United Air Careunfinished work and hard-sell tactics

J

n response to a $79 coupon from Valu-Pak, I scheduled air-duct cleaning from my 3bd rental home on a Friday afternoon, 9/5/08. The sales rep, "Shawn", showed up with a non-English
speaking Mexican guy (who did all "the work" while Shawn was busy trying to sell me on $100's of dollars worth of extra product) They had a very impressive vacuum machine with them and Shawn explained that it exerts " 5 tons of negative ion pressure". Shawn told me that he only needed one duct vent open to hook the machine up to--that the machine was powerful enough to suck all of the dust and debri out of the entire system from the one vent.
Not far into the work set up, Shawn told showed me where there was a duct in my attic that had been improperly sealed with duct tape (by my landlord, most likely). I climbed up the ladder and looked into the attic as he explained to me what he was talking about. Shawn highly recommended that this duct be sealed properly with flexible, metallic tape. He offered to tape this duct properly for me as a courtesy, "no extra charge." I would think that this little taping procedure would be a standard part of cleaning the air ducts properly, but he acted as if he were doing me a big favor. After all, how can you suck all the air and debri out if there are leaks in the system?
As his worker was vacuuming the ducts, Shawn suggested that I stay outside. He came outside on the patio with me for most of the time trying to sell me on a new Electrostic Gold filter $181.00) and a UV Light Cleanser ($650.00). I told Shawn right up front that I was in financial hardship and although I agreed that these products made good sense, it was not a good time for me to invest in them at this time. He continued to hard-sell "pressure" me, albeit in a very friendly way, to purchase these extra products, offering to break the cost of the UV Light Cleaser into three monthly payments and to give me a slight discount on the cost. After listening to his enthusiastic convincing and reading the brochures he gave me, I gave in, and agree to purchase the filter and UV unit if I could pay in three monthly installments. I assumed they would invoice me for these installments, as most companies do.
At the end of their work, as Shawn was writing up the invoice, I noticed that he had not filled out the section that outlines my three monthly payments for the UV unit. I asked him to fill it in before I signed. As he did so, he stated that he needed me to write three checks, up front, (two of them could be post-dated). I balked at this and told him that I would write a check for the duct cleaning, air filter and 1/3 of the UV cleanser and asked that they invoice me for the other two payments. He insisted that he was "not allowed" to accept my payment any other way--that he must have the checks up front and that he "promised" the post-dated checks would not be cashed sooner than the date indicated on the check. Of course, I knew that legally, most banks could easily cash a check upon presentation of it, whether it was post-dated or not. I argued this point with Shawn, but he insisted that his company would not submit the post-dated checks to be cashed until the dates stated they should be cashed. Shawn was very smooth at gaining my "trust" and convincing me to do it his way, plus, the UV unit had already been installed and the ducts had been "cleaned" so I felt pressured to just write the checks, get them out of there and take a "leap of faith" that I would be treated fairly. I had a meeting to get to that night so I could not spend more time belabored these details with him.
When I started to sign the invoice/service agreement, I noticed that I was stating to have "checked and approved the work", but I had not yet done so. When I told Shawn that I did not want to sign the contract until I've checked the work, he told me I could not go in there for at least 15 minutes because they had just done a "smoke check" and it would be dangerous for my health. Even though they had given me a dust mask and we had been walking in and out of the house while they were working, Shawn insisted that I should stay outside until at least 15 minutes after they had left. I told him that I still wanted to check that the ducts had been taped up as he promised and he assured me that they had been. Shawn told me that if I were not satisfied with the service they provided, I could simply call the office and they would come back to correct the situation, but that I should not go into the house for at least another 15 minutes, to protect my health. So I decided to trust his word, wrote him three post-dated checks to pay for the very expensive UV Light Cleanser and signed the contract.
Soon after they left, I had a function to attend so had to leave for the night. The next day, I had a client to work with, so was gone all day. On Sunday, I finally had time to undo all of the vents and climb up to the attic to check United Air Care's work. The Vent he pointed out to me was NOT taped as he promised. Plus, each of the vent covers and some of the openings were filthy with dust and debri. Most likely, the super-duper vacuum unit did not suck all of this out because the ducts had leaks in them.
When I called on Monday to request that Shawn come back out to complete the job satisfactorily, I spoke to the manager, Denny Amar, who was very curt with me. After trying to explain my disatisfaction, amidst him frequently interrupting me, I began to get an even more bitter taste with this company. Since I did not feel I was being listened to, I asked him to please have Shawn call me so we can get him back out here to complete the job and show me where he believes the ducts were taped in the attic. Denny assured me that he would call Shawn as soon as he hung up with me and ask him to call me ASAP that day. I left at 5:30pm that day to attend a business meeting. When I returned at 10:00pm that night, I listened to a voice mail message from Shawn (he called at 6:23pm to tell me that they DID tape the ducts and that I must be confused about where to look in the attic--he did not offer to come out to finish the work or show me where they taped the duct). I then began to look back on the entire service visit with a clear head, and in hindsight, recognized some red flags. Now I'm suspicious, so I began doing some online research on United Air Care and found several consumer complaints written about them. When I called the manager back the next day, 9/8/08, I was told he "was on another line". Reading over their customer "agreement" I realized that they required any complaint to be in writing. So, after much searching for an address to write to (without success), I wrote a complaint through their "contact us" section on the website and then faxed them over a copy of the complaint. My letter informed them that I stopped payment on my checks to them and requested they send someone out to finish the work satisfactorily before I re-cut any checks to them. I also stated that I had second thoughts about purchasing the UV Light Cleanser and requested them to take it back. I explained to them that I had changed my mind on the purchase because I no longer trusted the company and because I was in the midst of financial hardship.
Soon after I faxed over the complaint letter stating that I stopped payment on my checks to United Air Care, Denny, the manager that I'd spoken to on 9/8/08, called me. Instead of working with me to rectify my dissatisfaction with the service provide me on 9/5/08, Denny became defensive and combative with me. He even threatened to "sue me for fraud"--for writing bad checks--and to report me to the credit bureaus, etc.). Although I stated to him several times that I intended to re-cut a check to United Air Care as soon as Shawn came back to finish the work completely, Denny continued to argue with me. Because I knew I was not being listened to or cooperated with, and because I was running late for a client appointment, I told Denny we would need to resolve this later and that I expected a call back from Shawn to come back out and show me where he believes the duct was properly taped up. That conversation was on 9/9/08. I have already vacuumed out all of the debri and dust from the openings of each duct vent and cleaned the vents. I have not yet received a call back or any kind of communication from United Air Care, although Denny had threatened to take me to court. What would YOU do?

UA - 1K Sep 02, 2009

Read the T&Cs before you purchase - YOUR IGNORANCE is not a right to complain!

Besides - the "upgrade kit" does NOT guarantee you an upgrade - it just puts you on the "upgrade list" and as of late - you as a "fly one a year" MP member are very unlikely to get the upgrade - as Global Service, 1K, PE, P, PA members (in that order take precedence - regardless of when they request the upgrade).

WHY should YOU benefit from having these perks (like priorty standby flights, exit row, economy plus, upgrades, etc) when there are "frequent" travelers who are more valuable to UA (or fill in whatever carrier).

My advise - wait in the lobby to board last, sit down, shut up, and enjoy. Else fly someone else - your once in a lifetime flight revenue is meaningless to the value of those of us who fly consistently.

UA - 1K Sep 02, 2009

Missing facts / details...

This is policy - if you flew more than once in a lifetime - you would read and understand airline policy and T&Cs before you agree to them (i.e. via your purchase of the ticket).

Pending MP status, ticket fare basis, etc - different benefits are provided for changes or delayed and cancelled flights.

Try to read, comprehend and act responsible before moaning about what you didn't get... and think that you are "entitled" to...

UA is a good airline - and may make errors (but they don't control the weather or FAA requirements) - but they also compensate if they are wrong or are supposed to (via Contract of Carriage ).

• Ta
    Tabller Dec 10, 2009

United Airline by far is the WORST airline I've ever used. They failed to contact me when my flight was canceled. Their lame excuse for my flight cancellation was that they did not have a flight crews. If anyone listen, please DO NOT use United Airline no matter how inexpensive your flight ticket is.

• Ms
    m singh Jan 04, 2010

I had the same experience with them yesterday. United Care Air Duct Cleaning guy was asking me around $700 for cleaning my duct with included $175 for cleaning furnace fan, $175 for filter( which is washable), $275 for sanitize the ducts plus $5 to clean each duct open cover. This was just one unit; I have two units in the home.
    I have one duct lose at the end and they said they will fix that too in it.

Once I refused to do that the guys was telling me that why I have bought such a expensive house if I cannot afford it? why you have pool you do not do swimming but still spends money to maintain it?

I got very angry with his comments; I have perfectly made him clear that it is none of his business. If he don’t want to do the basic cleaning, which was $40 + $40 ( I have two units), he should get out of my house. He left saying that your duct is lose and we cannot do it as we have to use negative pressure. Once I will fix that they can come back to do it.

I fixed that lose duct in 5 min later using duct tape. They were ready to fix it if I had paid them $700. Also he didn't even do the second unit and just left.

After reading you’re compliant and my own experience, I guess I have realized that everybody should stay from these crooks.
    m singh
    calabasas CA

• Ke
    kelly b2 Jan 19, 2010

I think this is a little blow out of proportion

• Kn
    Knowledgeable Consumer Jan 27, 2010

I had the exact same experience. An Israeli guy who called himself Elay came out with a Mexican guy and pushed the hardest sales push to upgrade my service to a $1, 400 service. When I asked them if I could look in the box that they said was filled with debris from the air ducts of my fairly new condo, they refused and moved the box out of my reach.

• Da
    Daawgon Feb 01, 2010

I totally agree - United is a disgrace. I'd rather fly Air India. I could not believe the shabbiness of their planes, lack of service and refreshments. Unfortunately, they codeshare with so so many airlines in the USA/world that it's near impossible to avoid them!

• Mu
    mushu51108 Mar 30, 2010

hey guys, so i used to wok for united air care, nottoo long ago, as a sales rep.
    when i first got there, the people that you referenced to were always talked about.
    they were dirty sales people, they tried to sell you snake oil.
    i no longer work for the company, but ican tell you that the service has really changed, they are under new management, and the techs have basically ALL been replaced.
    i really encourage you to call back and ask to speak to one of the managers now, and try and gt something done about your bad service.

• Kn
    Knowledgeable Consumer Apr 24, 2010

United Air Care is Ocean Air Care. they keep changing the company name and have several companies running using different names at the same time. Same guys. Only safe bet - DON'T USE ANY SERVICES THROUGH VALUEPAK OR MONEY MAILER. Find your vendors the old fashion way!

• Th
    The truth the whole truth Apr 27, 2010

United Air Care and Ocean Air Care are no affiliated. They are actually competitors. Do your homework - check out United Air Care: all you need to look at are license information and you will realize they are two separate companies, unaffiliate in any way. And as for them owning a bunch of companies - so what? Name one large company that doesn't own smaller companies or has different names - it's a common practice. Of course there are unhappy customers - that's a sad reality of any company. But it's important to remember one thing: this website allows anonymous comments (so nothing here is verified) and is completely one-sided (the company cannot defend itself) so it's really hard to prove what's true and what's not.
    The company MUST honor the price of the coupon - false advertising is illegal, so saying that they refused to honor the price cannot be right.
    I am actually a satisfied customer and found these complaints online, which I feel are an exaggerated, one-sided version of the truth. Every story has two sides and unfortunately consumers are not getting a fair evaluation of a company because of some exaggerated statements and flat-out untruths.
    The bottom line is, licensed service companies are very highly regulated, so if all these negative statements are true - I believe one of those regulating agencies would have done something about it.
    Speaking as someone who has had extensive work done by this company, I was very happy with the crew, the work, the price, the follow-up, and the customer service. I wish everyone here would have had the same experience.

• Hs
    Hsample Jun 30, 2010

I arrived at LAX for flight 163 to Honolulu on June 14 at least two hours before the scheduled departure. Yet my bag has been lost. It is now 24 hours since I put my bag in the care of United, and no one knows where it is.

United's bag tracking website continues to say United has no idea where it is. When I call the lost bag office number, I get Manila. When I call customer service, I get India. In both cases, the United reps use false names, their accent is so heavy and the telephonic connection so unclear, they are hard to understand. The most I got out of the lost bag unit yesterday, from a rep who said his name is Cepak Adav, was that there were no more flights that afternoon from LAX to HNL -- which was absolutely untrue since there were at least three more flights from LAX to HNL on the afternoon of the 14th.

So here I sit, my bag -- which contains important documents as well as dirty clothes -- is God knows where. And United appears to have done little to get it back to me.

UA - 1K Aug 09, 2010

You provide a lot of "pity me" but no facts about UA or items within their control (i.e. ground stops, FAA limits, etc)...

You seem to be misinformed about your rights and expectations, perhaps due to your own ignorance.

Perhaps you owe United an apology...

• Ki
    Kikster Feb 28, 2011

I and 3 other persons in my family were traveling out of Portland to Burbank via San Francisco in August of 2007 when we arrived to stand in line for baggage check-in, 1 hour prior to flight departure. By the time we arrived at the baggage check in and automated boarding pass dispenser 15 minutes later we were warned that we had missed the flight and would have to check with United Airlines personnel to accomodate us on another flight to get us to our destination. I was informed nothing was available leaving out of Portland for two days! We could try stand by on the next flight out from Portland to San Francisco, but would have to check in our baggage to assure a spot in stand-by. We did not get on, even after checking in with out United Mileage Plus Accounts. Before stand-by was called they were asking for persons to volunteer to give up their seats for the over-booked passengers. It was then I realized all the flights out of Portland had been over-booked for two days.
    I was informed at the counter I did not qualify for a refund of the unused fare, even though we were there 1 hour prior to flight departure according to the counter associate. The sign at the beginning of the line state 45 minutes. That was the first contradiction.
    After missing the first stand-by and the inablility of United Airlines Representatives to tell us where we stood in the waitlist for the next stand-by 3 hours later we figured we would most likely be bumped for the next two days!
    Decided the only way to get home without havig to pay $1200.00 for a chance at another ticket on another airline to get home was to rent a car and drive the long drive from Portland to Burbank Airport where we could pick up our car that was in long-term parking. We all had to be a work meetings the next day and schools.
    Upon my return I immediately sent an e-mail to United Airline's Customer Service with all flight information. I received an answer and an attempt to make-good on the contradictory information I was given. They were very sorry and informed that me I would receive a refund for the unused portion of the four airline tickets. I was informed I would see the credit back on the card I had used to pay. I was also given travel vouchers in the amout of $100 per passenger. About two weeks later I contacted the same customer service rep to inform him that I still did not have a refund to my credit card. He replied that I should contact the Refunds Department if I had further questions.
    Refunds Department located in India (I asked where they were located) told me that Customer Service did not have the authority to approve refunds...Huh???? They told me that I did not qualify for a refund since I missed my flight, even though I was in line one hour prior to departure (second contradiction).
    I insisted and then was told I could speak to a real live person (again in India) in the Customer Service department and that I should request expenses for having been forced to rent a car and extra food. I did not even attempt to ask for the one night in the hotel room. I was denied that because I missed my fllight (3rd contradiction).
    I do not want a travel voucher because I do not intend to fly United Airlines again, and I will be cancelling my United Airlines Frequent Flyer account for all 5 family members. I sent another e-mail to customer service re-itering my complaint and pasting the previous e-mails I had received. I still have not heard back and it has been over one month!
    It was so disappointing that an airline that was once a flagship of professionalism does not have its departments working in synch. No one has authority to do take care of complaints...meanwhile they keep getting bailouts that I have paid for in taxes!
    Hooray for the upstart airlines companies that have figured out what customer service is. I must remember that next time I take a business or personal trip.

• Ra
    RaeAnn Jun 15, 2011

Two of my family members were left stranded at their point of origin today as a result of the poor business ethics of United Airline. I am told by a United manager that the practice of routinely overbooking flights, even though these fights were booked months in advance, is the direct cause of the unnecessary heartbeak of two students who were about to embark on a once in a life time trip. All the agent could do was quote statistics and say that all the other airlines do this as well. A voucher does not compensate for this vastly negative experience. This is unacceptable practice on behalf of this airline.

• Sp
    Sportus Jul 08, 2011

On may 13 2010 I was stranded my United Airlines at Chicago Ohara airport. My fligth to Eau claire Wisconsin was Canx do to weather, Which is not the case, It was because it was only 50% full. They put my self and my wife on a flight to Minneapolis and didn't pay my way to Eau Clare. I had to pay additional 100 for a van service. to eau claire. Not one manager would even talk to me about refunding my additional expenses. I Never fly united airlines again.

marie ff Oct 29, 2011

anyone and I do mean anyone could have walked off with it before a flight attendant even got to your row. Dont assume a crew member did. the person next to behind you could have walked right off with it. But I do agree a person should be available to atleast try and track down items or answer questions.

martinmandy711 Apr 09, 2012

neighbor's mom made $15640 the prior week. she works on the laptop and got a $571500 house. All she did was get fortunate and put into action the clues exposed on this web site makecash16.com

• Aa
    AAHelpTeam Apr 10, 2012

Hello –

Jackie from the Help Team here. We’re pleased that our customer service team was able to assist you. Please take advantage of our 10-day Satisfaction Guarantee, which gives you the opportunity to fully read and assess your policy, and if you believe that it does not meet your needs, you can cancel it and receive a full premium refund.

Should you have any questions leading up to your vacation, please don’t hesitate to call our customer service team at 1.800.284.8300, and one of our dedicated representatives will assist you. Our team is available 24/7/365 to answer any questions you may have.

Regards,
    Jackie, Help Team

• Ev
    Evv Jun 06, 2012

United Airlines has set up and trained their call center staff in India. They speak English with heavy heavy... accent. One time I told the representative "round trip ticket" and she replied "w-one trip ticket, right?" I really not sure what to answer! Apparently, staff of United oversea call center does not get trained well in these areas: finding resource, using company technologies, and customer services to aid their job demands. In the end, customers suffer. I wouldn't fly in United Airlines neither; instead, I fly Delta. I can always speak to someone who actually live and work in the US.

• Ph
    phelpschick Oct 13, 2014

Dealt with a "Donna P" at Ft. Lauderdale Airport. Flight was delayed out of Chicago--the other reps were getting people rescheduled. Donna P immediately started talking about flying out 24 HOURS LATER making me absent for work and my husband. She was so slow we had to sleep overnight. No sympathy or compensation at United. NEVER AGAIN!

• Un
    united air care Aug 19, 2016

May 18-2008, Toni from United air care came to my house for clean up air way system, he introduced U.V light cleanser & life time warranty for filters, U. V light kill bacteria etc...Filters clean air up to 99%...U.V light cost $750 and filter cost $200 each I buy 3 filters..and every 2 years come to my house for free service and clean up air way system for free up to 12 years..
    May 19-2010 I call United Air Care for service and clean up air way system, they said that is not for free, only free is check for u.v light is working properly or not, i said o.k come to my house check for my u.v light . they said o.k they will call me back for make appointment, I wait and wait one week after nobody calling me..I call them again and they said the same thing again...and i wait and wait and today June 5-2010 I was so mad I call them and they put me on hold for so long and they said they don't care how much i pay they don't give me the service anymore.

• Th
    T Holmes500 Aug 19, 2016

Our 1st flight was late making our layover close. Our connecting flight boarded early with no regard that we were cutting it close due to the 1st flights series of bad judgments. We could literally see our connecting plane out the window sitting there locked up for 20 mins. unable to board. Customer Service greeted us with "NEXT" and snatched our boarding passes. (Ms Morgan) Then repeatedly stated weather issues were not their fault as I tried to correct her that this was NOT weather related she put the palm of her hand close to my face and shouted I'm not talking to you over and over again. After we were told the next flight was not leaving until the next morning making us late for our jobs. I murmured to my bf that this was [censored] up and she screamed at me for another 5 mins that I was slurring profanity and she was going to call security etc. etc. I asked were our luggage ended up and they literally said it would take too much effort to locate. Everyone we encountered was severely rude, and incompetent. Even the person directing us to our gate said take a right and pointed to the left??

marine2334 Aug 19, 2016

Am I the only one that is outraged about all of the airline fees. I wanted to make a change for my wife to be on an earlier flight on the same day on a half full airplane and was told it will cost $150 to switch. We had already paid $564.98 to fly to Green Bay Wisconsin and these fees are getting out of control. Finally after yelling and screaming they finally put her on my flight!! Why does it have to resort to yelling when all they had to do is change her flight from 11:am to 6:am. Give me a break. The plane was HALF FULL!!! When do I get a $150.oo when they change my flight plans! FAA you need to get involved!! NOW!!!

Sandra Huskins Aug 19, 2016

I had confirmed seating arrangements on Mumbai to Pensacola Flight via Zurich.
    The Zurich to Washington DC flight was cancelled without any announcements. No airline staff was available to help. No
    public announcement was made. I was thoroughly inconvenienced because of the flight cancellation. My connecting flights were missed. I reached late at my destination. I had to book another flight for $600.
    I demand adequate compensation for all the inconveniences, additional costs and damages.

• Babs Johnson Aug 19, 2016

I have had nothing but problems making reservations with United Airlines. This is mainly due to the use of Foreign personnel agents to take your requests. Most, if not all, calls go to India, Malaysia, etc. Their English is poor and they do not understand complex booking arrangements. I have learned to use the International booking function on the phone which puts me into a U.S. based agent pool. This sometimes takes more than one call as you may be transfered back into the foreign-based domestic loop.

• Dl
    dlierma Aug 19, 2016

When buying ticket clicked box to buy travel insurance. The insurance did not show up. Tried to contact United to try and add. No customer service number on ticketing website but only some dumb bot that tried to sell me same insurance at more than twice price. Googled United customer service and was transferred to India after 30 minutes waiting. An English challenged individual eventually tried to transfer me to web support but dropped my call sending me back into the new call cue for another 40 minutes. The next assistant stayed on the line until the call was transferred and I was told after 20 minutes of trial and error that I had to call the insurance company Allianz who was able to solve the issue and sell me the travel insurance at the original price. Boy do I MISS CONTINENTAL AIRLINES. UNITED IS A SCREWED UP MESS.

• Ve
    VeteranUSAF Aug 19, 2016

United Customer Service,
    The Scenario: I purchased a multi-city fare from United.com on 7/6/2011 flying from Houston TX (IAH) to Tucson, AZ, then flying from San Diego, CA to Washington Dulles (IAD). I realized once I had made the purchase that I made a mistake and meant to put IAD instead of IAH for my departure point. I called United customer service to let them know I had made a mistake and he said since it was within 24 hours (this was 5 minutes after the purchase) that I would not have to pay a transfer fee. He then proceeded to tell me that the difference would be $66.70. I said great and then he told me the flight that I would be taking.
    The issue: I learned later that day that there was a 4 hour non-stop flight he could have put me on for $402 (each ticket) instead of the 8 hour flight he put me on for $426 (each ticket), but I brushed it off and said I would just deal with it.
    More Issues: THEN, I find out two days later that the $66.70 gets charged twice on my card. I called up United and they said it was an extra $66.70 per ticket which was not what was conveyed in my phone call with customer service. That brings us to $460 per ticket! So now not only am I on the worst flight that he could have found for that day, but it’s also the most expensive flight he could have found. I can get online right now and get the exact same flights for $419 per ticket or shorter flights for even cheaper!
    The result: This is unacceptable. I would prefer you just refund my money completely and let me order my tickets all over again (from United.com). I have been flying United for a while, if not remedied soon I will be taking by business elsewhere in the future.
    Shaun Cell: [protected]

• Pa
    PamRed Aug 19, 2016

I was trying to get an upgrade in the United.com. Just under my itinerary in "Request an Upgrade", there is a link: "Purchase a 500 miles Upgrade kit" ($325). After my purchase, I learned that it only works for US, Central America and Canada travels. I will go to South America and would need the Economy Plus Year Plan ($349).

I called United Airlines and United.com costumer services and they didn't allowed me to change the plan or to cancel the first purchase. All the representatives sent me to other sectors or tried to sell the Economy Plus Year Plan (without cancel the first purchase). Several times.

I was tricked by United.com and they didn't help me at all. I am a mileage plus member for years and I am so upset with this situation that I decided not travel United anymore.

The costumer service is disrespectful and useless. They should fire everybody and put a robot repeating: "I am sorry. We can't help you. But before end your call, give me more money".

• In
    IngJ52 Aug 19, 2016

United Airlines gladly accepted my fare for a flight from Las Vegas to my hometown of Peoria Illinois. Myself and two travel companions had flights booked with a connection at Chicago O'hare. On the date in question, we arrived at O'hare and experienced about 20 minutes of weather. I watched the storm on my laptop with a broadband wireless card and looked at it's progress. My connecting flight was then delayed from 11:30am to 1pm. I am watching the flight boards and my gate is changed to across the terminal, next my 1pm became a 2:53 pm with yet another gate change. My next flight becomes a 4:30pm until after another hour or two of waiting I am cancelled altogether. During all this I have called customer care for United three times to no avail. I am advised that there are no other flights, and that no one can help me, and the flights the next day are full, so essentially I am stranded. I ask for a rental car and the customer service girl puts me thru to Hertz and hangs up, no help, no offer to pay for the car rental, nothing. Once Hertz got on the line, they informed they had no cars left anyway. I finally paid for a driver to come from Peoria to pick us up and drive us home, thankfully we were within driving distance. The whole time I am watching United flights leave, at this point there are no weather issues!! My experience was horrible and the response from United was completely unacceptable.

• Rl
    RLSJerr Aug 19, 2016

Upon checking in at Yuma Int'l Airport Monday for a connecting flight in LAX to Sydney, the counter staff could utilized their computer system to purchase the Australia ETA tourist visa. They failed and, thusly, could not print my boarding pass. The plane pulled away from the gate and I was instructed to purchase the ETA through the Australia website and return the next day for checkin, which I did. One day of my dream vacation lost! I arrive Tuesday for checkin, with Australian ETA confirmation in hand and the staff still could not print my boarding pass to LAX, due to the system no recognizing my ETA, in time for my flight. They did get it printed after an hour and a half on the phone to their computer help desk, and 10 minutes after the plane left the airport! Two days lost of my dream vacation. They rebooked me for Wednesday and I now have boarding passes in hand. I just called United Airlines for a simple, and very accommodating, request of compensation for my lost two days. I requested a seating upgrade for each day I was delayed, taking me from Economy to Business Elite. They only offered me an Economy Plus upgrade, in a center seat. I currently have an aisle seat with 4 seats vacant in my row. I asked to talk to the supervisor (these people are in India, BTW). After a prolonged wait, the supervisor told me she could not offer any upgrade at all!

So, two days of my vacation (and life) wasted due to United Airlines archaic computer system (it is actually Continentals archaic system. They downgraded from their previous system to avoid paying royalties to previous system software company, the one that worked!). I would highly recommend that anyone flying United to Australia go online and purchase the Australia ETA directly from Australia. While United is supposed to be able to do this upon checkin, their staff has not been properly trained in the older system, and that computer system obviously has multiple glitches. I will never fly United Airlines again. I don't blame the workers in this company. Culture is set by management at the highest levels. Customer service is obviously not in the top 5 priorities of the company. Perhaps they should become a cargo hauler only.

• Ad
    Adam Aug 19, 2016

I mistakenly left an expensive scarf on United Airlines flight 347 from LAX to BOS on Sunday, December 5, 2010. I called within an hour of the flight's arrival time and reported it (which took about an hour on the phone to finally get a human to help me). I called 5 times, to their useless "lost and found" number, which only referred you to an online site. I reported it 3 times on the online site. I got absolutely no response from anyone, human or email. It is readily apparent that UNITED AIRLINES AND ITS PERSONNEL ARE DISHONEST AND STEAL ANYTHING THAT YOU ARE UNFORTUNATE ENOUGH TO LEAVE ON THEIR PLANES. Your "lost" is their "kept".

• Me
    Melanie Aug 19, 2016

I was kind enough to bump off a flight that United Airlines had overbooked. I sat in the airport quite a few hours waiting for the next flight. I have not used my voucher yet and now we have an emergency where I need to use it. When I agreed to be bumped I did not know about the ticket until after I bumped for them or the 14 days waiting period to use this voucher. Now United is telling me that they can not make an exception! Oh, but I can buy an emergency ticket for under $500.00. I don't think that they will ever have to worry. I will never fly this airline again. I work for a company which employees 4, 000 employees which we have used United Airlines as our main airline (after I talked them into it because they had better connections than Delta). Well Delta here we come again! I have called the reservation line [protected]) they said they could not reserve a seat for 14 days, they transferred me (after putting me on hold and disconnecting me 3 times) to customer relations [protected]). Customer relations then told me that the reservations line could make an exception. When calling reservations back again and informing them of this they would not budge. Well no wonder airlines are going broke. With this kind of service who wants to use them? What ever happened to the old saying 'One kind deed deserves another?' I think it went out the window with all the jobs of the American People.

• Da
    dave Aug 19, 2016

I was told by a United customer service person that I could change my flights to a different date, she even gave me a reservation number and all of the flight details. On the basis of this I booking I made reservations for a number of other flights in Australia and from Australia to LA. After driving 150 miles to the nearest airport to get the tickets reissued they siad that the ticket rules did not allow the change and they would not honor the reservation. I had to cancel all of my other flights at a cost of $450 USD and in all of my calls to United they said they will not claim any responsibility for giving me false information and it was my fault for not knowing the ticket rules. Do yourself a favor pay a little extra if you have to and go with other airlines, if anything goes wrong you will pay many times the savings you might make on a ticket with United over another carrier.