Whelan SecurityWhelan Security

Q

One of the worse security companies to work for. False promises, no accountability, horrible leadership from the Austin. I will try to keep it short, it's a mikey mouse operation with the blind trying to lead. Payroll is all screwed up. Since when does it take a month to pay someone? Since when do they not withhold taxes for you. Since when do they overdraw more money than they quoted you.

You have to pay out of pocket for your licence (you'll never get it). You have to pay out of your pocket for the uniform (they wont give you a complete set). You have to chase down the Operations Manager (lopez) for weeks before he calls you back for replies to your email. Don't waste your time.

Chrissy smiley Nov 25, 2019

I am emailing you because I did not get pay for a event I work in October and been trying to get a hold of someone in the office about this for a while now. I just wanted to get pay for what I worked.

• Ro
    Rollo4566 Aug 20, 2018

Employees are rude and very unprofessional. Supervisors are no different and seems to promote homophobic in the workplace environment. Seem more like high school then a job.

Mary 123 Sep 16, 2017

I work at Kansas City Missouri with Whelan and I love my job I love the company they explained in the beginning the procedures and what I need it to do and what I needed to have and I accepted that and if you accept that you shouldn't have no complaint

• St
    stai81 Feb 12, 2016

Just be lucky youre not in Houston. Our new GM, Mr. King really thinks he is a KING!

Que Importa Nov 02, 2014

Lmfao, good one ACC!! Go ahead and post HIS PHONE# for future complaints (I'm sure there would be more).

Secondly, who the heck posts to a compliant that is over a year old???

• Wh
    whelan acc Nov 02, 2014

maybe you should speak with mr.whelan THE OWNER OF WHELAN SECURITY he lives in st.louis you know just f.y.i

• Am
    amybey Dec 03, 2013

Whelan Security Company is one of the worst companies. These are my reasons: 1. They are highly unorganized. 2. They will underpay you. If your relief chronically comes in late (but not 15 minutes late) you can be out 2 hours and 15 minutes of pay a pay period. They do not recognize this time because a person is not officially late until 15 minutes after the hour. 3. Bad officers get away with EVERYTHING while good officers get in trouble for every tiny thing. This has been consistent at every post I have worked. 4. The people at the main office do not care one iota about their guards. They do not care to replace terminated employees right away (or even months down the line). This means that the officers that are working said post have to work OT OR that they cannot call in sick because there are too few people working the post. 5. They do not even know who their supervisors are. There have been a number of incidences where I have been called to discuss another guard when I haven't even met the guard. 6. They will pass along idiot guards from post to post expecting different results. These are people that give all whelan guards a bad impression. 7. The guards are underpaid and are offered bad "benefits". The health insurance is a sub par bare bones policy. They will try to convince you that it is great. 8. They do not stand by their guards when the ### hits the fan. They have stabbed 10-15 year veteran officers in the back over small mistakes. It is shameful. If a person works for the company for years without incident, then they should be given a break. 9. The people that work at the office do not actually work. They take multi hour lunch breaks (getting paid a lot more than any of their guards that DO NOT get lunch breaks). 10. The people at the office take down to their guards as if they are stupid. On a number of occasions I have been called names by them for no reason. The worst of all is TODD. He is an arrogant fool who treats everyone (even if they have more education, wits, and experience than he does) like c***. No one likes him, but for some reason (family) he gets to remain at the office. There are a lot more reasons, but I have a life.

Que Importa May 25, 2011

lol...his a business wants to make a profit, but a GREAT business wants to also take care of it's internal and external customers. Whelan seems only interested in it's clients and the bottom line. There are no company picnics, holiday parties, bonus pay to frontline individuals, etc. If you indeed make $47k w/o being in management, good for you. I doubt they pay a frontline S/O over $20+/ per hour. I hope your investing into your 401k or IRA. That type of gross pay is decent w/o any special designations, degrees, and not being managment. Whelan was a second job, while I paid down debt. It paid minimally, but it was better to sit on your hands than flipping burgers. I hope the friends I made there find better jobs and not waste years of service to a company that isn't worth it. If you need a job to get by apply, but Whelan is not a career builder. Anything is better than being unemployed...

captain rc May 24, 2011

I undersatnd all that, every company is all about the money Yes I only made $ 47, 000.00 with them last year, but with only a high school education I can't get a higher paying job, and that's my fault, not Whelans. I do wish you the best and hope things get better for you.

Que Importa May 24, 2011

Your right, I can't say it's the worst. It isn't the premiere company that it claims to be. The company is as strong as the weakest link. According to their recent survey, more people voted that they were "disengaged" than "engaged." I talked to my supervisor, he said he would handle my request initially but didn't. It wasn't until I posted the complaint that almost everything was taken care of. The issues that I posted were not just of my own btw. This a company that only cares about profits and losses. They don't develope employees as they say they want to. The benefits are not that great, but at least it's something they offer you. I hope you're not in it for the career. It's a decent job for not doing anything technical or physical. It is ideal for college students or people in transition looking for something better. Four years is a lot to waste on this co. You would have earned more serving in the military for that amount of time. I was grateful for a job, and worked with nice people at the site. Other than that, I could care less for a company that showed me the same. Remember RC, it's all about P&L with them. You're just another minon, helping someone else get the bonus check. Enjoy your no PTO, small pay, slap in the face "vacation pay", and no matching 401k. All area's might not be as weak as mine was, but someone had to say it. Attitude reflects leadership. Take it for what it is. Make sure your area doesnt have the same issues. I wish certain people the best, but I don't care for the co.

Que Importa May 24, 2011

You're right RC, it is your opinon. One area is weaker than others. A company is only as strong as it's weakest link. The chain isn't that strong aroung the "whole" company. They gave the statistic that more employees are "disengaged" than "engaged." I've already left the company. It was a decent job depending on your job skills. I hope you move on to greener pastures if you can. The benefits aren't that great and the pay isn't either. Be grateful that you had good management at your location. I didnt get a call from mine until I posted the original. Some of my complaints were my own others were from teamates. I spoke up for them an all else. Whelan is as premiere as it claimed to be. When someone let me down, I saw it as them, but more importantly it was WHELAN that did. I did sterotype. I stand by what I originally said. I named the area that had an issue.

You can take what I said with a grain of salt, or see it as a leasson learned and make sure your area doesn't have the same issues.

captain rc May 24, 2011

I work in the field, and I knew the rules and proceedures from the begining, I accepted the rules when I accepted the job, If I don't like the way things are I leave. You may have had all these problems where you are located, I haven't seen that problem in this area, you can't sum up the whole company as the worst, just based on your local experience with Whelan, you have your opinion and I have mine. The uniforms are a one time fee at my location and then replaced as needed for free. I have never had a payroll problem in four years, I am able to contact my Supervisor any time. I just mean you can't say the whole company is the worst, because of your experience this is a very large company with many locations.

Que Importa May 24, 2011

"rc" must be management like "whatever"...way to stand up for your "great co."

captain rc May 24, 2011

I have worked for Whelan four years now and they are a great company.

Que Importa Apr 11, 2011

Leasson for all to learn (mutual understanding): Talked to management. All is well. Would erase initial, but not allowed...

• Ms
    Ms What ever Apr 11, 2011

this person sounds like someone who thinks he knows it all, and is always right. i wonder if they have ever spoken directly to there boss about issues they are having. i know employees that work for that company and never heard them say a bad thing about it, sounds like it's just your issue.

• @Ms What ever Well the same thing happen here in California. I started the company in November. How ever since they refused to fix their testing programs you got to do. I had to re do the same test over 200 times. I spent about 70 hours doing the same test. I talked to the supervisors in detail what was going on. Told them they need tech support to fix the programming. They refused. So I had to down grade my computer to finish the testing. Before I got hired I was promised that I would get at least 30 hours a week. As soon as I started I find out Im maxed out in hours. Im only doing 12 hours a week. The company literally went over budget as soon as I got hired. I get told to hang in there more works coming. Going on month 5 since they said that. Picked up a few part time jobs to get by. My ex supervisor definitely has a stick in his butt. All of a sudden he wants me to pay 200 bucks for shoes. They have to be a very specific brand and model. I get told if I dont get them dont show up to work. The job site I use to work is filthy. It smells like pee on cold days and when it rains it smells like poop. The floors are sticky and super dirty. Not going to spend 200 bucks on shoes. On top of that the company refused to get me shoes. The supervisor I had to deal with was 2 tone. Would say one thing one day. Then the next go back on his word and claim thats not what he said. People like that annoy me and those games are childish. The supervisor gets away with talking down on you as well. I can't recommend this company to anyone.