Menu
Tampa General Hospital
reviews & complaints

Tampa General Hospital
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

24 complaints
6 resolved 18 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Tampa General Hospital. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
6:52 am
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I took my father to the emergency room at 7 PM because of severe chest pain and pain in the jaw and neck. They took him right in and gave him a EKG and then sent him to the waiting room, They next came out 30 minutes later and took blood and then again sent him to waiting room. Then they came and gave him x-rays and again sent him back to the waiting room...

View 0 more photos
4:08 pm

Tampa General Hospital - nurse on drugs

Tampa General hospital does not drug test doctors or nurses, I was in a relationship with a nurse in the cardiac unit there who was still married to a doctor there and both were cocaine addicts. This is very scary to to think your life could be in the hands of someone high on drugs. Tampa General hospital, you need to drug screen your employees.

11:32 pm

Tampa General Hospital - refusal to treat

I took my wife who has schizophrenia to the ER at Tampa General Hospital
because she was hearing voices that told her to [censored]. She was very depressed and suffering greatly from the voices and paranoia.

They gave her a script for 5 Ativan and sent her home

2 comments
Jun 26, 2010 11:42 pm

Hrmm. No health insurance?

S
Jun 26, 2010 11:38 pm

I would definitely involve a lawsuit, what if she went home or you weren't there and she wasn't stable and something happened? The doctors in scrubs could perform better medical attention than that. I hope she attends some type of therapy also, just to have someone to talk with and help her grasp what those thoughts are from.

4:58 pm

Tampa General Hospital - could have died

I am a cardiac patient. I have been to Tgh before with no problems. I had always been well taken care of. Except for 2 incidents. The first time I was having chest pains and they did a EKG. Which was normal and I was told to wait in the waiting room. It would be a few hours. So I went home. I found out the next day when I went to memorial hospital that I had a mild heart attack. That was the beginning of my heart troubles. I've had 3 stents places since. During these I had normal EKG and stress tests. When I had a cardiac cath. it showed I had 90% blockage. So I had 1 stent then a year later 2 more stents then 3 months after that the 2 previous stents collapsed and I had to have them repaired. About 3 months after that I was having such bad chest pains that I couldn't walk across the road. So I was taken by the paramedics (Who were just awesome) to Tgh. I was there for 4 days. During this time I had normal EKG and stress and blood levels. Same history as before. (Which the doctors knew my history, But this time I had no insurance) Also I developed horrible pain in the side of my neck which had actually turned black and blue and was swelling. The hospital doctor discharged me and told me there was nothing wrong me. I told him I know there is something wrong that I can't walk to the bathroom without having chest pains even being on morphine every 3 hours with minimal relief. When I asked him about my neck and the bruising. He told me I had arthritis. I never heard of such a thing. So I went home and after 2 days I couldn't take it any more. I felt like I was going to die and I would have if I didn't go to St. Joesph's hospital. Where I ended up having open heart surgery. I was on the verge of having a massive heart attack. I also had a dvt (Blood clot) in my neck. That was my so called arthritis. So God bless every one at St. Joes for saving my life. Everyone a angel. They didn't cut corners because I no longer had insurance. They took care of me they way I should have been taken care of in the first place. Dr. Teekle Taylor who did my surgery is awesome. So was Dr. Feghei the cardiologist. He didn't stop until he found out what was wrong with me. I owe them my life. A zillion googles of kudos to everyone there. To the doctor that sent me home at TGH. I hope you or any of your family are never treated the way you treated me. Because you could lose your life, just like I almost lost mine. People are still people regaurdless if they have insurance or not. Evey life is precious and priceless. I felt that Tgh put a price on my life and if I couldn't pay then it wasn't worth their time.

7 comments
T
Oct 15, 2021 10:14 pm

St. Joe’s usually cleans up their messes. Smh

Mar 31, 2021 12:22 am

Yep, have a friend at St. Joes they get many patients released from TGH only to be rushed to St. Joes. She always says, they save lives at St. Joes, unlike TGH. Heard and experienced many of these incidents at TGH.

T
Jan 10, 2021 11:50 pm

STAT means nothing to them, seriously just experience this.

F

Also was told by a source that the hospitals are run by the MOB down here in Florida...so if you have been any kind of a whistle blower I would move from this roach infested Florida pronto...the whole south is a roach house..LOL

B
Apr 21, 2015 9:43 am

Don't go to the hospital if you are a whistle blower. That might be your problem...same thing happened to me.

M

Yes. I do not know who they have paid off to be able to make the advertising claims about being "the best in the country." My wife was sent there on a STAT basis yesterday [protected]) by her vascular surgeon, with the assurance he would call ahead and she would be seen by a member of his surgical group. She was suffering from an immense swelling with increasing bruising and pain at a post surgical site. The concern was that this was an anuerysm, clot or infection. Being an unusually compliant patient, she did not eat or drink prior, as surgery was a possibility and she had no desire to prolong the wait time. None of her attempts to speed the proces along were rewarded - we arrived at the ER at 2:10 p.m. (after a 30 mile drive from our home). By 4:20 no one had even acknowledged her presence. I asked the front desk nuse and explained the circumstances. She came over and told my wife that somehow she had "gotten lost in the process and fallen between the cracks." This, for a patient who had been ordered by her physician to go there. She was given an ultrasound and sent back to the waiting room. We were called back to be treated 3 hours later.
7:30. The "assesment" and "treatment" were negligible at best. The only member of her physician's group on duty was doing a TRANSPLANT - hello - that obviously takes hours on end, there was no one to see her other than the "attending" who refused to make a descion as to admit or release. (I wonder what HIS bill will be.) So, after all the wait, stress, pain (oh, yes she was given marginal pain tratment after 6 hours) she was examined and told she could go home. OK - the "release" process took another hour.
So - a 9 1/2 stay in the ER ( physician ordered) amounted to more stress than anyone should be subjected to.
I have no kind words for TGH and wish to God her surgeon practiced elsewhere. Oh, yeah - by the way - she is also registered at Shands, Gainesville. We could have made to and from Gainesville 2X.
Another note: The ER nurses will tell you that 6-10 HOUR wait is not unusual. Did you see that? 6 - 10 HOURS IS NOT UNUSUAL! Can't deal with this, we will no doubt be billed thousands for nothing, yet if she can get a transplant here it would be preferable to Gainesville. Why is nothing being done about this wait time?

S
Jun 08, 2010 8:27 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I am currently in the E.R. I came in due to chest pains. It is now 9:04 pm. I've been here since 2:00 p.m.
I was told the EKG was normal but was being kept overnight for observation. I have experienced the worst customer service by the nurses, one R.N. by the name of tiffany was so unprofessional that as we were asking her about the fact that she forgot to apply the heart monitor leads she replied "whatever", then another nurse came in after and trying to justify her behavior by saying that's how young people talk. This nurse tiffany appeared to be distracted when she first entered the room. I told my friend i didn't want her to care for me because of her behavior she's dangerous. I'm now being told that my stay will be in the e.r. due to no beds. I hope the rest of my stay is better than it began. I also hope i'm not sent away with a clean bill of health only to have a heart attack the next day.

Tampa General Hospital contacts