United Online Collections DivisionFraud

N

We received a bill from United Online Collections Division stating that we owed $14.90 to Juno, a United Online Company. We have NEVER dealt with Juno and have absolutely no idea how this company got our address. When we called the toll free number, we got an automated message giving details on how to make a payment. There was no option to speak with someone live.

Who should we contact to report this company? They keep sending us notices that are invalid...and that's the problem. We've ignored the last few ones, but this is getting quite ridiculous. Please help.

• Ar
    Arleen Fogel Nov 03, 2008

I have just received the same collection notice by mail for $ 14.90. I found your complaint comment when trying to find out informaiton on this letter and company as well. Must be fraud!

• Wo
    Woods Jan 03, 2009

I just received a notice, the same company, the same amount. Nice try!! Bet they would like my credit card number!!

Saltidog Mar 11, 2009

I just received the same letter only alleging that we owed 29.90 to netzero. We never used Netzero, but my bank caught Netzero trying to hack into my bank account through Paypal last summer. I just filed a complaint with the FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center.

Has anyone ever heard of this group actually going to a credit report on these fraudulant claims?

Angelica Jun 04, 2009

I received the same letter for $19.90 and saw this post when I was researching how to contact the company. I have never used Net Zero.

Does anyone know how to contact them?

Sally in Florida Jun 14, 2009

Like each of you, I too received a dunning letter from UnitedOnline, a company with which I have never had any dealings. I went pro-active. First, I notified each of my credit card companies that no charges from this company were authorized now or in the future. Second, after a week, I wrote to the company a certified return receipt requested letter and told them I had not done business with them, they could not prove I had done business with them, their attempt to collect a bogus claim was invalid, and they were to cease and desist any attempt to collect. I did not sign the letter so they would have no way to try and put my signature to any "proof" they might subsequently try to provide. And finally, I showed copies to every credit bureau, the state's attorney generals in both my state and in California, the FTC Consumer Division, and a law firm in California that successfully sued them for similar actions.

I have not heard one word from them. I believe they think when a person gets a dunning letter with a veiled threat to ruin their credit that the individual will pay in order to avoid the hassle. Do Not Let This Company Buffalo You.

• Bo
    Boomer4 Jul 29, 2009

I just received a call from "United Online Claiming Department" by a representative by the name of "Jason Wright". He spoke with a middle eastern accent. He told me that I have a cashier's check owed to me in the amount of $2.5million dollars but that I now owe a fee of $599 because the check has been held in over due process for 3 weeks. He told me to go to my nearest Money Graham or Western Union office to send the over due balance. I of course questioned him. I requested him to send the information to my email address and as well asked for his company's web address. He told me that he would give me that information once the check is mailed. Obviously he did not know who he was dealing with. I told him there was no way that I would send money to what seems to be a fraudulent business. He continued to try to verify my personal information. I said to him, first give me his business information so that I could verify it and then he hung up. I then immediately called the BBB.

• Je
    JenniferSH Nov 05, 2009

Has anyone having these issues contacted the Better Business Bureau regarding this matter? A friend of mine keeps receiving these letters for a payment collection as well. She had never checked the Company online and when I did all that I pulled up was sites like this stating that United Online Collections Division is a fraud. How is this place still getting away with doing this??? How many people opened up the statement, and PAID the bill thinking they actually owed something??? This is horrible and needs to be stopped!!! IMMEDIATELY!!!

• La
    lar63 Mar 01, 2010

We also received two collection letters for $29.90 services not requested. After the first letter we sent a dispute letter but received no response. After the 2nd collection letter we submitted the information to the Better Business Bureau in California, since this is where the "United Online" letters were coming from. BBB followed up and we received a confirmation that the debt is erased and will not affect our credit report. It takes a few minutes to file the report but worth it to erase the debt and make the BBB aware of the scam.

• Mv
    MVig Mar 04, 2010

Set a letter stating i owed 29.90 or they would continue collections

• Ca
    carol adams May 03, 2010

i do noy owe netzero...my computer crashed back in 10-09 and i got a new one they did not have high speed internet so i went with centurylink...you can see threr was no activity on netzero...there trying to charge me and i did not use them.

• To
    Tommie Kelley May 08, 2010

I did use netzero for a few months, but then I switched to yahoo instead. I made sure that netzero was paid in full before I cancelled my service with them.

• To
    Tommie Kelley May 08, 2010

I did use netzero for a few months then I switched to yahoo, however, I made sure that netzero was paid in full before I cancelled my services with them. If your company would please check their records, I would greatly appreciate it.

• Jl
    jlinnsmit Jul 07, 2010

I also received a letter from United Online Collections Division for $10. Juno said I owed for a backup service that they offered free when I disconnected the service. I also tried to call United but only had a recording. I called Juno who said I had to write to the company. I asked for a supervisor and I have been given a reference number that reflects me being taken off the collection list. We will see. I asked the Juno representative if United Online Collections Division is a company within Juno- her response was yes.

• Ti
    tinkerbell21 Jul 07, 2010

I just got a collection notice saying that i owe them 19.90 for a netzero account i cancelled on sept. 20, 2009 almost a year ago! Netzero told me when i called them about it that the representitive that i talk to suspended my account instead of canceling it! Now tell me if that is not messed up!

• He
    Help stop the fraud Dec 08, 2010

Like some of you I had a charge come through my credit card from Juno which I promptly ask my credit card company to return as unauthorized. Approximately 1 month later I received a collection letter from United Online Collections Division for Juno. With help from a letter I found on Clark Howards web site I am sending an unsigned letter in repsonce to their collection attempt. The letter is short and simply states "I have been contacted by your company about a debt you allege I owe. Unless you can provide me with proof that I authorized this transaction I am instructing you not to contact me further in connection with this alleged debt. Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, a federal law, you may not contact me further once I have notified you not to do so." Hopefully this will put an end to their fraudulent attempts with me... One can hope anyway!

• Je
    jessica carretero Jan 10, 2011

Hello ago I get a letter from netzero where it says that devo $29.90 but I cance my account in June now not is that me this coming this collection letter is assumed that one first pay to receive your internet thing that a disservice now have no is by charge me.
    I can do? I have to pay that money?

• Hi
    Hillsongfan1 Feb 06, 2011

I just got a bill from them saying I owe Juno $44.85. I did not order Juno and never will. This is a crock deal and a bunch of stupid loser crooks. Of course, no website address to dispute this. [censor]ing loser crooks.

Jane Zeravsky Apr 07, 2012

Hello my name is Jane Zeravsky and this what my report is stated on Juno. I canceled in October of 2011. This is my record. So United on line is getting nothing. Least I can pull this up on Juno for proff. My bill from "UOCD" was $21.90.
    Transaction Date Item From To Amount**
    02/20/12 Balance carried from previous cycle $32.85
    02/20/12 Payment Error $0.00
    Outstanding balance $0.00

• Cl
    C.Lee Miller Jun 14, 2012

I also cancelled my netzero account. I just received this notice from United Online Collections Division. I owed $29.80 and must pay by the 21st of this month to stop all collection activity. I also called the company and received an voice message saying they would transfer the call. It went to a music resource and then immediately told me that this number is not valid. I tried several times and it was always the same. I have never had so much trouble with an online business. Never again will I use netzero.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices