Complaints & Reviews

amazon placed my account with debt collection agency

My boyfriend used my account (with my permission) and ordered a pack of CDs from a buyer through Amazon.com. We got the CDs just fine, the seller got his payment, and everything was hunky-dory.

Then, a couple of weeks later, I started getting these calls from this debt-collection agency, but they wouldn't tell me what it was about because they were using my boyfriend's name, since he placed the order. I got my boyfriend to call them back and we found out that an amount of $27.24, the exact amount of my boyfriend's CD purchase, had been placed with a collection agency in Alabama.

They could not tell us anything more than the amount owed and how to pay it (a lot about how to pay it). We told them that we did not owe the money because all my records showed that the guy got his payment (and we got the CDs). The agency told us that they didn't know anything about it. They didn't even know it was Amazon. They just knew they were supposed to get money from us.

We hung up and called Amazon. Of course, we all know that Amazon does not post its number on its site, for whatever reason so we had to google up a number. Amazon told us that everything was fine in their systems, too, just like my records showed. We told them we thought so, but this agency won't leave us alone (they called me about 5 times a day for almost two weeks - from 7:30 am to 9 pm and would not tell me why!).

Bottom line is, this collection agency has my name (though they have stopped calling) and amazon will not tell them that I don't owe them anything. I don't know how to get the two companies to talk to each other. We gave the agency Amazon's number, but they said they will not call amazon to verify that my account is fine. I don't even know how the agency got the number, unless amazon gave it to them, which they said they didn't!

So, I'm totally confused and I don't really trust Amazon very much anymore. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

• Bi
    bill bradley Dec 13, 2007

Tell them to stop calling, and leagally they can't call anymore.

• Vo
    volynn Sep 04, 2010

I have thee exact same problem right now. I don't want to give this company $75 for some prodcut they supposedly sent me (and I don't have anything in my Amazon records that match that amount), but can't tell me what the item is. It doesn't make sense because funds should be cleared before items are sent out to customers. On the other hand, I don't want to owe any money to collections. Also, if I give the $75 to the collection agency, they might take out more funds at a later date from my account. It all sounds shady and doesn't make sense.

shoddiest service I have received in my life! no refund received!

On December 21, 2006, I ordered some jewelry from AlleFineJewelry.com via Amazon. They said it needed to be appraised so it would not arrive in time for Christmas. On December 29, 2006, it still had not come. I canceled the order with Alle Fine Jewelry on December 29, 2006 because they emailed me and told me it would not be shipped until Jan. 08, 2007 and did I want to cancel? I answered that I did want to cancel and I asked for a refund. On January 4, 2007, Alle Fine Jewelry emailed me and said they were over-nighting half of my order. I emailed back and asked them why they would send it since I had canceled the order on December 29, 2006. They sent me half of the order. When the package came, I returned to sender and I never opened the package. Then I asked them to please refund my money where they had charged my credit card on December 21, 2006 in the amount of $1938.00.

They received the merchandise back on January 10, 2007 according to FedEx and I have the receptionist's signature on file. I have been asking and asking for my refund daily from Alle Fine Jewelry via Amazon only to be met with, "we are still examining the jewelry you returned." Mind you, they only sent half of the order, but they said they are also examining the one they never sent. That is rather curious to examine one that they never sent.

The person I have been dealing with at Amazon.com is Peg Anderson and she has not been helpful at all, but in fact, now my Amazon.com account has been blocked, which is rather curious since I have purchased hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise from them since 2000, yet, no refund from them still.

As of January 27, 2006 and they still are "examining" the jewelry I returned unopened which I had canceled before they sent it and they still have not given me my refund in the amount of $1938.00 nor a date when I can expect it.

Peg Anderson of Amazon.com was my inspiration for filing this complaint. If you have a complaint about Amazon.com, you can email their Executive Customer Relations Department at [protected]@amazon.com, but don't expect any satisfaction.

Since Amazon.com removes customer reviews and discussions that do not suit their purpose, please beware of their customer reviews on their site. They in fact, did remove my review of the above mentioned merchant, which shows they do not want customers forewarned about bad merchants and that you cannot trust their reviews.

I won't use them again and I am warning everyone I know and even strangers, about them. This is the shoddiest service I have received in my life. I will post this on every complaint forum I can find.

• Ca
    Carolyn Horst Dec 18, 2007

I recently ordered a BRIO Aqueduct Waterway Set from the Amazon site not knowing that it was really coming from Wizard of Math. Amazon site stated 1 left so I hurried and purchased it for a total of $77.89. It was delivered from Wizard of Math. This product was sold for $40 last year so I thought it was going to be discontinued, and trusting Amazon did not shop around. Too bad for me as I have since gone on the BRIO website and they have over 300 in stock for $39.99 plus $8 shipping. I feel like I have been robbed but have learned a valuable lesson. Shop around first and use Amazon as a last resort. No time to do the switch plus with the shipping costs it would not be worth returning and purchasing another.

• Ra
    Rachel Smith Feb 10, 2009

I don't know about Amazon's part in it, but I can tell you that Alle Jewelry is a terrible, terrible company. I, too, am currently waiting for a refund from them. It was supposed to be sent to me several weeks ago, and when I call, they will not tell me when I will actually get my refund, and say they aren't allowed to give out any information. I am filing a complaint against them with the Better Business Bureau-- who, incidentally, only gives them a B-, with most of the complaints being about refunds.

• Sm
    smacky Jun 29, 2009

Wizard Of Math stinks. They are one of those online scam places that does not publish a return policy and then charges a 15% restocking fee. Customer service is bad and deliberatly conceals the return policy. Avoid them!

is amazon a reliable company?

What company would have the "courage" to send this type of message to a client? "I have reviewed you account...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices