coverage for AHS clients, and would not be available until the 5th of July due to the holiday. As I mentioned before the HVAC at the property was still operational and I was willing to except that date of service.

On the 5th of July a service tech arrived on site, dismantled the unit & stated he needed parts that would have to be ordered and left the tenant without A/C in her condition. My property management company called me with concern for this situation of no A/C for this tenant in her condition and stated we need to address this ASAP.

I immediately reached out to AHS customer service about this and was told, " we are so sorry for this inconvenience, we will reimburse you $60 for rental or purchase of temporary A/C or fans, but there is nothing more we can do". My management company said that box fans were already in place but this was not adaquate. I continued to look into this by calling the HVAC contracted company and again spoke to Samantha about the situation. I asked why was the HVAC disabled and leaving the tenant without A/C and the response was " as not to cause any further damage to the unit" and we will not return to repair it for approx. 1 week or until the parts arrive and we have someone available to complete the repairs.

Now hopefully you have an understanding of the possible liability and frustration I was dealing with.

I then contacted AHS customer service again and of course by now I was very emotional with getting no satisfactory resolve to this potentially escalating liability of my tenant succumbing to the heat with dangerous and possibly life threatening results. I lost my temper with your service rep by raising the tone in my voice who was not offering any customer satisfaction or concern for my tenant. The rep informed me at that time that because of my attitude I was being put on the " Non-Renewal list " per instruction of her manager who would not talk with me upon my several requests, which only made the situation more frustrating. You have a Non-renewal list? Something tells me I'm not the only one with a problem in communicating with your customer service dept., that you have a "Non-Renewal list".

Now faced with the situation of not getting the help needed for my senior tenant and the possibility of a major liability of neglect with not getting the HVAC unit repaired immediately, I was left with the decision to call a local HVAC company who would go to the property and repair the unit.

Upon inspection of the HVAC unit, the owner of the company called my property manager and said the unit was dismantled and all the parts needed to repair it were taken by the previous tech. Now the situation begins to escalate from here. I called the contracted HVAC company again asking that they return the parts so the repair could be made that day and my request was denied. So I again called my property management company who in turn contacted the local HVAC company who immediately went to work on the unit and repaired it by cannibalizing a unit in their shop the same day in order to effect repairs immediately. Now that is service.

This letter is a request for the $60 for the inconvenience of having to pay for the inadequate service fee of $100 to your contracted service company.

• Pa
    Pam Barrett Jul 05, 2016

ive been with ahs for 20 years. there have been bad, and some good. my latest experience was for a service call on a water heater. the initial review at the top was EXACTLY what happened to me. the plumber who came said the water heater was covered, but he had to alter the pipes on the unit so there would be a $225 surchage on top of the $75 service fee and on top of what ahs pays them. i called 3 different plumbers and they all said i had a standard installation an total install would be $150. Since i had been waiting for over 3 days without hot water, i went ahead and had one of the plumbers i had call install it and THEN ahs calls to tell me the total amount they would pay me was 340 less the 75 service fee i had not paid to their plumber because he had not done anything. my initial call also included repairing two leaky faucets in bathroom shower, so i said fine send him back to fix the faucets since i had already paid the $75 fee. when he came he said he could not do the repair until i had a tile guy come in and enlarge the holes in the tile that the valves came out of and ahs would call me with what needed to be done. after 5 days waiting for ahs to call i finally called them and they said the plumber had never called it in. after putting me on hold again, they said i would have to wait for a call from another dept who said ahs would not pay for the tile work and i would need to get that done before the plumber would come back. at that point i cancelled mh ahs policy and will now be looking for a better company. what a complete ripoff/scam they have going on... i think i will just put the 50/month in a savings and then when something breaks, i will have the money to pay for it myself!

• Am
    Amiels Shieggnis Jun 03, 2016

I have had american Home Shield in the past with no problems until now. I do not know what has changed but after putting a service request in for water heater and forced air heater there was never a follow up by them or one of their contracters. In the pass I would get an email and a call from a repair person that day or the next. It has been over a week and I haven't had any response. I called numerous time and each time the wait was 20- 35 minutes and even after getting trhough I still did not recieve a email or call from a repair person. What a waste of time and money! I ended up having to get the water heater paid for and installed on my own . The forced air heater will have to wait as now I am broke. I have cancelled my policy and suggest you never get one with American Home Shield!

• Za
    Zahera Jun 03, 2016

American Home shield is the most worthless services home owners can purchase.They say at your service whenever you have an emergency, my water heater broke, didn't get service for 72hrs, was without water for 72hrs and when I finally had a someone come over they wouldn't pay for services because my water heater had to be moved due to coding issues, so I had to pay $1000 out of pocket and AHS paid zero. Thanks AHS for nothing and after been with your company for 6yrs and that's why I cancelled your services. Save your money monthly in a jar and when something around your house breaks and you need service crack it open, that will be much better than this worthless company!!!

• Ca
    Carla2078 Apr 06, 2016

If you are approached by AHS. RUN as soon as you can. I like to state facts, so I will keep this one simple…

FACT 1: Dishwasher leaking and request placed online 3/21/2016
    FACT 2: Technician from GE arrives, turns on nozzle. States nothing was wrong with the dishwasher.
    FACT 3: Ran the dishwasher on 3/27/2016 leak turns into a flood
    FACT 4: Placed another request over the phone 3/27/2016. I was told that a technician would not arrive until the follow week.
    FACT 5: On 3/28/2016 kitchen is completely flooded – Service request ticket now placed in “escalation” status by AHS
    FACT 6: Technician #2 from different vendor arrives 3/29/2016 says cost to repair to high, and the dishwasher should be replaced
    FACT 7: Technician #2 turn nozzle on to dishwasher, cabinet and kitchen flooded again
    FACT 8: Called American Home Shield 3/31/2016 they have not received any information from the technician
    FACT 9: On 4/1/2016 given another number from AHS to call to order a new dishwasher. Was told while I was at work that MUST be home to provide them with the dimensions of the old dishwasher before they could order the new dishwasher. They stated that they could not use the dimension provided by the GE technician or the second vendor they sent out.
    FACT 10: Measured dishwasher, and was told my dimensions were incorrect. My dimensions were sent to another department and someone would call me back at a late time.
    FACT 11: Received a 4/4/2016 from a GE technician #2 that said he fixed my dishwasher LOL!!!
    FACT 12: Received a call from technician #2 on 4/4/2016 stating that they had a replacement but could not give me a date or time for the install
    FACT 13: After several emails, several phone calls, and several days missed of work… my dishwasher was finally installed on 4//5/2016.

These are the steps AHS uses to repair your appliances. If you choose this company BEWARE!!! You will lose time from work, forced to make multiple phone calls, and send many emails before your issue is resolved. I have cancelled my contract after one month of using this company, and switched to another company. Like the saying goes… “Cheaper is not always better.”

virginia tuason Mar 29, 2016

What's this insurance for when I cannot get help from you. You do not comply to the contract we agreed. I;m paid in full for the whole year and this is my first claim.

virginia tuason Mar 29, 2016

What's the insurance for when it doesn't comply with the agreement stated on the contract.

virginia tuason Mar 29, 2016

I don't understand why AHS doesn't want to cover my garage door OPENER. What is this insurance for? I'm paying too much for this insurance when you refuse to cover the stuff that is stated on the contract I paid.
    Please do something about this matter. I had recommended you to all my family and friends and they all signed up because of my recommendation.
    Virginia Tuason

• Le
    Leigh Lomax Feb 25, 2016

This company is the worst! I used them in 2005 and they did a good job. I bought a new house and decided to rent my other one, so I bought two warranties, one for each house. The contractors they use today pretty much just come to the door, collect the deductible and tell you they can't fix the covered problem. When you try to call AHS they don't answer the phone. I will switch as soon as possible.

Jack S man. Feb 10, 2016

I did not know contractors had this issue with AHS. My experience has been good so far for 3 years. My nephew works for AHS and honestly, considering they have over 2.2 million customers, this page has around 40-50 complaints dating from 2010... I'd say that's not too bad actually. The only home warranty company even rated with the BBB (as A+)... they're doing something right. I've found it just depends on the contractor you get - if you get a good one, you'll be in good hands, but if you get a crappy one then it can be a pain in the ###. All in all it's saved me from buying a new furnace and a new upstairs ac unit, both would've been 3-4 thousand each and both were replaced, only cost was service charge of 125 each time and coolant cost.

No complaints yet... fingers crossed though...

• Je
    jejaone Jan 19, 2016

I am totally pissed off with AHS--1st Issue-Contractor advised my Dishwasher was more expensive to repair---advised to replace (March 2015). Decided to wait until the end of the year. Nov 2015 called the Appliance Dept . advised them I was ready to replace my dishwasher/well I spoke with Brad-Tamika-Monica-Cindy-Kim--All of theses reps told me I would get a check for 339.00 /check came it was 264.00 of course called back and of course they put the blame on me. Every time I call this company its a pain in the butt. Well I spoke with another rep last week and he assured me I would receive the additional money in 3-5 business days/Just called and they act like I pulled this info out the air!!! Of course they will not let you speak to supervisor/Just eternal hold--basically told me they didn't /not going to give the service fee back --they advised they already did---just past me around like I'm nothing-2nd issue Garbage disposal--has been service so may times I lost count---spoke to rep was advised that needs to be replaced---did everything I was asked and now no one has any record of that conversation---Just spoke with a rep who basically said I was lying---I asked for supervisor---oh no cant get a supervisor!!! I have NEVER dealt with a company that treats their customers in this matter. I have been holding for someone for 45 minutes----was able to post this comment and still no one has accepted my call---BEWARE of this company!!!

Jamie Brooke Jan 15, 2016

I don't blame the plumbers that American Home Shield sent out to fix a leak coming from my kitchen sink, I blame AHS-- my nightmare with AHS. July 2015 I had a leak under my vegetable sink (small sink) in my kitchen, I called AHS, my Home warranty company for the past year, they sent out a plumber (His and Hers plumbing). The plumber came out and looked under the sink he could see the water in the cabinet but couldn't find where the leak was coming from he said "I can't fix a leak I can't see" and refused to investigate any further than the pipes he could see under the cabinet, he said they would send someone else out to investigate the leak ($75.00 charge) No one ever called or came back out--we quit using the sink. A couple of months later I opened the cabinet and found a puddle of water in the bottom of the cabinet (without any one using of the sink) I called AHS again and requested a different plumber come out to fix the leak, they sent a plumber out and he found the leak it was coming from the faucet and the faucet needed to be replaced, the plumber called AHS and told them the problem and AHS said they wanted a second opinion and called His and Hers plumbing to come out and give them a second opinion (the first company that came out and said they can't fix a leak they can't see). The cost to replace the faucet with a faucet of equal quality would be $230.00 (we have commercial grade faucets in our home) AHS didn't want to replace it due to the price of the faucet and keeps coming up with excuses (second opinions) to keep from having to pay for a new faucet. I have paid $800.00 in premiums over the past year and they can't replace a $250.00 faucet? If you have builder grade materials and appliances in you home this warranty might work for you, anything above that you are wasting your money. The one question I asked before purchasing this warranty was "if something needs to be replaced will you replace it with something of equal quality" the answer they gave was "YES". This company is dishonest and Michael (AHS employee) that refused to listen to my compliant with a rational mind or a shred of compassion are not the type of people you want to entrust with a huge investment like your home.

• Ti
    Tiffany Burke Oct 21, 2015

This definitely is a SCAM! My hot water tank sprung a leak in my finished basement and my appraiser was scheduled to come within 48 hours. I had to call a plumber immediately before everything was ruined. My plumber came and resolved the problem by disposing and replacing the hot water tank within 3 hours of calling. I submitted the invoice and AHS was not willing to work with me at all!!! Their representative even admitted that they probably would not have been able to respond as quickly as my plumber and the representative admitted that the price was more than reasonable. I tried to email AHS twice about the claim denial and never received a response. I finally obtained a number from my realtor and still received poor customer service. This company will not even work with you even in an emergency. DO NOT USE!!!

• Cd
    cdavid395 Sep 08, 2015

My dad has been 3 days without his AC they told us the person would be out this morning at 9 am . When 11 am came around we called AHS they said they "make a mistake" and they people are coming out tomorrow at 9am. what are they odd they come out and fix it the first time ? from everything i am reading about american home shield takes more then one time out to fix it .. my dad cat is panting its so dam hott . FYI to anyone looking to get this service just like everything else in life it all about money . They sure dont care about the customer !!!

• So
    SOCR 03 Sep 06, 2015

My dryer broke and I called American Home Shield, I was told it would be two weeks before the technician could fix the problem. Okay that seems a litle excessive but I went with it. I was also told that the tech would be at my house between the hours of (8 am to 5 pm) That is not going to work as I and most pepole work full time jobs and if you are not there you do not get paid. I call American Home Shield and tell them this and I was told that the tech would call me on my cell phone when he was one hour out. I pull into my drive way around 3:45 pm and the guy is in his van getting ready to leave. He gets out and tells me he has been trying to call me I ask him what number he gives it to me and it is the home phone no wonder he can get a hold of me I am not at home but at work. He comes into the house and looks at the dryer he does not have all the parts to fix it, the dryer is approx 12 14 years old. He calls American Home Shield and ask's to replace it the total bill to fix this 12 yaer old dryer is 723.12. American Home Shield tells him to fix it. He orders the parts and tells me he will not be able to be out here for two more weeks. So I will have been with out a dryer for a little over a month. I paid around 300 dollars for this dryer 12 or so years ago it will cost almost 800.00 to fix it. The technicians service was outstanding but the customer service from American Home Shield was no doubt subpar. I could go on but this is enough. I am not a business man but I do know that if it will cost 723.00 dollars to fix an item but that same item will cost between 300, 500 dollars to replace with a new one then I will take the latter. It is amazing that with this type of logic that AHS is applying that they can even turn a profit or stay in business. I paid for a service and did not get the service that I paid for. But they AHS still got thier money. If I had to rate this business it would no doubt be a negetive 10.

• Al
    aldante pines Sep 01, 2015

AC went out in August. 90+ degrees. Called AHS and they had one of their contractors (Rudd Mechanical in Denver) come out and immediately identified the problem as a condenser. They notified AHS who in part was suppose to order a 3.5 ton AC unit. Two weeks later the supposed unit arrived and Rudd came out to install it. They basically removed and replaced the unit. When they left the AC was working but had trouble keeping the temp. down. Three hours to lower it from 74 to 73 degrees. Worse, at about 1am every night the fan stop working and I would wake up sweating. We called and text Rudd Mech. and they never responded. After 4 nights of this I called another AC company who found the following issues: Instead of a 3.5 ton AC unit they put in a 5 ton unit. This apparently requires a different orifice, which is why the coils were a block of ice not allowing air to pass thru them. Also, there is a filter that is supposed to be changed whenever you replace the compressor, which was not done. And one last thing, the circuit breaker at the unit was worn so bad it was barely making a connection. After it is all said and done I will be paying an addition $1400 dollars plus the $335 Rudd Mech. charged. My conclusion is that AHS is not worth the supposed peace of mind it was supposed to give us. I will continue to write these scathing reports until AHS changes there ways.

• Fa
    Familia Perez Aug 19, 2015

Marvin: from Atlanta, Florida & Fort Bragg
    I am a user of their service. I had the mistake to place on three properties. Biggest mistake. You might get them on the first call to initiate a request, after that, there will be a battle. from 60 to 175 minutes on hold. Never responds to emails. Had to pay three times the deductible ($375)and NEVER got the issue corrected. Ended up paying a separate contractor for $450. PLus they keep sending me bills. I requested on another property an air conditioning check up. What ever the contractor told them was required, AHS would say no and perform something different. I ask myself, who is the expert the contractor they send or the phone consultant??? this lasted nine months and to date I will NEVER recommend or UTILIZE for any project. Their inadequate customer serveice compilied with POOR phone service and wanting to cheat contractors is NOT what they announce on radio, TV and Emails. I hope everyone that have issues with them get the courage to write something and NOT pass it off.

• Mm
    MMacDonald Jun 30, 2015

I have had a contract for 12 years with AMS. They used to be worthwhile. Poor customer service with extensive wait time, poorly trained phone personnel, inability to speak to supervisors, and continual phone tag games to delay are just a few reasons you do not want to deal with this organization. I can't imagine what contractors would gain from wanting to associate themselves with this organization. New home buyers, and realtors beware. Mortgage companies should not recommend this organization as reputable. Needless to say, I will not be renewing my contract.

• Fr
    Frustrated in Mariposa Jan 15, 2015

1/15/15 American Home Shield AHS limits coverage by transferring an item to a "Boiler" status so they only have to pay $1, 500.00 on a $4, 735. item. My Polaris Water Heater originally cost $3, 000.00. Replacement cost now is $4, 735.00 Water Heaters & Heating Units supposedly have no limits on their coverage, but AHS reclassified my Polaris Water Heater as a Boiler so they only have to pay $1, 500.00! This took 8 days and many phone calls on my part, without AHS responding in a timely manner. I have been a AHS customer for over 4 years with as many as 4 homes on the plan. I called every year and asked if my Polaris Water Heater had any coverage limitations and it was always “No”. No limits on Water Heaters or Air/Heating Units. Then why wasn’t my unit covered in full….they reclassified it….In my opinion this is fraud.

• Be
    bethel7 Oct 15, 2014

AHS sent out an AC repair man who stated he need ed to replace the AC condenser with over a thousand dollars because of so called upgrades. I dropped AHS and went with another warranty company whose AC contractor fixed everything in one day no condenser was need repairs were about one hundred and sixty dollars and now it works fine. AHS's AC contractor cost them a customer of eight years because they trusted their crooked AC contractor!

• Ms
    msrozz Apr 27, 2014

This review is lengthy and could be longer, but this is a true, honest experience we have had with AHS. We have had this service since we bought our home in 2002 with a brief 6 months back in 2005 when we didn't have them. We have called them out every summer for 12 years, sometimes twice and have called them out in the winter time as well. They send someone to do patch work on the ac units, we have two units in our home and both have had issue but the main unit is the one that has issues constantly. This past Tuesday, we came home to a hot house. We are in Texas and its already hot here! I called AHS and spoke to a very rude agent...I was rude too afterward. I pay this bill every month for 12 years and pay every time someone comes out. They sent a company out on Wednesday. The company that came out stated it was the coils and it would need replacing as well as leaks etc. but the coils were clean. He then gave us a sales pitch for a new unit that they could install. We have kept this service for all of this time because we knew and they knew that these units are going to need replacing, not just patching up. And by the way, our electric bills in the summer run between $400 and as high as $1000 before. Our units are 1997 units. On Thursday, we received a call from AHS stating that our out of pocket will be $1500 and $600 of that is the freon, it uses R22. They stated that the company normally charges $60 per pound of freon but they saved me money by only charging $50 per pound!!! I asked them what are they paying for and how much they are paying but they claimed to not have that information. And to add salt to this, they said we could do a cash out and find our own repair person and they would pay us what they would have paid the company that gave us the estimate...that amount is $620 but you only get it when you submit the receipts showing the repairs have been done! I asked about canceling my service because I just bought all new appliance for the kitchen and laundry so I really don't need their service if they aren't going to pay for a new ac unit. They told me I would have to pay cancellation fees and penalties...my contract end June 26, 2014! We have wasted so much money with this company, the rates have gone up every year and the service fees have to. I also didn't mention that we had them to come out a few years ago to replace out garbage disposal, the guy comes out. uses a broom, it worked all of 3 days, I called AHS back and they said they would not send anyone else out nor fix it! We let that slide thinking our home was otherwise protected...NOT! If an item is covered under warranty and it breaks, how can you charge for the repercussions of the non functioning item, i.e. FREON! Look all over the internet, complaint after complaint about AHS and HVAC systems and they always find a loophole to not replace!