Having problems with Aetna?

+1 800 872 3862 (Customer Service)
+1 855 335 1407 (Medicare Advantage)
+1 800 345 6022 (Medicare Supplement Plans)
+1 800 307 4830 (Coverage)
+1 800 633 4227 (Medicare Helpline & Website)
151 Farmington Ave.
SatClosed
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

Denial of Long Term Disability Benifits

I applied for long term disability benefits through my employer (Federal Government) under a policy that I...

Health Insurance

I have paid into Aetna Insurance for 3 years...first time I try to use my insurance...nothing but problems...took 4 hours of phone calls from my job and still could not get my prescription..talked to 3 different departments, 3 different people and they can't even get the spelling of my medication straight...was given 3 different prices of the meds..and then they couldn't find my meds in their system...being on a 3 tier level for meds...Generic is suppose to be $15.00 co-pay..., then I went to the pharmacy to get and Aetna wants to charge me $60.00...left without my prescription...called, was told no that the regular prescription should be $32.18...and the generic should be $60.00...this is absolutely nuts...2 days now and I still don't have my prescription and I'm in Severe PAIN...AETNA ABSOLUTELY SUCKS AND THEY HAVE NO CLUE ON THE OTHER END OF THE PHONE...MY FIRST EXPERIENCE AFTER PAYING FOR 3 YEARS IS A NIGHTMARE

JaneDoe Jun 25, 2010

Whenever there is ANY issue you should 1st call your PLAN SPONSOR'S REPRESENTATIVE.
    You can call your human resources department of the employer the AETNA insurance is through.
    Ask for the insurance benefits specialist & ask them why your employer chose AETNA - explain how
    they may not want to go with AETNA as an option for the next open benefits registration.

The liason may be able to get some action.
    This really freaks out everyone at AETNA because they risk losing the contract ;)

JaneDoe Jun 25, 2010

If your employer had the type of AETNA insurance that just has AETNA reviewing & paying claims... is it your employer's money used to pay the bills instead of AETNA's money? If it is, then it's very possible your employer is aware of all your health information including labs, diagnoses, vital signs, medications & every chart ever made on you. The employer is the "payor" and possibly has access to all of your information. It's seems wrong to alert employers of high risk / "high dollar" employees. I expressed my concerns about this and didn't get far. They claim the employer doesn't have the name of the actual employee costing them so much $$$.
    I wonder though if an employer could figure out which of it's employees has been in the ICU for 20+ days? It doesn't seem too difficult for them to figure it out.

Aetna Health Insurance

I worked for an Insurance broker for just over a year and dealt with claims and complaints on a regular basis. Now I know that certain things are not covered, however with Aetna there are a few things I would like to share. Out of all the companies I worked with they were hard to deal with and when I say that I mean: Rude customer service people and no accountability.
This insurance was provided through Group Insurance at work so I figured I was getting a great deal. The providers on the list in my area would not see new patients for a waiting period of 4-6 months. And given the state of the economy I wasn't sure how long I would be able to afford it. Anyway after I got through the entire list of providers with just one doctor willing to see me that month. I called Aetna and asked to change my provider, they said, "No problem." After 10 minutes of waiting I was informed that there was an issue with that provider and they couldn't make it my primary at the time. The Representative went on to say as long as they are an Aetna provider I can see that Doctor. I went to a simple standard check up with urine analysis, blood work, reflects, and check for hernia. Now About 7 months after my visit I get a letter from a billing company stating I owe them 150.00. Aetna refused to pay even though I called to verify and had given them up to 1600.00 without going to the Doctor once. They made the process drag out for the next 3 months with promises it would be resolved, but it never happened. The Claim was denied on three different occasions. Two times due to an invalid tax id that the doctor uses and Aetna requires. I am now in the midst of filing an appeal and it's almost been a year since the visit and I am still slugging it out with this insurance company that enjoys collecting money. But, refuses to pay for one Doctor visit in a year. I had not been to the Doctor in 2 years because of tough times and this is what I had to deal with.
I understand their are regulations on policy on what’s cover and what’s not. But, to mis-inform customers and then say well their are no notes on the call so must pay the full amount. This is a prime example of Insurance company abusing the fact this country has one of the worst providers of Medical assistance. I make too much for Medicare and not enough for regular insurance. Their are millions of Americans like me that get the shaft from companies like this on a monthly basis. This company I would recommend you stay away from if possible. However, until they fix the system in this country they will profit from us when we are sick and when we are healthy. They refuse to provide basic checkups and increase our rates because we fail to go to the Doctor due to fact it's such a Dam hassle. I am sure some will say stop complaining or just pay the bill. For 1600.00 a year I think I deserve a doctor visit with simple co-pay that was explained to me when I joined. I highly advise you go with Humana if you can qualify or is worth it in your individual situation. Will write back with the outcome; however I have a feeling it will take a year from the date I went to the doctor. wtf

As far as speaking to a supervisor / manager... try calling:
    860-748-8186 or 210-771-0214

Bad Faith Disability Claims Handling

My disability income was unlawfully cut off in February--Aetna claimed they performed a peer review, but they...

High cost, Low benefits

My employer ( One of the big banks taking gobs of taxpayer money to clean up their bad business practices) switched my health insurance coverage to Aetna and I have had nothing but problems since. Aetna seems to cover very little compared to my former provider and they demonstrate a "Couldn't care less" attitude when I call to get their reasons for dening claims that the old provider covered with no questions. Since I pay just as much for my current Aetna policy as I did for the old one, ( a bit more in fact) the difference in coverage is nothing short of a complete rip-off. I have no choice in the matter as my employer offers no other option ( I wonder how much Aetna is paying for that) I strongly advise anyone with an opportunity to choose their healt care insurance provider to avoid Aetna like the Plauge! (they don't cover that either, I'm sure)

Mary H Jun 30, 2009

It wouldn't be so bad if you could bypass the inconsiderate reps by asking for a supervisor. WARNING! If "Mike" from Middletown picks up when you call... call back. He's rude and refused to allow a supervisor to speak with me. He told me to "get a pen, I'm waiting, now write Mike, M-I-K-E, #A243977..." and hung up the phone. I'm a teacher and our family purchased our medical benefits through my husband, chosing AETNA. Next time we will pass. I'd rather even pay more money and be treated with respect than ever be in that position again. The way he spoke to me- he had to be alone because he was loud.

• Co
    CONNIE J. NEFF Aug 03, 2009

We own a sm. business and have AETNA ins. until this year we have had no claims. Of the 7 claims only one was processed correctly. All of these claims fall under the co-pay part of the policy. Every time I call they tell me it should have been paid but due NOTHING about it. To make matters worse it's time to renew our policy and they have inceased the preium ove $200.00 a month

• Nm
    nmalonson Oct 07, 2009

Aetna sucks. I had surgery on my neck almost 3years ago. Now I am having numbness and tingling in my right arm and fingers. This was a symptom before the surgery. They had to put 2 metal rods in my neck. I am clearly having a problem again. Aetna denied an MRI that my neurosurgeon ordered to see what is going on. Then my rheumatologist ordered one, and they denied it also. This is just 1 thing in a long line of insurance fraud and abuse by them.

• To
    Tobysmom8 Dec 18, 2009

I have never had such terrible customer service in my life! I'm currently on Cobra and had to change my benefit plan due to a HUGE increase in price (over $200), with higher co-pays for doctor visits and prescriptions. I was given 3 other options to choose from but no information on co-pays or rx prices. Simple information right? Wrong! I talked to 3 people at Aetna and they could give me NO information on any of these plans! I kept asking to speak to someone else and same story. I must add that EVERY single rep I spoke with was rude, snarky, and kept me on hold forever! Finally, I asked to speak to a supervisor, and the rep rudely said, "Okay!" I was on hold for 20 minutes and finally hung up. Once my Cobra ends, I will try to locate another insurance company. I will NEVER pay for an Aetna insurance plan.

JaneDoe Jun 25, 2010

I think AETNA was blaming underestimating the costs of "cobra" patients for a decline in their profits at one point recently.
    Maybe they want you to cancel your cobra coverage?

As far as speaking to a supervisor / manager... try calling:
    860-748-8186 or 210-771-0214

Health Claims

Aetna did not pay claims submitted in 2008. Presription and recommendations were issued by Medical Physician Specialist and Aetna still refused to pay, stating procedures unnecessary.

janet Mason Aug 25, 2010

they are cheaters they have you paying in but they cut off benefits

Non-English Speaking &Helpdesk&

In this day and age when American jobs are taken away, I called Aetna for info twice. Both times, I was transfered to an "agent" who was obviously outsourced. Oxford was in the U.S.

Time for us to start making our decisions based on what companies outsource.

• Am
    American Veteran Feb 18, 2009

When I was a young soldier in Thailand (U.S. Air Force 1972), I was expected to speak their language when "in their country". I did find someone to teach me some reading skill, but writing was a definite challenge. Point is; I did learn to speak most of the proper dialect in a few short months. If I could have stayed another year, I would have been able to almost master it. The more I visited downtown like the markets, theatre, taxi drivers, etc., really helped me learn the local language and customs.
    If you want to live in my country, please learn the language. If your country is so bad, then why don't you change it ? You are not entitled to anything here in the USA.
    English is what is spoken and written here. My company does not, and will not cater to anyone who does not speak english.

Denial of well care benefit

I am a professional w family insured by an Aetna PPO. I have a particularly agregious example of what has become the norm in the insurance industry and that is claim denial by default.

Recently Aetna denied coverage of my 6 year old daughter's annual well-care visit. The reason? Apparently we had only allowed 359 days between appointments and they look for "12 consecutive months" to have elapsed.

Given a company that will automatically deny well-care coverage for a healthy 6 year old, one can only imagine the heartache they give to someone truly sick.

B. Craft

• Ha
    hateaetna Feb 25, 2009

I feel your pain . . .also Grace family with Aetna PPO insurnace which brings sighs of frustration from providers whenever they hear we're covered (or often not!) by Aetna . . .We also ran into the 359 day rule and were denied well visit coverage. Also had to fight for a well visit to be covered because the children rec'd flu shots several months prior! They fight every claimthey possibly can . . .becareful if your chuildren ever need surgery! The coverage is awful even when medically necessary! Aetna is considered the bottom of the barrell in the industry . . .way out in front when it comes to screwing members at any costs . . . I don't know why Grace continues with this coverage ?? . . oh I know . .. it such bad ocverage and the cheapest available they can keep paying the execs big bonues while their emplpoyees children do without health coverage and necessary medications . . . Grace refuses to cover my sons asthma medication or even the antibiotics he needed for ear infections as a baby because they were not on the formulary! He is alleregic to the oneon formulary and even with a doctor's note, they refused . . .nice . . .real interested in the well being of their employees and familes . . . the almighty dollar . . Hang in there . . .I'd let HR know how crappy the coverage is . .until we all complain loud enough they will nver listen . .

Flex fund

I registered for a flex fund through my employer at the time of the birth of my third child. I was assured by both Aetna and my employer that the matter was common place, and that whatever eligible expenses occurred as a result of the birth could be recompensed from my flex fund. Now I am being told by Aetna that I was not covered by my flex fund due to a delay in payroll deduction. I am being told by my former employer that this is 1) untrue and 2) a common, though inexplicable response for Aetna. Starbucks (former employer) has been nothing but supportive (yay Starbucks) but as usual Aetna is stonewalling, misdirecting and delaying resolving the issue. Their administration of flex fund claims is reprehensible. Were they in a position to actually profit from this practice, they would have been sued already. Sadly though, they are not: the funds in question are forfeited if nothing is done with them by the end of the year. They are playing games with other people's money simply because they are arrogant, mean spirited and lazy. How sad...

They suck

I HATE AETNA! THEY ARE MAKING MY FIRST PREGANCY A LIVING HELL. FIRST THEY TELL ME THAT THE ULTRA SCREEN, WHICH TESTS FOR DOWN SYNDROME IS NOT COVERED IN MY PLAN-OR ANYONE'S PLAN FOR THAT MATTER. MY DOCTOR TOLD ME THEY ARE ***THE ONLY*** INSURANCE THAT DOESN'T COVER THIS, EVEN THOUGH IT IS RECOMMENDED BY THE NATIONAL BOARD OF OBGYN'S. SECOND, I GET A LETTER IN THE MAIL FROM THEM TODAY STATING THAT ANY TESTS THAT ARE DONE AND SENT TO THE COMPANY "LABCORP" ARE NOT COVERED UNDER AETNA, ONLY TESTS SENT TO "QUEST" WILL BE PAID BY THEM. MY DOCTOR ONLY USES LABCORP-SO NOW I AM JUST WAITING TO GET A BILL FROM LABCORP TO PAY FOR A FREAKIN PAP TEST. I AM SO MAD!! AND THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT IT EXCEPT STAY MAD.

claims

I was told over the telephone when i called customer svc about a claim that although i work, my...

Don't pay, Docs don't take it

Went to the doc in April of '07, they still haven't paid. Looking for a new doc, but no one wants to take SRC Aetna insurance because they have a bad reputation. Tried to get an appointment recently and not one of the doctors on their list online will take me before the middle of January. What am I paying them for? If I didn't have health insurance I would be better off! Isn't that sad?

• Ye
    yet another src victim Apr 23, 2009

I have experienced it first hand with SRC. It is truely unbelieveble they can get away with what they do. I have 6 bills for 3 days of service (1 day for blood work, one day for xrays, and one day for a one hour procedure). The 6 billers for the misc services have all been unsuccessful at getting SRC to receive the bills. Even though the billers have fax confirmations, electronic filing confirmations, and sent bills by U.S. mail, they all "disappear" on the SRC end. Amazing. Its been six months and I spend about 4 hours a month on the phone trying to get them to find the bills as we re-fax them. Capitalism an at its finest.

• Vi
    virtuositycounts Jul 09, 2009

My husband and I are paying a lot of money for a policy that is USELESS. I was recently in the ER and they said that they can't bill me because I"m not in their nextwork..even though the people at Aetna say my hospital is in their network.

My doctors are all coming back to me and saying that I'm going to have to pay out of pocket because nothing is covered under them. Only $350 is covered...and I have to make $350 stretch out for a CT scan, blood work, chiropractor, and therapist?

Yeah, right. What am I paying for this insurance for? Do you realize that there is better health care for the uninsured in clinics than people who are insured by Aetna SRC? This insurance is a scam at best!

Non payment of Bills

Aetna has continued to deny paying bills for both my husband and myself, claiming the procedures were not precertified. I have contacted all doctors who called for the procedures and they are certain everything was PRECERTIFIED AND PREAUTHORIZED. I continue to get the run around from everyone at Aetna, as well as their third party Med Solutions. This is now going to the California State Board of Insurance, initiated by both my providing hospital Hoag, my prescribing doctor and myself.
In the last year, my premiums have DOUBLED and the service from Aetna is terrible. I am discussed.

• Ti
    ticked123 Feb 20, 2009

I am so tired of hearing people moan and groan about insurance companies denying them services. What people fail to realize is that the bottom line with services that are not covered or denied for whatever reasons is that 9 times out of ten if a procedure or service is not covered it is the fault of the employer that group insurance policies are obtained through. A perfect case in point is Bariatric surgery I cant even tell you how many times I have talked to someone that is totally outraged over the fact that Aetna or another insurance carrier is denying a medically necessary procedure. I have never heard such a whiney society! First of all, the customer service rep that you call and yell and scream at because you need this surgery because you are morbidly obese cant do a thing to change the fact that this is not covered; Have a conversation with your employer if you are ticked that you cant have this surgery. I am the first to admit that Bariatric surgery is a necessity for some people but for all of you people out there that want to eat whatever you please and gain tons of weight and then have an invasive surgical procedure to fix it don’t expect your insurance to cover this. The deductible and co insurance rates as well as co-pays are no exception to this rule, the employer works with the health insurance carrier to put together a plan that the employer can AFFORD. In reality if they pick the lower co-pay or deductible they are going to pass that expense along to you in your premiums, then everyone will complain about their premiums, which again the health carrier has NOTHING TO DO WITH. We as a society expect that everything be free in life, especially health benefits. NEWSFLASH nothing in life is free and anything pertaining to the health care field is going to be expensive. Don’t expect to get insurance or health care for free because its not going to happen. It is very frustrating to take calls from members who are screaming and yelling at you about things that you cant change and have nothing to do with. So the next time that you get on the phone and are screaming profanities at the customer service rep think twice about where your anger should be directed. Your plan is mostly based on what your employer is willing to pay for and what they want YOUR premiums to be. Think about this, you don’t buy a car without first doing research on the vehicle luxuries and gas mileage you want to get the most for your money. When its time to renew your benefits do some research LIKE YOU WOULD ON ANYTHING ELSE YOU ARE SPENDING MONEY ON!

Awful customer service

I was talking to Audry a case manager at Aetna today. She was very rude and did not care about my patient. She seemed angry and when I gave clinical information about the patient she made fun of the symptoms and the situation my patient was in. I was about to turn in a apl for Aetna Insurance for myself but I am going to tell my agent to find me some other options! I would recommend that Audry learn more about health care so she will not be so judgmental about patients symptoms. This is private health care information and not something to judge or make sarcastic fun of.

• Ju
    Justin806 Feb 01, 2010

I to spoke with this Audry lady. I have to agree she is the worse customer service person I have every been in contact with. I am angry, that it states something right on the EOB and she reads it to me and then says no we don't do that. What the heck!

Terrible experience

Yep. Same problems with Aetna RX - Asthma medications won't get refilled for ANY number of reasons! Twice it was because they "didn't receive" the faxed in prescription. Then it was held up because insurance denied it (??) then I was told they would get it filled, then i got a call from my doctor saying the Aetna RX wouldn't fill it...

I have spent HOURS on the phone with these people and want to file a formal complaint - anyone know how to do this. This has seriously gotten out of hand and is the most cluster freaked business I have had the misfortune of dealing with.

Mary H Jun 30, 2009

Go to the ER every day for your medicine... every single day... they can't deny ER visits b/c it's subjective aand according to what you call an emergency... you'll definitely end up on a report to the higher ups... then they'll call to "manage" you... then they'll solve your problem b/c it's costing too much to keep paying ERs:)

Mackman Sep 11, 2010

My doctor called in my RX on August 24th and still no meds onSeptember 11th. Aetna told me Meds mailed on Sept 3rd and after nine days zip. They claim it takes two weeks through postal service. Even 3rd class beats this. I can walk to Kansas City in less than nine days. They lie cheat and their customer snervice{no typo] mensa members cant find their rear ends with two sharp sticks. I will be lodging a complaint with the Montana Attorney General and the Insurance comission. My funeral should be over by then. Aetna you suck.

Billing

I was a member of Aetna through H and R Block from March through July of 2008. I received, on October 15, a letter with Aetna letterhead purporting to be a bill for pharmacy purchases billed to Aetna from CVS Pharmacy and Bridgeport Pharmacy.
Here's the problem: I was never a customer of Bridgeport Pharmacy; the CVS purchases were made in August and September, and the pharmacy staff knew I was no longer a member, so they would not have billed Aetna; and, the so-called "invoice" is a bad copy printed on cheap paper: Aetna would never send a legitimate bill that looks like this. I'm not worried about paying the "bill": my concern is that someone has my pharmacy information.

Unpaid Bills But They Were Approved

Aetna SRC okays every thing and pays nothing! This should be their moto. I have 50K hospital bill from my...

Scam and cheating

Aetna’s Short Term/Long-term Disability benefits are the worst. You pay for it- oh yeah, you pay. Try...

They will not pay for the surgery

I had back surgery in 12-07 & United health care says my surgery was not medically necessary! I was in excruciating pain for 7 years before I decided to undergo surgery in the Laser Spine in Tampa. The total cost of the surgery is $70, 000.00 & as of today-united health-care says that their doctors say that I got surgery for my convenience & not for my necessity. I do not know where to go from here. If anyone out there has any advice, please let me know...Do I contact a lawyer that I cannot afford?

Stay away from them

I went to see a specialist. After checking Aetna's website to make sure the doc was in network, I called Aetna to make sure as well. The doc even called and transcribed the call because of problems with Aetna in the past. The claim came. They charged the doc as out of network. After I called, the customer service rep just did not care. It was not her problem. My doc had to go through and get Aetna to pay, but the *** paid about 28 dollars. What am I paying a monthly fee for if the *** wont cover in network doc visits. Aetna has the worst customer service, worst marketing, and worst fees. I hate Aetna.

• Le
    Lee Jul 21, 2008

I agreed.

I called this morning for my son dental x-ray that was covered by aetna and when I talked their custome service, she was not courteous, confrontational and when I asked her I would like to talked to the manager she put me on hold for a long time and I ended up hanging up the phone.

• Mb
    MB Nov 17, 2008

My company uses Aetna. I have access to Aetna Navigator but have to re-establish myself with the employee self service site to re-choose my benefits. That's because, according to the self service rep, Aetna Navigator allows you to print cards and see status of claims but ESS lets you establish coverage. And the point would be? Let's talk about the fact that the form one fills out to create an ID on ESS has cookies that stores my SSN and displays it each time the form is displayed. Oh, and an ID that I'll use once a year, I'm told, for ESS is generated for me. I'm told to write it down and store it for future use - that would be next year at open enrollment.

Oh, and if you're a member of their HMO, you're not covered until you choose a primary care physician. They don't tell you that.

I've hated Aetna since they canceled their contract with Northwestern years ago and did not notify us. Northwestern did. While that's old news, it speaks very highly to their total lack of customer service, which has not gotten any better.

There must be something better. I pay way too much out of pocket to have to deal with poor handling of sensitive data and overall crappy customer service.