Menu
ADVERTISIMENT
Home Auto Insurance & Loan Graduate Management Admission Council [GMAC] unjustified charges
D
Author of the complaint
4:52 am
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

When gmac changed to ally and gm went bankrupt, there was a definite change in policy regarding lease vehicles. I have been buying and leasing vehicles from gm for 20 years. When leasing, I have always turned my vehicles in in perfect condition with never a charge for excess wear or damamge. Since I did not intend to immediately replace my truck that I recently turned in due to my impending move out of state, ally slapped me with a $400+ charge for excess wear. When I complained, they immediately lowered the amount by 40%. According to the rep on the phone, that is the maximum amount they can lower a charge. It is an arbitrary amount with absolutely no connection to the actual case in dispute. This proves that the policy is pre-set to charge something and hope that a portiion iof it sticks. I can see the internal memo now stating that ally can grow profit by $200/vehicle if they charge random fees and hope that some of the public pays them. I'm truly not a conspiriact theorist at all. But, how can they arbitrarily reduce an amount and not admit that the policy is a general corporate policy to charge "exit" fees? After writing a letter and several more long phone calls, I was told today that "it's your credit, there's nothing esle we can do for you,..." just before the rep hung up on me. Never have I had such terrible customer serevice. All I asked for today, after calling back, was an acknowledgement from an ally rep that the company knows that i'm upset and will not return as a customer if this random, unwarranted charge is not reversed. The rep on my call responded by sending me to a "supervisors" voice mail.

Helpful? 0 0

More Graduate Management Admission Council [GMAC] complaints & reviews

Graduate Management Admission Council [GMAC] - lien release
Graduate Management Admission Council [GMAC] - federal fraud
Graduate Management Admission Council [GMAC] - phone payment debited twice, run-arround about refund
Graduate Management Admission Council [GMAC] - gmac smartlease is taking advantage of innocent people
Graduate Management Admission Council [GMAC] - false advertisements
Graduate Management Admission Council [GMAC] - overcharged
Graduate Management Admission Council [GMAC] - fraud - misrepresentation
21 comments
Sep 12, 2017 4:52 am

I just turned in my 2015 Camaro lease with Ally, the car was returned in great shape since it was covered and stored for the winter time and turned in 6k miles under what my lease allowed. 3 weeks later I got a bill for $500 claiming excess wear on the rear tires which were checked prior to returning with no signs of anything more than normal wear. I have reviewed the inspection and from pictures of the rear wheels you can clearly see plenty of tread left. Never will I lease another car from Ally.

Y
Aug 25, 2017 4:52 am

I handed in a spotlessly clean car with one small bump on the trunk (first time ever) my cars are always immaculate when I hand them in. I had the car detailed before I handed it in. There was a picture of a 4" scratch on the roof that they said was from a roof rack. I have never had a roof rack so it wasn't from me. I had the car detailed before I handed it it. It looked like it had been driven through a rough road with mud and stones. The front drivers mat was a real mess, it was spotless when I handed it in. I am glad that I haven't leased from Ally this time. They are lying rip of merchants. I wish I had read this site beforehand I would have taken a video and copious photos when I handed my car in. These people need to be called out for how they get extra money out of people. I will be calling to complain.

A
Jun 11, 2017 4:52 am

I returned my 2014 Camaro one day early at a Chevrolet dealership. It was in perfect condition after a 3 year lease and I used only 25, 600 of the 36, 000 milles. Now, a month later, I got a $375 bill from Ally for a new headliner, tire wear and being a day late returning it. (Remember, I was a day early.) I agree that Ally is making these things up to squeeze an extra payment out of us. Before the lease was up, they offered me an extra month lease extension for the same amount as the monthly payment which I paid before the month. After returning it, they charged an "extension fee" of one months payment amount which was never mentioned. My lease extension contract never said there was any extension fee. I had a copy. I asked the rep to read me her copy of the agreement where it says there's an extra fee. She said they already shredded it.(obvious lie) I read her my copy but she kept talking over me while I read it. I was on the phone (half on hold) over an hour in a heated argument. Called two more times. Same thing. These people are in the Philippines and can barely speak English. Finally got someone in US and settled it. No apologies from anyone for trouble.
Now this return fee charge! Let the battles begin again. I'm NOT paying it. They are just bullying everyone to squeeze money out.

Sep 12, 2017 4:52 am

What did they claim for excess tire wear? I'm curious if this is similar to my case.

A
Mar 18, 2017 4:52 am

Same here, just got ripped off for $1000 and theres nothing I could do about it. They said a 1/4'' windshield crack was >1/2'' by drawing white lines on both sides and INCLUDING THE LINES in the measurement. This is clear in the picture of their report. Also I gave both keyfobs back and they said one was "damaged" . Nothing else noted just a picture of both key fobs completely fine. I told ally I gave both keyfobs back in perfect condition and there is no evidence of any damage in the pictures. The response was "the inspector has no reason to lie".. Just take my money

Mar 08, 2017 4:52 am

When I turned in the car to the dealer at the end of January and it was in great shape. I had just washed it, the dealer looked it over, and agreed there was clearly no "excess wear and tear". Six weeks later I get a letter from Ally that the car had been inspected in Chicago and they found a 17 inch scratch across the doors and I am expected to pay $340. I look at the pictures on line, the car clearly needs a wash, and the supposed excess wear looks more like dirt/salt than a scratch. However, when I cal to complain they don't care about the dealership inspection, the car had already been sold, and I cannot arrange to get it independently inspected. Now that they were dumped by GM, Ally is clearly trying to rip off a couple hundred bucks on each lease turn in. If you're going to turn in an Ally car, take inspection videos of every inch of the car to avoid bogus charges. And use GM Financial for future leases...

Apr 04, 2016 4:52 am

My 86 yr old mother turned in her lease. She had a 3 yr 30, 000 mile lease. Turned the the car at a dealership who noted that the car was spotless, not one door ding and only 11, 000 miles. Fast forward 3 weeks, she received a bill from Ally indicating that she was being charged for a cracked windshield, excessive wear and tear, milage overage and lease termination fees (she did lease pull ahead and leased another vehicle in the same brand).. She called Ally and was given the run around. She called the dealership who said that they would look into it as they completed the inspection paperwork. Ally says they don't care what paperwork the dealership completed this is the way the car was received. Vehicle was garage kept and only driven when the roads were dry!

C
Feb 28, 2016 4:52 am

WHEN IT LOOKS LIKE A SCAM AND SMELLS LIKE A SCAM IT'S PROBABLY A SCAM! I seem to be caught up in the same scam. I returned my 3 year old VOLT 8K under my allowable miles and in absolutely cherry condition. Some wear to the front Bumper-Fascia from parking-lot stop curbs. Hard to avoid as the front Bumper-Fascia is designed as an aero dam and so extremely low it hits the road on elevation changes (gently slopping drives and such). Aerodynamics in the VOLT were exceedingly important in it's design in order to achieve acceptable charged battery mileage. So the design compromise was the design of a flexible rubber front bumper-fascia/air dam promoting better aerodynamics. Returning the car without some scraps to this body piece is therefore impossible. This presents Ally an opportunity to charge for "excess wear" and of course they are taking advantage of it. I'm being asked to pay $209 to replace it! And this isn't the most aggravating charge, it's the other $648 being claimed for "Dull Paint." There was nothing wrong with the paint. I had the car detailed every 3 months and clay treated every year. The car did experience body damage and was repaired, but repaired by Chevrolet at their chosen body shop. I'd dare say the repaired area's paint was better then the factory paint. Ally's inspector took pics (see attached) but in them, there is absolutely no evidence of dull paint. There was none when standing next to the car. No one buying the car would every know by looking or by touching that any bodywork had been done. It would appear the inspector had access to an accident report on the car and then chose those body pieces repaired as now being dull. This may be one of the contributing factors leading to Ally no longer allowing for inspections in front of owners - doing them off site and away from owners, gives them access to all kinds of time and data to build a conceivable but entirely engineered wear report. Or as some on this blog have accused, damage the car. If an inspector, via an accident report, were to know a car was repaired and what parts were involved, they could point to those repaired areas and call them into question, rendering suspicion that said area was repaired in substandard fashion. All they have to record their "dull" claim are the photos they've taken. The photos don't support their claim and I know this because I’m a car guy who’s meticulous about my cars. Other less knowledgeable or aware owners may just conclude the body shop repairs made must have been somewhat defective – or just not up to factory standards. But I know better and still, to fight them, I've got to hire an attorney spend more then the amount they seek and as I fight, Ally slams my credit rating. It's been less than a month and Ally has already reported my payment as late. If Ally can charge for excessive wear on the near pristine car I returned, they can charge for every single lease return in their portfolio! This has the smell of a systemic, measured plan by Ally to squeeze an extra payment (or two) out of every lease return and GM sits by like a false savior forgiving these trumped up fees if (and only if) if you are buying or leasing another car from GM. Ally's a division of GM. They're in collusion - what money GM forgives they've already collected through Ally. A racket is defined as “a service fraudulently offered to solve a problem.” This isn’t just a scam, it's RACKETEERING!

Jan 12, 2016 4:52 am

Ally jumped on the G.M.A.C. good name. G.M.A.C. knew a car 3 years old was not going to look show room. When they sold the car at auction they would make a profit or at least break even. Ally rips the turn in car. Then makes a profit at auction. I insisted with my new car. I would lease with anyone but ally. Ally makes up damage. Paint scrape is changed to gouge. Over mileage was wrong a month later. Ally will lose a lot customers. In the mean time. They will rip unknowing people.

D
Nov 12, 2015 4:52 am

Hey guys,
I finally caught Ally! This is big! After my lease ended, they slapped me with BS charges, like all of you have had...but I requested to see this supposed damage, and they LIED and told me the dealer still had the car on the lot. They told me this 10 days AFTER they'd picked up the car! When they finally told me about the photos of the inspection that were online, I went to look at them...and didn't recognize my car! It looked like someone had driven the car through a rocky, muddy, 3 foot puddle! No way did I return it that dirty, and with a huge rip in the tire! The photos look faked, but that's not the real issue. The real issue is that after telling me in a letter that I could hire a professional appraiser and view the car, and after requesting to do so, they lied about where the car was and never gave me any opportunity to view the car, in person. GOTCHA! Any lawyers out there smelling blood yet?

Jul 18, 2013 4:52 am

NOT SURE IF ANYONE HAS BEEN ON THIS BOAT BUT MY MOTHER AND I WENT TO DROP OFF AN END OF LEASE CAR. IN THE SAME NIGHT WE LEASED ANOTHER VEHICLE. AT THE CONCLUSION OF THE NEGOTIATIONS THE ONLY THING OF NOTE WAS THE ADDITIONAL MILEAGE THE DEALER WAS GOING TO ABSORB. NO INSPECTION OF THE VEHICLE WAS DONE (NOTE THAT WE GOT THE CAR WASHED AND IT WAS IMMACULATE WITH NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR). FAST FOWARD 2 MONTHS LATER AND ALLY IS CHARGING US FOR MILEAGE, WEAR AND TEAR AND TIRES. WHEN WE LOOKED ONLINE TO LOOK AT THE INSPECTION OF THE CAR, IT WAS COVERED IN MUD AND DID NOT LOOK LIKE THE ORIGINAL CAR WE BROUGHT TO THE DEALERSHIP. NOW WE ARE IN NEGOTIATIONS FOR DEALER TO EAT THE MILES AND IN DISPUTE WITH ALLY REGARDING ALLEGED DAMAGES, THAT WE KNOW FOR A FACT WERE NOT ON THE CAR WHEN WE BROUGHT IT IN. DOES ANYONE HAVE AN OPINION ON THIS?

S
Nov 21, 2011 4:52 am

I want to be in on a class action - they repo's my vehicle over a $24 late pament - it took me $1600 to get my car back and a lot of anxiety from the local repo guy

M
Jul 24, 2011 4:52 am

I agree on the class action lawsuit. I was just hit with 750+ in "damages" from hail that did not occur while i was in possession of the car. The inspection was taken two weeks after i turned the car in.

P
Jul 21, 2011 4:52 am

want to sign on to a class action suit - similar experience with these clowns - any suits pending?

B

the pics

View 0 more photos
B
Jul 21, 2011 4:52 am

Ally uses nasty people...was hung-up on 2 times..
GM auto lease return. I followed GM guide lines and took pictures of car in dealers lot. My pictures show no damage. Ally took pictures next day showing damage.
Ally says I have to prove when I took my pictures and camera data is not good enough because it can be altered... Ally rep said I should have included that days newspaper in the pictures I took ... like proof of life in a kidnapping ransom...
Thing is, the data in the pictures they took are time-stamped 10:05pm and later and it it's still daylight in the photos although it's night-time and dark at 10:00pm... and they used the same picture of one tire/wheel twice instead of using pictures of all 4 wheels.
I've leased from GM for 30 years and stayed with them through all the poor quality years.. No more, I'm done with GM because of Ally.
How could anyone miss seeing this damage on car turn-in.
..and here is the same tire picture thet used twice..
I'm thinking about a Small Claims filing... would it work?

Jul 11, 2011 4:52 am

My story is slightly different, after turning my lease in over two months ago I have not received anything, multiple calls, promises of call backs, lease inspector says dealer keeps moving the car and they can't get to it, feeling I am going to get really screwed. Ally provides no help, just puts you on hold time after time. What a great system, never leasing again.

0 0

We have leased cars from GMAC and now Ally for 20 years. Every time we turn it in, at the end of the lease, they try to add some made up problem.Each time its something different Excessive wear, huge dent in side of vehicle, returned only one set of keys. The Dealers are aware of these SCAMS and cannot do anything about it. They are afraid to lose the dealership or some GM benefits. Fortunately we take photos of everything before we turn the vehicle in and have the Dealer sign off after a detailed inspection. GMAC/ALLY backs off of their claim because we have the photos. We are now filing complaints with the California Attorney General, Bureau of Consumer Affairs and the Banking Commission who oversee's these scams. I wonder how many just pay these SCAMS, because of their threat to report the false clam to the Cresdit Bureau. Time for a CLASS ACTION SUIT, if you have had a similar experience with a GMAC/ALLY vehicle lease post it here so we can stop this white collar crime.

M
Aug 07, 2019 4:52 am

Im also a victim. Im willing to join for a class action suit.

L

I have a 2007 gmc Sierra I bought in 07 when it was still gmac and in 08 I got two extensions and now in 2011 ally financial wants me to pay for my payment extensions they said I never got any extensions and they can't find the paper work and they are threatening to reposess my truck.

0 0

I have had nearly the same experience, only one better. I recently turned in my leased Cadillac, the dealer and I inspected the car and both agreed no damage was noted. Three weeks later, I received a $600 bill for damage. After asking for the damage report, I found the car sat in a lot for two weeks before inspection and the description of my car did not match. The Ally rep claimed that is tough to get all the details right, but since the VIN# matched, their claim was considered valid anyway. They claim a door dent and rear bumper damage was noted, which I think if true at all, likely happened in their lot. I have leased from many companies and they all allow you be be available during the final inspection. The rep at Ally explained they changed their policy to not examine cars in front of the customers anymore and the dealership's report is not binding. This gives them full authority to charge customers for charges without having to prove themselves or get the reports right. In fact, I think they are using 3rd party inspectors who are encouraged to "find" charges to pad their bottom line. Without much effort, the rep offered to remove the door damage claim ( the lesser of the two charges), but will not do much more. The dealer backed me up and paid the remaining claim for me, but they are not happy with Ally at all. I will never do business with ALLY again!

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

115 complaints