Complaints & Reviews

Questionable Business Ethics

Terminix is all about the bottom line: MONEY. Here are some examples:
* As a former service manager, I can tell you that pesticides are rationed according to how well the branch is doing financially (so, for example, many times your pest control technician doesn't have enough pesticides to properly treat your problem because it's not cost effective for the branch to buy the stuff)
* It's all about dollars per hour. Every single morning, the branch manager meets with his service managers about how the pest control technicians did the previous day in terms of time spent on service calls vs. dollars earned. If a technician spends too much time at your house, the managers will know it. When I was a manager, we wanted to see a technician spend no more than 15 minutes per service call. This, of course, is not at all sufficient. It takes at least 15 minutes just to inspect the premises for pest problems, let alone treating any infestations
* The technicians are improperly trained. There is such a high rate of technician turnover at Terminix that new employees are rushed through the pest control and safety "training". This mainly consists of watching a bunch of videos. Then, the new technicians will be tutored on exactly what is on the pest control certification test required by the state. They will be taught, in essence, how to beat the test but they won't really know anything about pest control when it's over. A popular saying among Terminix service managers is that their pest control technicians take the "spray and pray" approach to pest control. You don't want that. You want someone who knows how to identify pests and their behaviors before determining the best way to get rid of them.
* Termite sales people are taught how to mislead you, scare you, and otherwise suggest that you have termites in order to get you to pay large amounts of money to treat the "termite infestation" that you allegedly have. If a Terminix sales person says you have termites, call a second company and tell them that Terminix said that you have termites and you want another opinion. The second company will likely tell you the truth if Terminix is lying- mainly because every pest control company hates Terminix. We used to have sales people that took live termites to people's houses, hidden in a jar, and show then show them to the customer as proof that they had a problem. Totally unethical.
* Don't buy the Sentricon termite bait stations. It's a waste of money and it is not at all effective. They do not draw termites to them- the only termites that get in there are the ones that happen to be burrowing right near the bait stations. Other termites could just as easily be drawn to the wood of your house. It's a scam.
* Always - ALWAYS - be home when Terminix pays you a service call. They will try to convince you to take the service when you're not home. Don't let them. The technician will come there, do nothing, sign the paperwork and put it in your door.
* When you cancel your account, get it in writing. If necessary, drive to the branch location and make the customer service rep give you a copy of the canceled contract. Terminix is notorious for continuing service, saying it was a misunderstanding, and then sending you to collection when you refuse to pay for service that you did not want because you had already been assured that your account was cancelled.
* Area managers and Branch managers are encouraged, and shown how to, refuse to compensate you for any damages your house incurs from termites- even though you are supposedly covered under their "guarantee".

In short, Terminix is not only the most unethical company I have ever had the displeasure of working for, but they are well known to their competitors in the pest control industry as being the most underhanded company out there. STAY FAR, FAR AWAY

Rude service

We (my family) currently use Terminix in Texas at our family vacation home, and we are happy with the technician and the service. My husband and I recently scheduled an appointment in California at our home.

When I contacted Terminix initially, I advised them that we were having problems with ants, and another bug common to the area, known as a “wind spider.” The “wind spiders” have been on the ground and on the exterior walls of the house. Since one of the “wind spiders” found its way into our bedroom, we decided to call and have our home treated. Terminix advised me that they employed entomologists, and that their field technicians were very knowledgeable. Terminix stressed “customized solutions.”

When the technician (Jason) arrived he seemed hurried and asked what bugs we were having problems with? We explained the problem with the ants and the bug “wind spider.” He said he could spray for ants and said, “I have been doing this a long time…I haven’t heard of that other one.” I told him ants weren’t the biggest problem, they were equal to the problem with the “wind spider.” I told him Terminix ensured that the technician would know how to treat the bugs. I further informed him that prior to his arrival, I used Google to research the name “wind spider” and hundreds of photographs and information were available. He said, “Terminix will promise you the world...but in reality we get out here and it’s a different story.” He didn’t have any interest in figuring out how to rid our property of this insect.

I then told him Terminix uses some sort of a gel based solution to kill the bugs and scorpions in Texas and asked him if he knew about that solution, since it might be able to be used for this “wind spider.” He said, “I don’t know what they are doing in Dallas!” Our home is not in Dallas and this is just another example of his poor attitude and representation of Terminix.

At that point we weren’t willing to sign a yearlong contract, or even have the technician treat the house at all.

I called Terminix on the toll free number after he left, to complain about the service and the technician. I was informed that his direct supervisors were either Randy or Ron. Terminix said they would leave a message for his supervisors. Since I did not get a call back on Monday, I called Terminix back on Tuesday October 5th. I left another similar message. On Thursday October 7th I called Terminix again since I had not yet received a call. On Friday Ron called me and I spoke to him about the incident.

Unfortunately you have an employee that is poor representation of Terminix.

Ironically later in the day on the Saturday that your technician was at our house, I met an exterminator at a local gas station. He was in his work truck with the name of his company on the side. I asked him if he had a business card and asked him if he knew what a “wind spider” was. He said that indeed he did.

• Co
    Consumers Take Care Nov 10, 2010

yes, I just got off the phone with Terminix, the local Palestine, TX office to complain about a constant harrassment for an invoice of $146.14 for service never provided. The girl in billing was rude and sarcastic; obviously she is used to getting away with her attitude. I asked for her supervisor, she put me on hold and got back 4 minutes later saying she wasn't available. When I asked for the name of the boss, she snapped his name out to me. Of course she said she was not obligated to provide her full name for me to make a complaint.
    I cancelled their service over 6 months ago becasue they never show up, they do a horrible job and when I didn't want to renew a termite contract, they had an 800 number call me 2 times a day non-stop telling me I need to renew. Even after getting someone on the phone from the call center and asking them to please discontinue calling me, the calls just kept coming. I would not recommend Terminix to a dog that had fleas, let alone someone with a property of 5 major structures such as mine. Hooray for the bugs and spiders! If you have Terminix from Palestine, Texas; they are some happy bugs knowing that they will always win.

• Ne
    never again Mar 13, 2011

Unfortunately this bad attitude with "jason" is more the norm for Terminix. I know, I was employed there for 2 horrible years. The salesmen don't communicate with the technicians, ad 98% of the time when I got to a customers home the resident would say "Well the salesman said you were going to do ..." (fill in the blank). We never had the proper equipment such as ladders, drills, etc to do the new start properly. There was also little to no training of techs. Their school of training was to have the new guy "ride" with a tech, ANY tech for a week, then tah dah!!! The new guy would be "signed off" and then assigned his or her own route. Dont be so hard on the tech. Its because of those corporate snobs at "Service the Master" that are greedy and don't want to spend any money to do the training, supply the proper equipment, or to do the job right in the first place. After seeing this kind of ### happen for 2 long years and seeing the customers get cheated, I finally walked out. I went to work for another exterminating company that did everything to make their employees happy. That in turn would make the employees want to provide good service and take care of the customers. Avoid Terminix, ServiceMaster, Merry Maids, Tru-Green Chemlawn, and American Home Shield at all costs. Service"the"Master owns all of them. The service from all of these companies I listed here are as bad if not worse for customer service for Terminix. I tried to use Chemlawn on more than one occasion, and thie service was worse than poor...I was stood up numerous times, and one time when I was stood up, I called them, and it turned out that the tech who had a confirmed appt at my home for 5:30 pm not only stood me up, but he had shoved my invoice under his truck seat, and told the manager he was done for the day. Pretty sad, when the manger has to tell the customerthat the tech lied and shoved your service invoice UNDER the seat. They found it there when they inspected his vehicle.

• 12
    12345po Dec 12, 2011

Horrible cumstomer service. Used them for 5 years and their guys were great until lately but the customer service was horrible. Don't expect call backs or proper service. They sent a man to my house over and over after I asked for him to stay away. He was rude and did not complete his work ever. Don't trust them.

Rip off

Teminix costs me 13, 600 for treatment that was not needed. The State inspector said "overkill" for the problem I had. In order to sell the house this is what I had to pay. Should have killed the deal instead. Two other pest companies looked at my house and give me solutions that were a fraction of the cost but the buyer would not consider them. All realtors and sellers stay clear of Teminix if you want a true report and not one thats going to cost you big money. I will never us Teminix for any of my properties and you should not either.

Jayson May 25, 2010

The Terminix's representative gave me a quote for TAP insulation and installation of automatic vents ($150 per vent), and with two minuscule-size attic spaces the price rocketed to $1, 900. Automatic vents are ranging in price from $19-70. The exactly same vents with life-time warranty from another supplier are priced at $40. Terminix claims high price resulted from their life-time warranty added to the manufacturer’s one year – regardless of the customer’s will to pay for it! Terminix over-charged at least $400 only on the vents. My letters to the company's headquarter remain unanswered.

markdionisia Sep 26, 2013

Their technicians are sorry and do an awful job. They overcharge and if you enter into an annual plan, and then you cancel your card, they won't come (which is fine) but then they will put it on your credit report.

Anthony Karber Dec 21, 2016

Terminix are a rip off company, I called them because my daughter saw a mouse in our basement, the guy came and laid 4 mice traps I could get at home depot for $5.00 and they billed me for a ridiculous amount of $168.00 or something and I called the next day and cancelled my service with them. The came out several months later and claimed they treated the outside of my house without my knowledge or authorization and then billed me $92.00 which I refused to pay and they now have it on my credit report so I am going to report them to the BBB and take them to court.

Poor service, don't use them

I really wish I had checked out this webiste before signing a contract with Terminix. The previous comments were exactly what I have experienced. They really do not care about the customers and I am so sorry to have wasted my money for...missed/no show appointments, poor customer service on the phone, and generally the worst service ever!

The technicians do not show up when scheduled and since I still have seen all kinds of bugs, I do not believe they have ever applied any chemicals to my home to treat for pests.Going now to look for a new pest company!

• Ha
    hateTMX Oct 14, 2011

Did you know that Terminix doesn't like paying overtime?????
    I used to work more than 60 hours per week as a tech and will never be compensated reasonably for overtime.
    They want to control the time every tech is in the stop and will literally write you off if you spend more time with a customer.
    Funny thing is that they will overbook your day and expect you to work only 8 hours.
    I am so glad I dont work for these sharks any more!!!

Never ever sign-up for this service

Never ever sign-up for this service. This whole thing, as I perceive it, is a big scam. This is how they tricked me and I am sure I am not alone:

Door-to-door sales man comes up to your door. Misinforms you about the contract (vis-à-vis can be canceled anytime if you are not happy). If you go by his words and not careful enough to read the contract and signed it, you have shot yourself in the foot. Then starts their crappy services, for which they would not even inform you prior to coming. After one year and few hundred dollars wasted, we still see ants all over our kitchen. Their free termite inspection is one of the biggest lies I have ever encountered. They scheduled for the inspection three times and never showed up. Well, needless to say, I am no more their customer and they dare not come to my door step in the future. Just one world for you all...Be aware of Terminix.

• Te
    terminix a ripoff Jun 02, 2011

I was recently "let go" from Terminix simply because I didn't sell enough. My customers loved me, never rec'd any complaints, always completed my route 95% or greater, and collected well each month. But because I didn't sell 2-3000$ worth of overpriced and oftentimes totally unnecessary products and/or services every month they had to let me go. While I did in fact sell (usually at least 500 -1000$/month but sometimes well over the 2000$/month "goal"), my numbers apparently weren't good enough. Trust me, you are far better off with a locally owned pest company that doesn't offer all the other products/services and force their service techs to sell. Or better yet, go to doityourselfpestcontrol.com and you can get the exact same products that I used as a tech.
    Do the math: On average, the yearly cost for pest control with Terminix is $300.00 (75$ every 3 months). Go to doit yourselfpestcontrol.com and spend 50-100$ and you will have enough product to last you 2 - 3 years.
    terminix pest control for 3 years =$900.00
    doityourselfpestcontrol.com for 3 years = $50-100.00
    And if you do go with Terminix, pray that your service tech (pmp) actually gives enough of a rat's fanny to provide a good service, because believe me, plenty of them do not. Just a little information and common sense is all anyone needs to take care of their pest problem. There are plenty of avenues one can use to gain necessary info to treat their home correctly, without having to pay dearly.
    Obviously I'm not happy with the way I was let go, but the above points reflect the way I've felt for quite some time. I was with the company over two years, and I developed a lot of good relationships with many of my customers. I can honestly say that I treated my customers the way I would expect to be treated, and tried to treat their homes like each was my own. In the two + years I was there, I did see a lot of questionable ethics. And nearly all of these situations revolved around money. Sell, Sell, Sell!! was the mantra.
    Do yourself a favor, think twice about dealing with the big companies. Like every other large corporation, it's all about the almighty dollar.

Poor service

Terminix never returned our request to schedule an inspection. No call of ours was ever returned. Their website doesn't provide with e-mail correspondence. What is their problem?

• Ro
    rottenwood rottenservice May 28, 2012

I have a contract with Terminix for 3 years. I called to tell them I had termite damage 2 years into the contract to let them know I found termite damage and was concerned, I wanted to find out what to do. I am still waiting for a call back after 2 weeks and 14 phone calls. so far it has cost me 3500 dollars to repair the damage I saw with a naked eye !!!

I am writing this complaint regarding Terminix International/Registration NO. PR 0801/Company Address: 9880...

Can't stop sending me junkmail

For the past 4 years this pathetic company has been bombarding my mailbox with their junk mail solicitations. These start every spring and continue EVERY week throughout the summer. I have filed complaints against them with the BBB. I have filed complaints against them with the Tenn. AG's office, I have called them, I have faxed them and yet the junk continues. I would never give even a second's thought to hiring this disgusting company, nor would I ever recommend ANYONE else use them or their parent company Servicemaster to so much as tie your shoes.

Negligence

Our house was fumigated by Terminix. Upon returning after it was deemed safe to enter, we found the back door wide open. We later discovered that we had been burglarized with loss of a significant amount of jewelry. There was no evidenced of forced entry anywhere (including the door). We were so disappointed that the door was left open for just about anybody to walk in. We had entrusted our house to this company. I would warn anybody that is going to fumigate to keep your housekeys. You can open the doors and be there when the tent goes on and (especially) when it comes off and "airs out" for 5 hours. I will never, ever entrust my keys to anybody that I don't know, even if they are a reputable company.

• Ne
    never again Mar 13, 2011

It is a good idea to have a security guard at the property when a tent fume is performed. Mainly to keep curious folks OUT, and to avoid being burglarised. I am surprised that the company did not provide his security service???

Beware

I was visiting my parents at Christmas, and on the 26, Terminix sent out one of their "licensed inspectors" (the words of the agent) to look for termites.

She entered the house, went upstairs and looked in the infirmary where my bedridden(she has MS) aunt lives. There were some wood chips and dust on the floor along the floorboards, and she told us that they were termite droppings. She then stuck her head in the attick for 10 seconds(seriously), and immediately told us that "ooohhh yeah.. you guys have termites. There are lots of droppings up here." She close the attick, climbed down the ladder and took my parents downstairs where she began to fill out an invoice for tenting. When we asked her about alternatives to tenting, she told us that spot treatments dont work, and that if in order to try them, we'd have to "rip open the entire wall, and it would cost even more than the tenting would". She then proceeded to give my parents some doomsday crap about how they needed to take care of this immediately, and blah, blah.

She seemed suspect to me(especially with a $2, 500 invoice in front of her), and so I pressed her for more information, and demanded that she go back up to the attick and get me some evidence of the termites that she was so sure were there. She went back up, and turned and searched and searched some more before she swept some dust off onto the paper towl, telling me that what she'd handed me were termite droppings. I was even more suspicious.

I told her that she could leave, got in my car, and drove down to the office that she came from. I presented the "evidence" to her manager and another inspector who assured me that the dust and wood on the cloth had absolutely nothing to do with termites. They sent out another inspector the next day who again confirmed.. there was no termite evidence.

Make no mistake, she came to my elderly parents house with the intention of scamming them out of their money, and after her doomsday speak and hard sales pitch, they would have signed that invoice if I hadn't been there. They would have had to move out during Christmas, find a home for my involent aunt to live in during that time, and even with knowing all this, she still sat at their kicthen table and lied to our faces about the existence of termites.

Was it an isolated event? Not a chance. In fact, that same inspector told me that she had a bunch of other customers who were moving out for tenting during the next week.. during the holidays! AVOID TERMINIX IN SANTA MARIA AT ALL COSTS. They employ an inspector who I believe was named Andrea that will scam your family with no regards for the upset and problems that her lies and scams may cause. She's about 5'4", 200 lbs, and around 35 years in age. Beware!

• TUMF Jan 27, 2015

I'm happy that you were there to double - even triple - check her 'work' ethics... that she obvious has none of.
    As you said, had you not been there, your parents would have been the victim of her unethical antics.
    I can only hope that when her day comes, she has to answer to such ruthless actions and is then held accountable.
    Not that it would do your parents (or anyone else that she wronged) any good, but still...

bad layoff

I was a manager that worked 7 days a week 10 hours or more a day, to bring a falling business unit from closing its doors to making more profit than it ever has in years. Then shortly after i get laid off a few days before christmas. I was not given my year end bonus that i deserved. I was not given my vacation that i had more than two weeks worth.

treatments do not work

Terminix began "treating" our ant problem in June 2008. The very week that they were out here, our ant...

Odessa Home & Garden

Resolved Terrible experience

For the last 6 months I have been living in a Structurally unsafe house, (and still do), caused by the fraudulent practices of this Company, I could write a book on this whole experience, though for now a few sentences may hopefully sum up this nightmare.

I find some minor damage to my baseboard in two separate areas of the house, I'm talking about $100 in cosmetic damage, it's a conc. block house built in 1953, so I don't worry too much once I paid them $1, 000.00 to deal with it, they came, they drilled, they pumped and poured (or so I thought, I was not here when they did it), they did nothing to the inside of the house), and 9 months later I find that my only wooden stud load bearing wall which holds up a large part of the roof has been totally destroyed by Termites, prior to that they swarmed all over the house at night time, in my hair, in my bed in my clothes, truly disgusting.

They have done in excess of $20, 000.00 of damage, consuming all the baseboard throughout the house, all the door casings, three doors, and all the vertical 2x4 studs, my house is being held up by two steel shorings, Terminix admit liability though their insurance adjuster said the damage is only $4, 000.00 and that's all they will pay, no allowances for building permits, building inspections, or a structural survey.

I hired a consultant to help me, that was my last $3, 000.00, Terminix too great pleasure in telling me that they had know the Consultant for years (well you get the picture), so think I'm in a hole here, don't know how to get out of it.

• Ka
    Kathie Smith Apr 30, 2013

I think showing the commercials "Termites are monsters" are not age appropriate for preschoolers and early grade students during "prime time". The picture of the termite is too graphic and the phraseology is scary for young children. It is hard enough to get the image of the termites out of their heads let alone the phrase "termites are monsters". As you know, kids will stop everything they are doing to see the commercials and I just feel that these commercials need to be viewed at a later time.

Resolved Poor customer service

Service is terrible they tell you they will call you and never do. I spent $1, 500.00 for termite service, on...

Resolved Most disgusting TV commercial

I have no idea if Terminix is a good pest control service or not, but the commercial now showing on TV which shows a termite crawling out of Ben Franklin's eye (on a $100 bill) is the most stomach-turning I have ever seen. I believe that they could make the point that termite infestations cost money without that bug-eating-eyeball image--who made this commercial--a teen-aged boy overdosed on horror movies? I doubt if that is the target audience for Terminix services. It certainly would make me avoid them for all time just based on a lack of common decency.

• St
    Stevie I. Jun 15, 2011

Jeez, y'all are WAY too squeamish. An insect eating paper is "stomach-churning"? What's next, the "gross-out police" issuing tickets for offending people with bugs? GIMMEE A BREAK! "Common decency"? You act like the commercial had child pornography or sadistic necrophilia in it. It's just a freakin' insect and a piece of paper. If it was maggots eating a real human eyeball, you might have a point, but it's just paper money, not an eyeball. How ludicrous to claim it is some kind of "moral" issue! Grow up. How sheltered and sterile a life can one live? Do you cry in horror and call the cops when some roadkill rots and gets eaten by fly larvae (maggots) and vultures? That's a little closer to "stomach churning" for the average person than an insect on TV eating paper, yet it's a fact of life and nature. and gross as it is, does not send people on a crusade.
    Some people ARE truly creeped-out by insects & other pests way beyond rationality, like the cartoon women who stand on a chair screaming when they see a tiny mouse, like it's gonna grow wings and rattlesnake fangs and suddenly leap up and rip out their throat. It's totally irrational, but nonetheless a common phobia. Should we ban commercials with rooftop views to avoid offending people who are afraid of heights? Ban crowd scenes to "protect" the agoraphobics? Like anything else on TV, if you're so offended, change the channel or look away for the 30 seconds, don't mount a campaign against the company. Their business is to sell exterminating services in a competitive field, so to most rational people a little something "gross" just gets their attention and makes the commercial memorable. That's one of advertisings main goals, to stand out in a sea of competition. Ditto for the Orkin commercials. Are y'all going to raise a stink about their commercials with the human-sized rats next? To most rational people they're pretty funny. If you're so easily offended, stick to the Disney channel and go live someplace with no insects. I hear Siberia doesn't have too many scary insects.

• Mi
    Mikell77 May 27, 2017

Hi,
    It is one of your commercials. I see on Fox News and other channels, it starts out with termites bunch up on a tree on an open stump. Then they gather up into a swarm flying away looking like flying whitish pus making a revolting sound in the air. It feels the swarm of pus flying out my TV forming living pus mass on my face, dripping down to my chin. As I am watching your revolting termites’ commercial. if you guys can see fit, please pull it off the air, for I would be very grateful, Michael Diamond

• Su
    SunshineRainbow Bright May 30, 2017

My daughters and I both find the commercial with the termites coming out of the tree disgusting and the sound gives us the creeps. Please remove the commercial from off of Tv. It makes us almost break out in hives.

• Su
    SunshineRainbow Bright May 30, 2017

The channel is 13-2 the Justice Network in Hampton Rds Va...Please Please Remove it.

Dissatisfied with Terminix service

This is a recent email I sent to Terminix - I am disappointed that during this past year no progress ha...