Yard WorksYardworks electric lawn mower #[protected]

W

My lawn mower is only 4 years old. I have a small yard and am a senior so the mower isn't over used. The starter switch broke so I can't turn the mower on. My son opened up the switch assembly box to find that a "plastic" part had broken. I took it to a repair shop who told me it would cost more to replace the switch assembly than the mower was worth. I called the toll-free helpline and was told they only had 10 of those parts left. The part cost $15.00 plus another $15.00 for delivery. Then I would have to pay a flat fee labour cost of $60.00 + tax at a repair depot. I bought this lawn mower on sale for $100.00 so spending another $100.00 to replace the switch assembly, with the same plastic parts (which will break again) is not an option. I feel it was on sale because it was defective so Yardworks wanted to get rid of them. When I checked online for the part, all sites said that all parts were n/a. I will have to purchase another mower, but I guarantee I will never purchase a Yardworks product again. There is no place in my area that even repairs Yardworks . The toll free line gave me the name of a place that does repair them and when I called, I was told that they do not. So it seems that even Yardworks doesn't know who repairs their products. So I guess the phrase "buyer beware" applies here. Next time I will check out the reviews before making a purchase.

• Wo
    woofdog Jul 08, 2019

Just jump the switch. When you connect the extension cord, the machine will run. Unplug the extension cord and it will stop. Other then that you could install a generic on off switch. I have the same model since 2006. Still works great. Only one question. Where is that mulch plug?

• Wi
    Wilva MacKinnon Jul 15, 2019

@woofdog Thank you. My neighbour is an electrician and he put the generic switch on it for me and now it works like a charm. I have bought several garden things that are Yardworks and they all break or fall apart. Now I only buy Gardena and have no problems. Garden costs more, but it's quality and Yardworks isn't. I appreciate you're responding to my complaint. Your response was helpful.