ADVERTISIMENT

Snap Fitnessno contract, month to month is a lie

They claim "no contract", then make you sign one but tell you orally it is for the key card use, liability for use of the facilities, etc.

TRY (just try) to cancel as I did (sent notice I wasn't going to use gym any longer)and the personal and friendly owner will send you to a collection agency after billing and continuing to bill month after month. All this and they have stopped my access with the keycard that you have to pay for (doesn't HAVE to be returned since it is all computerized and they make you BUY it).

So the key card I bought doesn't work, as it shouldn't since I no longer want to work out there. And I haven't even tried to use it. But they bill me and bill me and then send me to a collection agency for not paying for months that I couldn't use, didn't want to use and didn't pay for. And threats to continue paying unless I show up in person (out of spite from the owner to attempt to humiliate me??)

• Ca
    Caption10 Oct 22, 2019

Some one needs to be working there more.
    No towels to clear off the machines
    One TV is not working. This has been like that for weeks.
    No employees there most of the time and the sign is saying there is staff there. Many people trying to sign up but can't get in to
    see anyone. I think you may be short on staff in this work out place.

• Sh
    Sharlene80 Jun 15, 2019

Me and my daughter cancelled our membership and she is still being charged after 6mths ... Out contact was for 12 mths which finished in 2018
    They now sending threating emails after 6mths asking for money
    .. wtf

Comments

• Ro
    Robert B. Taggart Sep 11, 2018

Please advise if the local clubs in Adelaide will accept my USA membership card. Please reply yes or no to [email protected] Thanks

• Vi
    Vipin Kumar Sep 01, 2018

Hi team,
    I am the member of snapfitness india Delhi.
    As per snapfitness package I took 1 year package and paid 1300 thousand for one year.however gym is closed now. Snapfitness saket Delhi gym no response yet. Send them email with membership ID. But no response. My membership ID is 4879015. please help me to get refund my remaining amount

• Ri
    Ripudaman Singh Gill Sep 01, 2018

I and my wide enrolled in Indirapuram - ghaziabad ( india) centre and paid entire amount. This centre is closed and we have been following up for refund for last 1 year but no one is responding. +91-[protected]

• Vi
    vince chun Aug 15, 2018

on may 26 i visited with jeff and requested a cancellation. He assured me I would be reimbursed for any june deduction. Please reimburse the June 19th deduction! snapfitness at 89147

• Lo
    Local resident101 May 28, 2018

Hello
    My area is Richmond Nelson New Zealand.
    I have had a overcharging experience with Snap Fitness in my area.
    After cancelling membership for a period of time with the intention of resuming at a later date, I had moneys taken out
    of my account against my card instead of against my account ( how this happened I doin't know as they should have not had my card number).
    I am not sure but understand the moneys are withdrawn from an Australian HO and not my local gym, which I have no complaints with, a good gym with friendly staff and good clean facilities.
    However I have no intention of rejoining because of the apparent wrongful taking of money from my account, it appears the company operates in a dishonest way with account information entrusted to them.
    This is a shame as the gym is a good concept etc., .and the staff are friendly and helpful.

• Cu
    custompaint May 27, 2018

Hello
    Becarefull of snap fitness in Richmond .
    I cancelled and they are still taking money out of my acc.
    I fill out another form . I hope they stop this time.
    Nice Gym but hard to cancel.

• Cu
    custompaint May 27, 2018

Hi People
    This is about snap fitness in Richmond in Nelson in New Zealand.
    I work in the oil industry . so when i joint I told them I go away a lot .
    That was ok .Then I went in to cancelled my membership . I filled out the form.
    I asked how much I owned them I payed what was owing. the debt from my acc was closed my them.
    2 months later they took $240 ..they put it up against the number on the card. . I went in to snap to see what was going on. They said I had not filled out a form. I got the form .I asked a friend to come in with me .I filmed it with my phone .The reason I did this was because I new I had filled the form out. It tuned out when the bank looked in to it they had been taking more than they should have been .I payed by eftpos each month .then they were taking it out of my acc as well/ I enjoyed the Gym very nice..But be careful giving them you bank details.

• Pi
    Pissed off in Portland! Jan 25, 2016

How can you claim "no contract" then charge cancellation fees? Apparently the "non contract" I signed was NOT what was described to me. I acknowledge my fault in trusting a "local" business and not carefully reading what I signed. Will not make that mistake again, and will NEVER recommend this company. I know that this is a franchise and local branches may have different ways of operating, but if they are all a part of the same company, they should have uniform standards and practices.

• Pt
    pt student Apr 28, 2015

snap fitness billing tactics make it impossible to quit as you are billed a month in advance yet when you quit it works out to 2 months in advance which traps pensioners who are unable to pay month to month. i'd recommend going to a gym that bills you each time you arrive at the gym as in government owned gyms. when i get my cert 4 i'm going under cut snap fitnness by offering free personal training to pensioners and those unable to afford a gym membership.

• Am
    Amazonian Feb 24, 2015

The agreement everyone who joins Snap Fitness SIGNS says on page 1 there will be a $20 fee per month that a payment is not successfully processed on time. The agreement on page 2 says cancellation must be in writing, 30 days in advance (just like month-to-month lease on an apartment) which means most people will receive one more bill and be able to use the gym till the end of the last paid month. If you want only a 30 day membership, cancel the day you enroll, or the next day. You still have use of the gym for the month. Better yet, buy a guest pass!

The complaints I read look like people 1) didn't follow the correct procedure, 2) didn't like the procedure, or 3) didn't follow up (close the loop) to make sure everything was handled as desired. These are complaints about the human condition--most of us have been guilty of one or more of these in our lives. We hate it when we have to pay when we did not want to or because we did not read--or we forgot--what we signed. We absolutely HATE IT! But that is on us as flawed people, not on Snap Fitness.

• My
    Mydoona Feb 09, 2015

I am wondering, my key card stopped working last week (FEB) and when I rang them they said my credit card had expired and they needed my new expiry date and they would charge me for the whole month of December and January and February...no one rang me to tell me it had expired. if I just don't go back ever again, will they be able to take any money from me? What will happen?

• Na
    Nathan Prince May 27, 2014

I joined in Riverbend, Calgary, Alberta. I told them I just wanted to try it out for ONE month, and would decide afterwards - the fellow said, not a problem, it's a month to month, I can cancel anytime - did not mention anything about saying a month in advance or anything; all I had to do was pay for the access card and they would charge my credit card for one month. Two months later I receive a call saying they need to renew my membership, I said I was not a member and they said ok, and a month later I receive a collection notice in the mail. I also learned they were trying to charge my credit card and it had been turned down because it was not on my authorized list. Since then they have sent me to another collection agency asking for 4 months of "membership" and my letters to the Head Office have not been responded to and they are now wrecking my other than perfect credit rating for some sort of idiocracy? What a joke... I am more than willing to pay someone in court to fight this rather than let this stupid company continue this fraud practice

• Mt
    mtnrunner Feb 20, 2014

I realize that these are come whenever, and no one has to be on staff. No frills gym. However, one would think that when someone is on premises that they would be safety, personal trainer and CPR certified? Well not here in this community. Not necessary according to
    the staff at this location. As a fitness pro looking for a new workout space in this area this will not be it. The staff was very rude, and I did not let on that I was a professional, however she was not informed about equipment, safety or function of the equipment. Noticing improper use of equipment it seems that some of the participants were wasting their money on workouts that may end up harming them than doing them good. This kind of facility may be useful for the experience gym user but not for the beginner or unhealthy. Although in my experience anyone can drop in a gym with an emergency situation. I never did get a straight answer about the membership and cancellation. Thanks for the other input. I will take financial heed.

• Yo
    you know whoo Oct 21, 2013

Snap Fitness has rude employees.. at least the ones her in Winnipeg (Charleswood) .. the receptionist threatened to kill me and made racial slurs about my Asian wife.. how a company can hire ppl like this is beyond me.. but then again the owner of the company is not exactly a model citizen either.. ppl would be better off joining the YMCA!!

• Un
    Unhappy in KY Jul 02, 2012

Just had to contact my bank and put a FRAUD ALERT on Snap Fitness and block them from any future charges. The gym is great it is just when you go to cancel your membership is when you run into problems. Yes, written notice was given to corporate and the local location, confirmation was received that our membership would be cancelled. Well lo' and behold we were charged AGAIN today. Needless to say I will be contacting the BBB.

• Sn
    Snap Fitness May 02, 2012

Management of a Snap Fitness- I would love to explain how a few things work at Snap Fitness.
    *Every Snap Fitness does vary in Customer Service... Equipment...Water fountains...showers...As well as Staff Availabilty!
    Example: Not every walmart is going to have to same as every other one..

*30 Day CANCELLATION: Is told to member when signing...if for any reason staff has not told member it is clearly stated on AGREEMENT. As a past customer I believe that it is a reasonable time to let a business know you will no longer need services.
    -This is one issue that ALOT of people misunderstand "If they dont go for 2, 3, 4, months that they should not have to pay" Let me explain this clearly if you do not let us know you no longer want to be a member, your debit info is in our computer to draft and will not stop until you give a written notice.

• Ra
    RachL14 Jan 30, 2012

I don't know what kind of snap everyone is going too but the one I go to is very nice. Its small but its in a really small town. My boyfriend and I pay 50 dollars a month for both of us which is way cheaper then what I paid for at anytime fitness. Its clean and safe and the drinking fountains are free. Haha never heard of fountains you have to pay for! Not making you sign up for at least 3 months or a year was a huge selling point. I think a 30 day notice for cancellation is completely reasonable. Thats how it was at anytime fitness. We haven't had any issues there and I love it. People complain to much. Read the fine print or don't sign up at all!

• Eb
    Ebiles Nov 24, 2011

Snap failed to honor my timely, contractually complaint, written request to cancel service and continued to debit my bank account and attempt collection even after a complaint was filed with the BBB.

• Ru
    rudedog_9 Nov 17, 2011

I love snap fitness and my month to month rate is much less than stated above. I travel a lot and prefer finding a snap fitness to workout at instead of the lousy hotel fitness centers. Most that I've been to have drinking fountains, although some did not. About half had showers, which I prefer to get clean after my workout immediately, but I do go to my local one without a shower, but it is close to my work, and a good time to fit it in during my lunch hour. I was clearly told that I would have to cancel my membership with a 30 day advance notice. Although a person should read any contract (whether it is listed as a contract or not).

Annoyed in Toronto Aug 04, 2011

Snap fitness on Roncesvalles avenue in Toronto Ontario Canada. We called and spoke to the owner and asked the policy on cancelling our membership as we had moved out of the area. She advised us of the policy and we promptly complied. 6 weeks later we receive a phantom bill in the mail stating another month had been billed and was past due. They also added a $25 late payment fee. This was completely unknown to my wife and I as we had not been told about the 30 day policy when we spoke to the owner. Had we known we would have just paid and been done with it. The bill was a surprise to us and we figured must be in error so I called and left a message asking for a call back for an explanation. They never returned the call but in the meantime sent us to collection and added another late payment charge. After a second (not so friendly) voicemail I received a callback from a totally useless employee who had no information except to tell me to email the owner. This is now ongoing but I would NOT recommend signing up with this facility. Nothing makes me more irratated than phantom charges and the extreme lack of customer care shows what they really care about. YOUR MONEY. DO NOT JOIN THIS FACILITY.

Supermacho Feb 10, 2011

@Jo86. Well I liked Snap when we first signed up that is until they decided to take more money out of my account then they should have. I called Snap to update my CC information and the girl I spoke with said I was all set for the payment to come out of my account. Well come to find out that a few days later 69.99 comes out of my account. They charged me with a $20.00 fee. That's absurd. I was promised that it was taken care of and the payment would come out. I am not giving them a 3 week notice on change in my cc information when they should be able to change it right there. Needless to say I will be speaking with the Corporate offices of Snap fitness Tomorrow to complain about this company. The Lack of staff there is a complete joke. The location you work at might be better but the one here is a joke. For 49.99/month for 2 people to join is priced pretty high when I can go join a gym down the road and pay 10.00 a month. Snap has lost my business.

Supermacho Feb 10, 2011

@ No contract I totally agree with you on the price. I added it up as well it ends up being about 600/year and Snap Fitness isn't even that big. Yes It has machines that I use but the fact that it's small, lacks equipment and also lacks having staff there at times when there needs to be. Like the Snap by my house has someone there from 8am-12pm then from 12-4pm there is no one staffed. They are only there until 8pm. It would be nice to have a staff member there later but the problem is they are always dead in there. They are hardly busy when I go in. So what does that tell me? It tells me that people don't like it. The Snap by my house has a free water machine. They don't have vending machines. I am canceling soon.

NOOOO CONTRACT Feb 03, 2011

Let me begin by saying, I am highly educated and do know how to read very well. Therefore, any attempt (like the previous) to insult me as a defense for ripping people off will not work here.

The fact is "no Contract" means NO CONTRACT. I'd suggest you [censor]s trying to insult others go grab a legal dictionary and have someone read it to you. When you are asking someone to sign their name to authorize an auto draft every month and penalizing them for not giving a 3 week notice, that is a CONTRACT.

Besides, Why does it take only one day to set up an auto draft but it takes three weeks to cancel it? Hmmm, sounds strange eh?

So, lets do the math on this: The membership for a month to month is $45 (not to mention the $20 for a plastic card). Multiply by 12 = $540/yr. An average competitor: $32/mth. X 12 = $384 + (giving the benefit of the doubt) $20/yr annual fee = $404

Still over $100 less. Not only is the competition cheaper, but their facility is 4-5 times larger, offers 10X the equipment and other amenities, includes lockers, and have free water fountains. Imagine that, free water fountains at a health club... what a concept! Did you really not think of that SNAP, or is it just another way to make money off your vending machines?

Needless to say, I will not be paying for another month and would not even recommend this place to an enemy. They can take their "no contract" contract and shove it. The transaction will be blocked by my bank regardless of the 3 week notice "contract". Furthermore, i eagerly await any attempts to scar my credit.

• Ju
    Just Sayin' Dec 30, 2010

Glad you had a positive experience at your Snap! At the Snap where I work, we have many people who work until 9 or 10, and that is why they join: to have a safe, clean gym to workout in after work.

Supermacho Dec 28, 2010

My wife and I just joined Snap Fitness at a Michigan location. I was buzzed in. The lady at the Front desk said "welcome to snap Fitness how many I help you" A standard business greeting. I asked what would I be billed a month for a joint membership? 49.99 a month. If there is an annual fee? No. What are the sign up fees? waived because of a special. Any other fees? No except the card fees of 10 each one time fee. She went over our agreement we were signing clearly stating that if we choose to cancel, we must give a month notice prior to billing. She was very clear that we would be billed the 1st of the month. Gave us our access cards, kindly showed us around the gym. Asked us if we had any more questions and we were on our way. We came back later that night and worked out for a few hours. I haven't had any major issues, rudeness yet. We will most likely go at night because my wife works 2nd shift and is only able to work out at night on most days. Other then that Snap fitness so far is more affordable then Lifetime Fitness.

The main reason we joined Snap was it is open 24 hours, 365 days a year so we can work out whenever we want to, no annual fee either. As one Poster stated before, most gyms have a hefty annual fee and plus they lock you in for 12 months so you can't cancel until then. Also we don't have the money to purchase thousands of dollars in workout equipment either. Since we are paying the monthly membership fee to a gym, I feel more motivated to go since I know if I don't use it then I am still paying for it regardless. Sorry to others who have had issues with them.. So far we haven't had any and hope to never have any.

Sunshine91 Sep 22, 2017

@Supermacho I have noticed at some Snap locations there is a "club enhancement fee" of around $20. It allows the facility to purchase new equipments ect, make sure to ask your location if they have this as well. It may not be considered an annual fee, just letting you know so you're not surprised if your card is charged!

• Op
    open up your eyes Dec 27, 2010

if you've ever tried to purchase health equipment, lets say a tread mill, then you know a treadmill like the ones in a health club are 1, 100 to 1300 dollars. so your paying an extra 35 dollars. it would take them 3 years of billing you to pay for 1 treadmill, and that doesn't count them paying for people to clean your sweat off the machines, or adjust the machines. or how about there power bill, or the building rental. plus they had to pay for franchise. i don't see how they stay in business with the rates they charge. they are trying to make working out affordable for you and you complain because you have to pay 35 dollars at the end of your contract.

• Li
    Lisa Jan 06, 2017

@open up your eyes Actually, a commercial treadmill brand new is $5, 000 or more.

• Ho
    Holdenm Dec 21, 2010

They are a scam. They continue to deduct $ out of people's accounts long after canceling. Then they say they automatically renew after 6 months, so they really do not have the cancellation policy they promise. It's written in small print. I joined, but then revoked, and never set foot in another gym after I signed, but they will not give me my money back, and now I'm noticing they are still deducting $ from cc.

• Ju
    Just Sayin' Oct 21, 2010

At the SnapFitnesses I, or my relatives have worked out at, yes, I signed a contract to be billed once a month, and all I need to cancel was fill out the cancellation form 30 days before moving. I have never heard anyone complain about unnecessary billing.

Now, if you want to talk about fraud, look at the places that lock you in for a 12 month contract that you CANNOT cancel. Or ones that have a low monthly rate, but then charge you an "Annual Rate Gaurantee".

• Ar
    arnie swarts noggon Jul 30, 2010

just singed up for a 4 month package willbe leaving countrry at the end of 4 monhs from now, looks like contract starts charging me further monthly the 1st day of month # 5, , , , when i will be gone, , can I pre cancle today and fill out paper work now to have it take effect 30 days before my last month (month 4), then not be charged there after beggining month 5

• 23
    2323 Jul 29, 2010

All you have to do is come in ANYTIME the month before you actually want to be done, and fill out a little form that seriously takes like 30 seconds to write your name and sign and they will stop billing you no questions asked... I couldn't think of an easier system. They let you know thats what you have to do verbally and in writing when you sign up. For all the "angry people" that couldn't figure that out - working out shouldn't be at the top of your priority list because clearly you don't know how to read.

Jo86 May 11, 2010

As a Snap Fitness Manager, these complaints come far and wide. Each business nationwide will always have "good" workers and the less fortunate. ALWAYS pay attention to what contract you're signing, and ALWAYS ask questions if you're unclear.

When I am signing up a member, I make 100% sure they are aware of the cancellation policy. WRITTEN notice is required 30 days in advance. I don't know of any other gym in the area that doesn't require this. In fact, 30 days is nothing...we have local gyms that require a 45-60 day notice.

Also, this billing tactic has proven to be most effective. Gyms that do not have control of their billing, do not last more than a year. Customer service should be #1 and it's a sad sad thing to read when other Snap's aren't living up their reputation.

Often times, members forget that they are also responsible for whatever outcome happens. It should be common sense that all things involving money and contracts should be in writing...never ever under any circumstances assume a verbal confirmation is enough.

• Dk
    DK1123 Nov 12, 2009

Snap fitness is a good gym but I will advise anyone not to join because of their billing practices. I had first won my membership in a contest so I had it for 1 year free. I had not worked out or swiped my key card for last month or this month and they just charged my account $35. I explained to them the situation and they refused to take anything off even though I haven't been in there because I didn't cancel a month in advance. This is terrible customer service for a company. I used to be a fan of snap but I will never join again unless this $35 is repaid back to me.

Sunshine91 Sep 22, 2017

@DK1123 If you're living in apartment complex and you stay at a friends house for the last month of the lease you would still be responsible for your last months payment...this is also the case for any type of financial obligation.

John and Joe Oct 14, 2009

Not only do some of the franchises continue with fraudulent billing practices as is the case with the North Highland and Glennwood locations in Atlanta, Ga. But the owner is also involved in discriminatory and harassing tactics towards anyone he feels is someone he wants out of his gym.

My lover and I were harassed and in the end the end he made up some bogus claim about my bf's body ordor as a reason for terminating our membership! Stay away from Snap fitness!

• Wr
    writerwriter Aug 14, 2009

Actually, the Snap Fitness in Antioch, Tenn, was awesome. All I had to do was call and cancel, and I was never billed again.

However, the one I signed up for in Arizona is a completely different story.

After my National Guard unit got the call that they were deploying (I wasn't selected to go), I received a short notice that I was going to be put on orders to help them out. That meant that I would be out of town a lot, and the facility I would report to has its own gym, so I wouldn't need a Snap Fitness membership anymore.

I packed my stuff and rushed out of town to immediately report. On my way out, I called Snap Fitness and told them to cancel my account because I was activated. Unfortunately for me, I did not get a name, I just remember it being a female voice.

I emptied my checking account that the gym withdrew money from (personal issues with the bank). So I didn't notice for two months that they were trying to process a payment with me, until I was able to be back home for a while, in which i deposited some money. After two months non-payment, they took out $104 (with the $35 a month membership fee). Completely unaware, I made purchases which resulted in my account being overdrawn.

I called Snap Fitness here a few times, left a few messages. I've asked them to close my account. I've also emailed the Snap Fitness here, and have yet to hear a response back.

You would think as a "local" gym they would be more understanding and have the time to reach back out to the customer, but this has yet to be shown.

noe_joker May 16, 2009

Unfortunately, these clubs are independently owned and operated. So, what happens in one club doesn't necessarily means its the standard in the others. Always, always, ALWAYS, read and understand what you are signing, and if you don't understand something... ASK!

Most states have a 3 day grace period after signing a contract, so if there is something you signed to that you don't necessarily agree to, dispute it and void your agreement.

Health clubs are businesses too. Understand if you are not using your gym membership, that doesn't mean the monthly contract disappears into thin air. Unless they hear otherwise, they have to keep the doors open just in case you do come back. If you bounce a payment, change payment information, or something happens to your dues... I'm sure there financial repercussions in your contract.

You are ultimately responsible for your own finances.

A couple of tips for canceling your Snap Fitness membership:

They require a one months notice - so no matter when you cancel, you will be billed one last time the following month for your full dues.

The notice has to be in writing. They do provide forms, however, they take written notices as well. Make sure you get a signed, dated copy of this notice.

Follow-up the last month of your membership to double check it is indeed canceled.

-former satisfied snap member