American Home Mortgage ServicingFraudulent activity

R

In 2017, American Home mortgage Servicing, Inc. contacted us to say they would be handling our mortgage payments for Option One.

1) In 2017, AHMSI Retention Dept contacted us by mail informing us that we needed to modify our loan so that it did not adjust up in 2017.

2) We filled out all of the paperwork and faxed it to them. A negotiator contacted us by telephone and told us he could lower our interest rate, lower our monthly principle by $30 a month, take ten years off our loan, making it a fixed 30-year loan. But, he could not reduce our mortgage amount per month. We really needed him to reduce the amount per month instead of taking ten years off the end of the loan, but he said he couldn't do anything else for us and we could sell if we wanted to. We knew we couldn't sell in the present market and would have to foreclose. We felt we had no other choice and were forced to accept.

3) The negotiator sent us the paperwork to look over and we noticed that the principle had gone up $6000. Still, my husband thought we had no other choice. So, AHMSI legally did what the stimulus act allowed them to do for us by reducing our interest and principle per month, but they made $6000 right in the beginning. That's not counting the $500 that we had to wire the negotiator to receive the paperwork.

4) After we signed and sent back the paperwork, our next month mortgage statement stated that we owed an extra $236 late charges. I called the negotiator to ask 'why' when he told us we had no late charges. He said he was not allowed to tell us about the extra fees for the remodification until all was finalized. He said we could make payments. We paid it in full, afraid that if we didn't, we would have more surprise fees.

5) We were hoping that maybe our mortgage would be back to the regular rate the next month, but NO. The next statement was that of January 2017 stating that our Escrow had gone up and we had to make up for $40 on top of the new larger amount due to higher escrow fees. So, now we know that they didn't do us any favors. They made more than $6000 off of us through the stimulus act when we are in danger of losing our home, and we are now having to pay more per month than ever before. I want to know how they say they took ten years off of our home loan when the appraised home value was decreased by almost half in two years because of the market. I just want to warn everyone out there.

• Me
    Mel Mar 11, 2009

Notified by mail of AHMSI taking over mortgage and in the letter there was no mention of there being a service charge for paying 'ontime online'! I would have sent a check ahead of time if I was made aware of this!! After reading these '[redacted]s' no way was I sending a check in the mail!! I have never been late and have never been charged by any of my online billing companies a so called 'ripoff service charge'!! Sometimes when you pay on the phone there may be a charge, but they tell you 'pay online and there is no charge'. No, not AHMSI! They want to 'rip you off' for just a little bit more that you might need for gas to get to work and then they can foreclose because you didn't have enough money for your transportation and wouldn't that make them happy!! Furthermore, it is so frustrating because you cannot email them at all under the 'contact us'! They only provide you with a phone number and a mailing address!! What reputable company in 2017 does not have an email to contact them??? Expect to spend at least 10-15 minutes if you call them and then you will get NOWHERE anyway! Just 'suck it up' and pay the leeches their 'online worthless service charge'. At least citi bank rewarded you for paying on time (up to 4 days) with no online charge!! I don't believe this was in my original contract!! I do not like to 'hate', but I do HATE AHMSI!

• Ba
    Barney Mar 12, 2009

AHMSI is a practitioner of very deceptive and manipulative practices. I was a customer of Option One Mortgage prior to AMHSI buying them. I entered into a 12 month loan repayment contract.

AMHSI raised my ARM 4 months into this deal without notice! After completing these 12 monthly payments and then making an additional on time payments was notified that due to that previous ARM change I was now 2 months behind on my mortgage? I was then put into foreclosure for this!

I attempted to enter into a loan modification with AHMSI and was repeatedly told that they either were missing needed documents or they were backlogged with assigning a negotiator to my account. This of course took 6 months to resolve. All along they were refusing to accept any monthly payment? My account was now accruing late fees, lawyer fees due to the foreclosure proceedings! This all started in August 2017.

In order for me to enter into this agreement they needed a down payment of $14, 000(including foreclosure lawyer fees) was half of my delinquency. I was turned down for this program anyway. The reason given was that my lender would not include these past due fees. I was notified of this decision on January 8, 2017. Here is the ironic twist.

On February 12, 2017 I received a Fed Ex package from AHMSI. It was a loan modification proposal!!! Didn't they just tell me NO? Were they not asking for $14, 000 upfront to avoid foreclosure? All of a sudden they have an offer that requires ZERO money down, a new loan at 5% and a monthly payment of under $1000? I was paying $1700 previously! They tried to push and manipulate me into getting any money out of me that was possible.

I was told by their customer service team that I should either sell my house or get a second job to resolve my situation! AHMSI also wrote off half of alleged past due balance on my account. This incident shows how this type of company tries to deceive and manipulate people into deals that are not in their best interest.

Thank goodness I had documentation of every payment I made. The lesson here is, do not give into these companies! I bought my home 7 years ago. I now have mortgage payment that is less than my original one!

• Pa
    pam Mar 12, 2009

They did the same to us. They put over $13, 000 on ours and our payments are more per month and they claim they took 5 yrs. off of ours. We made one payment in Jan. 09 on the modification at the amount they said it would cost us per month, by Feb. 09 payment went up over $300 per month due to a shortage in escrow, when later I found that they made a bunch of huge mistakes. Then they did not put my escrow payment into escrow in Jan. which also shorted escrow account. I feel for ya, I just wish I knew who to go to and make these people stop what they are doing. Things are bad enough out there and companies like this only make things worse.

Sam Mar 16, 2009

In February, 2017, we was notified by Citi Residential Lending, that our mortgage loan was being transferred to American Home Mortgage Servicing Inc. (AHMSI).

We have experienced difficulties in making payments to this company, we have tried reaching them by phone, or sending Money Gram, Western Union, and attempts to pay on our loan at their internet site was fruitless.

• Br
    Brian Mar 25, 2009

I think I experienced the same thing you experienced with respect to a loan modification that we did with AHMSI in December 2017. They added $14, 000+ to the principal of our loan, which included $7, 184.02 for payment of deliquent taxes and insurance. We made our first first payment in February 2017 in accordance with the amount stated on Schedule "A" of the loan modification. We then received an escrow analysis statement in March 2017 stating that our escrow had a shortage of over $5, 000+ and that $400+ would be added to our mortage payment to reduce the escrow shortage.

Steve Mar 27, 2009

Aug. 06 we had high hopes. $ 350, 000 at $64, 000 down and another $7, 000 to close escrow. I trusted my lender; I'm no financial genius. I asked for fixed at $1700 a month. He said could'nt be done. But he did say an option ARM would work by defering the interest. A three year option ARM, stated income, $4800 high yield premium. Yes I now learned this was totally bad loaning practices by my lender. I did'nt even know what defering meant just to show you an example of my knowledge.

Anyway, I'm sure you all know how this will work. After the first year, I tried listing the home but A.H.S.I. said I have a pre pay penalty for 2 years. I tried to remove it but they said no.
    I waited another year and tried to refinance. But they said no. No equity left. You need to bring money to the table.

Nov. 08 I called asking for a loan modify. I honestly thought maybe I could negotiate a new loan to where I could at least rent out the home until things got better since I work construction. They said fax over your docs...I did... I waited... Dec. 1st I called. and they said I never sent anything.

Mid Dec. I got coached into a loan modification company.
    They told me to stop making payments but I disagreed.
    January went by while I talked back and forth with Licensed modify company and by Febuary. I thought by now something should be in the works.
    Feb. 24 YES! I got a call from A.H.S.I. Some woman obviously from Inda demanding payment. I said I'm in the middle of a loan modify. I would like to check the status on my loan. She said, "As soon as you make a payment I'll connect you." I did. She hung up on me. I callled and called getting nothing but auto responses. It's amazing how when they want payment your home phone rings followed by your cell phone two seconds later.

Now March 11 I got a letter from A.H.S.I. telling me to wait 30 days for loan answer. My loan modify company wont return calls.

According to everyones articles nothing positive will ever come out of this, as to A.H.S.I. will manipulate modifying loans to their favor making matters worse. I can easily forsee that they're buying time just to collect as many payments as they can and then calculate late fees and interest to add to the new principal.

Can anyone months ahead of me give the future out come. I know it 's all negative. But I'd like to know what I'm in for.

• Sp
    Sparks Apr 06, 2009

My loan was bought by AHMSI in January, we were in the process of a loan modification with the previous company. By the time I got the payment coupon to make a payment it was due the next day. I called to make the payment - this was on a Friday. The following Tuesday the amount showed up in my account as taking out $12, 000 - not the $1, 200 it was supposed to be. You can imagine my surprise when I saw an negative -10, 000 dollars in my account. I called (routed to India) and they assured me they would fix the problem and refund any charges I had as a result. They also assured me the correct amount would be taken out. The initial $12, 000 was refunded - after 1 week I still hadn't received reimbursement for some charges from my bank. I called again only to find out that they said I hadn't made a payment and was going to be charged late fees, and an overdraft fee for THEIR mistake. I then arranged to make a "correct" payment - which then took 5 days to post. I still haven't received any reimbursements for fees and just got a nasty letter from them saying that I owe them late fees. No one is in the states that I can talk to. I have tried calling my "loan modification" person only to get busy signals. Unbelieveable that this company can be in business.

Mike37 Apr 22, 2009

Yes, thats EXACTALLY what we are going through!!! I get calls from India saying they want to do check by phone but I'll be damned if Im going to give someone over seas my financial information.

• Re

• Rk
    rkorver May 05, 2009

Class action suit [protected]@yaho0.com

Steve May 13, 2009

If your a victum of fraud.

Your best defense so far is to perform a mortgage audit.

I'm using "Mortgage Audit Services"

or go to www.mortgagewars.com

Recommended first before hiring lawyer.

Missy May 27, 2009

yeah, AHMSI IS a horrible company. I just found out they are auctioning my house on June 15th...nice huh? I had two major surgeries, broke my leg and lost my job within three months. Meanwhile, I am throwing money at them to catch up and they are trying to foreclose on my hhouse. I hope each and everyone of their employees and executives, get what they deserve!

• Sm
    SMARTAZZ Feb 03, 2010

AHMSI is got to be the worst company known to man, I have been trying and I mean trying to deal with the since they brought out Option One (who were bueaties themselves). If you get connected with a "customer service rep he/she is in a forgein country, dont speak english correctly and have REAL BAD ATTITUDES, and dont ask for a supervisor in the USA they put you on hold for what seems like a year. If they call you they want an answer right then no time taken to work with their "CUSTOMERS". If I could I would leave them but they have you by the b--ls. We as customers should write to the SEC/IRS/FHA/FDIC, SENATORS, CONGRESSMEN AND EVEN THE PRESIDENT ABOUT THIS COMPANY. IF WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD ABOUT OPTION ONE IS TRUE THEN AHMSI SHOULD BE NEXT TO LOOSE ITS LICENSE. IF YOU ASK ME IT IS THE SAME COMPANY WITH A DIFFERENT NAME, JUST PAY ATTENTION TO THE WEB SITE. AND WHERE THE HELL DO THEY GET OFF CHARGING YOU TO PAY YOUR MORTGAGE ON TIME ON THEIR SITE. PENNY PINCHING, NICKEL AND DIMING US INTO THE POORHOUSE. I COULD GO ON FOR HOURS...

• Wa
    wagn Feb 05, 2010

AHMSI Takes FOREVER to cash my mortgage payment. I mailed out January's payment on December 20th. It had not been cashed when I looked at my account on January 5th. I called and the said I could do western union for 16.95. I seriously think they have incompitent employees and don't care about anything just because they went bankrupt. Anyway- I cancel my check with a stop payment. And of course on the 10th they sent it through and wanted to charge a $50 fee for that after I warned them not to cash the other check since I'm doing western union- couldn't bother to warn the billing department like I asked. It would just be TOO HARD to communicate within their company. I faught it though and didn't end up having to pay the $50 fee.

Now- this month- I mailed February's payment out on January 22nd. Still has not gone through.

They also had a big screw up when I change insurance companies and did not take a mortgage off my record that I paid off that they purchase from City a long time ago.

WOW- this company totally blows. Even the most responsible person like me has to be bothered. Do your freaking job and don't get drunk before you do it!!!

• Ca
    Carey Kinghorn Mar 02, 2010

Same has happened to me except they went ahead and sold my house at auction before they told me that 9 months ago they stopped accepting payments from me and had transferred my funds 12.361.00 dollars somewhere that they dont even know where they are??????????Who pays here ME!!!

Steve Apr 04, 2010

You have to find "The Department of Corportations" to file a complaint.

Steve Apr 04, 2010

You have to find "The Department of Corportations" to file a complaint. Even if the license had been pulled they are still protected under "The lender mortgage protection Act" You must file a complaint.

Steve Apr 04, 2010

BobtheBuilder- is such a lonley character. Everyone say, " Don't woory Bob we love you."

• Te
    tee12254 Apr 26, 2010

AHMSI just sent me a letter saying I am 2, 400 short in escrow payments. Now my mortgage is $200 more a month because they require a very large escrow balance.
    My taxes only went up $853.00 for the year, but they claim I need to have an escrow balance of $1891.00 Last year I was told I need flood insurance and they gave me 45 days to obatin it. I was a few days late getting the flood insurance, sent them over confirmation and they charged me for insurance retroactive form sept 2017. I never recieved a letter from them saying I needed the insurance till December 2017. Option One was no better when they had my Mortgage but AHMSI is much worst. Im going to try and refinace just to get rid of them.

Missy Oct 26, 2010

1-800-HOPE-NOW. with all the new laws in effect, they have to go through hoops of fire to get someone out of their house. Ask for a MOD, make sure you ask to be place in the Hope Now program. Or call NACA...go to NACA.COM

angry111 Nov 21, 2010

I asked several times that i need to come in to see them but they refused. They have an address but you can not schedule an appointment to see them. These folks are terrible. They should be disbanded.

Shaking my head.

• Te
    Texas Home Owner Dec 26, 2010

Trust me, even if you talk with someone here (I wrote a letter each time I mailed a payment) you won't get the answers you need. My response letter was such that, we had been running a month behind on our payments and still are (due to salary cuts and unemployment) and each month I include the late fee for the month that is late. In their letter they state they are holding the 'late fees' in a suspense account and each month my late fees increase on their statement. This company couldn't perform an honest fiduciary act if their lives depended on it.

They are crooks, frauds and I'm sure much much more as I have found numerous complaints on BBB in Dallas, TX and 50 states have filed suits against them.

• Wh
    White Sox Apr 27, 2011

Once my good loan with 30% down and fixed interest with Citibank was bundled up and sold to AHMSI, then the nightmares began.

My property value dropped by $110, 000.00 since I bought it 8 years ago. I now have no equity and can not get out from under AHMSI.
    American Home Mortgage Servicing Inc. have been nothing but a nightmare.

You can not electronically pay them from a big bank, e.g. JPM Chase, or there will be a charge. Actually every way to pay, except the old write a check and put it in the mail they will charge you.

I have worked with them for 11 months on HAMP. Each time I call they lost my file, or another company took over etc. They turned me down because of no equity in my home. Good God Almighty, isn't that what the HAMP program is all about? I started out with 30% down...Yes 30% down when I first bought. I started out with a good loan, and got a fixed rate.

AHMSI should be put out of business, I could write a book.

• Be
    Becky Capone Jun 08, 2011

Bob the builder...Are you 5 years old? You are a nasty person and should keep your opinions to yourself. These people regaurdless of how they recived their loans (and you don't know how) are hurting. You are a ###ing ###! People like you don't deserve a voice so shut up!!

• Ac
    acanipe Jul 16, 2011

I agree, I am really tired of having to work with AHMSI. My company has 6 loans that were bought out by AHMSI. I think that there fees to pay by phone are very high, and you can never understand the person that answers the phone.

MaBurrs Jul 16, 2014

I was persuaded by the representatives assisting with the Loan Modification center to allow my mortgage to become 3 months in arrears and then paid over a thousand dollars (which was more than my mortgage) and still did not get the Loan modification. Here is a portion of the hardship letter I was requested to write: “The recent economic catastrophe has affected my job by a reduction in my hours of work. I have been a customer with your company for many years and have never been late with my payment (except the time I was hospitalized in 2017). This letter is to inform you that reduction of hours on my job has caused a severe hardship in our finances. There is only one income in my family now since my husband is unemployed due to the loss of our restaurant during the time I experienced a level 4 brain aneurysm several years ago.”
    After going through all this and moving out of my home which I had to pay over a year of mortgage payments while in the process of trying to get the modification, we lost over 10, 000 dollars in mortgage payments and had to settle with a “short sale” to keep from having a foreclosure on our credit report. We lost over $60, 000 in equity. My prayer is that every person who lost monies and their homes to be reimbursed for what they lost. PLEASE, SOMEONE HELP US GET OUR LIFE SAVINGS BACK. Thanks in advance for your assistance. Again, I had suffered a level 4 brain aneurysm and had to try and go back to work to save my home and after all that, I had to settle for a short sale to keep from entering foreclosure. We all should be recompensed for our troubles.