Stanford University Medical Centerno compassion for patients

S

My daughter is currently a post-op patient at Stanford Hospital. We are very disappointed in the care she is receiving from the nursing staff. They show no compassion whatsoever--they have attitudes one would expect from a free hospital in the ghetto. In fact, I've gotten much better nursing care at the county hospital.

A nurse left my daughter stranded in the bathroom and eventually she got herself back in bed, although it was dangerous and very painful for her to do so. They also left her roomie, another post-op patient, stranded in the bathroom as well and when I went to seek help, the nurse at the station got up and helped her, but was nasty to me in the process. Yesterday, another nurse left my daughter in a chair, where she couldn't reach a call button, for an hour and a half, while she went on break. My daughter cried in pain until a good Samaritan came along.

Another time, a nurse apologized to my daughter when she overheard another nurse being rude to her. She said, "don't worry about her, she shouldn't be working here with that attitude." Ha! At least 50% shouldn't be working there with their attitudes! Also, the nursing stations are like frat houses--party, party, flirt, flirt, party! Are they there to work or reel in a cute resident? It's hard to tell.

We complained to their hotline, and did get a cordial response, but nothing changed as far as the nursing care. We can't wait until she's released so she can get proper care at home. Never again!

• My
    My son could die Jun 26, 2011

I am going through the same thing...but on a much bigger level. If if had not been for me and my son's wife he would have died as least 3 times. The nurses have no compassion, don't come to the room when you ring for an emergency i.e. my son could not breathe and they know that was a big issue. One nurse came into the room when my son could not breathe and said she was trying to help me out she was not my son's nurse. They are rude and the resident doctors are arrogant like we should view them as God and not ask them any questions. In the last 2 weeks they have made noted mistakes that could kill my son. Don't check allergies. Just not good. This hospital is not what people think it is, yes, the equivalent of a ghetto hospital. The last straw was when I got the news from his wife that the doctors said they don't have time to talk to me, his mother, and that I had to be present, even though he requested they do, and they know I live in another town, because he is an adult. Does that make less my son? He is a cancer patient with a disease they know nothing about, while they come back and forth and experiment on him like an animal and tell us we have a lot questions...totally, unacceptable and rude. Unbelievable..I am so scared for my son's life.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices