Yankee Candleblack soot-ruined front room

Recently bought 2 medium Halloween candles from the Yankee candle website. Walked in the front room last night completely filled with smoke. Blew them out and opened the door to air. This morning, found the entire ceiling and Walls covered in soot, along with all the furniture. We have a large, rather expensive couch which now requires specialist cleaners with no guarantee this will work. We also need to repaint the entire room, as well as myself spending a full day cleaning one room, to my detriment as I am self employed. Thousands of pounds worth of damage over £30 candles. I will never buy from Yankee candles again. after some quick research on the Internet, I have found many complaints regarding this matter. Not worth the damage, time and cost. I have used many other candles and never had this problem. I have complained to Yankee Candles directly on their website and have had no response.

• Me
    Merriel Brewer Dec 31, 2015

I am in the process of cleaning up after my yankee candle, I was only having a bath and when I came back into my kitchen diner I couldn't believe my eyes, the room was full of smoke, the walls, ceilings, kitchen cabinets my sofas were covered in soot, it has taken 2 days to try and clean it all off with not much luck, my sofas have gone from light cream to a grubby ecru, I'm just hopeing that when I wash them them the colour will come back into the leather. I have had to hire someone to paint my newly built extension and hallway, stairs and landing at a cost of £500. There should be some sort of warning on these candles to say they can cause smoke, I have never had a problem in the past and I won't be buying them again.

Not happy yankee candle Feb 15, 2015

Same thing happened to me...funny I posted my friend posted on yankee candle facebook and the same guy that posted:
    "In the US people do stuff like that on purpose then call the insurance company, spend months putting together a loss list and bingp bango...you can afford a swanky remodel. You Brits need to learn that if it works there." hmmmm well Dean...it appears you HAVE heard of this happening. You pretty much said the same thing to me! Do you work for yankee candle doing damage control?? Face it ...IT HAPPENS!
    Just so others know this too happen to me! I had to move out of my house while the restoration people go in and clean my entire home...and it is a NEW home and I am not in need of remodeling nor did I do it on purpose!! I have right now over $25, 000.00 worth of damage. Tonight is my second night in a hotel and it will take up to 90 days to complete the work. It is all over my walls, furniture, windows, clothes, blinds...everywhere! Even in my refrigerator and microwave! It wasn't until my brother in law came for a visit and he pointed it out to me. My late husband was KIA and I take care of both my parents with dementia so there really isn't enough time in the day as it is to even notice the damage. But he did! Called my ins agent he sent out ins adjuster who called the fire and restoration experts and also another guy who is a expert they all took samples and pic and it was from SOOT!! I only burn Yankee candles! The comments on the facebook site are clearly employees and they refuse to research but I see Dean did and he knows this is a problem but yet on facebook he plays like he has never heard of it! WOW! So I feel your pain ladies/gents to the ones who had damage done to them by yankee candles...I too will NEVER buy another one and will spread the word because by the dates of these posts...yankee candle doesn't care! The still have not answered me back...and with the dates here...my insurance company will be elated to see how long this has been going on with no attempt to fix the situation!

• As
    ashey11111 May 01, 2013

Yes the same thing happened to me and the living room ceiling was covered in black like cobwebs. Walls and windows are black curtains are ruined as was carpet and suite. The only thing was that when I told some people they didn't believe me.!!! I only noticed this this next morning as my daughter was in the house with the lights off. I will never buy these products again, and I would strongly urge people to be wary of yankee candles.

• Bm
    bmatt98422 Feb 18, 2013

I am a PartyLite consultant and only because I was tired of many disappointments with my Yankee Candles! I love my PartyLite candles and NEVER have soot or destruction of my home and furnishings. You should definitely look us up online and find out why our candles really are the best! Did I mention our glolites are the brightest candles in the world? www.partylite.biz/duchessbrandie

• Ra
    RarelyComplain Nov 15, 2012

• De
    deannamcraig Oct 15, 2012

My daughter brought me a large Mandarin Cranberry candle. I just now lite and the flame on the candle was really high and the jar is now black.Yikes. Could catch the house on fire! [protected] is the number on the bottom. I have never had this happen with any Yankee candle!