TCF Bankoverdraft fees and closed account

E

My husband and I received a letter in the mail one weekend stating that there was unusual activity related to our account and the letter suggested that we call TCF. My husband proceeded to call and was told that there was a charge to our account of $500 dollars of overdraft fees due to 15 checks that they had paid on our behalf. My husband asked the customer service rep over the phone if there was anything that could be done and the CSR told him she could do a 1 time adjustment / credit of $174.00 but that still left us with a huge debt. When we asked the CSR to tell us what happened, she told us that my husband's payroll check was pending and that it had not been credited yet but they ran the charges first before posting his payroll. What a way to rip off clients of their hard earned $$. This happened again several weeks later when their online stated I had a certain amount so I went by that and lo and behold I got another $140.00 of NSF fees. When I went in and asked the lady what this was about she said that 4 items had been paid hence the NSF fees. I told the lady that the on line banking information said that I had enough $$ to cover those items. She then continues to tell me that items fall on and off, ie one day you run your on line statement and it may show it pending. So the next day it doesn't show up so you figure it's paid. But no, the next day it pops up again. I asked her to tell me how this is possible but she said she couldn't explain it that it just happens. I'm sorry but the people at the Roseville branch are IDIOTS!!! I finally closed my account with them after 2 rip offs. I always heard people say they hated TCF and I never knew why, now i do...

• Wt
    wtftcf Sep 10, 2009

HA! you CANT close your account! they hold some transactions untill you do and there go the NSF fees again. Thats what happened to me and guess what... it was for redbox movies more than a month ago.. hmmmm. Makes you think why they are outside every jewel

• Ev
    Evansrc717 May 18, 2011

I have come to the conclusion that TCF are nothing but Scam artist. Ihave finally caught them red headed manipulating my tractions to cause my account to go into the red, and then charge me overdraft charges. Here is a classic example of how they do it and I'm certain this is part of their banking software. When your account gets below a certain amount you start noticing unsual fees (non TCF atm fees -on debit transactions) this is how they start the scam, they know you can't possible knowhow much money is in your account and to help the process along they add on the hidden fees in the hopes you cross the magic treashhold and your account goes negative but most of time its because of the fee you don't know your being charged. Other times they just move transactions around to make you account go negative to charge you a fee; when you call and complain they offer to remove half the fees, but your still stuck paying riduculous amount. I am through with their bank and I enourage everyone to leave also.