Menu

G
Author of the complaint
3:31 am
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Hello,

I wanted to write in and make a complaint against David Croft who is the current Sky f1 lead commentator. Myself and my colleagues find him extremely unprofessional with his role. His painfully obvious personal biases are my biggest concern and stand out so much that it's the reason why we are planning to not renew.
I know from many of my friends and colleges they feel the same way and agree with my view on this, though they have never taken the time to write in and express it. I thought it would be be the best thing to do, to write in and get it out there that many fans that I personally know of, do feel this way regarding David Croft.
We have heard news that Sky's new owners are also not happy with him and have a replacement lined up. I'd like to encourage you and let you know we'd be delighted at this move and would happily be buying sky again next year if the that scenario passes.
If this is the wrong channel to express this complaint please accept my apologies for the inconvenience and forward to the right channel.

Sincerely
Mr. Hunt

Helpful? 42 1
23 comments
R
May 28, 2022 3:31 am

Crofty is the only reason I still pay for F1TV after they removed the other best part about it, the pit lane channel. His commentary is so off putting I cant even watch the practice recaps because as soon as I hear his voice I get upset. Please for the love of god get an actual racing driver who knows what he is talking about instead of this sensationalized monkey.

0 0
H
May 23, 2022 3:31 am

David, is so baised, that his head is always up Lewis [censored]… and always keeps phrasing as the goat! While nearly all people know that he is definitely over the top since we seeing him making mistakes and not being that consistent any more since last year! And this while he had the best car of the field.

Further I find it a same that F1/ pro use’s nearly only English commentators” it nearly looks like a typical inbreed that are. Therefore Al lot of people around the world get fed up with F1 in the future.

So like Lewis is saying (but not in this case) we need more diversity of reporters of different country’s regarding the F1 coverage

2 0
May 07, 2022 3:31 am

David Croft spoils the coverage, if it's not telling us what he had for breakfast, it's some childish pun. Constantly calls the wrong car, shouts to the point where I have to hit mute, starts are a mess he gets so tangled over himself, I'm surprised and amazed he has been employed so long. You have a wealth of talent employed who could do better, or even keep Martin as an anchor and revolve the other commentators.

Z
Apr 13, 2022 3:31 am

Simply dumbfounded how David Croft is an F1 announcer, and even more dumbfounded he's lasted this long. I can only assume whoever hired him, doesn't watch F1...

I've watched just about every conceivable motorsport over the last 30 years (F1 for ~15 years), and listened to COUNTLESS announcers, and though there are always some that are better than others, and some you like more than others, in that 30 years, I can honestly say there were only TWO, that I thought were SO bad, I felt a need to complain.

The other was Rick DeBruhl, who covered F1 for 1 year in the States on Speed Channel after Bob Varsha left. He too, was SO bad, and had SO many complaints, Speed Channel did the right thing and let him go after one season.

I would take Rick DeBruhl in a heartbeat over David Croft... And that's saying something...

There are a dozen things I could [censored] about, but I'll just stick to just the shouting. OMG, the SHOUTING! It never matches the onscreen action, and it's simply OBNOXIOUS! I mean, the guy sounds like he's going to have a stroke just giving the starting positions.

I got in the habit of muting the sound for the first 2 laps, because it takes that long for him to settle down for even the most routine starts (and re-starts). Then I tried hitting the mute button every time he opened his mouth, but it was just too tedious. Now, honestly, and this is no BS, I just mute the entire race & listen to music... That is no way to watch F1... I no longer watch practice, and mute Qualifying as well...

I think the rest of the Sky team is FANTASTIC! Every one of them! It's staggering how one man can drag an A+ broadcast down to an F, and I give it an F because he single-handedly makes it virtually unwatchable.

David Croft would probably make for a good news anchor, or auctioneer, or better yet, calling Horse Racing, but one thing is FOR SURE: he has ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS CALLING F1 RACES. NONE!

He is, by far, the WORST announcer I've ever heard in 30 years of watching motorsport. He's the ONLY one I've ever had to mute the entire broadcast...

Just about everyone I know in the States has stopped watching F1 because they just can't stand David Croft. Most just watch the highlights now...

I can only imagine how much more of an audience they would gain if they dumped David Croft. I mean, if die-hard F1 fans can't watch the broadcast, how many casual viewers watch more than a race or two?

Formula 1 is the pinnacle of motorsport, and Formula 1 deserves better than David Croft!

621 1
L
Apr 10, 2022 3:31 am

I refuse to pay sky any money also dislike Brundle Simon and Crofty. Channel 4 is a lot less smug and pompous.

3 0

Apart from Martin B and Karun C- F1 commentators are really poor. I would much prefer to watch on C4, but they only have the rights to one live event/silverstone.

8 0
B
Dec 03, 2021 3:31 am

David Croft is a disaster. If i could watch live F1 on another channel I most certainly would to avoid the distractions caused by Croft’s inane schoolboy “humour” and his constant repetition of Brundle’s comments as if they were his own. With the raft of knowledgeable ex drivers on the team who have been in the commentary business for many years Croft is rendered an unnecessary annoyance. Please let him move on to comment on curling or bowls. Maybe that might calm him down a bit.

13 0
F
Nov 01, 2021 3:31 am

I've never watched a sport where I felt I could do a better job than the lead commentator. His incompetence is in such blatant misalignment with the quality and precision of F1. All my friends agree. Unfortunately I will not renew if he stays on.

9 0
S
Oct 22, 2021 3:31 am

As an F1 fan of over 40 years, I would like to echo every word previously written about Crofty his constant shouting in every single broadcast completely spoils viewing, he also belittles other commentators who have actually driven in F1, his angle along with that of Paul Diresta is totally biased towards Red Bull, come on Sky you have some great commentators on that team, Martin Brundle, Damon Hill, Johnny Herbert, Ant Davidson, Jenson Button, Karun Chandock, Alex Brundle F2/3 they can create excitement without shouting and uttering banal comments and if you want knowledge with personality you give us more Ted Cravitz. We feel we are suffering Shouty, Scotty and Simon give us £18.99 per month of decent commentary PLEASE!

13 1
N

The man seemingly doesn't understand the average F1 viewer understands the sport, can discern what is happening on track, and doesn't need to be spoken to in every second of TV coverage; a little silence goes a long way and this guy is just plain obnoxious.

7 0
F
Oct 02, 2021 3:31 am

Please get rid of David Croft his incompetence is extremely frustrating.
During practice I don’t think he is aware there are cars on the track!
He needs to watch the F2 or F3 coverage, the commentary is about the cars on the track.
The Stupidity of some of his comments is embarrassing.
Please get rid of him

13 0
B
Sep 26, 2021 3:31 am

I agree wholeheartedly that David ‘crofty’ Croft is an extremely annoying and unprofessional commentator. I love my F1 but find myself shouting vainly at the screen for Croft to shut up. His behaviour is like that of an annoying nine year old child with his pathetic puns and his giggling about his own juvenile ‘jokes’. He nis not in the same league as any of his colleagues on the team with respect to knowledge of his subject based on real experience but continually repeats the statements made by Brundle et al as if he is making some great revelation of his own when the conversation should really be moving on. Please eliminate him from the commentary team as soon as possible.

18 0

Please get rid of David Croft. His screaming and screeching is keeping us from watching F1 unless full use of mute button.

19 3
T
Mar 27, 2022 3:31 am

I agree. I usually watch TV with volume level set to between 36 to 40. With his unnecessary screaming all the time when I am watching F1, I have to turn down the volume to the level 9 or my only left functioning ear will feel hurting from his screaming. I wish we could still hear the engine noise but his screaming made it impossible for us to enjoy.

209 0

Please get rid of David Croft so we can watch F1 again. I have to constantly hit the mute button every time he starts screeching & screaming! Often I find myself just not watching due to him. All the other commentators are great.

Sep 12, 2021 3:31 am

The absolute worst characteristic of his commentary for me is not his inaccuracies and drivel, it's his persistent way of saying 'two thousand and twenty one'! FFS, it's twenty twenty one!😡

254 0

I agree with all those to rid of Croft. He is and never was a driver but to listen to his banal commentary you would think he was equal to the other drivers who add positively to the show. Get rid of him.
Ray Worby.

7 0
C

Do us a favor and fire the entire F1 news coverage! A bunch of incompetent commentators. Thank you

Sep 29, 2019 3:31 am

I have not missed an f1 race in over 35 years and have heard all the commentators on various channels and David Croft is by far the worst.

He talks way too much, never uses one word where 10 or more will do. I am currently watching the Russian gp and have been timing the dead air from him on the stopwatch on my phone. I was going to share this with you at the end of the race but unfortunately I just stopped it accidentally. This means I can share my finding with you early.

To lap 49 there was precisely 1min and 48 seconds of clear air where I could hear the cars.

With engine noise a factor in current f1 it would be good to hear the engines at least once every 5 laps or so.

Ask him to stop blustering, flapping and making up stories.

Restrict him to only 1 statistic per race, tell him to just use driver surnames instead of giving a full name each time. Even that would give us some quiet time.

I was really saddened to hear that he was back this year and am hopeful to hear rumours of his exit in 2020.please be true.

Sky, you are the only live coverage at the moment, last year I would switch to ch4 just because of him. I would watch all the pre and post race stuff with Martin etc but as soon as the race statlrted I would switch.

Even on the other shows he busters, buts in and upsets the rhythm.

I don't want to see anyone lose their job but This man could make a snooker match sound like the grand national and I am tired of it.

Please switch it next year somehow.

8 0

I totally agree and his shrill voice makes me want to switch off and I am an ardent F1 for more than sixty years

Christopher J Bradley

9 0
Sep 30, 2019 3:31 am

I agree 100%

Sep 12, 2019 3:31 am

Isn’t it time that sky got rid of David Croft when I watch the Grand Prix he’s a total motormouth and a gibbering idiot. He just talks rubbish for the sake of talking contradicts what he says if pulled up by another commentator and thinks he’s some fantastic stat man. Most of the stats are rubbish for instance when he quoted how much fuel it would take for a yacht to do a Grand Prix of Monaco the man is a joke also a bully. Why is it he seems to pick on Johnny Herbert about his size or his waist and constantly on at Anthony Davidson about being small he is nothing more than a bully probably was one as well when he was at school why don’t sky wake up got a fantastic team we see less of Ted Kravitz now but seem to hear and see more of the idiot please freshen it up let him just go back to his darts where is surrounded by men of his size not little people that he can abuse. And that’s without his stupid giggling.

4 0
Sep 01, 2019 3:31 am

I find David Croft's F1 commentary too flighty and breathless. He actually crowds out my own perception of the racing by flapping around and crowing loudly. I must resort to the mute button.
Mr. Layton

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

514 complaints