[Resolved] WhyNotLeaseItwhy not lease it scam

P Review updated:

I purchased some items back in March 2017 total in 1003 dollars I made all my payments and when it past 6 months I was told that it would pay itself off after the payments in 9month period when I called to check on the amount of payments the rep said that I had paid $920 on the merchandise cost but that was not applied to the buyout option so when I asked where was the payment going to the rep said only toward the least amount and to buy out I owe 545 if I pay cash he said he would spread out over six weeks payment so in other words they decieved customers about the payout program never once said that they will be additional cost to buy the items after you have already paid for the merchandise items through lease program a big scam Sears and Kmart should be ashamed of themselves with things like this people should file a class action lawsuit this is horrible and ridiculous I will return everything and they can have it I will make sure to have all 11 of my co-workers cancel out their account because I am pretty sure they are not aware of this scam.

• WhyNotLeaseIt's response · Aug 08, 2017

Dear Ms. Priscilla,

I am extremely sorry to hear of your frustration. All of our marketing materials, Terms and Conditions and our lease agreement clearly lay out our program requirements. As a part of our policy, a copy of the lease agreement is provided at lease commencement and is available to the customer in their online account.

Our Lease program is not a finance or lease to own program. Rather, TEMPOE purchases the merchandise on the customer’s behalf and leases the property to the customer for a required minimum term. Upon completion of the minimum lease term, customers have the flexibility of three options: (1) continue to lease on period-by-period basis by retaining possession of the property, in which case additional periodic payment(s) must be made in the same frequency and amount as during the initial term; (2) terminate the agreement by returning the property to us in good condition, fair wear and tear expected; or (3) call us to arrange a purchase of the leased item.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly at [email protected] and we can discuss your account with us. I hope to hear from you soon!

Thank you!

• Resolution Statement

• Th
    Thomas J. Brown, Jr Aug 16, 2017

Hello Priscilla, I have had a similar issue for quite some time with Whynotleaseit. I had know idea that you contact the company following that initial 5 month period beyond the lease to identify your options. As opposed to the lease payments continuing to be debited from your bank account. Also, this lease agreement should have been paid for some time ago for me. If you are interested as well as any others in filing a class action lawsuit with a consumer attorney I would certainly want to be part of that. My name is Tom B. and my email address is: [email protected] Please let me know if you are interested. Thank you.

• La
    Layla1123 Mar 03, 2018

@Thomas J. Brown, Jr I too am a why not lease it customer that is intetested in a class action suit if there ever is one. Email: [email protected] my purchase was a dishwasher & payments are continuing to be taken out after my lease date was over. This month they took out 3x & all transactions went up each time.

• Ms
    Ms. Mmb Nov 09, 2018

@Layla1123 Interested as well in class action suit was scammed by why not lease it and sears too! Please email [email protected]

• Ju
    just meeeeee Jan 19, 2019

@Thomas J. Brown, Jr I am also a customer interested in a class action suit

• St
    Stateside Donkey Sep 27, 2019

@Thomas J. Brown, Jr My mother and I are interested as well. She paid hers off, then a different company that was not "Why Not Lease It" called her and they told her there was no payoff option, it was lease only, or return the items, even though she had already set up her account as "Lease To Own".

• Mi
    Micheal Pollard Oct 24, 2017

Stupid stupid me, i could have went to walmart for 55 in T.V. for 600 dollars, instead sears why not lease it rippe me off for over $1200 dollars, i have rented in the past from Aaron's. they are a reputable company after so many months you pay off your item, they have clear contract, i want to get in on the class action suit.

• Np

• Sb
    sbartko73 Jan 27, 2018

Whynotleaseit scam!

John crammer jr Apr 21, 2018

I got a 500 dollar air conditioner a year and a half ago they take there payments out of my account I’ve done paid 1, 000 dollars and still paying I also got a stove 400 dollars I’ve done paid 600 and still paying u never pay off u constantly lease forever the lady explained u never own I just called today the lady told me I can buy out the air conditioner for an additional 400 dollars ? God dang and buy out the stove for and additional 300 dollars ? I will never do business with these people again never ever ever ever I’m done I called my credit card people and put a stop on them taking my money I’m currently in the class action suit against them they owe me money don’t let these people lie to you they will do and say anything to get out of this mess .

• Sh
    shbeckham May 21, 2018

@John crammer jr If you are in a current lawsuit, please provide information on how others can join in your suit.
    Or email me at:

• Ub
    Uber joker Aug 08, 2019

@John crammer jr I am also interested in this lawsuit i have no clue how they got on my credit report and they refuse to say anything except i owe them money 2 different amounts but same account number.

• Bl
    blondie33160 Jul 21, 2018

I too have an issue with Why Not Lease It. My bill was paid in full on my TV and my washer/dryer as per the rep I talked to last year. Now I have $1034 listed in collections from TEMPOE LLC. No luck reaching Why Not Lease It and no notice from them that I owed anything more and my address nor email address has changed. Phone number was changed but nothing else. I want this off my credit. What do I do?

• Ap
    AprilDowden Sep 20, 2018

I am going to file a class action lawsuit. This company has gotten almost three times the value of our purchase from us and had the nerve to say we still owed them! I asked where all of our money went. I was told toward the lease with a small fraction toward the purchase. Problem, we have paid 1 year and 5 months, almost triple the price. We never received a letter or anything from them stating my lease would continue for the rest of my life! I was informed by the sales rep at sears when we purchased our equipment that this is the way to finance theough sears and at the end of the lease it is paid in full! Total lie! On the phone with the company today, the rep said no it doesnt work that way and was only interested in telling me her terms over amd over! When i told her we wanteded a refund for them charging us yet again 17 months later a double payment today, they were unwilling to refund our money. In short they have the worst customer service ever, the worst business practices and told me as a courtesy they can just close the account after ripping us off for almost three times the value of our equipment. If I hadnt gottent concerned about the double payment today amd called, I guess I would have paid for the rest of my life. They said thank uou for being a valued customer!!! What!!! They have no value for their customers! They are only interested in ripping people off! We are filing suit!

• Mi
    Mimin Oct 29, 2018

@AprilDowden April Dowden- I am interested in joining you with this lawsuit. Please reach out to me @ [email protected] Hopefully we can all come together and take this company down! Thank you.

• Hb
    HBQueen Feb 14, 2019

@Mimin Same exact thing happened to me! I was just on phone w them about checking if my balance was paid in full like was said on the paperwork and they want an extra $200, than its $279 and than he says well reduce it to $179 when my balance is been payed already actually over paid. Looked on line as into filing a complaint while was on phone w them and came across these and many others. Told them be looking looking into getting a lawyer this company is a fraud scam and just lied and took my $ and changed the amount and story. I already filed a complaint w Better Business Bearua

• Ct
    CTJargon Nov 02, 2018

I have had the same experience, with Why Not Lease It. The Sears rep told me it was a (specifically) "lease-to-own" and said that once my initial lease terms were up I could pay the lump sum, or continue my payments, as usual, until the lump sum is paid off.

Why Not Lease It tells me that I now owe $605, in order to purchase the mower. Actually, three different agents told me three different amounts, ranging from $605; $759 and $1, 090 (I have this all on phone recordings).

I've already paid $1, 990 for a $1, 200+ mower...and they want me to pay MORE! Fool me once, shame on me...there won't be another time.

I told them to just pick the thing up.

****I'm interested in joining in on a class action suit, if possible.****

• Ri
    Rich67 Nov 13, 2018

Please include me in the lawsuit if one comes. [email protected]

• El
    ELP78 Nov 17, 2018

Please share info of how or who to contact to sue this company . [email protected]

• Bb
    bbonaparte007 Dec 09, 2018

How do I get into the class action suit against these people?

• Sh
    shary reichert Dec 28, 2018

I bought a washer 6 months ago. I have been making $84 payment every 2 weeks. I paid over 840 for this item. They want another 640 dollars to buy it out. The sales agent said I was leasing to buy, kind of like 'layaway'. They have been trying to take money out of my account everyday. The store I got it from is going out of business. No one can pick it up. I should have to pay $1400+ for a washer that is only $500.

Please include me in your class action lawsuit

• Ri
    Richard-Danessa Scranton Jan 08, 2019

It's not a scam if you know how to read but instead all you people are bitching because you are to lazy to read to funny. By the way we have used them about 10 times now without a single problem dont feel bad for people who think they shouldn't have to read a contract.

• Fe
    FedUpInFlorida Jan 29, 2019

I signed up to lease a front load washer on 1-20-2019. I paid the required down payment the same day. Once I read the terms of the lease, I determined it was a RIP off. I immediately contacted the company to cancel. I spoke to a Why Not Lease It customer service representative that stated I also had to cancel the order with Sears. Also to be sure to receive a cancellation sales check number, and provide him that number when I call back. He then provided me the phone number to Sears. I called Sears and canceled the order with them as well. I was told it could take up to 72 hours to process. However Sears actually canceled the order the same day of my call. Sears also emailed me to inform me of the cancellation. When I called Why Not Lease It back to give him the cancellation check number I was issued by Sears, he stated I also needed the original check number. He never once mentioned that during our original conversation. It was then that I got nervous. He assured me that once I provided him with the original sales check number that it would be 3 to 5 days to receive a refund. As of the sixth day and no refund I called them back, only to be told there was nothing in their system regarding me requesting a return. So I had to provide the details of my order again. The representative then stated casually that I wasn't given a refund because the refund department informed customer service that since they did not have my original sales check number they could not process my refund. I asked did anyone contact me regarding that, and was told NO. Once I provided the original sales check number and my personal information AGAIN the representative stated my refund would be in my account by the close of the business day. Well of course it wasn't. So I called again this morning to be told the refund will post to my account in 24 hours. I stated to them that it had been 24 hours. That representative stated "Oh I thought it was still Monday, but today is Tuesday. So it has been 24 hours; however you shouldn't worry because the money should post today." Of course it hasn't. I called back, and each time you contact them you have to provide all of this information over and over again. Now I've been told from this representative that "she should have never said by the close of the business day yesterday, he should not have told me 24 hours, and that they both should have said 24 to 48 hours instead". Really folks...really! Well needless to say I should have done my homework that way I would have been well aware of the numerous complaints regarding this company. Need I say that Sears did not hesitate to refund Why Not Lease Me their "money" paid to them. So what is the hold up from Why Not Lease It to pay me back my down payment money. It's not a million dollars, but it's my dollars. I want my money back! It's been almost 10 days already, not to mention I NEVER TOOK POSSESSION OF ANY ITEM FROM SEARS OR WHY NOT LEASE IT! WARNING...STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

sarabnva Apr 10, 2019

I have now WAY over paid on my account! I have written Tempoe Leasing, I have sent messages through their web site message center, I have sent regular mailed letter, I have now even faxed them. THEY OWE ME money and yet they are STILL attempting to take money out of my bank account - now showing payment reversals as I had to cancel the bank account they were attacking! They owe me and refusing to do so. I don't know what else to do but find an attorney at this point. The MOST expensive washer and dryer I have seen.

• Th
    Theydiditagain May 20, 2019

I cancelled my order at sears 12 hrs after it was placed...and then contacted Tempoe repeatedly, even sent cancellation to them. 30 days later they are still charging me. I never got the merchandise how is it legal that they can still choke when sears shows they credited Tempoe the entire sales amount??

• Li
    linda havier Dec 03, 2019

I like this company, but u do have to read the contracts. if u pay within the 90 days ur fine. i do remember one incident when i called to changed my payment date which they did. but they withdrew from my account on the prior dew date, but just called them and they refunded my account same day. It helps when you need an appliance and don't have the money to pay for it at that moment and u have this option.

thank you tempoe.