TCF Bank / TCF Financial Corporation Logo

TCF Bank / TCF Financial Corporation

Having problems with TCF Bank / TCF Financial Corporation?

1800 823 2265 (Phone Banking)
1800 823 5363 (Consumer Loans)
+1 612 823 2265 (Phone Banking)
+1 612 823 5363 (Consumer Loans)
+1 888 810 8860 (Auto Finance)
+1 866 202 2736 (TCF Investments)
+1 612 334 7900 (TCF Investments)
+1 800 343 6145 (TTY (Hearing Impaired)
+1 612 333 2722 (Treasury Management)
+1 877 784 8239 (Treasury Management)
+1 952 512 6394 (Lending Needs)
+1 866 835 5044 (Loan Servicing)
+1 866 311 2755 (TCF Equipment Finance)
+1 800 843 8264 (Winthrop Resources)
+1 877 872 8234 (TCF Inventory Finance (United States)
+1 877 800 4430 (TCF Inventory Finance, Canada)
1405 Xenium Lane North
Plymouth, Minnesota

Complaints & Reviews

overcharged

I've been a customer of TCF Bank for a couple of years now and have had a lot of overdraft fee issues. I thought they must have been my fault for miscalculating and not knowing how transactions post, but yesterday I found out that TCF Bank has been ripping me off the whole time.

On Feb. 12 my account balance was $205.14. I made four purchases totaling $45.23 bringing my account balance to $159.91. The same night I checked my account balance online and noticed an ACH transaction pending for $200 after the purchases that I made earlier that day. So I recorded the ACH transaction in my register and brought down my balance to -$40.09. I subtracted a $35 NSF fee amount because that's what the bank charges for overdrawing the account. My final account balance was -$75.09.

Yesterday, Feb. 15, 2009 I went to a TCF Bank and deposited $160.00 to my account to make it current and have a balance of $84.91. However, when I got the deposit receipt I noticed that it stated a -$20.09 balance. I was confused about what was going on. As soon as I got home I checked my account online and noticed that I had been charged $140.00 of NSF fees for the transactions that I had made on Feb. 12, 2009 before the actual transaction of $200 that had made my account negative.

I called TCF Bank and spoke to a man named Sebastian who told me that the reason why I had been charged the NSF fees for the other transactions even though I did have money in the account at the time was because TCF Bank posts the transactions from greatest to smallest, even though they weren't made in that order. He said the reason why the bank did this was because they want to pay off the more 'SIGNIFICANT' amounts first like car payments, mortgage payments, etc., so it would be less inconvenient for the customer.

But to me, this method IS inconvenient and they are not being fair or ethical. They charge the customer various NSF fees by manipulating the order the transactions post. I know Bank of America got in trouble for the same thing and TCF bank should suffer the same consequences as BOA.

• Gu
    guy10782 Apr 24, 2009

its perfectly legal, it was probably in a disclosure you received (but never read) when you opened the account. Plus if you only write checks when you have money in your account you should have nothing to worry about. blame yourself for spending money you didnt have instead of blaming the bank.

• Ro
    Roxanne Tulloch Sep 25, 2009

I understand i was in that same situation tcf bank charge me a total of $175 in fees and that is not right, tcf is taking advantage of us the tax payers when we just bail them out. That is okay they will fail again because the banks are so foolish. the president should have let them fail.

fraud

I have had TCF National Bank for several years now including all of my business accounts. I have had some minor issues here and there and they have been generally good at resolving them. This is NOT the case when there is fraudulent activity on your account. Several days ago I noticed unauthorized charges on my TCF.com online statement. I immediately called in and the rep told me that I would need to fax in a fraud report. We then went into the details of my account and by that time 8 legitimate purchases I had made were now overdraft fees. The rep informed me that they would be credited back to me after the investigation was complete. He told me to wait 10 (ten) business days.

Because the fraudulent activity cleaned out my account I have now reached over -$390 in overdraft fees. I asked to see if there was a way to expedite this and he said no. I faxed in the paperwork and called the fraud dept 2 days later (they claim all requests are processed within 48 hours so they will show in the system). The rep I spoke with was kind of rude and told me that I have not shown up in the system in two days. Additionally she told me that it usually takes 3-5 days to show up and it can be 10 days after that before I receive a response!

I, like every other person on earth have bills. I informed them that I need my money to pay my bills and their answer is "sorry, nothing we can do". "Wait 10 days". I have constantly asked to speak with supervisors and the same result. Sorry. Can't do anything. I tried to email them to let them know that I can't even get anyone helpful and they don't respond to email! I looked for a corporate number with no suck luck.

Currently TCF National Bank believes it's OK to charge customers overdraft fees because of fraudulent transactions. TCF also believes that terrible customer communication is OK. It is also their policy to wait up to THREE WEEKS before giving you your money back. I can't even wait until this is resolved... im sure they will jack up the overdraft fees too.

I have contacted them several times and if I receive a legitimate resolution this will disappear. Until then, the world needs to know what kind of crap they are pulling.

holding money hostage

On Saturday 3/21/09 I called Northwest Airlines to book a flight. I was quoted a price by the NWS agent which was agreeable so I authorized the purchase using my TCF Visa check card. I was told I had until midnight on 4/22/09 to cancel should I choose.

On Sunday 3/22/09 I look at my TCF account online and there is the flight purchase with $20 direct booking agent fee but there is also an additional $75 charge added by Northwest that was not discussed during the reservation conversation. I called NWA to find out what the deal was and they explained that it was a miles redemption fee because a flight less than 21 days in advance. I explained that I was not informed of this on the phone or I would have never wasted my miles on a domestic flight with this high of a charge added. They apologized and said the agent should have mentioned it and canceled the reservation for me, saying that a credit has been issued back to the card.

Monday comes then Tuesday and still no pending credit showing on my TCF account. Tuesday afternoon I call TCF to inquire about it and they said there is no credit showing in their system and the only thing they can do is wait for the merchant to send them the credit. They suggested I call NWA back.

I call NWA back and they assure me a credit was issued back on the card on Sunday 3/22/09. They said that if it's not showing on my account yet, that I would need to talk to my bank because it's in their hands.

I call TCF back right away and tell them what NWA said. The TCF customer service agent begins her scripted answer, saying, "It can take up to 10 days for a credit to post back to your account and until the merchant issues that credit, there is nothing we can do." I explain that the merchant did issue the credit electronically so there should be something showing in someone's system somewhere. If not in TCF's system, then surely it must be showing in the system of the contracted credit card company that provides their customers their TCF Visa check card. As if I had never spoken, they repeat the same story they gave me the first time, that it can take up to 10 days. I finally got frustrated and decided to give it another day to see if something would show pending on Wednesday.

Wednesday 3/25/09 - Still no pending credit showing. I call TCF again and ask if there is anything pending, they say no. I went through the story again with the agent and this tells me that it normally takes up to 5 days for a credit to be issued. I asked if there was some way to contact their contracted credit card company (which is no great secret to most educated people although TCF likes to pretend it's their card) to see if they're showing a credit being issued by NWA ? She says "No, there was no way to do that." I began to argue with her because I know perfectly well that someone there at TCF has an 800 number for the contracted credit card company to look in their system for a transaction being processed that involves my card number and Northwest Airlines. She insists this is not possible saying there was no number to call and that I will just have to wait the 5 days to see if it shows up. If it doesn't, she says I will have to call NWA back, apparently starting this whole process over again. I said this is not acceptable and the call was escalated to someone supposedly above her.

This next woman begins the conversation by telling me it can take 30 days for a credit to post to an account and it all depends on the merchant. Now it's gone from 5 days to 30?!! I tell her, "All I'm asking for, is for her or someone at TCF to call the credit card company and find out if it's in process so I can know who exactly I need to put pressure on to be accountable for this mistake." She said then starts to argue that it's only been 24 hours since the credit was issued and says "It's too soon, no one will have a record of it. " What?! I ask, "How is that possible if NWA issued this credit electronically, then it's in someone's system somewhere. It's not as if they're waiting on paper mail!" She continues to say, "That's not the way it works, sir." and goes through her story again, insisting that it depends on the merchant. She then starts throwing out longer amounts of time at me, mentioning "months" for this to possibly be resolved and that's when I tuned out.

I tell her, "So basically, I'm screwed until somehow somewhere the money miraculously appears back in my account". And she said, "Yes, that's basically it." I then explained that I thought she was lying to me about not being able to verify this credit and that I would take it up with someone in person at TCF and hung up the phone.

How is this okay that TCF can refuse to provide a logical explanation or at least offer some course of action other than, "You'll just have to wait and see?" If someone walked up to me on the street and took $75 out of my pocket, I could have that person arrested. Why is TCF any different?

M. Watts

• Mw
    MWatts Mar 25, 2009

This was my first time submitting a complaint on this site and didn't realize I couldn't edit. Whoops! Sorry about that but you get the gist.

Thanks.

MWatts

customer service/antiquated system

Opened account on 2/27/09 Received checks 4 business days later. 10 business days later I recieved debit...

manipulates posting of trnasactions resulting in outrageous overdraft fees

On Feb. 12 my account balance was $205.14. I made four purchases totaling $45.23 bringing my account balance to $159.91. The same night I checked my account balance online and noticed an ACH transaction pending for $200 after the purchases that I made earlier that day. So I recorded the ACH transaction in my register and brought down my balance to -$40.09. I subtracted a $35 NSF fee amount because that's what the bank charges for overdrafing the account. My final account balnace was -$75.09. Yesterday, Feb. 15, 2009 I went to a TCF Bank and deposited $160.00 to my acoount to make it current and have a balance of $84.91. However, when I got the deposit receipt I noticed that it stated a -$20.09 balance. I was confused about what was going on. As soon as I got home I checked my account online and noticed that I had been charged $140.00 of NSF fees for the transactions that I had made on Feb. 12, 2009 before the actual transaction of $200 that had made my account negative.

I called TCF Bank and spoke to a man named Sebastian who told me that the reason why I had been charged the NSF fees for the other transacions even though I did have money in the account at the time was because TCF Bank posts the transactions from greatest to smallest, even though they weren't made in that order. He said the reason why the bank did this was because they want to pay off the more "SIGNIFICANT" amounts first like car payments, mortgage payments, etc., so it would be less inconvenient for the customer.

But to me, this method IS inconvinient and they are not being fair or ethical. They charge the customer various NSF fees by manipulating the order the transactions post. I know Bank of America got in trouble for the same thing and TCF bank should suffer the same consequences as BOA.

• Pr
    ProudTCFer Feb 22, 2009

Transactions normally take 1 to 3 days to post onto an account depending on the merchant. According to your timeline...the NSF's are legit. Do not blame a financial institution for your incapability to balance your check book. It is not TCF's fault that you did not deduct an AUTOMATIC ACH from your register.

• Ml
    MLupe07 Feb 23, 2009

PoudTCFer:

The fact that the bank posts transactions from greates to smallest caused me to be charged 4 NSF fees instead of 1. the AUTOMATIC ACH was pending after the transactions that I had done during the day, therefore it should had posted in the same order.

Jonnyrock Jun 17, 2009

TCF has done this to me.. 3 times over the last 6 weeks. I have never had a problem overdafting and i used to band out of state.. which caused longer posting times. Nope NOW its just a scam.. looking at when things are posted is comical that they can even get away with the ### they are pulling. Right now i have 6 NSF fees. ANd that is just the start... Leave this bank while you still can. They are a total scam! So is the "ProudTCmotherFer"

• Fr
    frieri423 Oct 08, 2009

I work there, and from what we are taught TCF apys the largest to smallest to avoid the return of large amounts which are usually the most important (I.E. mortgages, car payments, etc) !!

fraudulent charges

OK, so here goes. A few years ago I deposited a paycheck into my TCF bank account. No problem so far. THEN, I...

nsf fees/notification

I don't use this account often. I found that the 5 day hold on checks and the teller service to be very slow. So, I only pay a couple of small bills with the account. When I stopped a monthly draw with the account, there was some money left. I wrote a check over a month ago, deposited enough money to cover the check and still had a balance. The party held the check for almost a month, I was unaware of that. But, none the less, last week I used my ATM card to make some small purchases. My account balance was overdrawn by less than $10. They immediately hit me with a $35 overdraft fee. I bought a hamburger yesterday at Mc Donalds, with the overdraft fee, my balance was way over, it cost me another $35 in overdraft fees. I went online to check my balance today, less than a week after the initial NSF, and was shocked. I tried to call the branch, the phone numbers are not listed on the website. After going through numerous sources, I found the number and called. It was a fax number. I went online and called an 800 number and spoke with a customer service rep. She said they do not notify by email or any other way that you are overdrawn. So, being on Social Security as my income, I have to call my son, an active duty Marine, to ask for the extra $35 to cover my overdraft fees. I cannot close the account until I get the money from him. I am embarassed and angry. If they would have emailed me to let me know, and for less than $45 I could have avoided this and I wouldn't have used the card, now I have $70 (plus $7.45 and the cost of a hamburger) to come up with.
I would steer clear of this bank. The branch service was bad, and the fact that they don't let you know there is a problem with your account, so you could make it right.

• Br
    braedel Feb 03, 2009

I had the same thing happen. I had $170! NSF fees! for about $30 worth of purchases!
    The only way (according to their website) to avoid this is spend $35.00/yr on overdraft protection (if approved), or write to some P.O. Box to have them not authorize payments when your balance is $0. (They way 'real' banks to it by default!).

Stay clear of them if possible. I only had an account there because they don't charge to count your loose change; unlike the 'CoinStar' systems that take 7 to 12%.

Maverick2272 Sep 13, 2010

When we first opened our account here, we deposited money from our Harris account. Once the funds cleared, I paid my bills online. Next thing I knew they took the cleared funds and put them back on hold causing all of the bills to bounce. When we asked why, they said Harris had told them the check would not be honored. We asked Harris, they said no such report existed and they never said any such thing. When we pushed the issue and demanded to see the report, the TCF Branch Manager had us tossed out of the bank!
    Then the OD fees started, re-ordering transactions to cause you to bounce two and three times instead of once. Now they are actually re-ordering transactions from over the weekend to cause even more over0drafts. I check my balance on Monday and the transactions from the weekend are listed. I add money (cash) so I can pay a bill online later. The next day I find they re-ordered all of the transactions so that the cash deposit suddenly shows up after all of the other transactions, which are also suddenly re-ordered not by the date but all at once by amount.
    Which is why we nicked-named TCF home of of the TCF Two-Step.

PS Repeated calls to managers and the office of the president (where advanced complaints are supposed to be handled) are never returned.

• Ca
    Captbrowdow Aug 30, 2011

I am an active duty Marine and because of this I have limited access to my checking account balances. I have been taught to balance all of my checking accounts from an early age as I am responsible for my accounts, not my bank or credit union. If I can do this from abroad, I would expect you could, too. Maybe your son could help you balance you check book each month.

atm rip off

On October 9 (2008) our TCF bank card was used to withdraw funds from an ATM machine at the Courtyard...

worst customer service in banking industry

I absolutely dread calling the customer service line for TCF Bank. 9 out of 10 times, the reps are rude & do...

mortgage

I have been doing business with TCF bank for the past 9 years. Yet when I called in for a deferment on a...

rip off

I recently decided to change banks. I went from a credit union to TFC bank. I wrote a check transferring all of my funds from my credit union to TFC bank. I was told by the TFC bank manager that it would be quicker if I moved the money into a checking account vs a savings account. He stated that in a checking account it would only take 5 to 7 days to get access to the money, so I did...15 days later I went to make a withdrawal and was quickly advised by the teller that I could not access my account since the check had not yet cleared. I had written a check for $24, 599.00. I could not believe the check had not yet cleared so I went to the ATM to look at my old account and found that it had a 0 balance. I then contacted the credit union and was advised that the check had in fact cleared on 8/22/08 which at the time was 5 days before!! I then accessed my new account with TFC and found that I had a current balance of $24, 599.00 so I withdrew $300.00. I then told the teller that I was able to get money from my TCF account via the ATM...She then advised me that I would most likely be charged over charge because my account had been placed on hold until 9/03/08!! I went ballistic! How dare they place my account on hold when the check had already cleared the bank! I then contacted the corporate office and found they had placed the account on hold the very same day the check cleared the bank!!! I insisted on talking to the manager in charge of the corporate office and was advised that the manager would not speak with me! I spoke to the manager in charge of the branch at the Jewel Osco store on Eola Rd and he advised me he would ensure access the very next day! I went back the very next day which was a Sunday and he was not there! I advised the teller that I was in the process of talking to an attorney about suing them for this behavior! TCF was holding my money hostage! The manager was called and he did come in and was finally able to give me access to my money so I quickly closed the account! I am now a customer at the Harris bank at which I was advised that TCF has a habit of doing this to it's customers! A couple of days after I closed my TCF bank account I get a letter telling me that my account was placed on hold because of the amount of the check...the fact is they placed it on hold the very day the check cleared the bank!!! Then they had the nerve to tell me that the acronym (TCF) means The Customer First!! I think not! Their acronym should be The Bank First!

• Ib
    iBeeta Aug 11, 2009

I think you have everybody beat-that's unbelievable but not a bit surprising. I have direct deposit and TCF bank denied my application for overdraft protection because of my credit score. This week they used 3 unauthorized pending debits to bounce $175 worth of checks (that would have otherwise been covered) and then bounced the same pending debits when they posted the next day for another jackpot of $105. They refused to stop payment on the pending debits and made me fill out a bunch of papers and said it would take 10 days. They told me they would cancel my card and cut it up (add 10 days for another card). Today I find out that they did not cancel my card that day, my insurance payment bounced and was returned (I had told them it would be declined), so that caused me a charge from them as well as another $35 from TCF. This weeks total is $350 in nsf charges. (over $700 Mar/Apr) I am writing to my Attorney General, Federal Trade Commission and TCF Corporate. I am posting this on all TCF complaints - you should copy and paste your post also if you have time. This is the reason...

Beware of the "make money from home" drones. I always wondered what that was all about. You should be getting around to 10 comments scolding you and some out and out insulting you. Example: Read your contract, blah, blah. // If you don't know how to manage a checking account you shouldn't have one. // Some will give you their sage explanation of how the system works and how you can avoid this problem like you're an idiot.

I finally figured it out when I posted a "ripoff" report on Discover garnishing my wages at 25% ...you can read it and see what I mean..anyway - every post was pro-Discover. People calling me a deadbeat, etc. I thought it was strange that so many people were sitting around defending Discover card in one night. It hit me as I was thinking "is somebody paying these people or what?" Ya, probably per post. So now, when I have a little extra chill time, which is not real often because I have a real job, I dedicate it to supporting honest hard working people getting ripped off and trying to prevent others from the same misfortune.

• St
    Steven Nellessen Sep 28, 2009

Dear Sirs of TCF Banks

As of this day 09/10/2009 you are now officially notified that I/we will no longer be doing business with your Bank and to close all accounts. This is all do to the resent issues and or circumstances that have compiled in the last two years of my 20 Plus years with you.

Cancellation of Credit/Debit card with out my authorization.
    Manipulation of posted checks.
    No reimbursement for new checks that were never received.
    Had to pay $3.00 ATM fee that I canceled out of at the machine.
    Wrong deposits into my account.
    Fines and fees for depositing a bad TCF check and no reimbursement when it was found to be a teller error at another TCF branch.
    Internet user fees for Credit/Debit card usage.
    Poor online account/statements” NO INTERACTION”
    Many business will not except TCF checks

Below are explanations of above bullet points

1.Some time back mid 2007 I had opened a new account in just my name because I was separating from my ex wife. Then a month or two went by and your bank had canceled my Credit/Debit card with out my authorization. I believe that when the ex closed our joint account there was a bank mix up. “NOT MY FAULT” Thanks for all the embarrassment and inconvenience!

2.Some time back mid winter of 2007 I had three small Credit/Debit card transactions that were posted a day before a gasoline charge that was pending. I seen in my account that I needed to put more cash in to cover it so I did. This was just minutes after the gas purchase. So what did you do? Your bank have removed the three small Credit/Debit card transactions that were posted, then payed the gasoline charge that was pending, then fine me 3 times just before you posted the cold hard cash ( the green stuff) that I gave you.”THATS NOT RIGHT OR FARE” 20 +years don't mean nothing to you does it?

3.Back in March of year “2009” I had sent off the form for new checks but never received them. So to play it safe I had to close that account and open a new one.”INCONVENIENCED AGAIN” This again had its own fines and fees that I had to fight to get removed. And never did get reimbursement for new checks that were never received.

4.In June 2009 I stopped some where to eat, went to get $20.00 from an ATM machine, when I seen that they wanted $3.00 for the transaction I canceled out.”OPT OUT” went with out. Then weeks later seen the $3.00 was removed from my account. Wow 3 bucks to say no to $20. Never seen that coming.

5.Just this August 6 2009 I was surprised to see that a check that I had made out to my Ex Wife was deposited into my account. Is she giving it back to me? Banks don't make mistakes or do they? Why is there no fines or fees for you?

6.Around Christmas of 2008 My brother gave me a check from his TCF account just a few days later your Bank had remove the amount that was given to me plus tagged on a $35.00 fee dew to insufficient funds. In the following days my Brother had found that a teller had put his money into his savings account and not his checking as his receipt had shown. Why was I not reimbursed? ”INCONVENIENCED AGAIN and a EMBARRASSMENT “and at Christmas time Way to go “SCROOGE”

7. On 08/19/2009 as I was trying to pay my wireless phone bill on line as I all ways have done. I was having difficulty doing so because a small window kept popping up saying something about TCF/VISA Security & Protection. I was not aloud to pay this bill until I signed into this program. I seen nothing of any kind of a fee for this service as I was signing up. The next day what do you know there was the fee waiting for me in my account.

8. Your online banking is a joke not only is there no customer interaction but it easy for you to Manipulate. Its time to trash the excel looking program! The new bank I just started in there online check works more like a check register when I write out a check I can all so type it into my account that shows up pending and when the check is clear they post it. Yours is set up so that any one that lives from pay check too pay check is sure to fail. I see this as discrimination
    “PREYING ON THE POOR” unfair and immoral.

9.I have been seen more and more business with signs in them saying sorry we don't except TCF checks, not all checks, just the TCF ones. I was told that's why you offer the check card. Now I ask you just how long will it be till business start not excepting them?

In closing of this letter I do hope you can see and understand as to why I can no longer put my trust into your Bank. I have been told by your staff that all the banks are doing the same. Again you lie to me in the time I spent looking for a new bank I have not yet found one that is as corrupt with Manipulations, Fees, Fines, and teller incompetence. Maybe some day you will go back to the days when the customer is number one concern, and treat every one as an equal before its to late. For I see it time for your bank to set down and restructure your banking methodology, reeducate and/or retrain staff to fit the needs of the general public.

mattnupen Oct 08, 2009

I am experiencing the exact same problem. Everyone I have talked to at TCF (phone and at a branch) tells me a slightly different story and will not tell my why my money is being held hostage. The checks have cleared and the money is there, but they want to hold it until I have had my account open for 30 days! It's my money, why does that matter? It seems that they just want to make money off my money. I need to pay bills with my money!

• Ba
    bam_him27 Apr 16, 2010

I agree 100% with TCF has been nothing but a nightmare since day one! They move stuff around in our bank account to fit THEIR needs. ALSO they bounced my account when I had more than enough money. They also like to freeze the account when deposits go in.

• Kr
    krumrei22 Mar 23, 2011

These [censor]s try to fluff it all up with terminology, What they are doing to screwing you over by FORCING you to have overdraft fees. [censor] have done it for the last time for me.

steal money from checking acc.

Here you have official sites to make COMPLAINTS, time to STOP them.They are robbers. Stole from our checking...

it is a big fraud

TCF bank will take your money and especially from the poor people. This bank needs to be investigated with...

keeps initial deposit money then closes account

TCF Bank came to my husband's place of employment in Illinois so we decided to open both a checking and savings account online. A small deposit was made into our accounts at a local credit union. As soon as we verified these amounts our initial deposit transfers were initiated. Now three weeks later we had not heard from them. I have just called and found out that they closed the accounts and will not transfer the money back to us. Nor will they tell us why the accounts were closed over the phone. We have to make a special trip to a branch for that and maybe we will get our money back. This is uncalled for. If an account could not be opened why did they take our money? Why can't we find out the reason over the phone or via email when direct deposit and the use of the website are encouraged. How can an account be closed when there is money sitting there?

Consumer beware. They will take your money and used it so you can't.

• Tl
    Tlinn Aug 19, 2011

same thing happened to my husband, they opened an account for him claiming that they will deposit 100 dollars into his account, then the next day closed it because of a debt with TCF from over 8 years ago. They should have let him know upon opening the account. The only reason that he even decided to open an account with this so called bank was because of the promotion. Everybody knows TCF bank is a joke, we already have Citi Bank and Wells Fargo, thank Goodnes.

harassment!

I had to close my account at this bank for their policies regarding NSF and "debit posting dates". They do free checking to lure in clientèle that may not have the ability to live more than paycheck to paycheck (means overdraft fees). Their customer service is atrocious (probably because they pay their tellers minimum wage)

And now, two years after walking out of that bank for the last time with a closed account paid in full, I can't open an account at another bank because they have me reported on CHEXsystems as owing them money!!!

I called their customer service and she confirmed that I owe them no money, but I have to go in and show them some letter they supposedly sent me to get it removed. Bull!

jose May 02, 2008

Why are they getting away with their practices. Is it legal what they are doing. Taking money from the hard working people who trust them with their money. I'm so sick of this bank practices. Who is the president of this bank. Seems that he/she hide in closed doors. They hired uneducated people so they just be followers on what they do. I know this bank will eventually get audit and they find out who is behind all this.

• La
    Lawrence Dec 24, 2008

I totally agree. You can hear it in the way the reps speak. Their rude 24/7, especially in the Detroit area. I'm closing my account this weekend after I open a new one somewhere else.

• Be
    becky221986 Mar 07, 2009

The tellers aren't paid minimum wage... check your facts.

deposit availability confussion!

A deposit made on December 21st 2007 of $250.00 check not credited until December 24th along with a cash...

loss of money from tcf atm!

On 3 Jan 08, I requested a withdrawal of $ 400.00, from my TCF saving acct. what I got was $200.00 instead...

tcf takes advantage of their customers!

I am furious with this bank. I set up a savings account so that I would have emergency funds. When I set up...

collections department, mortgages, etc.!

Seeking others with experiences with TCF collections department in Burr Ridge. If you believe that the TCF collections staff in Burr Ridge has made inappropriate threats, have used abusive language, or have made false allegations, kindly contact me. If you have received phone calls from Vicki Mak, Frank, Don, or others at that office that you believe were inappropriate in any way, again kindly contact me. I am especially interested in the experiences of anyone who might have been told "you must make a payment today or we will foreclose tomorrow, " as well as anyone that might of had the experience of TCF Burr Ridge refusing to accept payments or other activities that you believe were done to create a crisis and might have involved the charging of incorrect or unsubstantiated fees...

Kindly email me, a TCF client.

• Sg
    s greg Oct 12, 2007

Pay on time and you can avoid the collections dept altogether. And your quote is not an inappropriate threat. People who say they will pay later seldom do. So banks and collection agencies often request payment at the time of contact even if it is much less than the amount owed as a sign of good faith and are then more willing to work with the debtor.

• Sg
    s greg Oct 12, 2007

Oh and I forgot to add that if they said they would foreclose tomorrow, it means they could have foreclosed before they spoke with you. However it sounds like they preferred to work with you to establish some sort of repayment plan because contrary to popular belief banks don't like to foreclose.

Also if tcf had sold your mortgage, your house would have already been foreclosed on. However tcf holds all of its paper, so they have leeway to negotiate with customers rather than foreclosing.

• Ms
    ms2728 Nov 05, 2007

S Greg: Just some points to poner: One obligation of a debt collector is to confirm that there was indeed a late payment rather than a clerical error, especially if such is disputed in writing by the consumer. Another good thing for a debt collector to know is that it is a very serious violation of numerous Illinois state and federal laws, including the FDCPA, for a debt collector to make any kind of threat to a consumer that he or she will take an action when knowing (1) that such action is not allowable, and/or (2) that they in fact do not intent to take such action but is simply using such threats as a collection strategy. Violators of such regulations expose themselves to rather severe fines and other penalties. A third point to ponder is that in Illinois and most states, there are specific statutory guidelines that are required to be followed by a lending institution prior to foreclosure, including the number of months said residential mortgage is late and the amount of time the consumer has to bring any alleged deficiencies current. It might also interest you to know that if a consumer disputes a debt or allegation of late payment, by law the lender must cease all collection efforts until they have investigated and responded to the dispute. Best wishes!

• Ms
    ms2728 Nov 05, 2007

S. Greg: Are you an employee of TCF Bank ?

• Da
    David J Boykin Jan 10, 2008

I worked for TCF and I had run ins with Vicki also. She would threaten all people. This is a common practice with that bank. Frank and Don came from the TCF Finco era and originally worked out of Wheaton.

worst customer service ever

TCF Bank- worst customer service ever. Zero training with the service agents – uneducated and no help...