American Home Shield Corporation [AHS] Logo

American Home Shield Corporation [AHS]

Having problems with American Home Shield Corporation [AHS]?

+1 888 682 1043 (Customer Service)
+1 800 735 4663 (For Real Estate Professionals)
860 Ridge Lake Blvd

P.O. Box 851, Memphis, TN 38101-0851

Payment Address
P.O. Box 2803, Memphis, TN 38101-2803

Complaints & Reviews

lied about service requirements on a/c

repair man came and determined that the a/c wasn't covered since it had "dirty coils" and wanted $1300 to clean and repair unit. Of course he did not take the unit apart to see the coils...he must be superman as he could see right through the unit to make this determination. I called another company at my expense and it was only low on freon. Done with service call for less then the service call from American Home Shield

American Home Shield did not return the original thief's service call fee or take any action at all!

• Pb
    PBall Jun 07, 2015

Would not coverage AC replacement.
    I also have had a bad experience with AHS. My AC compressor unit stopped working. Called AHS and they sent out a repair man who took less than 5 min to look at my unit. He informed me the compressor was fired. When I called AHS to follow up with my claim they informed me my claim was declined do to "the coils were dirty" from lack of maintenance and therefore declined my claim. Told me I had to get a second opinion and pay for it out of pocket and pay to replace the unit and then ask for reimbursement. I contacted another air conditioner repair company who came and examined my unit and told me that the compressor failed due to normal wear and tear and for no other reason. AHS still refused to reimburse me. This is definitely a scam company. DO NOT USE THEM..

• Da
    Daisy Fields Nov 25, 2015

I have a dishwasher that was not working properly. The contractor said the dishwasher needed a new motor, but he refused to write it down on the report. He said he needed to talk to American Home Shield first. The repairman told American Home Shields that my dishwasher was working properly. He lied. Don't use this company because the repairman and American Home Shield are working together to denied claims at the homeowner expense.

inferior customer service

We just terminated our contact with AHS. This fall would have been 30 years of us having a contract with them. We were fed up with the poor quality, incompetent companies they send out for repairs. We’ve seen a steady decline in the customer service provided. Despite all our years of being loyal customers, they continually tried to deny claims or replace appliances that could not be repaired.

We had a problem with a blocked toilet and received a letter from AHS saying it was no longer covered by the contract because the plumber they sent out said a foreign object had been put down it. This was not true. They sent an incompetent plumber who tracked muddy footprints on our newly cleaned carpet, had no rag to hold his plunger or auger in, dripped dirty water all over the floor and carpet, and did not unclog the toilet.

Our water heater needed replacing, but they refused to do so. They said the water heater was installed incorrectly and this was what caused the problem. The company AHS sent out was the one who installed it. This was the final straw that caused us to cancel our contract. It wasn't until my husband wrote a letter to the State of California Dept. of Insurance that they suddenly were responsive to our water heater situation.

I would get so stressed with each repair that was needed. A few years ago I had to wait 6 weeks for a part for my 3 year old washing machine because AHS would not get the part from Sears and used some other distributor. This gives you a clue of the type of customer service they provide.

They have no customer service supervisor to contact to try to get problems resolved. You have to repeat your situation to the person who answers the 800 number, and they have service centers in several states. You cannot speak with the same person. You have to start all over again describing your problem.

The stress of having poor customer service does not make AHS worth having. I now can call a local plumber who comes out and takes care of the problem quickly and competently. I told AHS that I will tell anyone I know not to use their service.

• Gl
    Gloria Brinkman Oct 13, 2008

I also had a difficult time getting a hot water tank replaced. Even though my contract states it was covered. AHS sent out a plumber who quoted me 1085.00 to replace heater tank. AHS would only cover (according to the service man) 300.00 of this.
    We thought the price was outrageous and contacted A.HS. wanting a second opinion . they refused to send out anyone else, we than contacted no less than 3 different sources for a replacement. Their cost no higher than 675.00. AHS than stated it was all the saftey extras we needed before they could install. We had just had the house earthquake checked and had passed. I questioned the coverage, they informed me they would not pay 300.00 but only 200.00 out of that amount they would deduct the 55.00 for the service call my cash out 184.00 . I couldn't replace a bracket for the Tank at that price. A new tank alone( cheapest quote 575.00) that was just the tank! when I questioned them on why my contract said I was covered the only explanation they kept giving me was. That was the price their service contractors gave them. I asked what source they had to purchase a 675.00 water tank for 184.00 installed. They turned nasty and said the cash out was my only option or pay the outrageous price there service man had presented. I just don't know how they get away with this fraud? Isn't there any agency who can protect the comsumer to fraud like this? We are senior citizens and have taken out this insurance to protect us in case of a big expensive repair on out home. Looks like we were takne again!!! I now have a dishwasher that is not operating, but even though it states in my contract it is covered, I hesitate to call AHS and pay a service man 55.00 only to be told the problem is not covered! Unfortunately, we would only find that out by having them send out a repairman!
    By the way, we ended up replacing the Hot Water Tank at our own expense. With the help of a very generous member (plumber) from our church who installed it for us free of charge. Cost of the Tank 671.00 Cash out from AHS. 184.00 which we have yet to receive!!!

not really insurance but a fraud

When we had a plumbing leak we called our insurance company(American Home Shield) they sent out their...

no service at all

Air conditioner repair - they sent a incompetent technician that did nothing. I complained, the redispatched from the same company. Nobody showed up. After contacting ahs again, I requested a totally different repair company. Ahs said I would have to pay the service fee again! I asked to talk to the manager, and after being put on hold (With a recording continually reassuring me that I was a very valuable customer), I was finally told that all the managers were busy and one would call me back! Still waiting in the heat!!

janine bookwalter Nov 29, 2008

I called American Home Shield for service. They told me I would receive a call within 4 hours. After three hours I called the name of the technician to see when he might come out. He did not even kn0w about it. John from NB acted astounded. He said the furnace had no major problem but needed a cleaning. Someone from American Home Shield called and gave me the same information. I had the furnace cleaned last year in December so it is not quite a full year. I was planning on calling in the month of December to get the cleaning done. I did not use the contract for anything this year. So after approximately $500.00 for the contract and the $60.00 I had to pay for the call, I still need to find someone to fix the furnace. Take my name off your list and do NOT call me for a renewal. They had no problem calling me when they wanted me to sign the contract. I have been scammed and I do not want to hear from them again. Find some other sucker. I am done!!!

poor service

I had Grayson Collin Appliance company come out to fix my GE dryer. They were sent out by American home...

beware customer

For those of you considering this service do not, you will be sorry!

I signed up with american home shield (Herein also referred to as ahs) on 08/09/07 and my first payment was charged to my credit card on 08/15/07 as agreed, and every month thereafter on time every time, without fail.

On the evening of 04/09/08 our water heater began to leak from the top of the tank. By the morning of 04/10/08 it began also leaking from the bottom. This of course meant that we had to turn off all hot water to our home. I contacted ahs on 04/10/08 at 11:08am and they assigned a vendor (Ars rescue rooter) and I was contacted by ars rescue rooter within an hour and told they would have a technician come out between 1:00pm and 6:00pm the same day. The technician arrived at 2:15pm and I took him to our crawlspace to surmise the problem. Before even making it to the water heater he shook his head and blurted out code violations (Apparently the ars rescue rooter illicit m. O.). To my surprise because I had just purchased the home 2 years prior and we had the crawlspace area thoroughly inspected. He made a call to ahs for approval and I waited to hear about coverage information. I was contacted by ahs within about 30 minutes, approximately 2:55pm. The ahs rep. Told me that they would cover the water heater because the problem was due to normal wear but he said that he was informed by the vendor that there were code issues in relation to the water heater that would cost an additional $900.00 out of pocket. I spoke with the technician and he stated that he could not perform any work without doing all the work due to county laws and ars rescue rooter policy. I then asked the technician to provide me with a written copy of the estimate, to my shock he refused and stormed off (Right across our new sod, as a mention to his mindset in regard to respect for clientele).

The proper protocol ars rescue rooter (Herein also referred to as ars) should have followed as a professions is as follows; to resolved the water heater quandary; then the representative should have given me a detailed invoice (I was never given any detailed information in writing as requested) stating services performed by him/ars rescue rooter and listed any concerns he felt should be addressed. He then could have pulled a permit or I could have as the home owner and any alleged code violations found upon inspection are strictly the responsibility of the property owner, period. Certainly not a vendor hired to resolve an urgent situation issue by a home warranty company.in truth there were no code violations as confirmed by an authentic professional and an inspector. The only additional work possibly considered necessary, not under warranty by ahs, was the compression tank and that is only required if we upgrade the tank we currently had, not simply replace with a comparable item. By the way, the expansion tank is a $20.00 item retail if we had of requested a new one to be installed, and at no time did we request to have ars to remove our old unit.

A very long story shorter; I contacted ahs to inform them of the misconduct, attempted extortion and exploitation of a client in a vulnerable situation. I was informed by ahs that I could opt for the cash out option but I would have to wait. To add insult to injury ahs finally offered me a cash out offer of $165.00 to cover the cost of the water heater and the labor to repair it. I have since verified with the county and a legitimate plumber that the alleged code violation pointed out by the technician were in fact erroneous and I have had to have the problem repaired on my own at a total cost of $379.44 just for the water heater with labor, and this was at a substantially discounted price from a well known service provider. The lack of cooperation in resolving our issue from ahs is in direct violation of our agreement, resulting in our home having no hot water for four days due directly to the fact that we counted on ahs and as a direct result of providing a contractor (Ars rescue rooter) that practices illicit and unscrupulous business practices, preying on the vulnerable.

Please keep in mind that I am a ga state licensed master electrician and a ga state licensed residential real estate specialist. I deal with these types of situations daily with my clients as well as various trades and inspectors, including all local authorities. I have recommended american home shield many times in the past to clients because ahs paints such a convincing picture. American home shield - it seems like a good idea — prepaid home maintenance, basically a service contract or extended warranty on your house. The ahs booklet states, commitment to your total satisfaction, that is why we back every job we do with the unique money back guarantee shown on the back of your home warranty... Ahs guarantees that all approved covered service repairs will be completed to your satisfaction. If for any reason you are not satisfied with that service received, we will work with you until you are satisfied or we will refund the trade service fee. Unfortunately, I have found from many other consumers in researching ahs on the internet that too often ahs home warranty doesn't work out that way... And when it comes time to deliver; ahs does not even make an attempt at providing adequate, competent service to their clientele at a time of need. I am now doing as much damage control as I feasible can in regard to rescinding previous recommendations for american home shield I have made to my clients.

Bottom line, I have been in no way compensated for the four days we were forced to live with cold water only in our home due directly to negligence on the part of american home shield. Had I realized that we would be unable to count on american home shield I would have had a new water heater installed the same day as the problem occurred. I know several honest plumbing contractors due to my daily field activities.in addition, american home shield has fallen well short of proper compensation for our water heater quandary, even at a fundamental cost level, by any standard.

After I filed a complaint with the better business bureau ahs did send another check for an additional $150.00.

To sum up, service was never provided nor was adequate compensation; which is in direction violation of our agreement. This act by ahs and failure to react responsibly when required nullifies any and all agreements that may have been in effect prior to the morning of 04/10/08 leaving a full amount still due of $312.00.

• Tj
    T. J. Wright Dec 27, 2009

Consumers should band together as there seem to be a consistent pattern with AHS non-performance. My e-mail is [email protected] I am willing to coordinate and collect
    data with the intent of filing a class action law suit against this firm for breach of contract, fraudulent business practices, etc. Respond with valid claims, names, dates, specifics, etc.
    Leave the emotion out of it, just the fact please, and lets see what can be accomplished.

• St
    Stevie Nowonder Dec 29, 2009

I keep hearing the same thing so I got rid of the service. $40 bucks a month and to be told Ah we can't help ya. No thanks! Also beware of MISTER SPARKY they are also so rip offs!

don't use them

This is the complaint I just sent to the bbb:

on 06/26/08 ahs sent out pipe down services to my home to repair my water heater and leaking faucet in my master bath tub. The service tech "Rick" looked at the water heater and the faucet and came back with a list of "extra" charges that ahs doesn't cover. He said as soon as I wrote him a check for $675.00 he could get started on the job. In 2000 I had the water heater replaced. I paid the tech the $35.00 house call fee and the water heater was replaced. Rick said I had to bring the water heater up to building code. I understood this and told him I would get back to him. After spending the afternoon doing some research I found that pipe down services was a little pricey on their extra charges. Even if I needed some of these extras, I found these parts and permits for $98.22. This was if I purchased the most expensive parts that Lowes and home depot had to offer. What I found most interesting was that by just looking at the master bath faucet, he determined that the valves had to be replaced. I guess Rick has x-ray vision.

While Rick was in my home, ahs called me to go over the extra charges. I told them I thought that the extra charges were over inflated. I was then referred to the buy out department and they said someone would get back to me in 24 hours. Several days later someone from the buy out department called me and offered me less than $250 to replace the cost of the heater. After checking at Lowes and home depot I knew the cost would be between $239 and $350 and this would not include parts and labour. I was told this was my only option. I then called your customer service department and asked for a different service company to come out to my house. I was refused. They said my only options were to pay $675 to pipe down services to do the work or take the money that the buy out department offered me. I then spoke to the customer service manager who would only tell me his name was “Ed T” and he said the same thing.

I do not want pipe down services in my home again. This man displayed his plumber’s crack proudly each time he bent over. While I was on the phone with ahs he stood by me reading sensitive papers on my desk. I will purchase the parts out of my own pocket to bring the water heater up to building code although I don’t believe half of them are necessary. After speaking with several plumbing companies, I was told that unless the leak was coming from the top of the tank, they would not have to be replaced. I also found out that unless the tech had looked behind the bathroom tile, there is no way he could have known that the valves had to be replaced. Please contact me immediately so that we may resolve this ongoing issue.

stay away

AHS was going to have to replace a blown A/C compressor at my house. The tech inspected it, agreed it had just failed under normal operation, and left.

An hour later, we get a call from a rude AHS rep telling us that the repair was denied due to a couple of dented fins on the compressor. This is a large unit with close to 40 square feet of heat exchanger. When the rep contradicted himself about the diagnoses a minute into the call, he cursed and hung up on us.

This company seems to make money on the idea that when something big breaks, you need it repaired. They'll string you along with "we'll get back to you tomorrow", until you get tired of having no heat in the winter, and your pipes burst, or no AC in the summer or your stove catches fire.

So you'll end up paying full retail for the repair and having to go through the aggravation of waiting - and you'll still have spent worthless money for their "coverage".

Anthony L Oct 03, 2008

AHS is the worst cmpany I have ever dealt with! My pool heater broke and the tech advised the company it needed to be replaced. I bought the extra coverage to make sure the pool equipment was covered. Its 6 weeks later and they say they ordered a comparable heater. Come to find out that they ordered a small spa heater not a 14000' gallon pool heater. I looked it up on the net and it will only heat a small spa, NOT to be used for pools. The customer service is AWEFUL. They have attitude and do not have any concept of customer service. I highly advise all to stay away from AHS home warranty!!!

• Ni
    Nicole Apr 23, 2009

Simply put: AHS is the worst company ever! Poor customer service, no one will ever call you back. If you request to talk to a supervisor...good luck! They will take your money and never fix the problems. The warranty came free with my house when i bought it and i am sooo happy i did not waste my money on this company. It is a waste of time and money! DO NOT service a contract with AHS EVER! Their technicians are horrible as well that they send out.

• Fr
    fred May 06, 2009

I couldn't agree more. The company goes out of their way to sell, sell, sell but not stand behind their product. Every excuse possible for not performing service. I had an A/C unit denied for having a dent in the side caused by son hitting it with a baseball when he was 8 years old. My unit is 19 years old and my son is now 22 years old. I guess it took 14 years for that dent to finally takes its toll on the system.

AHS is a rip off

• Fr
    Frisch Sep 20, 2009

I have had similar issues with this company. In August 2017 they were called to repair a water leak. A hole was cut in my celing to locate the water leak from upstairs and the ceiling was supposed to be repaired by another company. As of 9/20/09 I am still fighting with them to get the hole repaired. Customer service rep was very arguementive and unprofessional. When I tried to talk she interrupted and kept stating that they were waiting on the plumbing company to call in the size of the hole so that they could contact a drywall service to repair the hole. There is no Quality check-ups or follow throughs to ensure customer satisfaction.

ChrisPokorny Jan 13, 2011

Stay away from this company. They are a bunch of con artists in suits. They take your money and send people that have no business doing repairs. They won't return calls, repair inadequate repairs, refund your money. Save your money, look elsewhere for a company that truly stands behind their work and treats you like a customer, not a dollar bill! Had this company for six years, went downhill horribly!!! I would not get this company to repair my doghouse!

beware

In December of 2007 I purchased a home in Henderson, Nevada, and paid an additional $600.00 for the home warranty by American Home Shield.

I purchased the so called "INSURANCE" because I was buying an older home. Upon going through the house, I noticed water damage: the roof had leaked during a recent rain, something I did not know was going to happen. I called the realtor I went through to buy the house, and asked about how to file a claim as I had not received anything from American Home Shield. She was shocked to learn they had not sent anything in line of policy information. So she contacted them to have them contact me. No one contacted me. Under my policy, the roof, the electrical, heating, air conditioner, water heater, all major appliances are covered as well as all plumbing issues are covered, or so I thought.

I never heard anything nor did I receive anything, as a result I shelled out $7500.00 to have the roof replaced, a roof that is covered under my policy. So I think all is well and I go to move a few things in and stay there over night. The outlet in the bathroom was hot.. Turns out the electrical/wiring needed to be redone. So once again I called to get the information on the policy, again nothing, so there goes $2500.00 out of my pocket to fix the electrical issues. All this was in January of 2008.

Then the locks jammed. A third call goes to try to get policy and contract information. Once again nothing, so that was yet more money, $700.00 to fix all the locks on house. THEN a plumbing issue came up, I FINALLY got a hold of someone from the American Home Shield. What happened was when I was doing a small load of laundry my mother went to use the bathroom and water backed up into the toilets, bath tubs, and in the laundry room, so I am telling the gal this, and I tell her, I am still in California, being unable to move into the home due to all of these issues and would not be in town until a few days later, and this is the beginning of May! I also inform her that at this time I had STILL not received any sort of policy related information. She sent the plumber out that day, and I received a nasty message on my voice mail from him asking why the ***
did I call for service if I had no plan to be present. I called back and tried to explain that the phone operator from American Home Shield knew that I was not there and I apologized for him being sent out like that. He snapped at me that he would have the receptionist call me back on Monday to schedule an appointment. The lady did call Monday, and was very rude, so I just scheduled for the Thursday coming up. I get to Henderson on Wednesday evening, and wake up early Thursday morning, even though the "TECHNICIAN" was not going to be there until noon. Noon rolls around, no show... so I call around 12:30 and they call the technician and he claims he called my cell phone to say he was running late but in truth, he never called because I used my cell phone to call them. SO I got mad and said why he didn’t leave a message, this is unprofessional on his part. So them I am told he is on his way and he will show in 5-10 minutes. 45 minutes go by, again nothing, so by this time I am furious and I call the plumbing company to cancel the appointment because my time may not be precious to them, but it is to me. So I am outside having a smoke when I call, and they claim the guy was at the end of the street when I called. SO I just blew up. I said really, my house IS at the end of the street and considering I was outdoors when I called and did not see him. I was basically called a liar by the company and they hung up on me.

So I called American Home Shield and basically told them that so far this policy has not paid for itself and that I refuse to deal with a company that treats their clients with so much disrespect. To this day, the middle of June, the plumbing issue has not been fixed, yet I am being charged a $50.00 service fee when their guy did not even show up! And I have been told that unless I PAY the fee, additional fees will be added. Here it is June, and I am just now moving into a home I purchased in December of 2007, and because of American Home Shields failure to provide policy information, I am out over $10, 000.00 on repairs that are covered under the policy I purchased. Look into your options, there are other companies out there that provide the same coverage's for sometimes less money and they are considerably more reliable.

• Br
    brenda jones Mar 18, 2009

i have tried for two summers to get my a/c replaced and no luck the fix it just enough and the tech tells us not to call unless it stops running all together, but we live in arizona nad it gets very, very hot.but to ahs as long as it it blowing even if it is barely cool air to them it is working.the tech basically told us that ahs will not put a new unit on our house and i have paid them enough money over the years i could have bought a new unit. i am going to cancel my ahs today. i think i have been ripped off long enough. brenda jones arizona

• To
    Tonik Feb 05, 2010

Hi! So sorry you all have had problems with your warranty. I am a realtor and provide warranties to my clients for free so I pay out of my pocket for the coverage. As a realtor, it is our responsibility to follow up with the warranty company when there is a problem. Realtors have more strength as we sell many warranties and can switch companies at the snap of our fingers. Hopefully, none of these issues will happen to any homes I have sold. Many people I have spoken to have told me that AHS was easy to deal with except one exception. There was a realtor who bought AHS for her client, the client had a A/C problem and they would not put freeon (SP?) in as they told them that it is not in their policy. The realtor involved called other warranty companies to see if that was part of their program and when she presented to AHS that all warranties covers freeon service, AHS came out and fixed the problem. Sorry to ramble but many times, your realtor should be involved to a certain point to help as we do have more strength as a group.

• Cf
    cfojimd Aug 13, 2018

I am rather upset with AHS. Been a customer for 12 years. Water Heater (Gas) is not functioning properly. Have called AHS about six times, they say call back tomorrow. That is a p*** Off factor. Every time I call I get another rep from Phillapines or somewhere else in the world. They speak extreme bad english. Wonder what would happen if spoke polish to them? I am besides myself. I would like to rant and rave so much more but what good would come of that?

Read reviews including the class action lawsuits against AHS.

don't trust them

Shaddy contractor was sent out, won't refund the full amount I paid for the warranty even though I...

lied about repairing ac

American Home Shield LIES. My AC compressor blew up on Sunday. The unit is 16 years old - my husband is disabled and undergoing radiation now - we live in Florida and it's hot and humid. They sent a man on Mon. - he had 48 hours to put in just a new motor - not a whole new compressor. We were dying of the heat - knew we needed a whole new complete unit - they refused. We had the serviceman come back and we had to pay the entire amount ($2600.00) - but he had us cool on Tuesday.

AHS is terrible - cancel them if you can.

• Tu
    turksmom Jun 24, 2009

I feel like a club member. AHS has been unable to find technicians to provide service in my area. Refused to pay for portions of repairs, charged me their $60 fee for scheduling what turned out to be a $20 repair, extended repairs over 2 months and multiple visits with the appliance never being repaired or replaced by AHS (I gave up and bought a new one And they do not reimburse! Never, Ever!), suspended my contract on the date the 3rd installment of my annual premium was due (wouldn't you know I'd have to call for service then?). This would mean I paid for 2/3 of a year, but was unable to use it 2 months into the renewal period until I paid with a credit card by phone. At which point they told me there was no one available in my area, could I wait? No. 4 kids and no water over the winter with a boiler heat system? Couldn't really wait so I paid AHS and paid for my own repair. Then I tried to cancel the contract and it was so much trouble, I gave up. Recently tried to schedule service again for 3 different plumbing issues. Thought I'd save myself the extra $120 by doing them all together. They scheduled 3 separate visits at 3 separate times! 2 with the same contractor! I cancelled and did it myself

terrible company!

This company should not exist. it is nothing but a fooling. For small things such as gas leak, which normally cost you 75 dollars a service call, they, you have to pay 50 dollars. for anything more then 100, they require second opinion, which normally concludes with' your problem was inporperly installed'. After you wasted a lot of time on first opinion, second opinion, you still have to pay for total cost yourself. Forget about you big appliance, your heating system or AC, they will not send you a cent cover your repair.

You will be a lot better off without this company. Talk to your neighbors or coworkers or anyone, do not get anywhere close to this company.

• Do
    donna Aug 14, 2008

This company is a total ripoff. I've been trying to get my oven fixed for over 3 months now. They claim the part is being rebuilt. I was first told they order the part and now they are "rebuilding" it??????????

not worth the paper is written on!

I have insured an AC unit with AHS for 15 years, only to have my claim for replacement denied. The AHS rep said that the unit is "dirty, rusty, and has mold growing on it." The unit is an outdoor unit that is 25 years old. It is dirty and it is rusty, but the mold is growing around the pad that the unit is sitting on, not on the unit itself. The coil is leaking not because the unit is dirty, but because the unit is 25 years old and just worn out.

Please post this complaint so that the public will know that the AHS warranty is not worth the paper is written on.

• Un
    Unsatisfied Michigan Sep 05, 2007

AHS (American Home Shield) has HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE customer service and contractors. They BOTH are UNROFESSIONAL! One problem with AHS is 1 problem too many, but to have 3 is absolutely rediculous. They should spend the money that is made from us...the consumers, on better warranty coverage, AHS employee professional development and better research on choosing contractors. BOTH AHS and their contractors LACK Skill, Professionalism, and Customer Service. Learn to DO YOUR JOB in an acceptable manor!

• Do
    Doug Peck Sep 05, 2007

I agree AHS does not do a good job, they really are a scam. The contractors are just as bad and unprofessional. I got rid of AHS a long time ago! I am in the real estate industry and make it clear to my clients that AHS is not a good warranty company. I refuse to allow them to effect my clients, therefore I stopped recommending them years ago. I received too much negative feedback from my clients and enough was enough.

• Ca
    Carol S Bradley Jul 14, 2008

I really felt that I was dealing with a professional company until something broke. In June 2008, I contacted AHS because of a water leak. They sent someone out, I paid my $55.00 service charge. A plumber and a leak detector was sent. My contract stated that they would fix and repair, returning property to a rough finish. The results of my rough finish is 1) having expose water lines, 2) a view of the ground from behind the refrigerator and laboratory cabinets 3)the plumber broke faucets and replaced them with faucets that leak (constantly running). Handy Pro is the company that was contracted by AHS to repair the problem. They said they would return after five (5) days. They wanted to make sure that the leak was fixed. We're still waiting! Now, we're waiting on AHS to speak with Handy Pro before something is done. My home has been turned upside down and I'm still waiting. After numerous conversations with AHS, I was offered $100.00 close out. I asked what does that mean? I was told they would give me $100.00 and the job would be closed as in complete. Unbelieveable!
    Carol S Bradley

• Me
    Mehmet Kilic May 05, 2009

I agree, AHS is worthless. I have AHS home warranty for almost 2 years. They are trying to find a way to not to pay for any repairs but collect $60 fee everytime. Let me give you a good example: Diswasher is not washing properly. We called for service. Answer was, "run hot water in the sink when you turn on your dishwasher" and i paid $60 for this comment. Also my AC wasn't working properly, answer was, "weed cutter damaged the condenser outside so we cannot fix it" where as weed eater did not damage my unit. I am expecting next time saying that, it rained so hard so we cannot replace your unit. I won't be surprised. DO NOT BUY AHS.

• Nc
    NC home owner Jun 27, 2009

Abominable Customer Service!!! I live in a 3 yr old home that had 2 very small leaks along the water pipes in the crawl space under the home. I called to have it evaluated and fixed, again should be a very simple issue. Contractor arrived, fixed one leak (NOT TWO) and left me with no hot water. After 3 days of trying to get them back out for the original job and to fix whatever they turned off while they were here... I'm still waiting. Meanwhile, my wife and 2 young children below age 3 have not bathed in 3 days and we still have a leak. After finally getting a recall appointment for Saturday morning at 8 am, the contractor decided to cancel the appointment on Friday night. AHS told the contractor they would call me (the home owner) with the cancelation. No communication from either the Plumber or AHS until I finally get a manager on the phone midday Saturday - day 4. I have never been this angry or treated quite this poorly. I have even offered to pay the entire thing out of pocket and still can't manage to get someone out here to evaluate the original issue and fix whatever they broke when they were here the first time. What a sham!!! A warranty where you call to get one issue fixed and end up with two.

avoid ahs at all costs!

American Home Shield of Carroll, Iowa is clearly taking advantage of its customers and avoiding paying claims by having its service agents file false reports.

My AHS coverage came with the purchase of my home. About six months after moving in, the dishwasher stopped working. AHS sent a technician, who spent about five minutes reviewing the unit. He concluded that the initial installation was faulty -- that is, that the unit have been installed with the polarity reversed and without a ground. The result, he claimed, was that the control board had burned out, even though he never removed the top panel to inspect the control board. Moreover, because the unit was improperly installed the warrant coverage would be denied. He advised that it would cost about $300 to replace the control board.

After he left I decided to look over the dishwasher myself. I did remove the bottom and top panels. I found that the unit was properly grounded and I tested the polarity, which was similarly fine. However, when I inspected the control board I found that the adjacent "thermal cutoff" fuse was not functioning. I ordered a new fuse from an online distributor for $7.00. I arrived the next business day and I replaced it in five minutes. The dishwasher resumed functioning perfectly.

The report submitted by AHS's service agent was clearly fraudulent. The intention was to have AHS deny service and then have the service agent take the job of repairing the unit for $300 (and no doubt pocketing the new control board). I called the service agent's company to complain and they seemed genuinely upset by their employee's conduct. However, AHS took the position that their agent's report was their final work and that they would not refund my $55.00 service fee.

I strongly believe that what AHS and their service agents are doing is wrong and illegal. I have sent a demand letter to the AHS legal department and a copy to the California Dept. of Insurance. Avoid these guys at all costs!

• Be
    Belinda Joyce May 24, 2007

My problems with AHS are beyond comprehension. I can't believe this unscrupulous company has managed to stay in business. Can someone please send me the AHS legal department address and exactly how to file a complaint with California Dept. of Insurance.

• Ji
    Jim Johnson Oct 16, 2007

I fully agree with this. I have had AHS (American Home Shield) at two different houses. The first time, I had a plumbing leak and they would not cut the drywall open to find it. I have not had an issue (yet) in my current house, but I expect the same trouble if I had to call them again.

Norman Nailer Nov 20, 2007

I just found out what the "improper installation" scam is all about.

This is wrong. Same story as everyone else.

I am so disappointed.

insurance fraud

Ahs insurance home warranty. Sub: escalation of issue. Reference: work order no.[protected]. Reason for...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices