US Airways MastercardFree ticket offer

Buyer Beware as the saying goes. The US Air Credit Card offer is a very bad joke on anyone who thinks they are going to get a free round trip ticket. At best you may get one of your dates during an entire month. No guarantee if it is coming or going: Not gonna happen. You are placed in a choice of using a 50, 000 mile or more award if you want to fly. Their Award people at the reservation centre, although sympathetic, can offer no help. Sorry is the most frequent offer.

Soooo-if you fall for the false misleading ad that you are going to get a free round trip ticket for the 25, 000 miles when you sign up for their Credit Card; Well, you are in for a big surprise.

• Pi
    Pissedoffpeter Feb 18, 2014

3 month after signing up, using credit card and paying balance on time still no award miles, not a single one. Three calls to customer service, 3 X 20 minutes wait, 3 different excuses. Wonder how booking the flight will go.

• Wi
    WinstonGS May 14, 2013

I also clearly heard that 40, 000 bonus miles would be forthcoming if I signed up. I have since discovered that only 30, 000 bonus miles was approved. I consider this fraudulent and I intend to lodge a formal complaint with NC consumer fraud. I certainly hope that others who were similarly deceived will do the same thing.

• Da
    David Gervasi Apr 06, 2013

Now 2013 and nothing has changed. Same deceptive practice. Flew yesterday from Syracuse to Sarasota and really listened to what flight attendant said, "40, 000 miles good for 2 round trip tickets to anywhere in continental US". Thought I misheard when flying from Rome to Philly last October when I signed up. Now I know I was duped, as indeed that is not the case.

• Ef
    EFT311 Oct 25, 2011

No where on sign up for this special offer credit card did it state there would be an annual fee. The offer was for $50 off the flight charge I was booking. Also re-read the welcome letter before activating card and again, nothing stating a fee. So they gave me $50 credit and charged me $89 for an annual fee. This will be the only annual fee they will ever get out of me. I am transferring the balance to another card and cancelling this card. No way on earth will I pay an annual fee to use a card when they get money out of me and the merchant and any interest. Bad business practice.

• Ga
    G Agostinelli May 16, 2011

Right there with you. I just called again and at least they waived HALF of the annual fee because they still can't seem to deliver the certificate. They can't track it, overnight it, or even give you the opportunity to use it electronically. What a waste. They should not be allowed to offer this companion certificate as a benefit if you can't even use it.

• Mi
    MichShell Mar 21, 2011

I was offered the $99 companion ticket when I signed up, and I never received it - Finally, two years after having a US Air CC, received one companion ticket for $149 - And it came so late and after so many fighting calls, that I now have 15 days to book before it expires. COMPLETE scam

chas 73 Jul 08, 2010

Wow, I thought I was the only one. I was supposed to get my $99 companion tickets at the end of April. They said there was a glitch in the system and I would receive them in 4 to 6 weeks. It is now 9 weeks later and every time I call they insist that I will receive them in 4 to 6 weeks. So I called again today and they said they placed another order for me and that I will receive them by August 10th, 4 weeks from now. I complained to them that this will make it 4 months later. Every time I talk with someone from the credit card company they go round and round with the same lies. Barclay is the holding bank for US Airways Mastercard. I complained to US airways also, but they didn't seem to care either. My vacation may have to be cancelled to the west coast because tickets for three are way too much for me. Is anyone interested in a class action suit?

• Ru
    ruarnold22 Jun 14, 2010

Unfortunately I fell for this myself. I was even so stupid as to buy the 2 for 1 miles upgrade they offered. Spent $740 on 25, 000 + 25, 000 miles, which I asssumed would be good for two RT tickets. I went to go use them and saw that they really have no 25, 000 RT award flight. f I'm lucky I might be able to find a mid-tier which is still 40, 000 So essentially I paid $740 for a RT ticket that would normally cost $400. Huge scam. Will be cancelling this card as soon as my year is up and the annual fee is due again.

• Pa
    painer Jul 08, 2009

Our $79 fee was paid and the account is in excellent standing but USAirways Mastercard did not provide us with a companion ticket voucher this year. We are supposed to receive the voucher every year. Even after several phone calls they still have not provided the voucher. We have no choice but the eat the $79 fee. We are checking into any legal action we might be able to use to get the voucher. I would not recommend this card, the service has been poor on this problem and there are many other cards out there that are providing real benefits that are equal to if not better than this card.

• Dm
    dmarieski000 Jul 06, 2009

Their $99 companion deal is no deal at all. I think it's more USair than the credit card people. The USair card was originally Bank of America then it switched to Barclay's. Same deal 2 months to book. And you are right about the 50, 000 miles. Everytime I tried to book something it as 50, 000 miles. I Will be getting rid of this card as soon as I use up my miles. If you want a really good card, I recommend Capital One rewards program. It's great. No blackout dates and it's 15, 000 rewards for the first tier. and goes up 30, 000 rewards, etc. Still less than the 50, 000 that usair wants.

• Gl
    gliattitd Jun 23, 2009

I too was scammed by them. They now offer a $99 companion fare if you buy their credit card. But they send the certificate in such a manner that you only have 2 months in which you can make your reservations. I didnt even realize it was only good for 2 months till 3 months later when I decided to use one of them.

US Airways and their mastercardpeople are not honest.