• Ju
    Junkeon Feb 18, 2010

I'm a person who's, at most, happiest with something that I call my own. I've seen my big beautiful piece of God's gift to man and, as you can read, am very content with my perfectly priced piece of desert land. I can see all these discouraging comments come from people who may just want to scare off people from buying or keep their land so that, maybe, they and their friends can go and buy it up to profit from the little guy and basicaly suck our bloods out. Oh well. Some may just be looking for a clue and too scared to go find out for themselves. That's too bad. Mark my word, beauty IS in the eye of the beholder and, this is a beauty, to me. Those of you that don't apreciate what is there, you should pull that long rigid cane out and go take a long look at this place. If the view and the breeze don't take your breath away then, this isn't for you. Accept it and move on.

• Se
    seilock Jan 12, 2010

I have a question for every owner of Sunset Ranch. How are you so sure if your lot you bought haven't been sold before? Most lots in texas has been reported on USATODAY that it has been sold more than once. Have anyone made a contact with the county to see if their lot, because all lands have parcel numbers to identify with county and tax, that they are actually the owner or just some goonball paying off a large company until they call bankruptcy and can't be sued?? Do any of you even have a parcel or just going off of what you want to believe? If you haven't seen your land, make note and do go see it. Because owning land for years and not seeing it, well, you might as well buy a car and let someone hold it for you while you make the payments for the next six years.

Debby King Mar 24, 2017

@seilock My friend is already living there and she is extremely happy with it. I'll be joining her in a few weeks. As well as another friend who has indeed visited her land repeatedly calling it her "little piece of heaven". So what people think of the place just depends on the people. Period!!

Johndoe1963 Mar 14, 2018

@Debby King Debby, Did you move there? I am in San Antonio and thinking of buying a few lots there to hunt, shoot and camp.
    Daniel

• Ro
    Robert Vernon May 28, 2018

@Debby King I would like to make contact with you as I am a newbie and will arrive this July 2018 for my walkthrough and confirm boundary markers and begin to build my homestead. Please contact me at [email protected]
    and chat.Thanks Dr. Robert Vernon

• Wi
    William Ables Sep 09, 2019

@Robert Vernon I am about to purchase 120 acres and wanted to check on the water. I am planning on digging a well and was wondering if you have checked on this. I understand the water to be around 400 feet. Is that correct or should I expect to go deeper?

• Sc
    ScJax2019 Dec 28, 2019

@William Ables William, most registered high volume water wells in the Sierra Blanca area are 650 to 1200 foot and are about, on average, $30 to $40 a foot not counting pump and tank. Texas doesn't keep records on low volume water wells or seasonal water wells, so it is anyone's guess what you are looking at.

• Su
    Sunshine713 Jul 14, 2020

@Robert Vernon Hello, I know someone who owns 60 acres and wants to sell it. Any one interested?

• Do
    DocTao Jan 04, 2010

Danno,

Uh when was the last time you did research on the Sludge dump in Sierra
    Blanca, Tx. If I recollect the Sludge dump was closed for operation in 2003.
    Basically we can hold the past Presidential Administration, prior Governor's
    of the Great State of Texas for selling the environmental "Soul" of Texas to
    the highest bidder. Sierra Blanca's residents stood standfast and got the
    State legislature to halt the transportation and the "processing" of the
    Sewage Sludge from NY. This area had been tapped for possible approval
    for a Permanent Nuclear Waste Facility.Both high level and low level waste
    was to be shipped, trucked or trained to the southwest part of Texas. Again
    the stalwart few who gave a serious damn about our Ecological future said
    no Nuke garbage in our Backyard. It never happened as of yet. Now I am
    a property owner with Sunset Ranches and have yet to have any problem
    with the way they do business. Yes people, it is High Desert Land. What does
    that mean? Landscapes can go to being similar to the surface of the Moon, to
    scrub land known commonly as " arroyo" . It is not your Verdant Green
    Paradise, but beauty is often in the eye of the beholder. Yes, amenities are few
    but for the select few who are and need be resourceful it can be Paradise Found.
    It can and will be a test for the uninitiated, but the Night time skies can be
    awesomely inspiring, and the Milky Way can become like and old friend.
    Desert land is not for everyone. Not something to be entered into lightly.
    If you survive on challenge, and the will to make things happen, you might
    find the Desert to be calling out your name. Okay, you might get some
    sweltering days during the Summer, but on the average the Temps are in
    the Upper Eighties with next to no humidity. Comfortable sleeping weather
    at nightime the Mid- Sixties to Mid-Seventies. You get a little wind and a
    sandstorm every now and then isn't unusual. As far as I'm concerned it's
    new way of Life.

• Sp
    Space Citizens Jan 18, 2020

@DocTao I can't imagine how any of the whiners here could ever survive any hardship. I've been there done my research and water is at 400', septic systems must meet state health codes. Power is available on some of the properties but who needs it when you the sun and wind. I'm moving back there soon and I am looking forward to the challenge. Our ancestors didn't have cars and electric when they settled in the panhandle of Texas and Oklahoma. Some of the ranches have been handed down for generations. So if you can't see the value of peace and quiet or open clear skies to see the stars or Starlink at night put your pacifier back in your mouth and shut *#+"* up. One more tidbit for you. If Amazon President & CEO Jeff Bezos can buy it for Blue Origin or Richard Branson of Virgin Galactic I guess it has no value. Space industry here we come.

desertdog Dec 12, 2009

I bought 20 acres for 7500.00 and now they are selling for 16000.00. I don't know why anyone would label it as "wasteland", it's typical Southwestern brush country. I think it's pretty. There's no 'scam' involved..you look at the properties, and if you want to buy, you buy...Wheres the scam???

Debby King Mar 24, 2017

@desertdog Amen to that !!

• Mo
    Mo Deemi Dec 08, 2009

Does the foreclosure process affect your credit, I heard owner financing does not report to the credit bureaus?

• Da
    Danno29 Oct 11, 2009

Click this link or copy and paste into your browser. You will be amazed...

Danno

• Da
    Danno29 Oct 11, 2009

We purchased a 20 acre track about 6 years ago. I have never seen it except on Google Earth, and one day I will most likely sell it. It is a well known fact that Hudspeth county Texas is a waste land for dumping toxic waste and everything in between. Just do a search on Google and type in Hudspeth County Texas. You will see that a bunch of waste from NYC arrives there by train, and lots of other stuff. They are dredging the Hudson River in NY right now. They are digging up PCB's that have been dumped there by General Electric. Guess where the PCB's are going to end up? Probably somewhere close to our land. It is on it's way to Western Texas. Exactly where remains a mistery, but I sure can take a good guess. Anyway, maybe someday a good rich company will want to buy our land so that they can dump there toxic waste on it and polute the ground water even more. Maybe someone will jump out there and stop all the toxic dumping. Your guess is as good as mine.
    Danno

Debby King Mar 24, 2017

@Danno29 Did you know that every community or city in America that has a sewage treatment plant is a dumping ground for sewage. Just say'n :)

• Co
    CowboyJim Sep 16, 2009

Is it all about sunset ranchs or the people the hire to do their work.Usually is the dead beat, people who drag the roads with old chain link fence and are getting paid to "grade our roads"Yes i am a old cowboy who is broke and lives out here in the ranch area.I have watched a certain short, fat, blonde guy screw over sunset ranchs by hiring poor unsuspecting people to do his work and then he doesnt pay them.
    This then leaves a bad taste in everyones mouth about sunset ranchs-its not the owner s creating this bad enviroment its the dozerman person -the man that puts you in his white truck and drives you around and shows you the desert land that is for sale-shoot this guy would lie to his mama to sell you that property and get his commission check from sunset of florida .He does it every day, day in day out just for the buck.
    So may be you should blame him instead .sunset just buys sections up, pays him to install roads and signs and to help sell this dead land to people from the cities who only have so much money in their pockets.Its then they find out the cannot survive in the desert with out spending money they dont have.The cycle then repeats.
    Most the land in that area sells for about 75.00 to 100.00 per acre and there is tons of it.Go to the local court house and tell them you want to buy some of their back tax property.They will be happy to sell it to you the same way they sell it to anyone.Well i have wasted enough of all our time here.Happy sailing.
    James
    ps ;
    i own mine free and clear too and there is good snake hunting everyday.

• Ro
    Robert Vernon May 28, 2018

@CowboyJim I am a newbie to this area and bought 100 acres. contact me at [email protected] and set up a meet in July 2018

• Ji
    jiminj Jul 08, 2009

I am surprised that someone could accuse Sunset Ranches of running a scam. 20 acres is 20 acres my friend, and in the words of Mark Twain (or any of the other personalities to whom this has been attributed), "Buy land, they ain't making it anymore!" If you bought the land thinking you were going to get a 20 acre tropical resort for $8900, then you are truly the epitome of naivety. $8900 for 20 acres works out to $445 an acre. A steal. And at that price, of course it's not going to be prime real estate, but the point is to buy it as an investment, or to build your dream home if you don't mind well water and solar/wind power. El Paso is expanding... There's no denying that fact, and the logical place for the expansion to head is to the east. I'm holding on to my 20 acres and if I don't see the benefits from it in my lifetime (it's paid off, so I don't even worry about it), maybe my kids will be able to benefit from it. At the very least, I get the bragging rights to tell people that "Yes, I own 20 acres in Texas", and I'm happy with that.

• Sc
    ScottyMax May 19, 2009

I am surprised that the county allows legal 20 acre parcel sizes in the middle of a wasteland. Here in California land like that could not be divided into anything smaller than 640 acres. I guess if you need to fulfill your need of becoming a texas cowboy through an overpriced prepackaged set up then what the hell. Land is only worth what people will pay for it. When a company has to spend huge marketing dollars for a SMALL properties solicited to several small investors, I can assure you that your not getting them deal of the century. You have to ask yourself, what does the property contribute, can you lease the ground, is the any development potential this century for the property, can it be planted to any crops, is any natural resources available, can you find water? If you can't answer any of these questions then the properties real worth is nothing, zip, zadda, zero. The only way the property has any value is your ability to convince someother poor sap that it has value. And since your marketing budget isn't nearly the size of the developers chances are that is going to be extremely difficult.

Debby King Mar 24, 2017

@ScottyMax 640 acres. I beg to differ. You see I live in California. I come from a large family all of whom have purchased raw land in Kern County from half an acre to 2 1/2 acre lots. We were one of the first ones to buy in this area when the ranchers here began to subdivide their lands. It was barren scrub land just like Sunset Ranches, now it is a highly populated oasis. The payment plan was no credit needed 1000.00 down and 100.00 a month. Now this was in the 60's and 70's when that plan bought you a very small lot. It looked good back then because there wasn't anybody around then. But it's looking pretty crowded these days which is why I am so happy about the 20 acres at Sunset Ranches. I've lived in California my whole life and I have never heard of this 640 acre thing you are talking about.not many people I know could afford to buy 640 acres but here we all are landowners in California anyway.

CharlesATX Jul 08, 2019

@ScottyMax Im an owner of several of these plots, and I beg to disagree with your statement "the only way the property has any value is your ability to convice some poor sap that it has value". I've been to see my lots, I looked on google maps to approximate the general area (who wouldnt? its the internet guys) and when I went out to see it it was even more beautiful than I had imagined.

Personally, I love the desert. I bought in this area because it was cheap (I live in the Austin are) and pristine and deserted. If you're looking for strip malls and bars and a taco bell, look elsewhere. Otherwise the value can be plainly seen upon visiting: solitude and a vast expanse of nowhere.

Of Sunset Ranches, I would have to say good things. They are always helpful (if not terribly polite over the phone) and so far have been as good as their word. I have nearly defaulted once but they were very plain spoken about what was going to happen. They gave me time to get back on track with payments. Its not a "miss one payment and forfeit your entire investment" sort of deal. The land is scrub. It is remote. there is nothing there but a few other landowners and the desolate beauty of the desert. Water can be found and a well dug. I dont think that mineral rights come with the property but Im not sure on that score.

When I say cheap, remember that I could have a postage stamp 1/8 ac lot with a house overlooking my neighbors kitchen, for a cool $500k here in Austin. Or I could spend a fraction of that for more space than I will ever find a use for and some solitude. Its not for everyone, but its definitely for me.

• St
    Stephanie Mar 30, 2009

I've been dealing with Sunset Ranches for about six years, and have been very pleased with their service. They do not hide information, to my knowledge. They have been very truthful with all of my questions - I verified information, and looked deeper at questionable aspects.

I am purchasing 20 acres for $8, 900. I researched the company and did not find any customer complaints. I also researched Hudspeth County, and its surrounding areas. I was not surprised to find the land is not exactly "prime." Why else would it be $8, 900? The truth is, it is 20 acres - prime or not. I have not seen my land, but I am not so naive as to expect a lavish, rich piece of property - I do know what to expect.

Complaining that the company forecloses on property not paid is not a legitimate reason to call the land deals a scam. I have often gone nearly four months without making a payment, and am informed each time the exact date and time foreclosure will take place as well as the minimum amount of money needed to be removed from foreclosure status. Sunset Ranches provides plenty of warning. There are also few fees associated with default. In fact, Sunset Ranches has one of the more lenient types of bill arrangements I've seen in a long time. They also offer a plan to help those customers unable to avoid foreclosure so the customer does not lose everything.

I was foreclosed on once - my mistake - not Sunset Ranches. My land was immediately transferred to another. When I was able to pay the past due amount, I was placed on a waiting list and when another property became available, I was provided the new land package. I was actually pleasantly surprised with my new plot. It is now about 30 miles closer to El Paso which to me was a plus.

When I do have a chance to visit Texas and see my land, I expect to find rough, mountainous and/or desert land, in a very rural area. This is what I bought, and I was fully aware of it. Is it worth the $8, 900? Its 20 acres! I am fairly certain, that at some point in my life, I will see a benefit of purchasing a plot of land for such a low price.

• Ar
    Armando Mar 30, 2009

What kind of goonball wrote such comments about Sunset Ranches? Sunset Ranches are honest people and over 2, 000 of the 20 acre parcels have been sold and I can't find too many people that are unhappy with their parcels except the disgruntled person who wrote the negative feedback. I bought 2 20 acre parcels nearly 4 years ago. 325 of my friends bought them as well. So who do you believe (The goonball or me?) If they were a scam, then the Texas Attorney General would have closed them down and the owners would have been arrested. The parcels have gone up in value from $8, 995 to about $16, 000 sine I purchased mine about 4 years ago and they continue to go up in value. They are nice because they are grandfathered under the original zoning laws which means that you can build structure without having to worry about city codes. There is water about 400ft. down and you can drill a well and make your own man-made lake as many have done. I visited there and found that many people have already built their own houses there and are living off solar energy and backup generators. It is quiet and peaceful living there and my prediction is that eventually development will begin there as El Paso is crowded and the next most logical place for expansion in the area is where the parcels of SUnset Ranches are located. Don't believe that pot head who wrote the negative article!