Complaints & Reviews

incompetent contractors

This summer I called AHS to place a services call for A/C repair. The unit was leaking. This is the cover letter sent to Mr. Crawford, head of AHS. I had sent pictures and a 13 page detailed report of how 3 contractors could not diagnose the leaking drain pan and how after 4 weeks and 100 degree temps needed to find my own contractor. AHS would not reimburse me the $425 for the repair.

The lack of customer service afforded to me by their reimbursement department and a declined response letter was very disappointing. They pay mostly substandard contractors a fixed rate and when the repair is more than the fixed rate these subs do the very least or nothing at all. i suggest all readers to find another company.

Dear Mr. Crawford:

Following this letter is another correspondence I sent to your AHS Reimbursement request department a few weeks ago. I received a call from the Reimbursement call center on 6/9. I have to say the scripted response and lack of customer mediation to the request could only point to absolute focus on bottom line numbers and mirrors the many negative postings on various Internet sites.

As you read the below, I can not believe 4 weeks of time and 3 A/C vendors could not diagnose a problem and correct a condensation tray leak issue. In Phoenix, where it is 100 degrees, A/C repair is vital, especially in a rental unit. I had no choice; even after a second call escalation, to hire my own company for resolution. All indications point to the prior 3 A/C contractors being able to correct the issue. These contractors most likely evaluated the flat rate they would receive as less than the cost of the repair. That should not be my issue as I have been a customer for many years.

I am contacting you to escalate resolution of the documented complaint and as such am requesting your approval for reimbursement of the following:

1. Reimbursement of $425 and,
2. The waiving of two of the service fees for these three vendors. One contractor, [name withheld] found that the unit needed Freon and that was addressed, however the original leak problem still persisted.

• Te
    Tex the Texan Aug 31, 2009

Sounds like your issue was a MAINTENANCE issue. You never disclosed if your Evaporator Pan leaking water was just dirty or was broken(rusted or cracked). Most of the time the problem you described is caused by a dirty evap coil pan, which is due to LACK of Proper Maintenance from one of those "better" contractors.

By the way $425 is outrageous for cleaning a evap coil pan, if that was the problem.

• Un
    unsubscribeme Apr 13, 2010

Sounds like you demanded, per your tone, a 2nd opinion when the 1st and 2nd companies did not do as you wanted them to do. You would have only paid 1 service fee if AHS offered it to you because you disagreed with the 1st company.
    With that being said, I would dismiss the rest of your claim as well.

ahs is a bunch of cheats and liars

American home shield is a bunch of cheats and liars. Last year, my heat pump broke and AHS charged me $300 to fix it. They did a poor job and the unit broke less than a week later. They came out again and charged me another $575 and the unit broke again a few months after that. When I called the last time, I was able to get the to replace the rest of the unit at no cost to me and I finally have a completely new unit (which they were told to do the first time). Here are some suggestions on how to deal with them if you are forced to do so in the future:

1. Don't deal with them at all. If you can avoid their warranties, do so. If you have one, cancel it in the first 30 days and get a full refund. Also, be aware that they have several DBA names including Prestige Home Warranty and Service Home Guard (check the Better Business Bureau website for full information).

2. If you must call their system to request service, don't waste time entering information about your contract number or phone number or telling it what's wrong as it will NOT speed anything up. Tell the system to "get me a [censored]ing person". This will bypass much of their automated system and get you to a CS rep. WHile I don't like using abusive language with anyone, it seems to work well on their system.

3. When you do get a representative, they will ask for your name and contract number, etc... Before your give them any information, ask for THEIR last name as well and make a note of who you talked to and when you called. AHS employees are NOT required to provide their last names, but if you ask them, some of them will. If they respond, "We don't give out last names", accuse them of lying to you. Although they are not required to provide you with their last name, it is a lie to say that they do not give them out (it is more correct to state that they do not wish to provide their last name". If they still insist that they do not provide last names, then ask why some of their other employees have given out names. Furthermore, if they still refuse to provide a last name, tell them you refuse to identify to them if they will not give you their name and ask for their supervisor.

4. If you get a supervisor, again, ask for their last name. If they refuse, continue asking for supervisors until they say that there is no one else that they can transfer you to. Even if you can't get a last name, at this point, you have to go ahead and schedule a service request. If the request is a repeat request for something that they fixed before, request that they waive the trade service fee. If you have a supervisor on the line, they generally will waive the fee if you ask them to.

5. When scheduling the request, do not hesitate to be rude to them and use abusive language. Again, while I do not like to be rude to anyone or use bad language, it seems that this will get things done. When I was nice and polite to them, they dragged out a repair that should have taken 1-2 weeks to 6 weeks. When I started being rude to them, they acted much faster and had the unit repaired within a week.

6. If they tell you it may be a few days, call them back multiple times (preferable in the same day if possible) and complain that their conduct is unacceptable. Again, do not hesitate to be rude or to swear at them. They will ask you to "please refrain from using that language". Just apologize and say that you are sorry, but when you were nice, they dragged things out and when you started getting rude, things got done.

7. When the repair is completed, go to the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint asking for your trade service fee back (if it was not waived) and they will usually refund it as they "guarantee" your satisfaction and they will work with you until you are satisfied or they will refund the trade service fee. Do NOT use abusive language in your BBB complaint as the BBB reserves the right not to process complaints containing abusive language. If you had "non-covered" charges in your repair, ask for those to be refunded as well when you file your complaint with the BBB. Very often, AHS will refund them to you since it gets them off the hook with lawsuits. (If you accept a payment from them for this, you give up your right to sue them in the future and paying you for non-covered charges is often cheaper than dealing with lawsuits). AHS will ALWAYS respond to BBB complaints as they wish to keep their A+ rating. (They have a good rating with the BBB because they always respond to complaints, not because they are a good company). As long as you ask for a refund in your desired resolution with the BBB, the BBB will act as a mediator between you and AHS. Lastly, regardless of whether or not AHS refunds you money based on your BBB complaint, DO NOT RESOLVE THE COMPLAINT. The BBB will state that AHS has made "reasonable efforts" to address your complaint and will close it administratively, but it will not show up as resolved. If enough complaints start showing up as unresolved, people may realize that AHS is not a decent company and they may take their business elsewhere.

8. Lastly, if possible avoid doing business with other ServiceMaster (AHS's parent) companies as this may tell them that they need to improve. Other ServiceMaster companies include Amerispec (which will give your information to other companies if you use them), MerryMaids, Furniture Medic, Terminix, and Tru-Green.

Hopefully, this information that I have provided here will be of use to people. If you have questions about what I have written, please email me at [protected]@yahoo.com (I can't promise a response, but I will try to respond to everyone that emails me.)

• Te
    Tex the Texan Aug 31, 2009

I have a better idea than all of those suggestions::::::

READ YOUR F_____ING AHS CONTRACT, if you do not agree with the TERMS of the CONTRACT then do not get one.

fraudulant practices

This is my nightmare with america home shield Take them to court!!! You can do all the paperwork...

incompetence and consumer fraud

On April 30, 2009 the kitchen sink backed up. I called American Home Shield for service. They sent out Air...

does not back warranty of covered appliances

We purchased a home in which the sellers provided a Home Warranty through American Home Shield of Florida (AHS). We had a problem with our air conditioner and the warranty company (AHS) sent out an air conditioning specialist to investigate the problem. We also had other air conditioner specialists investigate the problem in the interim. The air conditoner specialist that AHS subcontracted was from the company "Air Doctor." The technician from Air Doctor reported that the unit was 40% clogged with mold but the freon was "okay." The fact that mold was present and abundant was a great concern to me due to the fact that my wife is disabled. AHS stated nothing was covered. As I stated, other air conditioner specialists were out to assess the air conditioner and every one of the four companies said the AC unit was not working and needed to be replaced. We called Air Doctor back for a second opinion and a different service technician came out and told me in person the unit was not working properly and because of it not cycling, mold has accumulated. He told me he was going to send this report/recommendation to American Home Shield saying the unit needs to be replaced. We were contacted by an AHS representative who said again, "nothing is covered under warranty." I told the representative that the technician from Air Doctor (their contracted air conditioner specialist) told me that he was going to put in for a new unit. The representative said that this was only a recommendation and it was determined that they were not going to cover this air conditioner due to the mold issue and that the mold was what caused the unit to stop working. This was clearly the opposite of what the gentleman from Air Doctor told me. I asked the representative from AHS "...who is liable if my wifes health is compromised?" and the representative said that is not their problem. I would like to take further action against this company. Thank you, Dr. Daniel Strauss

scam and cheating

I received information in the mail today about a lawsuit against AHS... they are requesting people who had...

bad service, devious practices

I called American Home Shield (home warranty) about a plumbing leak. I called and explained to the CS rep...

plumbing

Last week I called American Home Shield because of a plumbing stoppage. A plumber was sent out and hi...

leak

The service you receive is not necessary what you pay for.
I had a leak in a pipe which was easily visible to a child. They (AHS) had sent out Resuce Rooter who agreed there was a leak/hole in the pipe. I had a friend (who knows of these things) there to talk with them, show them, etc. Anyway, I was told by my friend the most it should cost me is $250 -$300. So I was expecting a reasonable quote. I had to leave the house for a minute and got a phone call from AHS who said Rescue Rooter said some equipment was installed backwards and had caused the pipe to rust. Now they did not mention this to me while I was there or my friend (engineer) was there. They were on their way to get the parts but when I get to my destination 20 minutes away I get the phone call from AHS that something was installed backward and the warranty does not include the leaks in that case and that the pipe (not over ten feet long) was rusted all the way through and for a cost of $962.00 they could fix all. Well, I was forturnate and blessed with a good friend who got the parts for approximately $30.00 and fixed it in less than two hours. We cleaned off the mud (which looked like rust) from the pipe and checked for rust. I was blessed with good friends who knew what was happening. Please beware of AHS/Rescue Rooter.

anonymous Jun 03, 2009

I worked for AHS for several years and I sympathize with you. There are many good people that work there that would have questioned Rescue Rooter more because that diagnosis sounds like a bunch of bull. Unfortunately Rescue Rooter is their sister company so they're stuck working with them and Servicemaster doesn't seem to care that Rescue Rooter/ARS is horrible and there are some not-so-smart people working at AHS. I don't know why I still feel responsible for some of the things that happen there but it's hard to completely lose that loyalty, I guess.

• Pr
    Prometheus Von douchbag Jul 18, 2010

[censor]. AHS and RR are Owned By ServiceMaster.
    They have been Ripping off the Poor People for years

fraud and scam

My mother had things go wrong with her air cond as well as her air handler upstairs. To sum it all up they don't fix anything, charge the service charge rig it then send someone out the next month to rig it again. They have enough small print in there contract to cover absolutely NOTHING. Our experience with them and the customer service was absolutely horrible. If you are thinking of using them find someone else's or believe me you will be better off paying out of pocket when something breaks. My mom paid them for 8 years 500$ a year for ABSOLUTELY nothing to be fixed when needed. They feen on elderly and people wanting the piece of mind thinking they have ins in case of a major break down. My friend works for a major electrical co and his company will not even deal with them being so crooked. They find co. that are desperate that just want that 60$ service charge to lie and move on to the next customer. IT IS SICK!!!

• Ki
    Kim Jan 28, 2009

I have filed report with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and my local department of Consumer Affairs on AHS. This company is committing consumer fraud.

My hot water heater and furnace are both 16 years old. Recently they both went on the blink. AHS sent a technician to look at the furnace. He 'fixed' the auxiliary limit and told me my furance was in its 'senior year.' A few days later it is 18 degrees outside and my heat still was not working. AHS sends the technician back and he then says my evaporator coil is dirty and that is a maintenance issue. AHS refused service. I had an independent, well respected, accredited BBB company come out and look at my furnace. They said I need a new furnace.

I called AHS and they said they would send someone for a second opinion. I had to call back twice to see what happened. The first time, they said they canceled the request, and the second time they said the company didn't get my fax. Stall tactics, because they did not expect me to get a second outside opinion. Christmas is tomorrow. This company that is so 'caring' doesn't give a hoot about denying me heat. AHS says if the technician finds that it is a maintenance issue again, I have to pay another service fee. Over my dead body. I am not giving them a dime, and if they try to take it from my bank account they will be in big trouble.

With regard to my hot water heater, I contacted AOSmith the company that makes the heater. They said the life span of my heater is 7-13 years. At 16 mine has done its job. Why would I be maintaining something beyond its service life?

AHS hires low grade service companies. Their MO is to say it is a maintenance issue, and even if your item has been maintained, they say your service company was incompetent or did the work wrong. Anything to get out of replacing the item.

• To
    TOM Apr 25, 2009

AHS does not CARE about customer Service!!
    I have been with them for over 11 years and I have learned - throught experience - a lot of how they operate.

As I just said -THEY DON'T CARE!!

Not only do they NOT want to replace anythiong - when they repair something - guess where the vendor gets the parts that they need for the repair??
    AHS supplies the vendor with the part!! I have had the dish washer repairman out three times. The first time they vendor did not know anything about repairing a dishwaqsher!! So, I had to get another vendor - at my expense. AHS's policy is to give the 'rotten' vendor another chance to screw it up again. That is a very, very poor policy and not 'customer friendly'.

The vendors that they choose -= for you - are not trustworth!! They hire them because they are cheap.
    AND, you have NO say-so with them. Because if they rule in your favor AHS will terminate the contract with them! ANOTHER GREAT SERVICE POLICY.

I had three different policies with AHS. I have already cancelled two of them. My last on expires this month - and they are out of here!

I don't know how they stay in business. But, I applaud all of you that take the time to file a complaint with the FTC or the BBB. That's what you have to do - take them to court. AND, good luck!

And, don't worry about them reading any of these comments - they won't!!

• De
    Denver Williams Aug 03, 2011

i signed up with ahs in may 2011 . I have had 9 service calls since then and finally convinced them to replace my air conditioning unit. They replaced it with a much cheaper unit and it has stopped cooling already in 5days. they have been out here almost every wk and nothing has been resolved.
    I have put in a request 5 times today and noone has called yet.Thhe hold time is 1 1/2-2hrs long to speak to a service rep.
    I would never recommend them to anyone.
    DWilliams

Marc Bochner Dec 15, 2017

It seems their business model is to collect premiums and then deny coverage. Ive had so many of their contractors come out, make false claims about the repair so that AHS denies the coverage. Then after denied the contractor puts in an obscenely high bid for the repair on their own. AHS has an appeals process, but it too seems to be a farce as they have you jump through hoops and then never respond to the appeal.

Lately as bad as customer service was, it got way worse, now plan on sitting on hold for between 60 and 90 minutes to get one of their terrible agents on the phone. As I sit here writing this I was on hold for 78 minutes on hold about them denying yet another repair and then placed back into the on hold cue by a supervisor after finding out they are charging me the service fee even though the work was never done.

Ive been with AHS for 10 years now... so why havent I left this horrible company yet? well because they are the only ones who cover multiple units and sometimes they actually do the repairs. Today was the last straw, Im back on hold waiting to cancel my account.

awful company

American Home Shield is a disgraceful company. My microwave/hood broke and I waited 3 weeks, having to make numerous calls to even get someone out to look at the thing. The technician said that it looked like there may have been a power surge, he wasn't sure but could be, maybe. He also said that since it was from 1991 it is a wonder it was still working at all, so could have also just broke due to age, not power surge. I paid him the $60 "service" fee. I then get a call the next day denying my claim because they did not cover power surges. I said I wanted to dispute the denial of the claim and the "customer service" woman on the line said that is fine, they could send someone back out, but if they found the same thing I would have to pay ANOTHER $60 service fee! I then asked to speak to a manager and the "Manager" gave no better service and said the same. I said you mean to tell me I have paid $40+ dollars every month for the last 4-5 years, a $60 service fee, I had to make numerous calls just to get someone out, the tech could not even say for sure that the reason it broke was due to a power surge but you are going to deny the claim? Yeah that is what she was saying, so now I am looking for a new home warranty company until I can get more money into savings and fire them all.

• Ri
    Rita Jan 21, 2009

I bought my first place three months ago. Pretty much all of the major appliances were new with the exception of the furnace (18 years old). I tried to get the seller to replace, but they refused, so we compromised with a 1 year homeowners warranty.

Luckily or unluckily last Tuesday I came home to a 40 degree home. The furnace had blown. Everything I read in AHS's warranty said they would service within normal business hours - I was worried I would not get my heat turned on that night, so I called the company that the seller had used to service the unit prior to me moving in. He came that evening and told me I needed a new furnace, which would cost $2400. He reset my furnace, and said that would give me heat temporarily, but it was only a matter of time before it stopped working again. (It shut-off within the hour).

I then called AHS, they said I should have called them first and they needed one of their vendors to come look at it. The next day was Christmas Eve - so I set up the appointment for Friday (3 days later). Their vendor showed up, did the same thing the initial company had done (reset the furnace), and said the internal temperature was 20 degrees to high and that's what was causing the problem. Well, surprise, surprise, the furnace stopped working again shortly after he left.

I was given a 30 day warranty on his work, so the same guy came back the next day. He looked at my furnace for 30 mins. before telling me that now he thought the problem was that all of the units in my building were sharing the same chimney - and it wasn't big enough and that was causing a backdraft.

First of all, why hasn't that been an issue for 18 years? Second of all, I live on the first floor, warm air rises, wouldn't that create the biggest problem for the top floor unit? He said he couldn't verify if that in fact was the cause, so he would need a service manager with more experience to come out and verify.

This was Saturday afternoon, his service manager couldn't come out until Monday afternoon. (Keep in mind I still don't have heat in December in Chicago). I made the service tech stay with me while I called AHS customer service and had them attempt to explain to me why it was acceptable to go 48 more hours without heat and even the potential for a proper diagnosis. They gave me the run around about the vendor needing to report it to authorization before anyone could move forward. Finally, I let the service guy go.

Immediately after he left I returned a call I had from the previous day (800.469.0892) where AHS had asked me to answer a satisfaction survey for my service call. I spoke with someone else who I notified that I was extremely dissatisfied with their service thus far. A. I already had a technician tell me I needed a new furnace. B. They were making me wait 48 more hours before they would diagnose, etc. etc. I asked if I could be transferred to a different vendor since I was clearly making no progress with the current one. Ultimately she asked to put me on hold while she spoke with her manager. Her manager agreed to allow my service request to be transferred to a new vendor, that would come see me that night!

He arrived, and after less than 5 mins. said 'well the good news is you're getting a new furnace'. But he told me not to get too excited b/c it still needed to be authorized from AHS. His boss came out the next morning, confirmed what the other guy had found, and said he would do his best to get AHS to authorize.

Luckily I got a call later that day that authorized replacing my furnace. the owner of the heating company said he was surprised it was authorized so quickly. I told him I had been very persistent with AHS on my side. And he said sometimes it helps to have people coming at them from both sides. As of right now it is supposed to be installed tomorrow morning. I will let you know how that goes.

Honestly, I trust AHS 0% - Given all I have read I think it was a case of me getting lucky, persistence, the squeaky wheel getting the grease, and the fact that I already had a second opinion saying I needed a new furnace.

I'm sure the furnace AHS will give me tomorrow is a piece of crap, but it will be better than no heat, and hopefully last me a few years. My advice to anyone out there that is already stuck with an AHS warranty is get all of your transactions in writing, call AHS frequently, I've probably called them 15 times since this started, and if your claim is ultimately denied contact a lawyer.

Sandra Lee Finney Feb 23, 2009

I totally agree with a scam from this company. I dealt with them also back in 2004. My husband and I had just purchased a house and the hot water tank blew up like a pressure cooker. He was over in the desert serving in the military at the time and AHS along with the plumber was refusing to cover the hot water tank under warranty. Needless to say it also took at least 5 days for them to fix the claim. I complained like a banshee and called the mortgage broker I purchased the house from. They ended up replacing the tank but was not happy about it.

lied about service requirements on a/c

repair man came and determined that the a/c wasn't covered since it had "dirty coils" and wanted $1300 to clean and repair unit. Of course he did not take the unit apart to see the coils...he must be superman as he could see right through the unit to make this determination. I called another company at my expense and it was only low on freon. Done with service call for less then the service call from American Home Shield

American Home Shield did not return the original thief's service call fee or take any action at all!

• Pb
    PBall Jun 07, 2015

Would not coverage AC replacement.
    I also have had a bad experience with AHS. My AC compressor unit stopped working. Called AHS and they sent out a repair man who took less than 5 min to look at my unit. He informed me the compressor was fired. When I called AHS to follow up with my claim they informed me my claim was declined do to "the coils were dirty" from lack of maintenance and therefore declined my claim. Told me I had to get a second opinion and pay for it out of pocket and pay to replace the unit and then ask for reimbursement. I contacted another air conditioner repair company who came and examined my unit and told me that the compressor failed due to normal wear and tear and for no other reason. AHS still refused to reimburse me. This is definitely a scam company. DO NOT USE THEM..

• Da
    Daisy Fields Nov 25, 2015

I have a dishwasher that was not working properly. The contractor said the dishwasher needed a new motor, but he refused to write it down on the report. He said he needed to talk to American Home Shield first. The repairman told American Home Shields that my dishwasher was working properly. He lied. Don't use this company because the repairman and American Home Shield are working together to denied claims at the homeowner expense.

inferior customer service

We just terminated our contact with AHS. This fall would have been 30 years of us having a contract with them. We were fed up with the poor quality, incompetent companies they send out for repairs. We’ve seen a steady decline in the customer service provided. Despite all our years of being loyal customers, they continually tried to deny claims or replace appliances that could not be repaired.

We had a problem with a blocked toilet and received a letter from AHS saying it was no longer covered by the contract because the plumber they sent out said a foreign object had been put down it. This was not true. They sent an incompetent plumber who tracked muddy footprints on our newly cleaned carpet, had no rag to hold his plunger or auger in, dripped dirty water all over the floor and carpet, and did not unclog the toilet.

Our water heater needed replacing, but they refused to do so. They said the water heater was installed incorrectly and this was what caused the problem. The company AHS sent out was the one who installed it. This was the final straw that caused us to cancel our contract. It wasn't until my husband wrote a letter to the State of California Dept. of Insurance that they suddenly were responsive to our water heater situation.

I would get so stressed with each repair that was needed. A few years ago I had to wait 6 weeks for a part for my 3 year old washing machine because AHS would not get the part from Sears and used some other distributor. This gives you a clue of the type of customer service they provide.

They have no customer service supervisor to contact to try to get problems resolved. You have to repeat your situation to the person who answers the 800 number, and they have service centers in several states. You cannot speak with the same person. You have to start all over again describing your problem.

The stress of having poor customer service does not make AHS worth having. I now can call a local plumber who comes out and takes care of the problem quickly and competently. I told AHS that I will tell anyone I know not to use their service.

• Gl
    Gloria Brinkman Oct 13, 2008

I also had a difficult time getting a hot water tank replaced. Even though my contract states it was covered. AHS sent out a plumber who quoted me 1085.00 to replace heater tank. AHS would only cover (according to the service man) 300.00 of this.
    We thought the price was outrageous and contacted A.HS. wanting a second opinion . they refused to send out anyone else, we than contacted no less than 3 different sources for a replacement. Their cost no higher than 675.00. AHS than stated it was all the saftey extras we needed before they could install. We had just had the house earthquake checked and had passed. I questioned the coverage, they informed me they would not pay 300.00 but only 200.00 out of that amount they would deduct the 55.00 for the service call my cash out 184.00 . I couldn't replace a bracket for the Tank at that price. A new tank alone( cheapest quote 575.00) that was just the tank! when I questioned them on why my contract said I was covered the only explanation they kept giving me was. That was the price their service contractors gave them. I asked what source they had to purchase a 675.00 water tank for 184.00 installed. They turned nasty and said the cash out was my only option or pay the outrageous price there service man had presented. I just don't know how they get away with this fraud? Isn't there any agency who can protect the comsumer to fraud like this? We are senior citizens and have taken out this insurance to protect us in case of a big expensive repair on out home. Looks like we were takne again!!! I now have a dishwasher that is not operating, but even though it states in my contract it is covered, I hesitate to call AHS and pay a service man 55.00 only to be told the problem is not covered! Unfortunately, we would only find that out by having them send out a repairman!
    By the way, we ended up replacing the Hot Water Tank at our own expense. With the help of a very generous member (plumber) from our church who installed it for us free of charge. Cost of the Tank 671.00 Cash out from AHS. 184.00 which we have yet to receive!!!

not really insurance but a fraud

When we had a plumbing leak we called our insurance company(American Home Shield) they sent out their...

no service at all

Air conditioner repair - they sent a incompetent technician that did nothing. I complained, the redispatched from the same company. Nobody showed up. After contacting ahs again, I requested a totally different repair company. Ahs said I would have to pay the service fee again! I asked to talk to the manager, and after being put on hold (With a recording continually reassuring me that I was a very valuable customer), I was finally told that all the managers were busy and one would call me back! Still waiting in the heat!!

janine bookwalter Nov 29, 2008

I called American Home Shield for service. They told me I would receive a call within 4 hours. After three hours I called the name of the technician to see when he might come out. He did not even kn0w about it. John from NB acted astounded. He said the furnace had no major problem but needed a cleaning. Someone from American Home Shield called and gave me the same information. I had the furnace cleaned last year in December so it is not quite a full year. I was planning on calling in the month of December to get the cleaning done. I did not use the contract for anything this year. So after approximately $500.00 for the contract and the $60.00 I had to pay for the call, I still need to find someone to fix the furnace. Take my name off your list and do NOT call me for a renewal. They had no problem calling me when they wanted me to sign the contract. I have been scammed and I do not want to hear from them again. Find some other sucker. I am done!!!

poor service

I had Grayson Collin Appliance company come out to fix my GE dryer. They were sent out by American home...

beware customer

For those of you considering this service do not, you will be sorry!

I signed up with american home shield (Herein also referred to as ahs) on 08/09/07 and my first payment was charged to my credit card on 08/15/07 as agreed, and every month thereafter on time every time, without fail.

On the evening of 04/09/08 our water heater began to leak from the top of the tank. By the morning of 04/10/08 it began also leaking from the bottom. This of course meant that we had to turn off all hot water to our home. I contacted ahs on 04/10/08 at 11:08am and they assigned a vendor (Ars rescue rooter) and I was contacted by ars rescue rooter within an hour and told they would have a technician come out between 1:00pm and 6:00pm the same day. The technician arrived at 2:15pm and I took him to our crawlspace to surmise the problem. Before even making it to the water heater he shook his head and blurted out code violations (Apparently the ars rescue rooter illicit m. O.). To my surprise because I had just purchased the home 2 years prior and we had the crawlspace area thoroughly inspected. He made a call to ahs for approval and I waited to hear about coverage information. I was contacted by ahs within about 30 minutes, approximately 2:55pm. The ahs rep. Told me that they would cover the water heater because the problem was due to normal wear but he said that he was informed by the vendor that there were code issues in relation to the water heater that would cost an additional $900.00 out of pocket. I spoke with the technician and he stated that he could not perform any work without doing all the work due to county laws and ars rescue rooter policy. I then asked the technician to provide me with a written copy of the estimate, to my shock he refused and stormed off (Right across our new sod, as a mention to his mindset in regard to respect for clientele).

The proper protocol ars rescue rooter (Herein also referred to as ars) should have followed as a professions is as follows; to resolved the water heater quandary; then the representative should have given me a detailed invoice (I was never given any detailed information in writing as requested) stating services performed by him/ars rescue rooter and listed any concerns he felt should be addressed. He then could have pulled a permit or I could have as the home owner and any alleged code violations found upon inspection are strictly the responsibility of the property owner, period. Certainly not a vendor hired to resolve an urgent situation issue by a home warranty company.in truth there were no code violations as confirmed by an authentic professional and an inspector. The only additional work possibly considered necessary, not under warranty by ahs, was the compression tank and that is only required if we upgrade the tank we currently had, not simply replace with a comparable item. By the way, the expansion tank is a $20.00 item retail if we had of requested a new one to be installed, and at no time did we request to have ars to remove our old unit.

A very long story shorter; I contacted ahs to inform them of the misconduct, attempted extortion and exploitation of a client in a vulnerable situation. I was informed by ahs that I could opt for the cash out option but I would have to wait. To add insult to injury ahs finally offered me a cash out offer of $165.00 to cover the cost of the water heater and the labor to repair it. I have since verified with the county and a legitimate plumber that the alleged code violation pointed out by the technician were in fact erroneous and I have had to have the problem repaired on my own at a total cost of $379.44 just for the water heater with labor, and this was at a substantially discounted price from a well known service provider. The lack of cooperation in resolving our issue from ahs is in direct violation of our agreement, resulting in our home having no hot water for four days due directly to the fact that we counted on ahs and as a direct result of providing a contractor (Ars rescue rooter) that practices illicit and unscrupulous business practices, preying on the vulnerable.

Please keep in mind that I am a ga state licensed master electrician and a ga state licensed residential real estate specialist. I deal with these types of situations daily with my clients as well as various trades and inspectors, including all local authorities. I have recommended american home shield many times in the past to clients because ahs paints such a convincing picture. American home shield - it seems like a good idea — prepaid home maintenance, basically a service contract or extended warranty on your house. The ahs booklet states, commitment to your total satisfaction, that is why we back every job we do with the unique money back guarantee shown on the back of your home warranty... Ahs guarantees that all approved covered service repairs will be completed to your satisfaction. If for any reason you are not satisfied with that service received, we will work with you until you are satisfied or we will refund the trade service fee. Unfortunately, I have found from many other consumers in researching ahs on the internet that too often ahs home warranty doesn't work out that way... And when it comes time to deliver; ahs does not even make an attempt at providing adequate, competent service to their clientele at a time of need. I am now doing as much damage control as I feasible can in regard to rescinding previous recommendations for american home shield I have made to my clients.

Bottom line, I have been in no way compensated for the four days we were forced to live with cold water only in our home due directly to negligence on the part of american home shield. Had I realized that we would be unable to count on american home shield I would have had a new water heater installed the same day as the problem occurred. I know several honest plumbing contractors due to my daily field activities.in addition, american home shield has fallen well short of proper compensation for our water heater quandary, even at a fundamental cost level, by any standard.

After I filed a complaint with the better business bureau ahs did send another check for an additional $150.00.

To sum up, service was never provided nor was adequate compensation; which is in direction violation of our agreement. This act by ahs and failure to react responsibly when required nullifies any and all agreements that may have been in effect prior to the morning of 04/10/08 leaving a full amount still due of $312.00.

• Tj
    T. J. Wright Dec 27, 2009

Consumers should band together as there seem to be a consistent pattern with AHS non-performance. My e-mail is [email protected] I am willing to coordinate and collect
    data with the intent of filing a class action law suit against this firm for breach of contract, fraudulent business practices, etc. Respond with valid claims, names, dates, specifics, etc.
    Leave the emotion out of it, just the fact please, and lets see what can be accomplished.

• St
    Stevie Nowonder Dec 29, 2009

I keep hearing the same thing so I got rid of the service. $40 bucks a month and to be told Ah we can't help ya. No thanks! Also beware of MISTER SPARKY they are also so rip offs!

don't use them

This is the complaint I just sent to the bbb:

on 06/26/08 ahs sent out pipe down services to my home to repair my water heater and leaking faucet in my master bath tub. The service tech "Rick" looked at the water heater and the faucet and came back with a list of "extra" charges that ahs doesn't cover. He said as soon as I wrote him a check for $675.00 he could get started on the job. In 2000 I had the water heater replaced. I paid the tech the $35.00 house call fee and the water heater was replaced. Rick said I had to bring the water heater up to building code. I understood this and told him I would get back to him. After spending the afternoon doing some research I found that pipe down services was a little pricey on their extra charges. Even if I needed some of these extras, I found these parts and permits for $98.22. This was if I purchased the most expensive parts that Lowes and home depot had to offer. What I found most interesting was that by just looking at the master bath faucet, he determined that the valves had to be replaced. I guess Rick has x-ray vision.

While Rick was in my home, ahs called me to go over the extra charges. I told them I thought that the extra charges were over inflated. I was then referred to the buy out department and they said someone would get back to me in 24 hours. Several days later someone from the buy out department called me and offered me less than $250 to replace the cost of the heater. After checking at Lowes and home depot I knew the cost would be between $239 and $350 and this would not include parts and labour. I was told this was my only option. I then called your customer service department and asked for a different service company to come out to my house. I was refused. They said my only options were to pay $675 to pipe down services to do the work or take the money that the buy out department offered me. I then spoke to the customer service manager who would only tell me his name was “Ed T” and he said the same thing.

I do not want pipe down services in my home again. This man displayed his plumber’s crack proudly each time he bent over. While I was on the phone with ahs he stood by me reading sensitive papers on my desk. I will purchase the parts out of my own pocket to bring the water heater up to building code although I don’t believe half of them are necessary. After speaking with several plumbing companies, I was told that unless the leak was coming from the top of the tank, they would not have to be replaced. I also found out that unless the tech had looked behind the bathroom tile, there is no way he could have known that the valves had to be replaced. Please contact me immediately so that we may resolve this ongoing issue.

stay away

AHS was going to have to replace a blown A/C compressor at my house. The tech inspected it, agreed it had just failed under normal operation, and left.

An hour later, we get a call from a rude AHS rep telling us that the repair was denied due to a couple of dented fins on the compressor. This is a large unit with close to 40 square feet of heat exchanger. When the rep contradicted himself about the diagnoses a minute into the call, he cursed and hung up on us.

This company seems to make money on the idea that when something big breaks, you need it repaired. They'll string you along with "we'll get back to you tomorrow", until you get tired of having no heat in the winter, and your pipes burst, or no AC in the summer or your stove catches fire.

So you'll end up paying full retail for the repair and having to go through the aggravation of waiting - and you'll still have spent worthless money for their "coverage".

Anthony L Oct 03, 2008

AHS is the worst cmpany I have ever dealt with! My pool heater broke and the tech advised the company it needed to be replaced. I bought the extra coverage to make sure the pool equipment was covered. Its 6 weeks later and they say they ordered a comparable heater. Come to find out that they ordered a small spa heater not a 14000' gallon pool heater. I looked it up on the net and it will only heat a small spa, NOT to be used for pools. The customer service is AWEFUL. They have attitude and do not have any concept of customer service. I highly advise all to stay away from AHS home warranty!!!

• Ni
    Nicole Apr 23, 2009

Simply put: AHS is the worst company ever! Poor customer service, no one will ever call you back. If you request to talk to a supervisor...good luck! They will take your money and never fix the problems. The warranty came free with my house when i bought it and i am sooo happy i did not waste my money on this company. It is a waste of time and money! DO NOT service a contract with AHS EVER! Their technicians are horrible as well that they send out.

• Fr
    fred May 06, 2009

I couldn't agree more. The company goes out of their way to sell, sell, sell but not stand behind their product. Every excuse possible for not performing service. I had an A/C unit denied for having a dent in the side caused by son hitting it with a baseball when he was 8 years old. My unit is 19 years old and my son is now 22 years old. I guess it took 14 years for that dent to finally takes its toll on the system.

AHS is a rip off

• Fr
    Frisch Sep 20, 2009

I have had similar issues with this company. In August 2017 they were called to repair a water leak. A hole was cut in my celing to locate the water leak from upstairs and the ceiling was supposed to be repaired by another company. As of 9/20/09 I am still fighting with them to get the hole repaired. Customer service rep was very arguementive and unprofessional. When I tried to talk she interrupted and kept stating that they were waiting on the plumbing company to call in the size of the hole so that they could contact a drywall service to repair the hole. There is no Quality check-ups or follow throughs to ensure customer satisfaction.

ChrisPokorny Jan 13, 2011

Stay away from this company. They are a bunch of con artists in suits. They take your money and send people that have no business doing repairs. They won't return calls, repair inadequate repairs, refund your money. Save your money, look elsewhere for a company that truly stands behind their work and treats you like a customer, not a dollar bill! Had this company for six years, went downhill horribly!!! I would not get this company to repair my doghouse!

beware

In December of 2007 I purchased a home in Henderson, Nevada, and paid an additional $600.00 for the home warranty by American Home Shield.

I purchased the so called "INSURANCE" because I was buying an older home. Upon going through the house, I noticed water damage: the roof had leaked during a recent rain, something I did not know was going to happen. I called the realtor I went through to buy the house, and asked about how to file a claim as I had not received anything from American Home Shield. She was shocked to learn they had not sent anything in line of policy information. So she contacted them to have them contact me. No one contacted me. Under my policy, the roof, the electrical, heating, air conditioner, water heater, all major appliances are covered as well as all plumbing issues are covered, or so I thought.

I never heard anything nor did I receive anything, as a result I shelled out $7500.00 to have the roof replaced, a roof that is covered under my policy. So I think all is well and I go to move a few things in and stay there over night. The outlet in the bathroom was hot.. Turns out the electrical/wiring needed to be redone. So once again I called to get the information on the policy, again nothing, so there goes $2500.00 out of my pocket to fix the electrical issues. All this was in January of 2008.

Then the locks jammed. A third call goes to try to get policy and contract information. Once again nothing, so that was yet more money, $700.00 to fix all the locks on house. THEN a plumbing issue came up, I FINALLY got a hold of someone from the American Home Shield. What happened was when I was doing a small load of laundry my mother went to use the bathroom and water backed up into the toilets, bath tubs, and in the laundry room, so I am telling the gal this, and I tell her, I am still in California, being unable to move into the home due to all of these issues and would not be in town until a few days later, and this is the beginning of May! I also inform her that at this time I had STILL not received any sort of policy related information. She sent the plumber out that day, and I received a nasty message on my voice mail from him asking why the ***
did I call for service if I had no plan to be present. I called back and tried to explain that the phone operator from American Home Shield knew that I was not there and I apologized for him being sent out like that. He snapped at me that he would have the receptionist call me back on Monday to schedule an appointment. The lady did call Monday, and was very rude, so I just scheduled for the Thursday coming up. I get to Henderson on Wednesday evening, and wake up early Thursday morning, even though the "TECHNICIAN" was not going to be there until noon. Noon rolls around, no show... so I call around 12:30 and they call the technician and he claims he called my cell phone to say he was running late but in truth, he never called because I used my cell phone to call them. SO I got mad and said why he didn’t leave a message, this is unprofessional on his part. So them I am told he is on his way and he will show in 5-10 minutes. 45 minutes go by, again nothing, so by this time I am furious and I call the plumbing company to cancel the appointment because my time may not be precious to them, but it is to me. So I am outside having a smoke when I call, and they claim the guy was at the end of the street when I called. SO I just blew up. I said really, my house IS at the end of the street and considering I was outdoors when I called and did not see him. I was basically called a liar by the company and they hung up on me.

So I called American Home Shield and basically told them that so far this policy has not paid for itself and that I refuse to deal with a company that treats their clients with so much disrespect. To this day, the middle of June, the plumbing issue has not been fixed, yet I am being charged a $50.00 service fee when their guy did not even show up! And I have been told that unless I PAY the fee, additional fees will be added. Here it is June, and I am just now moving into a home I purchased in December of 2007, and because of American Home Shields failure to provide policy information, I am out over $10, 000.00 on repairs that are covered under the policy I purchased. Look into your options, there are other companies out there that provide the same coverage's for sometimes less money and they are considerably more reliable.

• Br
    brenda jones Mar 18, 2009

i have tried for two summers to get my a/c replaced and no luck the fix it just enough and the tech tells us not to call unless it stops running all together, but we live in arizona nad it gets very, very hot.but to ahs as long as it it blowing even if it is barely cool air to them it is working.the tech basically told us that ahs will not put a new unit on our house and i have paid them enough money over the years i could have bought a new unit. i am going to cancel my ahs today. i think i have been ripped off long enough. brenda jones arizona

• To
    Tonik Feb 05, 2010

Hi! So sorry you all have had problems with your warranty. I am a realtor and provide warranties to my clients for free so I pay out of my pocket for the coverage. As a realtor, it is our responsibility to follow up with the warranty company when there is a problem. Realtors have more strength as we sell many warranties and can switch companies at the snap of our fingers. Hopefully, none of these issues will happen to any homes I have sold. Many people I have spoken to have told me that AHS was easy to deal with except one exception. There was a realtor who bought AHS for her client, the client had a A/C problem and they would not put freeon (SP?) in as they told them that it is not in their policy. The realtor involved called other warranty companies to see if that was part of their program and when she presented to AHS that all warranties covers freeon service, AHS came out and fixed the problem. Sorry to ramble but many times, your realtor should be involved to a certain point to help as we do have more strength as a group.

• Cf
    cfojimd Aug 13, 2018

I am rather upset with AHS. Been a customer for 12 years. Water Heater (Gas) is not functioning properly. Have called AHS about six times, they say call back tomorrow. That is a p*** Off factor. Every time I call I get another rep from Phillapines or somewhere else in the world. They speak extreme bad english. Wonder what would happen if spoke polish to them? I am besides myself. I would like to rant and rave so much more but what good would come of that?

Read reviews including the class action lawsuits against AHS.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices