24 Hour Fitnessdues increase???

I have been a member of 24 Hour Fitness for nearly 20 years. I even worked for them in the late 1990's & early 2000's. By working for them I knew the service agreements like the back of my hand. Every section and every clause...

This month, I was balancing my account and noticed... my 24 Hour Fitness dues were increased?!? I was like... hold on, I know my contract did not allow for a dues increase nor did it give 24 Hour Fitness the right to raise my dues.

I called the club I go to and the worker told me they sent me a letter last month notifing me of the increase and 24 Hour Fitness's agreements reserve the right to increase dues... yadda yadda yadda. She confirmed my address on file and I did not recieve a letter. I am also signed up via their e-mail system... and didnt get an e-mail either.

I tried to explain that I knew my agreement front back and side to side as I worked for the company and it does not allow a dues increase and I know the agreements have changed 3 times since I have worked for them.

Long story short... I asked for a copy of my original agreement/contract and the worker stated, I can send you our current agreement. I explained I didnt want the current one as I signed and agreed to a different one... she placed me on hold and when she came back she said she would try and request it but it would cost me $20.00 and she doubted they could get me the original copy as 24 Hour Fitness has basically closed their corporate offices in Southern California and moved everything to Asia to save money.

The increase is not that large... but its the principle. Not to mention if they increased my dues... they have or will increase the other 5 million + members which easily adds hundreds of millions to their company...
Is this legal? Can they do this? I dont want to cancel my membership as the club is 2 blocks from my house... and I know the local workers can not do anything...
What if anything can I do??????

• In
    intellex58 Jul 12, 2016

Cchuckles,

Don’t tell him not to pursue a lawsuit, the only way for [censored]s like this to learn is to go to many high priced attorneys, make sure they are not free consultations (those are a waste of time, ) and have them laugh him out of their office, and in the end when he gets nothing and owes money perhaps he will learn not to shove things so far in his ears that they rupture the drum. At the very least he should call his mother and reprimand her for not teaching this to him when he was five.

• Ju
    Justin Lomako Jul 12, 2016

I purchased a set of ear buds at 24 HOUR FITNESS and being that I work out and move around the ear buds would come out of my ear and as a result of having to put and push then into my ear a few too many times it ruptured my ear drum and now I have to go to the VA on [protected] to get my ear fixed. I have not been able to hear out of my left ear for a month now.
    24 HOUR FITNESS sells these ear buds for $20.00 on up and I later went to Walmart and bought a set for $10.00 that go over my ear and stay on the top of my ear and have had no problem with the ones from Walmart that cost half as much.
    24 HOUR FITNESS is aware of this problem and is continuing to sell this defective product.
    I want to sue 24 HOUR FITNESS for damages.

• Cr
    Crosshairz Jul 12, 2016

This relatively new 24 Hour Fitness Center is well used and attended. Unfortunately, the regular use of the equipment results in equipment malfunctions and breakdowns - - this is expected. The incredible length of time for the eventual repair(s) to the equipment is rediculous. It took newly two years to get a large mirror that was cracked near a squat rack replaced and almost as long to have a faulty water fountain repaired/replaced! Other equipment repairs also go unattended. The Santee facility has a Smith machine that has been out of service for almost 8 weeks and now a cable machine that has been heavily used due to the useless Smith machine is also out of service. This lack of attention to equipment repair is unacceptable and should not tolerated - - I note that my monthly dues are withdrawn without "malfunction" every month!
    Please, get off your lazy a$$ and get the equipment fixed! Since the equipment repair is so poor at this location I presume it occurs at other 24 Hour Fitness facilities as well. Write corporate and express you displeasure.

JorgeIII May 02, 2016

In 2007 or 2008 I signed up for a 3 year membership with 24 Hour Fitness in Simi Valley, CA, for over $600.00 for me, my wife and my son. Contract stated that after 3 years I was locked for "lifetime" to pay only $29 per person every year. This year, 2016, I received a letter informing me that I was not to pay $79.00 per person and if I did not, my membership would be cancelled. I, too, would like to request that 24 Hour Fitness either stands and honor their their agreement. I am very much in favor of filing a class action lawsuit against 24 Hour Fitness for this breach of contract.
    I'm in the process of searching for the written contract at this time.

• Re
    Reality Check A Mar 11, 2016

24 Hour took over the local gym. No increase in dues or for my personal trainer. Last year, he notified me that I owed for a month. I called their financial office. Asked for a supervisor to call me back. Four times. None called. After many hours, email & telephone calls, they admitted their mistake. One month later, my trainer tells me he recieved notice that I cancelled my training. Never did. I had it with their incompetence. I have since joined another local gym. No problem. Last month, 24 Hour Ftitness sent me an email asking me to join. Now that's chutzpah.

• Li
    Lisa Vix Jan 02, 2016

I too have had my yearly membership fee go up this year. Signed a contact 1/9/08 for 3 years at $700.00 and after the three years are up $49.00 per year for life. Well I guess life is only good for 4 years, I have my contact and read it call and talked to members services and my own gym manger (who hung up on me). Now the kicker to this is my friend who signed up a day before me at the same gym her dues have not gone up...Now this friend really doesn't go to the gym maybe 10 times a year, I however go all the time. Question why my dues went up and her's didn't interesting right? FYI there is a clause in the contact that states "If you have a prepaid membership, 24 hour will not increase your initial annual renewal amount on page 1 of this agreement, but may increase all subsequent annual renewal amounts. 24 hour will send you notice of your new annual renewal amount each year thereafter prior to the end of our then current term." So I don't know where this stands but if you are told x amount for life and it increases where is the accountabilities. No where in the contact does it say x amount for life but that was part of the whole sells pitch. I would be interested in per taking in a class action lawsuit just for what I have stated above. Thanks for reading this

• Ke
    KenPearland Dec 29, 2015

My annual fee for all Sport membership is increasing from $99 to $ 149.99 this year! It is Not what they told me when I became a membership. They told me that the life time rate will be $99.99 plus tax until I cancel the membership.I got a bad feeling about this company 24 hours fitness. They were NOT honest with the customer. I have been ripped off by them.
    Pearland, TX 77584

• Vi
    Vince Piscitelli Nov 24, 2015

I am in same boat as many of you who initially was told that a $29 "processing fee" would be charged each and every year and will never go up. Now I have to pay $79. I purchased 3 "Lifetime" contracts - 1 for myself, 1 for my daughter and 1 for my wife, for $600 each, or at least that's what my cc was charged.

The language on the contract that 24 Hour Fitness posted on my account ambiguously says they can increase rates. I am not positve that that is the same contract I signed, which I think I have a copy of at home.

I think the problem here is that most, if not all of us, were told this was some sort of processing fee that would always remain the same, rather than an annual dues fee. And I was explicitly told that there would never be an increase to a "processing for renewal fee."

We need to file a class action suit and if everyone who was taken advantage of, was told the fees would never go up like me, I think we may have a case.

[email protected]

joselito talavera Oct 28, 2015

I paid a $599.87 x 3 on 11-26-2007 along with my wife and eldest son. Next yearly payment would be $29 each x 3 started on 11-26-2010. I continuously paid that amount for 5 years without miss. I am so happy and brag that I made a very good deal to my friends and family. Now, [protected]) comes a renewal letters from 24 Hours Fitness that I have to pay $79 each which will due on 11-26-15. This is outrageous! I checked my contract it stated that they can increase our renewal annual amounts. I guess any amount they wanted to. So frustrating! any help I can provide to stop this nonsense charges please email me at [email protected] Thanks

• Mo
    moloa Oct 19, 2015

2006 paid lump sum for Personal Trainer, 3 years membership, 49/year for life. For 2 mos. every time I cked in, the computer said- see receptionist. I made numerous- 7 attempts to find out what the issue was. After enquiring with the receptionist, I was told they had received my payment and everything was ok. On 2 occasions they said they would have the manager call, but I never heard back. This week, attempting to get in a workout, I was denied entry, but the receptionist after looking into it said my account was past due even though I paid my $49.00 on time as I have every year. They said there had been an increase to $99.00 and that I was past due $50.00 and my membership was cancelled. I spoke with the manager, he said he agreed the receptionist ought to have told me, gave me an 800 customer service number to have my membership reinstated. I called, was on hold for an hour. Finally spoke to a Customer Service Rep, told my story. She plainly said that my membership was cancelled- nothing to be done.I asked for a supervisor. Same thing. He told me there was nothing he could do- that reinstating my membership was akin to raising my grandmother from the dead. RP in HI.

• Mi
    Michael Andrew Norberto Oct 02, 2015

One more person in this boat, I signed up for 49$ a year for all sport. Then the gyms around me upgraded to super sport so I had to pay 20$ a month plus my annual fee. I was hesitant but it was still the best deal I could get. Now my annual fee went up to 124$. Now combining the fees, it's just about the same price as a new membership. Was told when I signed up that it was for life as long as I paid my annual fee. What a bunch of rotten people. I'll do business with a more honest company and pay extra out of principle and not to give 24hr any more money.

• Ha
    Hamid727 Oct 02, 2015

I am in the same boat like everyone else my life time mbership went from $29 to $79 we need an attorney to help us.

• Wi
    winson2fat Sep 28, 2015

I am in the same situation as you all. Rather than contacting 24 hour fitness which I have over the last 4 months to request a copy of my original contract, I will file a small claim suit in court to see if an injunction can be issued to prevent the fee increase. These postings, although hearsay evidence, along with my previous payment of $29 will hopefully support my argument of misrepresentation by the sales person who promised the guaranteed rate of $29 after the initial payment of over $600 is good for lifetime and not temporarily.

• Ph
    Phoo3y Sep 21, 2015

You can get a copy of the original contract from the 24HF website. https://www.24hourfitness.com/MSO.do# Create an account/log-in, 'My Membership'->'Agreements', select your account and the system will email a copy of the contract to you. The copy I have is from 2012 and still matches the contract they have on file.
    Pertinent part of the contract: "3(c). Right to Increase dues: If you have a monthly membership, 24 Hour may increase your monthly dues once per calendar year. The increase will be calculated at not more than three percent (3%) of your then current monthly dues. Any such increase will not occur during the first three (3) months of your membership. Your EFT date will not change. If you have a prepaid membership, 24 Hour will not increase your Initial Annual Renewal Amount on page 1 of this agreement, but may increase all subsequent annual renewal amounts. 24 Hour will send you notice of your new annual renewal amount each year thereafter prior to the end of your then current term."
    Seems the monthly membership is capped at 3%, but there isn't a cap regarding the prepaid membership (unless someone can figure a way to have the 3% apply to prepaid also).

joseph Sep 15, 2015

Does anyone have the original contract? i'm trying to locate mines but no luck yet. I want to see if the original contract states anything about annual raise. or was it for life at $49. if it does't states anything about it, im sure there will be a class action law suit.

• Da
    David Findeisen Sep 14, 2015

You can file a complain thru the CFPB, consumer finance protection bureau ...their sole and only job is protecting consumers from corporate contract and financial protection! Their only income is by fining companies, so they Really take it seriously!

Please file ! They will want a copy of your original contract...I've filed as it happened to my wife as well. Only when you do NOTHING do THEY WIN

• Gh
    G Hall Sep 14, 2015

I too received a bill with the increase to $79 annual renewal fees. I had for over 15 years paid $29 annual renewal fees which I thought was a lifetime agreement. I cannot locate my original contract to evaluate the terms. Does anyone have a copy of the 15 year old contract? I will pay the increase because I do not want to risk termination; I think this is wrong, but can we prove it?
    I will file my complaint with the BBB.

• Kh
    Khoa Nguyen Aug 31, 2015

File a complaint at the BBB:

It's on the right hand side

• Ba
    Ballisticus Maximus Aug 10, 2015

I too, have received the same letter of increase from the lifetime membership of $49 a year to $99 a year when I was promised that the $49 and all club access for life. I believe most people are just paying the increase but we need to all complain and do more. Not to 24 hour fitness, nothing will be resolved that way. A simple thing everyone can do is write their complaints on the BBB (better business bureau) website or even office of consumer protection. BBB has a pretty easy straightforward way to write a complaint and have a response directly from 24 hour fitness as the BBB acts as a mediator. Best of all it's free. We all need to do something or nobody will know of how we were all wronged. I haven't heard of any recent class action lawsuits on this so we all need to do our part nationwide.

• Ca
    carrie2 Aug 10, 2015

Mine went up from $29 to $79 with no advance notice after paying 3 years in advance and can't find my original contract. I was looking on here for an answer to all these complaints.

• Jj
    JJM410 Aug 03, 2015

It's frustrating to deal with a company that is obviously trying to rip off their customers based on the fine print written to take advantage of people. Their salespeople are lying in order to make a quick sale, informing people that they will have a once a year lifetime membership due, to increase that membership 300% overnight with the possibility of being able to do that every year, because "they reserve that right" in their contract. In the long run, they will lose, because they will lose more people then the money they think their gaining.

• Br
    Brian Yu Jul 29, 2015

I haven't had this increase... yet. But my buddy also got his annual fees increased with the same contract.

We should start a petition on https://www.change.org/ to make some noise.

Angie Guzman Jul 29, 2015

I am going through the same got off the phone about how they need it but I can understand them doing this to new members but for their loyal members get out of here shouldn't they give us a promotion for being a member for over 10 years. I paid $500 for 3 years and $53 for the years after. What gives they didn't notify me about the increase and just add it to my bill with out any kind of notification at all.

Ann Jacob Jul 26, 2015

My fees went up more that $50 for an annual contract. My neighbor said his fees went up $45. I looked at my contract.
    In my contract, under 3(c) in the Right to Increase Dues section, it says"The increase will be calculated at not more than three percent (3%) of your then current monthly dues."
    Mine went up way more than 3%. Can they do that??

• Bi
    BigAl71 Jul 22, 2015

I have been member since 2006. I just got a letter by email informing same thing will happen to me! My initial annual renewal amount was $49 for the first five renewal years, but starting next year, they will increase it to $99 - over 100% increase! Here is the letter:
    Subject: Membership Notification - Annual Renewal
    Content: Dear Allen,
    Thank you for being a loyal 24 Hour Fitness member. We're committed to providing you with the best possible fitness experience at a great value—with clean, friendly, well–maintained clubs.
    To ensure we're able to continue to offer you a comprehensive approach to health and fitness, it has become necessary to increase your annual renewal amount.
    With member benefits such as our health and fitness consultation*, group exercise classes**, a wide variety of strength, cardio and functional equipment and our free digital magazine, 24Life™, we will continue to deliver the best value for your membership.
    To review your latest membership billing statement, please visit us online at My24 or call 866.726.4497 to make payments. Please be sure to have your member number or 10-digit check-in code available. You can also update your contact information, view your club visits, and learn more about all that 24 Hour Fitness has to offer.
    Thanks again for your continued membership with 24 Hour Fitness.
    Your 24 Hour Fitness Team

• Ha
    hawkinshet Jul 07, 2015

I'm on the same boat with $49 to $99. I spoke to two Member Service reps this morning...Wil and Cecil. They pretty much don't give a crap about the increase. They actually bragged about how they get free membership. They know we will not be able to leave the club since it's still cheaper that what I can get at other clubs. We paid high down payments to assure us that we will have very low annual membership fees for the rest of our lives. If they increase our membership fees now, then there was no point in paying the high down payment. Is there a class action lawsuit for this? They don't want to make the facilities better for the members. They just want to increase profit. CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!!!

• Bo
    bonbon,555 Jul 06, 2015

I have been a member of 24 hour for about 7 years and my annual fee was $99 dollars i signed a contract and they said my fee was going to be that for life if I continued my membership throughout the years. I was happy only $99 a year great value...I went in to pay my annual fee and it stated I now have to pay $149 a year I called and they gave me the same crap about upkeep for equipment and pool and spa and everything else they provide. This S...s!! They already had replaced the equipment about a 1 1/2 years ago.. i think it has to do with the water consumption and the trainers fees. This really s...s ...I am undecided about rejoining .. if they keep increasing their membership fees it might be more lucrative to go somewhere else or even buy the memberships from Costco if the prices keep increasing...Society looks down on unhealthy people but how can we be healthy when it cost so much to work out...and eat healthy...this is ridiculous...

• Ru
    Ruvil30 Jul 06, 2015

Membership due increased without any notice. Checked my bank statement and 24hr Fitness increased my monthly bill of $20 to $30. Did not receive an email or letter mentioning the increase.

• Om
    omegalex Jun 25, 2015

I was surprised today to find out that my due increased from $49 to $99 after I prepaid $700 plus in 2006. I was a member since 2002. In the agreement it supposed to be $49 annually after 3 years. I am sure there something in the contract that allow them to increased the dues, however the location (Northridge, CA) I currently go to is filthy. Hopefully this $50 increase will go to improvement of equipment maintenance and keeping the gym cleaner. I will post results on yelp and google+ nightly.

• Un
    unfit Jun 23, 2015

Same issue here. Told renewal price of 49 dollars after I prepaid $700 plus, now telling me they are raising it to 149.00. I was there for them when they needed the cash flow. A total bait and switch scam.
    They say whatever it takes to get your money, then
    give you their sad story as to why they raised your fees. I feel totally cheated by 24 hour fitness.

• Mi
    Mikgirl Jun 22, 2015

I'm on the same boat. Signed up with the "pay 3yrs in advance ($600) and your dues will be $10/yr for the rest of your life " in early 2000 and now I got a letter saying they need to increase it to $240/yr. 100% increase? Seriously?
    And they want the due in July, when I just paid my membership in March!
    I want to know if anyone had success in stopping the increase?

• Ku
    kunkelba Jun 15, 2015

For the rate increase, I was told verbally in Dallas tx 50 for life, now increased like others. Cannot find orignal contract, does any body have a contract from the early 2000's where it stated that it can go up? Im told a private equity firm bought out the company and they are raising fees, to invest in clubs they see fit.

• As
    Asa McCoy May 31, 2015

I worked out at 24 hour nautilius then a membership at 24 hourfitness since the early 90s I feel like they don't appreciate the only reson there is a 24 hourfitness is because of us the loyal members why would a good company go up not 100% over night and when you purchase the membership you where told it would never go up... $49 up to $99 no notifications just a new bill amount and the club isn't going to get better I'm just going to have to pay more F-N BS

• 24
    24hrlame May 28, 2015

Been at the $49/year "For Life" annual rate and just received in mail notice that it is now going to $99/year. So they can "better serve" me -- with what? Constantly running down equipment, broken spa, dirty pool, crappy trainers...I wouldn't be as upset if the money wasn't just going straight to increase bottom line and fill pockets with cash.

• Ri
    richardchenca May 28, 2015

Another data point: my annual fee for all Sport increased this year from $49 to $99, as did my wife's.

• To
    Tony P nguyen May 26, 2015

my membership was $53 and it increased to $161? How in the world did they just increase over $100? Can i still call them and complaint since they said they only supposed to increase $100 for all club super sport account?

• Dc
    dc17 May 20, 2015

I also recently saw an increase except my dues went from 69 a year to 169... a $100 dollar increase? The representative I spoke with said it's a blanket increase of $50 for Sport users and $100 for Super Sport access...which I do NOT believe at all. I feel like this must be a ploy to increase users who have old agreements with very low renewal rates. I definitely agree about this - they have reserved that right in fine print but where does it end...they technically can increase my dues every year by an arbitrary amount?

Christine I May 20, 2015

24 Hour Fitness just increased my monthly dues by $3. They did not communicate the change in any way, shape or form. I've lived at the same address for 7 years. I called them and was informed that they reserve the right to increase dues from time to time. She said it was an increase for all members and mine is low. I've had more gym memberships than I can count in the last 25 years and I have never seen anything like this. No notification of a price increase and just automatically charging it to my credit card? That's a business practice that's likely to come back and haunt them. Their contract is not in my file. I only have a receipt for my initiation fees. I'm wondering if they ever gave me a contract. I'm sure it's somewhere in their fine print; however it doesn't absolve them of responsibility to notify members so they can decide if they want to pay it or not. Major thumbs down to 24 Hour Fitness for poor business practices. Their dues are fairly overpriced as it is. I'm likely to dump them soon because I don't care for this treatment and I don't need them. I have another membership somewhere else.

• Jd
    JD200008 May 06, 2015

If there is any mention in your contract about rate increases, then you are stuck. However, I know they have fine print saying they have the right to annual increases. If no one can produce a copy of the contract with your signature, then it is a he said, she said game likely with you losing. This is a large chain and they probably have iron clad agreements in each and every state/country drafted by state and national level attorneys. Best advice I can give is bite the bullet and continue to go. In the long run its probably not worth cancelling over a few dollars each month. Most gyms or large corporations can get away some disclaimer in their agreement saying something to the effect of: "we reserve to right to change the original contractual agreement in part or total with proper notice ... blah blah". If you are real upset it about, then I suggest you consult with an attorney who knows the laws of your state and whether lack of notice is sufficient support to warrant an increase given that you nor 24HF can produce a signed copy. Either way, your rights are governed by that contract you signed. One other thing to note is that the copy you signed must also contain certain language and font size for it to even be a legitimate contract in the eyes of the law. Check out your state health spa act laws for more guidance on that matter. Good luck.

• Ap
    applefoodie May 02, 2015

I had the exact same thing happen to me--my increase was absolutely ridiculous! My initial annual renewal amount was $49 for the first five renewal years, but starting this year, they increased it to $99! That's over a 100% increase! Outrageous.