Menu
Protect America
reviews & complaints

Protect America
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

29 complaints
13 resolved 16 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Protect America. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
10:31 am EDT

Protect America - protect america alarm and monitoring - want to cancel

We sold our home in June of 2018 and have been trying to cancel the Protect American contract since then. We were told there is a three year contract, however, it is difficult to believe that there is no clause to cancel for a home sale. Our new home already had an alarm built in so we have been paying Protect America monthly for nothing. The first time we were told we need to cancel three months prior to the renewal date. I tried to call today which is about two months prior and was told I need to call back again 30 days prior to cancel. They won't just schedule the cancellation or send me any paperwork so that I can fill it out now to ensure it is cancelled. I asked to speak to the cancellation department and was told that I could not be forwarded to them unless it was 30 days prior. This is just bad business practices as I am sure they are hoping you miss the 30 days and are stuck with their contract for another three years. I have seen MANY complaints and know that I am not the only one having these issues. I have even continued to pay for an alarm I don't even have for 16 months, a total of $501.76 and am trying to cancel a contract for a system that I do not use, it should not be this difficult.

9:19 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Protect America - trying to cancel, thought it was canceled now after 9 years they are trying to get 159.00

My service with them started around nine years ago, we closed the business and they repeatedly took out the 29.95 a month bill even after we sent them a certified letter. I finally had to put a stop payment on the draft now after all these years they hire a company from Dallas Texas to not only call us but have also attached my wife's credit because somehow her Social security number was on it but it was in my name and I actually signed it!
Please help!

C
11:54 am EDT

Protect America - home security equipment and monitoring

Company forces contract signing and sends equipment which does not work in home. Begins a 30-day 'clock" after which contract cannot be cancelled from date they SIP versus date you receive bad equipment. Promise to send better equipment but clock still running despite promises to contrary. Second batch of equipment arrives and no better than first. Promise a 3rd set of equipment better still and initiate shipping process. Don't let you leave contract now until third batch arrives. Third batch arrives and still faulty gets installed with driving 1 inch holes in wall. By now, 30 days window from date of original shipping closed and company insists earlier promises to "stop the clock while they try to get equipment to work" was not a valid response and that "their hands are totally tied" and you are locked into the 350 bad equipment purchase as well as a 40 dollar am month commitment for the next few years. TOTAL and UTTER SCAM.

P
10:42 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Entered into an agreement in August 2013 for a home security system and monthly monitoring. During installation it was determined we had a faulty sensor. I was told by the technician would be shipped to replace the faulty one. As of April 2015, we had still not received the sensor, this is a violation of the agreement as Protect America was to provide all...

W
7:55 am EDT

Protect America - I will steer any one I know away from their service

I just sold my home and transferred the security service to the new home owner. However, because the paper work was not received until the 6th of October, I am still paying the entirety of this months bill. I do not expect to be reimbursed for the 6 days of the month before they received the transfer papers, but would expect the new client would be responsible for the remainder of the month and I would be reimbursed what I have paid. I was told by several representatives that they did not care that I was not enjoying the use of their service I was still responsible for the payment until the end of the month.

Not only is this terrible customer service, I believe it borders on illegal. I am a real estate investor and was planning on securing my other properties with GE Protect America; however, not only will I be surely using another company, I will steer any one I know away from their service.

2:09 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This company operates with a questionable ethics code and skirts within grey areas of the law with their contract language. I have never had a company make me feel as though I’m held hostage like this one does. In 2007 I signed a 3 year contract with ‘Protect America, Inc”. In 2010 I moved and no longer needed the system and attempted to cancel the...

G
2:54 pm EDT

Protect America - Bait and switch!

Protect America sells home security systems that appear to be inexpensive and protect your house.

The truth is that the system they promote is deeply flawed and gives you little protection unless you upgrade to a much higher cost system. They tell you that their alarm box can call out to a monitoring site with a wireless phone that is battery operated. Only after you sign a contract do you find out that the system you bought only uses your land line and the call does not go out for 15 seconds after they have broken in.

All a person breaking in has to do is unplug your alarm system or cut the phone line and the police are never notified. When I found out that my house was not really protected, a Protect America representative told me that the sound from the alarm would scare most people away and that a call to the police was not really necessary. Protect America is a bad company.

R
Apr 20, 2011 2:01 am EDT

This company should be called ripoff america. Their contract and tactics are matched by
no one anywhere! I have been trying to cancel service for months and lied to repeatedly!
These people call me at work! On my cell phone...It has to be against the law. It is harrasment
in the worst way possible! Beware and stay awy!

V
5:59 pm EDT

Protect America - You will get better use of your money if you pile it up in the middle of the street and set fire to it

Thinking of getting a home security system? Think Protect America is a good deal? Think again! Then RUN! In 2006 I prepaid a 3 yr contract for a security system. The equipment failed several times and new sensors were sent. They also failed. The equipment is junk - pure and simple - junk that they push by using the trusted G.E. name (G.E. is my next stop!). When I asked to speak to a supervisor, she told me she didn't have one. After I informed her that everyone answers to someone unless she was the owner of Protect America, she said she would have a manager call me. He sent me more replacement connectors and, as you can guess, they fell off too. I finally gave up and last summer I called to cancel my contract and the rep told me that the cancellation penalties would be more costly than if I just let the contract run it's course. Now it seems the contract did run its course and was expired in February. Tonight I received a call from a serv rep telling me I have a $69 balance and that my contract was NOT canceled. It was renewed! I never received any notification from them. At first the rep told me there wasn't a supervisor I could speak to. As a former call center employee I know that when there are reps on the phones any reputable company has supervisors on the floor. So I went to their online chat site, the rep 'Jaime' said there was a manager who would call me. The manager, 'Bradley' called and was not very helpful. He just kept saying that their contract says they renew automatically (something I don't recall seeing on their contract.) I explained all the problems I had with their equipment, and told Bradley that I spoke with a rep last summer and she led me to believe my contract would just 'run it's course'. He said it was not enough; I was supposed to send a letter. The rep who said no refund or cancellation and suggested I just let the contract run it's course never mentioned that little point. I feel as if I was ambushed by and find the practice of auto renewal without notice somewhat questionable. This is a huge RIP OFF! The reps lie and tell callers there are no supervisors and only after raising a big stink will they get to speak to a manager. Unfortunately, the so called managers are not very skilled in customer relations either. All they do is repeat the same nonsense and try to not only keep your money, but also enforce that questionable auto-renew without so much as a notice that your contract is ending. They count on the customer losing track at some point during the contract of a few years. Not only would I not recommend this shady company to anyone - I would say RUN as fast as you can! You will get better use of your money if you pile it up in the middle of the street and set fire to it!

6:16 pm EDT

Protect America - Scam

2:16 am EDT

Protect America - illegal renewal program

Notice to all protect america customers who were a victim of their How to get your money back. illegal automatic renewal program... Protect america is located in texas an per texas state law HB 1702. Protect America MUST send written notice not more than 90 days nor less than 15 days before they charge you with an automatic renewals. After I informed protect america of this and that I would file charges against them they returned all my money. Most states have these laws too under "automatic renewal of contracts." Just google your states laws and you can us that as ammo against the illegal practice of protect america.

P
7:42 pm EDT

Protect America - Ugly restocking fee, ugly product

Know this before you order the system. The "look" is pretty hideous. The control box looks like an enormous, white, 1980s answering machine. Do you really want this sitting by your primary door? The door triggers are also large and obtrusive and white. If you have dark door frames they will stick out like sore thumbs. I took it out of the box, realized I couldn't live with the aesthetics and immediately called to cancel. As I was inside of 7 days, this was allowed, however, I am being charged $80 for a "restocking" fee. (That's $80 for someone to take it back out of the box.) Yes, that was in the fine-print box that they ask you to stop and read during their pressure sales call, but that only makes it slightly less odious.

Jun 15, 2011 2:23 am EDT

i have been looking into this company to replace my current security system. although you are one of maybe five other complaints that aren't about protect americas service contract, this was your own fault. you obviously had a chance to see the unit on the website before you bought it, you should have also looked at its technical specs to see how big it was.

as for the restocking fee, i used to manage a distribution center for a car audio manufacturer. they are not simply charging you 80 dollars to take it back out of the box and get some cash out of you. that 80 dollars includes shipping it back to them, once its been delivered back to home base, it has to be scanned in by an employee and taken out of the box, then it has to be tested by another employee to make sure that you or the delivery service did not break it, then another employee has to scan it back into inventory and put it where it belongs.

think about it like this, shipping for something is usually 20-40 dollars, i'm going to high ball and say it cast 40 dollars to ship it. then three employees who al get paid 10 dollars an hour or less have to handle the contents of the package. that restocking fee is paying for the work that has to be done to RESTOCK what you didn't want.

7:46 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I tried for 8 months to stop my service. Always a different excuse as to why not. Contract not up or auto renew, or cannnot cancel on phone or by email . Asked for a signed renewal and they sent me basically a made up sheet of paper with no signature. I finally got a signed receipt from the mail service that the cancellation was received. Told them and...

11:54 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

December 8, 2009. I changed my mind about the purchase of a security system from Protect America. I had buyer’s remorse. I expect to be out-of-town for an extended period (10 days) during the holidays. Currently, I have security from my current provider and I know how this service work. Though I was impressed with their offer; I just didn’t want to deal...

S
6:49 pm EDT

Protect America - Terrible company

Protect America, Inc is a security system company. They suppose to protect you but watch out if you didn't read their contract carefully you will get trapped! In my case I got a 2 years contract and I moved 4 monthes before the contract is up. I called them for termination and I faxed a cancellation letter to them. They asking for written cancellation 60 days before otheraise they will automatically renew your contract for another year. My contract is up to 10/12/2008 and I called them on 9/3/2008 to confirm my cancellation, guess what they said they never receive the fax so I need to keep the contract for another year cause they renew it for me already. Can anyone of you imagine that you are going to pay for something not existed. And we never use it since June 2008. I believe I am not the only one, because when you compare the price they are the cheapest, there must be a lot of people like me. We the victom should get together to fight this kind of company.

2 comments
Nov 01, 2017 10:16 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have three months left on my three year contract with Protect America, I recently had the City i live in $70.00 dollars for false alarms due to faulty sensors provided by protect america. when i contacted the co. about the problem they suggested i give them a cell phone # to call me when I"m not home so i can tell them not to call the police?: if i"m not home how do i know it"s a false alarm?/. so i ask the co. to release me from the contract and they said they would with a charge = to the three monthly charges left on the contract. In my opinion the co. is terrible toward customer focus and in any dealings with them buyer beware

Oct 28, 2009 9:26 pm EDT

More complaints here ...

make sure you read page two also

1039 complaints filed against business at the Better Business Bureau

Here is a link for feedback that supposedly goes straight to the CEO!

Here is the link for your state licensing information ... contact them too!

Don't forget to file complaints by email and you can copy paste everything. It makes it easier on you. If you signed up online file with

The Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C), and the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA).

The BBB only takes complaints and makes recommendations. Complaints need to be made with the Attorney General and the IC3; the Governor ... whoever ...just copy and paste ... send it everywhere ... if you see someone recommending them; send this list of complaints! Let them know that there is way too many complaints; and over 1000 at the BBB stands for something. The BBB has started taking and logging complaints even on businesses that aren't members; so it is a good place to check.

E
7:11 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Protect America security company sold us a home security kit and sent a different kit than they had sold us. We sent it back and because they had laughed at us on the phone when we wanted to talk to an employee who would help us we wanted to cancel the service that we hadn't had the chance to use! They charged us a cancellation fee when they had...

3:25 pm EDT

Protect America - Unethical sales

They asked me to produce unethical sales. They would take advantage of anyone they could. Customers, employees and took full advantage of the elderly. This company is someone you never want to do business with. Their product is cheap. They have the worse customer service I have ever seen in my life. They do not care about their customers or their customer complaints. Management laughs at the amount of complaints they have with the Better business Bureau. They do not earn consumer report award, they pay for it. They take away money from employees checks and come up with lame excuses as to why that happened. This is constantly happens. They scream and mistreat their employees if they refuse to lie like they want. Their goal is to take as much money up front as possible and lock you into a contract.

Oct 28, 2009 9:25 pm EDT

More complaints here ...

make sure you read page two also

1039 complaints filed against business at the Better Business Bureau

Here is a link for feedback that supposedly goes straight to the CEO!

Here is the link for your state licensing information ... contact them too!

3:03 am EDT

Protect America - Scam!

So I went to their online chat site, the rep "Jaime" said there was a manager who would call me. The manager, "Bradley" called and was not very helpful. He just kept saying that their contract says they renew automatically (something I don't recall seeing on their contract.) I explained all the problems I had with their equipment, and told Bradley that I spoke with a rep last summer and she led me to believe my contract would just "run it's course". He said it was not enough; I was supposed to send a letter. The rep who said no refund or cancellation and suggested I just let the contract run it's course never mentioned that little point.

12:34 pm EDT

Protect America - Thieves

I like many others was fooled by Protect America. I signed up with them for the 3 year contract. I have luckily managed to cancel 60 days before the 3 years expired. In that period of the time 2 of the security sensors failed. So I called Protect America to replace them per their contract. They refused! They would replace the for free only if I signed up for another 3 years! What a rip off and bad customer relationship.

I managed to buy sensors by myself and tried to install them. This was some months after the contract expired. I have found out that they encoded special code into the alarm control panel so I was not able to add-replace additional sensors. When I called them they refused to give me the code! So it was like when you lease a car and after you pay the car off you will not get the keys to the car from dealership. You own the hardware, but you can not do anything with it.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM!

Their (ITI GE) alarm is worthless. It caused many false alarms and I ended up to pay police department for the false alarms, caused by their equipment.

Finally I was able to contact GE and they told me how to reset the unit to the factory default. I did it and finally I was able to set-up the alarm system by myself without thieves from Protect America.

Oct 28, 2009 7:55 pm EDT

My system doesn't work EVER! It fails all of the time, and when they state they will have someone call to fix the "under warranty" system, they never do. They couldn't even get their payment system worked out! They wouldn't take credit cards because of some kind of transition, then they wanted an automatic draft ... I told them no way ...not unless they fixed everything ... Now I just tell them no way! They had their chance!

I had someone tell me I could get out of the contract and now they are saying that I can't; the flip back and forth; and have no clue what is going on!

So I faxed and emailed them the same information that I am not paying for DEFECTIVE equipment, and a system that is not being monitored!

Everyone needs to file a complaint here if they contacted these people online!

12:25 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I got a medic alert system from Protect America on repeated reassurances over the phone from their salesman that their system worked with magicjack ( which I recommend ) with my computer. It turns out that there isn't a medic alert that will work with magicjack, according to their own tech that called me and other sourses. They've refused to refund my money...

11:34 am EDT

Protect America - Scam

This company has a nice scam going! They offer you equipment at no charge, if you agree to a 3 year contract. The salesperson tells you that you can cancel after 3 years, and the equipment is yours. I've been a loyal customer of Protect America for over 5 years.

When you agree to the contractual obligation, there is no mention of a renewal clause, which is automatic and clandestine, for 1 year periods at a time at the end of the initial 3 year contract. To cancel this service you must send in writing or email a cancellation at least 60 days before the contract expires. If you cancel 59 days before the expiration, they tell you that you are responsible and will be billed for another year. Keep in mind that you must be able to prove to them that they received a written cancellation note, which means a certified letter or the like.

THIS IS A TRUE SCAM. I really think the company is not in the alarm monitoring business as much as it is in the extortion business. I really feel sorry for the senior citizens who want alarms in their houses, and may be shammed by Protect America.

The fact that this company, who uses our great nations name in its own, would bully honest hard working people into paying for their service sighting a small clause that they didn't initially discuss and after the initial 3 year contractual commitment is met, is truly appalling! Especially when you consider the dire economical situation this country is in with hundreds of families losing their income every day.

This type of auto-renewal policy has been deemed illegal in many states like New York (see ADT's settlement with its NY contract holder), and it is only a matter of time until other states adopt similar policies.

4 comments

thank you for this posting. I am going through the same thing. They are scammers. I have s system that doesn't work and all I get is the run around from them.

Oct 28, 2009 7:58 pm EDT

Everyone needs to file a complaint here if they contacted these people online!

ps. I have already sent in TWO cancellations! And they are still ignoring them. It is going to take more than that to stop these thieves!

Sep 27, 2009 11:52 am EDT

Hi,
I just read your post and realize that there are so many victims out there after I myself become their victim. I have paid them $34.90/mo for three years without a single late payment now they nail me with the automatic renewal scam. I never receive any notice from them but I sent them cancellation letter 30 days before the expiration. They require 60 days in advance. I do not know how to start a class action but I am trying to contact all the victims and hope that some one will come out with an idea to deal with them.

Apr 22, 2009 1:51 am EDT

Stay away from this company. They will lie to you just to gain your business then will treat you like crap. find something better. They charge you for services that doesn't work and their equipment is horrible. you are better off getting a dog than using this company.

Protect America contacts