WorldstridesBad service

WorldStrides is quite possibly the WORST company you could travel with. The trips are waaaay to expensive --- $2000+ for kids to see D.C.? Come on! Almost all the sites there are free! They're charging for "excellent service, " but if you've ever tried to call their Customer Service, you know that doesn't exist. The meals and hotels are mediocre; you're better off going with a cheaper company. Their service will probably also be mediocre, but at least you'll save $500+!! WorldStrides prides themselves on having no hidden fees, but just wait for all the monthly charges after you sign up! They charged me $6 a month so that I could give THEM my hard-earned money!! They claimed this was standard business practice -- yeah standard for sharks & credit card companies -- not standard for a supposedly student friendly organization. Miss one payment and they tack on an additional $15!! Times are already hard -- the last thing I need is to owe my kid's field trip company $26 a month on top of the already-too-high payments. My WorldStrides payments were higher than my car payments. No joke! I wanted to provide my child with a great experience on a class trip & it turned out to be a BURDEN... and the other parents agree. Our school will NOT be traveling with WorldStrides EVER again. That company is out for one thing and one thing only -- your money!! They don't care about the children or the education -- they care about getting inside your wallet and taking ALL they can get. They'll nickel and dime you to the very end & probably come back for more. DON'T TRAVEL WITH THEM.

• Da
    Dawney Sep 08, 2017

This company is all about the almighty dollar they aren't here to help the kids or anyone but themselves. So many hidden fees so many extra charges and if you have to cancel don't expect your money back they give you the run around and when you do get it the amount is a quarter of what you paid in. Call customer service about the large decrease in refund and was told there's nothing you can do that they had charges they had to pay out for paperwork and applying my payments the rep said "nothing you can do about it take it or leave it and just go on the trip" wow I had to cancel for reason with the insurance guess that's how they make so much money by ripping off clients nd laughing about it. I tried to get ahold of the headquarters of course no reply surprise surprise. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILDREN ON ANY TRIPS WITH THIS COMPANY OVER PRICED!!! Horrible horrible company

• Al
    Alto15 Mar 22, 2017

Yesterday we had a parents meeting at my dughter's scool about this worldstrides next planning trip to DC. Based on the teacher what he spoke there and said they are really amazing and student friendly company I did register my daughter today.
    First thing you see that If you don't pay attention to the agreement you are automatically going to be register at full refund ripping program, then you don't have any option to pay by credit cards but only debit card or a specific bank check. Then there are fees associated if you don't sign up for automatic payment etc.
    The worst part is if you contact their costumer representative. In first call lady there called me "maam" and I am a male and I speak in deep voice. Today I called them to ask for their FLAG program and they guy there hang up on me for no reason and never called back. I called them back and as it was advertised at invitation packet from school that if you are family that makes less than 85 000 annually maybe you can qualify and they said there is zero assistance, because this is only for people with less than 35 000 a year. Clear false advertising. Now I am concern about my daughter travelling with these crooks. I hope everything goes well

• Te
    TeacherParent Jun 18, 2016

I can attest to the fact that teachers DO get paid for these trips! I know teachers who have and I was told by a WorldStrides sales representative that they do (on top of getting their trip free) at a rate of $50 per paying traveller. This only means the PARENTS are paying a higher price. I also know that teachers who refer other teachers can get upwards of $1000 referral fees. Guess who is paying for that too? I guarantee that is not coming out of their bottom line. It is figured into the trip cost per student when quoted. I can see the positives of this type of travel (convenience, experience in the location) but in the end I am not comfortable signing my students/parents up for something that I cannot get any confirmation on. I have no idea who hotel or airline we would use, I have no idea about the time of departure or arrival and I do not like the idea that prices can change if fuel prices rise (sorry, but a quote is a quote). I am sure there have been many who have been very happy with this company (and others like it) or they wouldn't still be in business, but knowing what I know already based on my research and discussing at length details of the trip with a WS employee, it's not for our group.

• Co
    Corbin Bates Apr 15, 2016

I am, to say the least, baffled at the amount of negative reviews and how aggressive these reviews are. I have been taking my econ high school students on international trips each year for the last 6 years, and have not had one complaint. I had found many complaints on sites and review columns similar to here, and I was very skeptical initially. After connecting with them, my expectations for the process of building and preparing a program as well as the actual execution of the program itself exceeded my expectations! At first, I turned them down. Every few weeks I would get a call from a representative until I said "no" outright. They left me alone! I had an experience with another provider that was unpleasant, and went back to Worldstrides to try them. Don't trust me, or any of the other comments. Contact them and see for yourself!

As for all the repeated complaints, there are reasons for all these complaints. In my opinion, it all comes down to perspective and I have categorized them below based on my experience. Take them as you wish!

"Only teachers stick up for Worldstrides" - Well, teachers and professors are the ones who have to plan the program out. Logistics are NOT easy! Yes, Worldstrides is more expensive, but no other provider will tailor a program and provide you with an individual, genuine opportunity for less. In addition, and this is where my administration became interested, Worldstrides has the best insurance of any provider I've looked into. No one else has doctors on call, 24/hour emergency service, and $50million in coverage. When you pay for a new car, you expect it to run as such in exchange for the price. I WILL NOT be sending my students on a rust-bucket from the junk yard just because it's cheap. No amount of savings is worth the hassle or lack of ability to insure a quality program, especially when it comes to the students. Teacher stick up for Worldstrides because the process is efficient, safe, and reliable.

"don't listen to the good reviews, they pay teachers" - What? Either this remark was fabricated by Worldstrides competition or these individuals are desperate to turn people away form looking into Worldstrides. I have had colleagues who have asked Worldstrides to pay them and tried to get me to request the same, Worldstrides has refused.

"they are scammers/I can't get my refund back" - When you register to attend the trip and there us a section that SPECIFICALLY states that the price is going to be more expensive if not enough students register, don't be surprised when the words become actuality. That's something you should consider before registering. I have had trips do this, and the price was raised within a decent margin. Can't get a full refund? HA! When they have booked flights 9 months in advance and you try to pull your child/student out of the program 3 weeks before, you think you're going to get your money back? Let me ask you this, do you expect to receive the down payment on a new car back when you decide not to pay your monthly payments? (yes I like car analogies).

"their representatives wouldn't leave my alone/I couldn't get in touch with their VP or CEO" - This is business, people. They have representatives to generate new business, look into referrals, and distribute information to potential clients. It's extremely rare, you know just like every other business in capitalism, when they advertise and utilize marketing techniques. Tell them NO if you're not interested and I be they'll back off! They did for me. And I can't believe ANYONE would call in to a profession business and expect to VP or the CEO without a scheduled call or an appointment!!! There are administrative assistants and customer service representatives for a reason.

Anyhow, I am digressing. In summation, realize they're a business, realize their price reflects their quality and leadership in the industry, realize it's a financial commitment, and decide on your own what you think of them. I promise you won't be disappointed.

• Mi
    Michael Rob Apr 13, 2016

The prices are high so the program leaders/coordinators get to go for free. If enough people go they get to bring a chaperone for free, usually a teacher's family member Teachers using you to get free trips disguised as learning trips. They are technically employees of Worldstrides. ShamelessCheaper to book it yourself.

Read page 4 of their employee (program leader/coordinator) guide:
    [url]http://olr.worldstrides.net/PLResources/planning/docs/History-Science_2013-14_Policy_Handbook.pdf[/url]

• Li
    lina cervantes Apr 08, 2016

If you ever find the time to look at ALL the companies that offer World travel for students you will find complaints for each one of them! What strikes me is people complaining about the refund policy. People you need to read the conditions BEFORE you sign anything! If you had read properly you would see that they don't reimburse everything in case of cancellation ! Myself and my students had an excellent experience with Worldstrides 2 years ago.I would definitely use this company again. Yes they are mpore expansive than other companies but they offer better service !

• Rf
    R.Forss Mar 15, 2016

I find it more than a little alarming that the only people sticking up for Worldstrides are the teachers and trip leaders that more than likely don't pay the same if any rate, and don't get scammed by all the hidden fees from this company. Any time I have tried to deal with WS either over the phone or online. They have been anything but helpful, and mostly downright dishonest.

• Un
    unnerved2016 Feb 26, 2016

The complaints are not unfounded when it happens to multiple people. This just recently happened to me with Worldstrides. I complained to the BBB and we'll see if there's a resolution. I tried reaching a solution with customer service and the trip leader at my child's school and neither offered anything. What happened in my situation is that the school didn't have enough kids signed up by the deadline, so they rescheduled the trip for the next year. They did so without consulting the parents. My child isn't available to go, so I cancelled and asked for a refund, minus my deposit (although I think it would only be fair to refund that too since the SCHOOL rescheduled causing my child to not be able to go. They allegedly are sending me a refund minus the deposit, the price of the "full refund program" (ironic, huh?), and a $6 handling fee. Not sure where that came from. Not to mention, they promised my refund within 4-6 weeks and after 6 weeks passed, I had to send them two emails before they actually processed and sent it. I still haven't received it, but I'm sure the check's in the mail, right?

I'm glad some have had some good experiences with them, but I will never use them again, and I probably won't use any similar company as a result of this. I think we will just travel on our own from now on.

• Am
    Amy E Smith Jan 14, 2016

I have used World Strides for the past two years for DC trips and cannot say enough good things about their service. They were absolutely AMAZING to work with. They went above and beyond each trip to make sure they met the needs of my group. Our tour leader developed such a close relationship with my students that she even scheduled a visit to their high school when she was in the area! The security that they provided at the hotel provided peace of mind about the safety of the students while in my care. It also allowed my students that are from a very low income area to afford a trip to DC. I would be happy to answer any questions for anyone about this company. I would not hesitate to use them again and would put my highest recommendation on them.

• Dg
    D. Geyer Oct 23, 2015

My wife and I have been working with Casterbridge now World Strides for 13 years. We have organized and conducted tours throughout Europe. I read some of the above complaints and believe when it comes to customer service all it takes is one issue and suddenly a company becomes the worst company ever, they are horrible, etc. I am referencing my experiences as a tour manager who has worked with World Strides from the beginning of the tour til the end. While in Europe I have spoken with guides, drivers, chaperones, and customers throughout the industry. I can only tell you that World Strides is respected throughout the industry. I have looked at the cheaper quotes from other companies and the tours they offer. When I take students overseas I am not interested in a "cheap" tour I am looking for a safe and positive experience! I am sure there are many satisfied customers from other companies but in my experience and opinion I believe World Strides does an outstanding job regarding customer service, safety, and overall quality. Some of the tours we have taken students on, other companies would not even offer a quote because of the places we wanted to visit and the hotels we wanted to stay in. Remember all travel companies have their cookie cutter tours which uses the same locations, hotel, s and restaurants. Personally when taking a group of high school student I Do Not want to stay in a hotel that has other groups. I have witnessed this first hand. As a group leader I have no control over those other students and I have seen other groups that let their high school students drink and it is a mess in that hotel. World strides also guarantees individual customized tours, meaning you will not be booked with other groups from around the U.S. If I am going to give up my time away from my family and time in the summer I want to have the least stressful experience I can. World Strides tours may be more expensive but you have to look at their services. If you are looking for a budget tour then look at other companies but in the end you get what you pay for. Feel free to contact me at [email protected] if you have any questions. I am not here advertising for them but I will offer my personal experiences.

• Th
    thirstyphoenix Oct 05, 2015

Any positive reviews you may read on here about this company were more than likely written by a teacher, or by someone within Worldstrides management. There is NOTHING good about this company! As another commenter posted, the teachers that host these trips not only get to go for free, but receive $50 per student that goes. So keep that in mind when reading the glowing reviews.

• Es
    Esmeralda Navarro Sep 19, 2015

Hi everyone
    I went on a trip with worldstrides when I was in the 8th grade. I am now in college and I can say that THIS IS NOT A SCAM. Did I have trouble contacting customer service? Yes. Was it expensive. Yes. Was it worth it? YES. I had a great time in DC and NY. The days are long but I can assure you, your tweens can do it. I recommend this trip 100%. It is a lot of fun and the service World Stride offers to keep your kids safe is worth it.

• Me
    Megan Lexington Sep 18, 2015

Rae is this trip for the Polk Pre-Coll kids?

• Ra
    Rae Burgess Sep 10, 2015

I cannot comment on the content of their trips, but, financially, WorldStrides is a scam. I signed my daughter up for a trip, but financial circumstances prevented us from going forward after the initial payment of $200. Instead of a refund minus the administration fee, they demanded a second payment of $200 in order to refund the first payment. When they didn't get that, they refused to refund the first payment. I basically spent $200 for nothing. I would not have minded paying the administration fee, quoted as $45 - but $200 for nothing? I am a widow with two teenagers, one disabled, struggling to make ends meet, so $200 is a fair sum of money for me to pay out for no services rendered. I will certainly recommend to my children's schools and other parents to avoid this organization at all costs.

• Re
    ReallyFrustrated in CA Mar 14, 2015

We just were advised that we also have to pay an additional $100 for my son's trip to WA/PH/NYC as there are less than 35 students attending. My thoughts are that the airfare/food costs/itinerary did not change from the date that they pre-booked the travel/restaurants, etc. This is a company that is NOT in existence for the educational growth of our children, but simply for profit of themselves and the teachers (their trip is not only free, but they receive a kick-back as well). Research online can bring up numerous other companies that provide travel opportunities such as these, and are significantly better rated and cheaper!!!
    Per a comment posted online by one of their own travel reps, people can book their own trips at a lower price, and will probably get more value, educational and financial, out of it. I looked, and through your local community college, or via Groupon, or even through travel specials on travel websites, this is very true!!!

• Ka
    Karen A Butler Mar 13, 2015

My son and I are going on a tour to Italy with world strides this summer. When, I signed up, we were leaving from Oklahoma City then to Dallas. We were told we would wake up in Rome. Now, because only 12 people signed up, they said we have to either pay another $300 or drive to Dallas (a 3 hour drive and pay for parking for 10 days). The contract that I signed stated, "This proposal is valid until 27 September and this tour cannot be operated in its present format with fewer than 10 participants". We have 12 people going. It gets worse. So, now we not only have to get ourselves to Dallas and pay for parking, but they've completely changed our flight and itinerary. Now, we have to stop in England "on our way" to Rome. I haven't seen the itinerary so I don't know exactly how many hours this has added to our trip. What I do know is that the itinerary stated that we would land in Rome and we will take a day trip to Ostia Antica. Now, we aren't landing in Rome until 4:00 that afternoon and will not have time for the day trip. So, we have had one day in Italy taken away so that they could get cheaper flights with extra stops. We have 7 actual days in Italy, not 8 like the contract I signed says. I haven found all of this out from my own research. Nobody has ever offered this information to me. I feel like the people paying for the trip (not the teachers going free) should have some say in if they're ok with a huge schedule change in the trip. I did not pay $10, 000+ (my son and me) for a tour company to cheat me and then get us everything as cheap as possible so that they can make an extra penny. I am so angry with myself for not researching this company before I paid the money. I don't understand how I can sign a contract, pay the money they are asking and then they change the trip. It doesn't seem legal to me. Also, they are not offering any money back for the day trip that we no longer will be going on due to them getting cheap flights with several stops. I have checked flights. When you make an extra stop, it adds hours onto your travel. We leave Dallas at 6 PM and arrive in Rome at 4 PM the next day. Please, do your research before signing anything with this company.

• Re
    ReallyFrustrated in CA Jan 24, 2015

My son is to be attending one of the trips to WA/PA/NYC within the next 2 months. I just filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau for their lack of response to calls (to Corporate office, no less), emails, and faxes. Additionally, emails from Customer Service reps do not match the information from direct calls to their Customer Service Dept. They seem inept, irresponsible, AND unprofessional in total. This is causing me great concern about the impending trip. Surely they recognize that they force parents into the difficult position of paying their RANSOM to allow their child to attend with their peers, or disappointing their child by denying them this experience!!! What a hoax!!

• Nw
    NWW Oct 01, 2014

This may not solve all your problems but I recommend a company http://www.chinatravelandtour.com in case your school is organizing a trip to China. Customer service and destination knowledge is top notch! They really care about the students and parents, not just bribing the teachers.

• Wo
    WorldStrides Ripoff Jun 13, 2014

Horrible customer service from a poorly trained "Supervisor". I called back on October 2013 to cancel my child's trip to D.C. And she persuaded me to avoid cancellation. She advised me / removed my automatic payments from EZPay and I was told to call them back "when I was ready to make the payments again"... I was never ready so I never called back until yesterday when they were processing my "partial refund". I just spoke to the same poorly trained "Supervisor" to ask her why they were retaining over 400 dollars and she was so RUDE and UNPROFFESSIONAL while handling my case. She said I should have taken some actions before to avoid these penalties. However... I don't want to disclose some of the detailed arguments since I know (because I reviewed the refund policy) that they are NOT FOLLOWING what the refund policy states, So I will file a small claim case next week

• Hs
    HSE_mom Nov 19, 2013

This same company was contracted for my son's choir trip to King's Island. This is normally a 2 hour drive away and somehow this two day trip costs hundreds. Only two months into the payment plan for the trip that is still 5 months away, I had to cancel because of something unexpected coming up of more importance. I sent my written cancellation, but the cancellation fee is conveniently the same amount as the total of the payment installments made thus far. So we have essentially paid $100 for nothing. Upon telling them my opinion of it being unethical they not only reply with my signed permission slip, but copied the school teachers on the email. I don't see the reason they had to drag teachers into the discussion. Definitely will not allow my children to attend any trips organized by these vultures.

• At
    Athur Vandelay Aug 23, 2013

what te

• Pi
    Pilar H Jun 27, 2013

The trip was fine. just that they promised us with zip-lining at Puerto Rico, which we already signed up and paid for, and they cancelled it during the trip, without our prior knowledge. It has been 17 days since the end of the trip, but we still haven't gotten both me and my daughter's fee back ( $190 dollars)

Anynonymous Jun 01, 2013

Has anyone else noticed that the positive reviews all have the same signature? They list the person's full name, then where they are from. Seem fishy to anyone else? Plus, there's a row of good reviews, and then not many more...

• Di
    disgruntedemployee Jun 19, 2012

As a World Strides employee, let me say that I completely agree with those here who are lambasting the company for it's ridiculously high prices. Parents and teachers, c'mon, the stuff that we provide for you YOU CAN DO YOURSELF!!! paying all that money is for one thing only, convenience. and it is a rip off.
    the convenience isn't worth it and thats a fact.
    Sure, World Strides does provide a pretty comprehensive package for trips, having all the bases covered from touch down to take off, but having met hundreds of Teachers and Parents over the years, let me say this, you dont really need us-- you can do what we do yourself, and on a budge. Try it, you might like it.
    Again, as an employee, Ive experienced first hand how this company has down hill. I see how they stiff their workers and over charge their customers again and again. Potential customers, ill leave you with this-- dont be fooled that you have to have the service World Strides provides. Have confidence in yourself, do it yourself, dont be beguiled by this greedy company.

• Vi
    VikkiB Jun 18, 2012

My son is just about to leave for his trip to Washington DC and so far I have not been impressed with WorldStrides. The trip was sold to us as a 6 day tour but now they are doing the same amount of activities in 4.5 days! They are flying on the red eye from our hometown in California to Boston and then to Washington DC (presumably using the red eye so as not to have to use the money for hotels!). They get off the plane and immediately start the tour. The days are long - ON the bus by 6:30am and back to the hotel around 11:30pm, I don't know how they think these kids will be able to function well enough to complete all the assignments. This trip is for college credit with UVa - one credit is included in the price if the kids do the work. I have received several invoices from UVa billing me for the course that is included in the price! Initially, when I called WorldStrides (it's very difficult to actually get to speak with someone), they said that it had nothing to do with them but it was obvious that the gal I spoke with didn't have a clue what she was talking about and eventually I asked to speak with her supervisor. She acknowledged that there had been a 'glitch' and promised to sort it out. Since then, I have received yet another invoice from UVa. Despite being repeatedly told that the instructor would contact my son to make sure he was on target with all the course work, we really haven't received anything unless I hound them. Further, I receive general info that my friend does not and vice versa - between us I think we have it all, but who knows! I am hoping that the lack of organization prior to the trip is not a reflection of what actually happens on the trip but I will post more on his return.

• Lc
    lchapa Jun 03, 2012

My son will be leaving this Tuesday for his trip to Washington. I will post how his trip went based on his words. I just hope the best for him since he is only 11 and I am unable to attend. I chose to allow him to go thru another teacher who has used them for a few trips and made me believe that my son was going to enjoy this. She has experienced nothing but positive, professionalism from World Strides and has had amazing trips. Anytime that i have called with questions regarding my account they have been easy to talk to and answered all my concerns. I know that my son will be having a great time, missing his family, and I'm not going to no worry because he has an awesome program leader that will not take crap from anyone.

• Li
    Lifeisgood67 Mar 30, 2012

My 8th grade son just returned from a World Strides trip to D.C. Overall had a good time. His only complaint was that it was a little awkward sharing a double bed with another 14 year old classmate. How did I miss this?!!! If that had been clearly communicated, I would have paid extra to get him his own bed. I just got off the phone with WS customer service and she made me feel stupid -- of course he would be sharing a bed if there are 4 kids to a room. I guess I just didn't think about the room configuaration...shame on me. I hope this helps someone else.

• Ph
    PhoenixAZ Jan 10, 2012

WorldStrides is a joke, CLASSLESS!! Typical ORG that uses the non profit to suck more money out of people. I tried to donate for my nieces trip to Washington. I tried contributing online. I added my bank information and paid the 250 I was intending to go towards her trip. A week later they inform me that my account was NSF. This was not possible. So they did an investigation and found that my account number was not correct, 7 more digits were added to the account number. They said I entered all this incorrectly. Now they want to charge me 35.00 plus multiple late charges. All the teachers that chimed in and said how great this company is is nothing more than Worldstride employees acting as if they are teachers and giving some positive review. You've been warned. If your reading this right now, they must have gotten you. SCAM WORLDSTRIDE.org!

• In
    INEXCUSABLE Nov 30, 2011

PLEASE Check on who your Course Leader will be and any information that you can recieve on them!! I will be trying to get ahold of the company to report the course leader that had FULL access to the 10 and 11 year old children throughout the trip. I came along on the trip seperately and I was OVERWHELMED when I saw this man inappropriately playing with the boys.

• Lo
    lovenhappiness Nov 18, 2011

I am so glad that I came across this website before I signed my daughter up for a DC trip. I read all positive and negative reviews and were grateful for both. And I will be passing this website on to other parents. The positive reviews sound too good to be true...too perfect..kind of like World-strides posted them or had their people post them. The negative reviews sound very realistic. I didn't see any one post a review who had a major issue and the company actually solved it. The trip is very costly, but when it comes to my most prized possession in this world...its not the money I am worried about. I am concerned about the welfare of my child when sending her from CA to DC. It would be better if the company gave more info up front as to what hotel the children will be staying in, flight info and other important details vs. basic info to make the trip sound sooo perfect and 100% guaranteed. There are fees that the people forgot to mention, the payment plan is basically $500 a month (whoa). I still haven't decided if I will be sending my child or not..definitely have to do more research. Oh and to the person/company who commented on people posting negative comments on World-strides.. If people want to share THEIR experience with the company/trip then they have every right to!! Especially to inform other parents of their experience. Any reputable company should not have a problem with that. They should take and use that information to improve any issues they might have in the future.

roger mithers Nov 10, 2011

I am always very wary of a company that ALWAYS changes its name every few years. From Lakeland Tours to Worldstrides to Accent to Capstone. What exactly are they hiding???

roger mithers Nov 10, 2011

BEWARE WHEN A COMPANY CHANGES ITS NAME REGULARLY!!! LAKELAND TOURS to
    WORLDSTRIDES to CAPSTONE...What are they RUNNING from????

• Wo
    WorldStrides is awful Jun 14, 2011

Wow!! I only wish I would have found this webpage prior to paying thousands of dollars to WorldStrides. It is a shame that so many parents, teachers, and students have been taken advantage of by WorldStrides. I have had a horrible experience with this company as well. They play nice as long as you are sending in your money, but after the trip is paid for the real problems start and unless you purchased the ridiculous insurance package you are screwed. My child has not left for the trip, the trip is paid for and the company is still nickel and diming me. I am terrified that the problems will only get worse on the trip. It was a real stretch for me to afford this trip for my child only to have the company keep charging me after all payments were made. Save yourself the stress and don't send thousands of dollars to WorldStrides. Heed the warnings of "A VERY concerned parent."

• Ti
    Tim Cobb May 17, 2011

@ Justnow22 Please remember, these complaints are not an indictment of the experience you will have when visiting our capitol. They are specifically directed at a tour company that some teachers choose to use. I remember how much my perspectives changed, as a citizen, the first time I watched members of congress debate a bill on the floor. I really felt like a part of something great and I feel I'm a better citizen from experiencing, firsthand, our government in action. Go, you will be a better citizen of our great country because of it.

@ tlresh The "insurance trick" is classic, isn't it? When you look at where they hide the opt-out for the overpriced insurance it is obvious that it is designed to be overlooked. Classy.

• Ws
    WS Sux May 14, 2011

They are a terrible company and most parents don't even know the half of it. The teachers who are sponsoring the trip are getting paid a bonus for each kid that signs up, sometimes over $100 oer kid. They get free trips, prizes. It is basically bribing the teachers to take the kids on a trip, and the extra bonus is built into the price of the trip. If you are a parent considering this trip, ask the teachers about their bonus. It is never talked about but happens on almost every trip.

CHARRINGTON2011 May 06, 2011

This has been a strange experience. My child is now on the trip, and can't call me or text me until very late. She can also get in trouble for not going to bed when they get in their hotel rooms. There is no commmunication from the adults. There is no contact information to reach an adult. My child has been sick and could not get anyone to buy her or take her to buy cold medicine or cough syrup. The children are charged money if they are late and my child does not have enough money to eat. This is child neglect and abuse. I called world strides demanding they give my child her money back that the adults have been charging her and they would not give me the contact numbers of the tour guides. I'm very concerned about my child's well being and safety.

• Rf
    rfree Dec 18, 2010

We went with WorldStrides for years before finding www.schooltoursofamerica.com. Its a company made up of former, honest Worldstrides people who were just as fed up and I cant begin to tell you how positive the experience has been. a million times better in every way. night and day.

• Tl
    tlresh Dec 09, 2010

I set up an account online for my daughter, who is over 18, to travel with her younger sister. Though my duaghter is the traveler, the account is mine. I created it and have made all payments thus far.
    World Strides automatically added cancellation insurance to my bill. I DID NOT request this! When I contacted them asking that this charge be removed, they refused to do it for me. Because my daughter who is traveling is over 18, their online registration system had made her responsible for the account. I explained that this is not how I entended the account to be set up, and that she was not the one responsible for payments on the account. I am paying. If their online system set up the account this way, then we need to correct that, please. Not only did the man who claimed to be the supervisor not budge on wanting to help me, he was really cold, rude, and seemed completely unconcerned about my situtation, and furthermore could really not care less whether or not I purchased two trips from his company or not! He made me quite upset.
    If my daughters were not already so excited about this trip, I would cancel both of them right now. I intend on writing a formal complaint letter to the company.

• Ju
    justnow22 Dec 07, 2010

im want to go on this trip to DC im 14 but after reading theese comments im not sure

Roger Smithers Oct 18, 2010

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: January 28, 2005

Schumer: Virginia Travel Agent Swindled Multiple Li Schools On Trips To D.C. For Inauguration - Senator Asks U.S. Atty For Probe

Long Island high school students worked months to pay for trip to Inaugural, only to be kept out until event was over Same Virginia travel agent sold misleading tour packages to two schools - countless unknown other schools across region may also have fallen prey Students, teachers and parents from both schools joined Schumer today to seek federal investigations by US Attorney and Federal Trade

US Senator Charles E. Schumer today asked the US Attorney for the Eastern District of New York and the Federal Trade Commission to investigate the Virginia-based travel agent WorldStridesTM after he received multiple complaints from high schools in Nassau and Suffolk County that the company charged students for trips to Washington to experience the Inauguration last week, but did not make provisions to obtain the tickets necessary to actually attend the inauguration.

“From out east in Lindenhurst to here in Hicksville, we’re together today to say one thing - if you promise to ‘enrich students’ lives, ’ you better not be just enriching yourself, ” Schumer said. “If an out-of-state company is going to try to rip off students in Nassau and Suffolk, they’re going to learn fast we won’t hesitate one minute in applying federal law to stop them.”

On Inauguration Day, Schumer personally encountered a group of students from Holy Trinity Diocesan High School in Hicksville on the National Mall. The 48 students were just then getting through security, more than an hour and a half after the start of the Inauguration and long after it was over. After the students told Schumer their story, he was able to work with the White House and arrange a consolation prize of sorts - a White House tour. Unfortunately, the Holy Trinity students could not take the tour because they had to return to New York in advance of last weekend's blizzard.

Schumer then became suspicious of a pattern of problems when he learned of a similar story this week from Lindenhurst High students. Yesterday Schumer's Long Island office received a call from the Advanced Placement US History teacher at Lindenhurst High School in Suffolk County. He reported that his 38 students had raised money for almost a year to help offset the $800-per-student price tag on a "once in a lifetime" trip to Washington to “witness the Inauguration and to hear the Inaugural Address.” On Inauguration day, they arrived early to get through the security checkpoint. Two and a half hours later, the students cleared security but were then told by security that they could not enter the National Mall without tickets. Their tour guide did not have any answers, and merely brought the students to stand outside the Canadian Embassy where they neither witnessed the Inauguration, nor heard the Presidential Address. The company has thus far refused the school's request for a partial refund.

Schumer’s office quickly investigated and found the same Virginia travel agent sold misleading tour packages to both schools. WorldStridesTM promotional materials say the company is devoted to "Enriching Students' Lives" by extending education into the worldwide classroom and providing the best opportunity for learning through seeing, experiencing, and interacting. They also call themselves “A Company You Can Trust” and the “largest and most trusted educational student travel company in the country.” (http://www.worldstride.com/mission/default.asp)

Schumer yesterday referred the case to the US Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, Roslynn Mauskopf and to the Chair of the Federal Trade Commission, Deborah Platt Majoras. Because this Virginia company appears to have wronged students in New York, this interstate matter falls under the jurisdiction of both authorities. A copies of Schumer’s letters are attached.

“I was shocked to hear the same company was involved with the Hicksville and Lindenhurst cases...We do not yet know how many other schools were similarly treated by this company, but I expect we will hear of more cases in the coming days, ” Schumer wrote to Mauskopf and Majoras.

Schumer was joined by students, parents, and teachers from both Holy Trinity High School in Hicksville and Lindenhurst High School at Holy Trinity.

Schumer also urged any other schools or students affected by this situation to contact his Long Island office at [protected].