Menu

Viking River Cruises  -  Cancelation of cruises

L
Author of the complaint
1:20 pm EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Today, 1/22/22 I contacted Viking Cruise lines about canceling a river cruise to France for this June, plenty of days before the cancellation date, and was told that I could not get ALL my money back. The start of this story began in April 2021 when Viking CANCELED my July cruise to Norway and Iceland. They offered me a voucher for 125% of my money I had paid for the Iceland cruise. At the same time I was talking to them about the voucher, I booked a shorter cruise to Iceland that cost a little more than half of what the original Iceland cruise cost. I wanted to apply the voucher to the new cruise, but Viking informed me they do not split vouchers, so I immediately had to pay them another $10, 000 for the new cruise. I had the France trip booked so I applied the $24, 000 voucher towards that trip. Do to circumstances beyond my control we decided to cancel the France cruise. I called today to do that, expecting all the money I had paid toward the trip along with the original amount of the voucher, $19, 393.50, not the 125% ($24, 241.88) of it back. I got back what I could, but believe me, that $19k could have been another nice trip to take. Now, this all takes up to 21 days to process. They certainly want their money a year in advance of the trip. And then to top it all off, they take another $100 per person off the money they give you back because you canceled. Now, let's talk about their insurance, another $1, 838. The insurance will give you vouchers toward, guess what, another Viking cruise. So glad I was talked into that scam. Thanks guys. Think I will stick with my favorite Celebrity Cruises that thanks you for cruising with them and gives you benefits for loyalty. Something Viking never did.

Update by Lodgepole
Apr 28, 2022 10:53 am EDT

I only got my money back that I paid extra on the cruise I canceled. The large voucher money is gone. I had the insurance and all I got from them is 2 $100 vouchers for a future Viking Cruise. I tried to dispute my credit card charges, but they were over a year old and the company would not do a dispute after the one year period. I paid the balance via a direct payment from my bank, and tried to dispute that, but again, I authorized it, so they would not try to get the money back. In all, we are out the money. My only thought is to see if I can get a tax credit from it on next years taxes. Will NEVER cruise with Viking again.

Update by Lodgepole
Jan 22, 2022 1:23 pm EST

Unable to get refund after canceling a cruise

More Viking River Cruises complaints & reviews