Slomin's Shieldfraud and cheating

D Review updated:

Slomin's shield offers a free alarm system installation. The problem is you better not move within 5 years!

We contacted a sales person for slomin's a little over a year ago to come out to our home to go over the product and the contract with us. Michael hoyle was who came out to talk to us. Apparently, in order to receive the free installation, you have to sign up for 5 years. Knowing that we would not be in this home for five years we specifically asked if we would be able to transfer service. Mr. Hoyle said it would not be a problem. I also asked him if there would be any cost to us. He assured us that there would be no cost at all for the move. Great! So we signed up.

Here it is 16 months later and we're getting ready to move. So we called slomin's shield and let them know. To our surprise we were told that it would cost us $600 to move our contract! We couldn't believe it! Also we were told that if we wanted to cancel there is no early termination fee that we actually have to pay for the remaining contract all 44 months!! I mean even cell phone companies only make you pay an early termination fee, but not slomin's, it's the whole amount. So the choices we were given were either pay $600 just to continue with them or $1200!

When we told them that our sales person said they there wouldn't be a fee their response was basically ‘oh well, he was wrong.' we're willing to keep their service after we move for another almost 4 years and they want to charge us for that? No one there is willing to help us. I have been unable to get a hold of our sales person. Apparently this is the old ‘tell the customer what they want to hear in order to get the deal.'

Unless you are 100% sure that you are not moving in the next 5 years (and I mean without a shadow of a doubt) then I highly suggest that you do not sign up with this company. They are unwilling to help and have very poor customer service. On top of that their alarm service isn't even that good! There have been quite a few instances when the alarm went off for over a minute and no one called us at all. Again, make sure you know what you're getting into before you let their in-home sales person sell you a lemon.

• Se
    Seby Apr 24, 2019

My fiancé (now husband) and I rented an apt together years ago. While I wanted ADT, he wanted to use Slomins so I agreed. We were only in the apt for a year before we decided to relocate? I called Slomins to let them know that we would be moving in 30 days and they told me too bad, I'm bound to a contract and have to pay them to get out of it. They wanted $1500 to exit the contract which we didn't have. I paid up through the entire lease and called again to tell them that I could not honor that exuberant amount for an alarm system. They told me that I should have read the contract thoroughly. Not only were they incredibly rude, but my co-worker had been in a similar situation and was able to negotiate an exit without penalties so they had options. Let's just say that years later, they actually put a lien on my husband in the amount of $1800 as a penalty for breaking the contract.

So on top of paying the monthly service bill on time, this works out to be an additional $150 a month on top of the base price. Who pays $350-400 a month for a few monitors in an apartment?? Pure rip-off and compared to what I pay now, $90 every 3 months for an entire 4 bedroom house. There are too many cost effective options on the market to be tied in contract with this old school company. Nobody does that anymore. It's a sign of pure desperation so my advice, steer clear. I wish I had followed my instincts and known that an ALARM company, not a bank, creditor or government agency, but an ALARM company would use mob tactics to strong-arm us into paying $400 a month AND put a lien on us for additional fees due to the loss of business, I would have run. Consider this a favor of what could happen with these thieves.

• He
    Heather.Sinclair. Jul 27, 2016

First of all, this company does not disclose verbally that you are signing a 5 year contract when you inquire and enter into a service agreement with them. You need to be aware that if you sign a contract with them, you will most likely be locking yourself into 5 years of service, and will have to pay exorbitantly high fees to be released from the contract. This to me is absolutely absurd, as so much can change in a 5 year period. I have no doubt that Slomin’s is taking advantage of its customers in this manner, and making large sums of money on fees to break contracts. Not to mention, Slomin’s has service that is limited and lacking when compared to its competitors, like ADT. I will be working to get out of my contract with Slomin’s and at this point, I certainly do not see myself continuing to use their service or recommending their services to anyone else. I will continue to leave these types or reviews on other review boards, as Slomin’s customer service department has been less than helpful.

• Ps
    psd 69 Nov 13, 2013

What happened to customer service? Slomins is awfull. My alarm never worked properly from day one. on the day I signed the contrat I asked I asked the sales rep if there is any charge for re conecting doors and windows, dut to the face that I will be replacing them in the near future, He said no Slomins has to maintain a working system for us al all times so I agreed, well they wanted to charge me to re connect the doors and windows, so I stoped paying and they canceled my contract due to non payment and are suing for money due for the term of the extensive 5 year contract. If you are one of the smart ones that read all the very small print on the contract where Slomins has all the rights and the customer has none (including the ability to file a counter suit) and if you do end up winning the case Slomins is not responsible for your attorney fees. well you are a sucker just like most of us.

• Ph
    Phil123456 May 22, 2013

I agree with the complaint to a degree. I had to move for a really good reason, but Slomins wanted to charge me ~ &1300+. I explained the situation clearer, and they zero'd the balance. They will listen to you if your reason is valid.

• Mi
    mikejoann Jul 17, 2012

I have had Slomin's in PA for over 5 yrs. I have had no real problems with them. My smoke alarm went out twice and both times they sent someone out and had it fixed with no hassle, I have the protection ins. Other than that nothing yet. I'm not really understanding why some people think that, even though they signed a contract, they should be able to move and get out of it, have it transferred and what? have Slomin's let their equipment in the current house, even though as part of the contract you agreed to continue monitoring with them for 5 yrs. Do you expect them to put new equipment into the new house and just continue your contract where you left off? I don't know why ppl agree to something then when they want to get out of it, just expect the company to do what they want. It's not the company's fault, it's yours. And NO, I do NOT work for Slomins, it just agrivates me that people sign contracts and then when they want to change it and the company refuses, they bash the company. It's not right.

John Hamilton Nov 02, 2010

It's absolutely true that if you move and you are still under contract that you have to pay the remaining balance of your contract. I moved in 2008 and had the problem at closing. We almost got the new homeowner to take over the contract but she backed out last minute and didn't want their service. So we had no equipment and no security but still got to pay for it all.

• Ke
    keithg May 07, 2010

my home burned down feb2010 i called to tell them this. they were at first sorry for my loss. they wanted to make a appoinment to see the home? i said what? the home is burned down there is nothing to see. so they sent someone anyway. they turned around and said i was not there? duh? now they want me to pay 1300 for the equipment./service. ? i said
    wait a minute, you have no compassion for my situation? i refused to pay this. now they wantto charge me interest on the so called balance. no i have been calling them making a pain out of myself. they are ignorant. i was willing to pay forthe service charge. there is no
    ammendent in the contract for or loss of home. i m living with my parents. they have not called back. instead they send a bill. next step is a attorney. sue my nieghbor and sue slomin sheild

• Mj
    mjm1998 Apr 10, 2010

I have had service with Slomin's for over 4 years and I think their service is great. They explained everything in detail when they first came out. They hooked the system up soon after, quickly, and neatly, and the tech was very helpful. We had only one problem with the smoke detector, it malfunctioned, we called them, and the next day they came and fixed it, free due to equipment protection plan I have. There haven't been any other problems yet. Their price isn't bad, I pay $103.00 every 3 months for monitoring, and equipment protection. I even emailed them a few days ago to ask a question and they called me within the hour. I'm not saying that these complaints aren't valid, but I myself am very happy with their service.

• Bh
    bhbcomplaints Mar 24, 2010

Re: Slomins Inc A++
    Joe
    New York

Joe's comment is pasted verbatim all over these Slomins complaint boards (kind of sad there are so many complaint boards for one lousy company, huh?) Joe is some toady for slomins, so ignore his pointless comments.

I am generating a class-action lawsuit against the company for their usury cancellation policy. Anyone interested pls contact me

b

Sandy Llorenty Aug 02, 2017

@bhbcomplaints I am having this same issue right now. Tomorrow I am going to court regarding this issue. What was your outcome? Can you tell me what your story is so I may show that there are more customers with similar issues? Please email me. [email protected]

• Mi
    Michael J.Franklin Jan 11, 2018

@bhbcomplaints My name is Michael and I am having the same issue withv their cancellaton policy. I had a with their service since the day installed.Every time the phone rang we hear static on the phone. We have pets and they told us to lock the pets in a room so the alarm would notset alarm off. that was last straw. I can reached at [email protected]

Savage Animal Mar 13, 2010

Just to prove my point I found this review at /URL removed/

Notice the body of the text and the names reporting them and the locations

Slomin's Shield offers a free alarm system installation. The problem is you better not move within 5 years!

We contacted a sales person for Slomin's a little over a year ago to come out to our home to go over the product and the contract with us. Michael Hoyle was who came out to talk to us. Apparently, in order to receive the free installation, you have to sign up for 5 years. Knowing that we would not be in this home for five years we SPECIFICALLY asked if we would be able to transfer service. Mr. Hoyle said it would not be a problem. I also asked him if there would be any cost to us. He assured us that there would be no cost at all for the move. Great! So we signed up.

Here it is 16 months later and we're getting ready to move. So we called Slomin's Shield and let them know. To our surprise we were told that it would cost us $600 to move our contract! We couldn't believe it! Also we were told that if we wanted to cancel there is no early termination fee that we actually have to pay for the remaining contract ALL 44 MONTHS!! I mean even cell phone companies only make you pay an early termination fee, but not Slomin's, it's the whole amount. So the choices we were given were either pay $600 just to continue with them or $1200!

When we told them that our sales person said they there wouldn't be a fee their response was basically ‘oh well, he was wrong.' We're willing to keep their service after we move for another almost 4 years and they want to charge us for that? No one there is willing to help us. I have been unable to get a hold of our sales person. Apparently this is the old ‘tell the customer what they want to hear in order to get the deal.'

Earl
    Crofton, Maryland
    U.S.A.

Savage Animal Mar 12, 2010

As a tecnician who has worked for Slomin's for 10 years I will agree that sometimes customer service can be difficult to deal with. With that being said everyone of us is a Slomin's employee and will do our best to make you happy. Some of us are more talented installers then other's and some of us have more manners and some have more knowledge then others, but we are all trying to do our job to the best of our ability.

To the complaintent who's phone line was not "seized", if your system were not connected to central station then C/S never could have retrived the event log that states your system was or wasn't armed. Further more unless the Arsonist knew your code he couldn't disable the system, there is no master kill code to disable the alarm. I'm sorry that happend to you, but your radio backup will definitely communicate in the event of a phone line failure.

To Dave, who seems to have posted this same EXACT complaint under several names at several web site's (does that seem fishy to anyone else?) To my knowlegde there is no fee to transfer your service to a new home, as long as you are moving in our service area.

To Jim, as a technicain with the company for ten years, we will not just make you sign a contract for 5 years and not give you something in return, so your not reporting fairly. You recieved something for that contract, and if you are still experiencing problems I urge you to call C/S and demand an A technician come to your home to resolve the situation.

To Joe 12345 I'm sorry you had that experience with us, we try to be as flexable as possible with our scheduleing but you have to realize there are only so many of us to cover a huge area, we are not Verizon or Cablevision and don't have the same amount of techs in the field as they do.

• Ca
    Carltun1 Feb 01, 2010

What a joke the guy supporting Slomins is. Give me a break. What is your job at the company fella? This company reeks from their cheesy commercials to their creepy cold callers here in Long Island. Sometimes you can have a lousy cold and still smell the rats out there. Having said that, people, you cannot be lazy and trust frauds who want your money without any concern about the quality of service they provide. Read the contracts !! Never assume. Also, let them sue you. IF you have a customer service complaint or you were defrauded by a lying sales rep, tell they to stick it. If they sue, let the judge decide, file a Better Business complaint, check with the Public Service Commission of New York (if they fall under the jurisdiction of PSC and are up to no good, they will get a butt kicking from the state and risk huge fines). Also, if you are afraid to be sent to collections and get reported to Experian etc., keep all your records and dispute that too. Don't cave in to these douch bag frauds folks.

jobeyman Jan 11, 2010

Lyn

Are you still pursuing Slomins regarding your alarm issue? I am having the same issue. I wrote a letter to Slomins President Jason Schwartzman, their Legal Council and cc'd as well at reported my complaint to the Better Business Bureau, the Westchester Counter Department of Consumer Protection and the Attorney General State of New York of Consumer Frauds and Protection.

It got their attention. But their response was in no way indicative of my letter which was similar to the above complaint. Instead they sent a technician to my new house, deemed the alarm system in place as not compatible (which their salesman already did), cancelled the account at the old house and sent me a bill for 1658.76 cents.

How is it working out for you?

• Ta
    tara5 Aug 12, 2009

To Joe,

You cannot say that other reviews are ridiculous! Just because you have good service from Slomin's doesn't mean that your the majority. After reading the comments obviously you are NOT!! I, too, have issues with Slomin's and cannot wait until my contract is over!!! the are a fraudulent company and something need to be done about it.

joe12345 Aug 11, 2009

Slomins Inc A++

Some of these reviews are ridiculous! First of all, Slomin's is family owned, and has been since 1923!!The equipment used by Slomins is cutting edge and up to all industry standards. Fact: Slomin's employees are thoroughly trained and experienced in all aspects of their jobs. Ive had a slomins system for 12 years and have never had a single problem. Installation was neat and clean, service extremely efficient and their customer service is extraordinary. I also have worked with Christopher Vitale in the oil department and he is sweetheart, knowledgeable and understands his customers needs. Any one who has not looked at the contract, shame on you for not reading the terms and conditions. I use Slomins for heating and security they are #1

Joe
    New York

• Sm
    SmithMD1212 Nov 15, 2017

@joe12345 You're full of $hi!... I've called and called many time, sat home watching for the Tech to complete my installation, only to lie to the company and say he came and I was not home. I've been put through so much stress with this company. So much of my time wasted and I still don't have an operation system in my home. I would NEVER trust Slomins to monitor my home.

• Ki
    Kim Jun 02, 2009

I had Slomins Alarm service installed on August 11, 2009. the service never worked properly. I call several times for their assistance, but they never could accommodate my busy schedule. They also caused some additional electrical damage to my home during the 12 hour installation. To make a long story short, they charged me for a service that was inoperable from the beginning and now charged me 1700.00 for a service that I never received.

• Ji
    Jim Feb 28, 2009

Give safemart.com a look They will gladly takeover your Slomins system for about $10 a month. No long term contracts, you can cancel at anytime. I get alot of customers like yourself that are very unhappy with Slomins, as well as ADT, Brinks, Bell South, and Monitronics.

Anna Feb 16, 2009

We have a similar problem. We are tying to cancel the poor services provided by SLOMIN"S but due to a 5 year contract either we pay $1100.00 (eleven hundred dollars) for cancelation fees or continuing paying. What a fraud! In 2004 our contract for 5 years expired and we were on a month to month contract but, due to poor service we were planning to cancel the service. As a result we received a visit from one of the sales person from Slomin's (John Bauer), who never explained about a new contract and the cancelation fees . As a result we signed under the assumption that our system was being upgraded but what we were signning was another contract for another 5 years.

• Je
    jerseygirl Feb 16, 2009

Dec 2006 our upstairs bedroom burned. It was a covered up arson. Because I had an alarm system in place with Slomin's I had a weak case. Actually, I had no case as I could not prove the alarm was shut off. I found out my alarm was not working properly a long time after with a slip of the tongue. A wire and solvent were used but even the investigator tried to say it was caused by a space heater that definitely was off and plugged into a different wall. What did not burn was stolen and they knew what to hit as our home was entered before the fire. I found a lock box lock reversed as if a left handed person had replaced it. There were other tell tale signs but Slomin's always assured me the alarm was on. I found out later it was not seizing into the main office. I put in a back up system but I still don't feel safe. No other alarm co. will talk to me while I am under contract.
    It was well organized. To be homeless in the winter with a partially paralyzed sister was horiffic.
    When the fire hit the wall to the jack, the phones went out and so did the alarm which most likely was not being relayed to Slomin's.

• Dc
    dcgirlnmd Jan 13, 2009

Hi Dave:
    I had a similar incident where a Slomins rep recently. I have contacted my attorney to assist with this matter. If you wouldnt mind leaving me your name and contact infor, would you mind assisting me with a very similar issue by submitting a written affidavit of what occurred to you and your family? Please let me know... It would be greatly appreciated...My name is Lyn, by the way :-)

Sandy Llorenty Aug 02, 2017

@dcgirlnmd Hey Lyn,
    I am having this same issue right now. Tomorrow I am going to court regarding this issue. What was your outcome? Can you tell me what your story is so I may show that there are more customers with similar issues? My name is Sandy. Please email me. [email protected]

• Ha
    Harry Steele Dec 17, 2008

Slomin's is charging me for security services it did not provide to my home at 879 Shady Beach Rd, North East Md, 21901. Slomins is charging me double the disputed amount. Slomin's has sent this double amount to collections.

Account # 1280627

Collection Company
    Allied Account Services
    422 Bedford Avenue
    Bellmore, NY [protected]
    [protected]

• Sm
    SmithMD1212 Nov 15, 2017

@Harry Steele I live in North East MD too, I contacted them in July, a sales person came out and gave me a few options. I chose a 3 year contract. When the tech came to install the system he did not have the key pads we agreed on, so he left without us having a security system. Several time I took off work, to this day I don't have an operation system, but they sent me another bill. They play stupid when I've called them, I sat watching for them all day on Sept 1, they never came but the tech says he came and no one was home. I don't trust them to be my security company. I need to terminate the contract but don't know how.