Tesco Malaysiaovercharged / inconsistent price tags / rude and arrogant customer service staff

F

My visit to your branch last Saturday 13 August 2016 was a most unpleasant one. I already wrote in 1 complaint to the store manager @ Tesco Paradigm Mall (Malaysia) and 1 to Tesco Malaysia website on Saturday itself, 1 on social media, but have received zero response so far.

Firstly, I was over charged for my purchase. I promptly went back to double check on the prices and snapped a picture of the price tag with my handphone. Then I went to your customer service counter. An Indian lady and a young Malay man was on duty.

I was initially attended by the Indian lady. I showed 2 items I thought I was over charged for; a muffin and a box of grapes. I showed them the items, my receipt and the pictures of the prices on my phone. I guess the Indian lady was new as she kept consulting the Malay man who told me the price of the grapes "dah naik harga (price went up)" from RM9.39 (price show on tag) to RM12.49 (price I paid for) because "ini peraturan kerajaan (this is government law)". I demurred as what has the kerajaan (government) to do with this mistake and how can you put a price tag on an item for sale, but charge another amount without informing the customer? This is misleading and not adhering to consumer rights law!

Then I told him if the price went up, Tesco MUST update the price tag and not mislead customers. His reply was "ini peraturan baru. Kita tak boleh simply nak update price. Kena tunggu email/memo". (This is new law. We cannot simple update the price. We have to wait for email / memorandum). He then had the cheek to ask me to go back to the place where I found my items to double check on the price again! At this point I was really cheesed off. I brought my purchases to you. I showed you my receipt. I showed you pictures of the price tags. Shouldn't you as Tesco staff go and check to make sure it's correct?? I told him "You should go and check! I cannot do your job for you!"

The he told the Indian lady to go and check because "Benda cam ni yang buat saya angin ni! (These kind of things makes me pissed off!) " He raised his voice and was showing his displeasure.

I said what do you mean? Your price is wrong what. You cannot just say peraturan kerajaan (government law) and expect me to be OK and just pay the price difference!

Are you ready for his finale?

"So sekarang nak refund ke ape! Ni nak tak?? Kalau refund no problem! Jangan buat bising di sini! (So do you want a refund now? If you want a refund, no problem. Don't make noise here!)"

I said It's not just about the RM2++ refund. It's the principle behind it! This is false advertising! You cannot just say peraturan kerajaan and prople are expected to accept. This is not just about the money bit anymore.

Sometime this point the Indian lady came back from her check and yes, I was indeed overcharged for the grapes. Regarding the muffin, she claimed there was another price tag saying a different price that I didn't see. He refunded me the balance without an apology or even looked at me.

I went to look for the manager to make a complaint and I was told HE WAS the supervisor in charge! After a while I found another store manager whom I spoke to. I also wrote in an official complaint. In the heat of the moment, I did not get his name. But if Tesco were to investigate, you should easily find out who was on duty today at approximately 545pm. Your customer service guy was wearing a pink short sleeved shirt. Check the CCTV if need be. I hope you manage to record the sound as well.

I ask Tesco Malaysia this:

1. Price tag mistakes happen at Tesco all the time, yes or no?

2. How are the customer service officers trained to respond to complaints like these? Is "kerajaan naik harga dan kita tak boleh simply update" one of the standard responses? Is it even a logical response?

3. Being in the wrong, as any human being, shouldn't you be humble about it and apologize especially since IT IS proven you are in the wrong?

I guess the most shocking discovery to me was that someone so rude and arrogant as he could be in customer service. He wasnt just rude to me, he was also rude to his lady colleague during the exchange. He is THE FACE OF TESCO PARADIGM MALL and clearly, he hates his job.

I hope for the betterment of your esteemed establishment, you relook into staff training and job delegation as who you allow to front your business is very important.

In short, I was overcharged and got scolded because I asked for a refund! Aside from his apologies, your store manager could not offer me any explanantion so he didn't. He has promised to forward my complaint to his "big boss" but I have decided to write in on my own again. Let's see if TESCO' Malaysia's "Because we care" slogan really rings true.

What I expect is an explanation, an apology and an assurance that this will not happen again in the future.

• Al
    Alex Chin Jan 06, 2017

Hi Fibbles did your complaint handled?

• Fi
    Fibbles Sep 05, 2016

I already did. No response so far. :(
    Any advice is appreciated.I

jonbbbnnbbbbnnbbb Sep 03, 2016

With all the paper evidence, please forward your complain to Tribunal Pengguna.